PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Notes - Welcome to My Life

Resource Consumer
18-09-2014, 22:30:08
Well people. As you have a genuine Saudi resident poster here (well, occasional poster) (and has Poly got one of those?) I thought I'd give you some insight into life here. No, not story of expat wife swapping photocopier fluid parties but mundane everyday things.

Like driving - I drive to work most days. I found this article on the net - set in Riyadh rather than EP but the story is the same - and it is pretty close to accurate. Enjoy :

http://leanman.hubpages.com/hub/Saudi-Arabia-Driving

zmama
18-09-2014, 22:38:29
Ooohkay more proof Saudi Arabia ain't for me. Scary!

Resource Consumer
18-09-2014, 23:11:51
You'd love driving here. Given that these guys drive on the incorrect side of the road (if left is right then right is wrong) then I worked out that they should be more scared of me than I am of them given the mayhem I leave behind me in Latvia

Resource Consumer
18-09-2014, 23:15:26
By the way. I am getting a car here. I currently have a MG (yes, really) 350. Which is a rented Chinese jobbie. It is small, 1.8 litre and OK.

Trouble is that it is a bit too small for comfort given the above.

So, I have on order a 5.7 litre Toyota Sequoia. :) One of the biggest fuckoffs to global warming you could thing of (3 litres of the engine just run the aircon)

zmama
18-09-2014, 23:18:45
No, you don't want me driving anywhere. I only have one eye now :D

MDA
18-09-2014, 23:29:16
Pfft. Way less dangerous than two eyes texting.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
18-09-2014, 23:42:02
You just have to move your head real fast from side to side to get the parallax effect going. The nosebleeds are a bonus.

Resource Consumer
18-09-2014, 23:57:31
You can do up and down as well and cover the overpasses :)

Dyl Ulenspiegel
19-09-2014, 07:06:14
Must be an arab thing. In a small mountain town here (Zell am See), the Arabs arrive in huge quantities during summer as they love the rain. And they drive really, really bad.

Almost as bad as the dutch.

The Arabs also have some other funny habits if you listen to the Locals there.....

Resource Consumer
19-09-2014, 19:49:47
i think that's right - even over the border in Bahrain (generally more civilised) the driving is still awful

Fistandantilus
20-09-2014, 00:16:29
Can't be worse than italy

Oerdin
20-09-2014, 02:26:31
No, you don't want me driving anywhere. I only have one eye now :D

Women aren't allowed to drive there any way. I guess the men couldn't stand it if it turned out the women were better drivers than Saudi men.

jsorense
21-09-2014, 18:50:50
I don't cry for Keith.

Provost Harrison
21-09-2014, 22:51:00
Sounds like hell on earth - rather you than me. Besides it sounds like the hottest place on Earth. I wouldn't be able to cope coming from the coldest place on Earth (Hull) :)

Dyl Ulenspiegel
22-09-2014, 06:39:46
The Saudis are proof that humans should not live in such climates.

Oerdin
24-09-2014, 04:18:18
Must be an arab thing. In a small mountain town here (Zell am See), the Arabs arrive in huge quantities during summer as they love the rain. And they drive really, really bad.

Almost as bad as the dutch.

The Arabs also have some other funny habits if you listen to the Locals there.....

The locals drove like animals in Iraq. We are taking five cars side by side going down a two lane road with another one swerving on to the dirt shoulder into pedestrians to get around them. Honking does no good as they are all honking all the time anyway. I'm convinced the Iraqis thought their car horn was some sort of musical instrument.

Worse there was a problem with US military vehicles getting attacked if they got stuck in the chaos the locals called traffic so many of the American units ordered their men to just start ramming local cars if they didn't get out of their way. It turns out a 2.5 ton army truck with a battling ram welded to the front wins against some goat herder's 1985 Opel.

I'm sure that move didn't win any hearts and minds but as soon as word spread everyone got the hell out of the way when they saw military vehicles coming.