PDA

View Full Version : nba draft question

paiktis
03-07-2013, 08:00:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oaw0_zw9LGs

giannis got drafted at n. 15 at the nba for milkwaukee (if i spelled it correctly) . Aparently this is the highest nba draft for any greek player yet.
One question: how do NBA drafts work? What does the number 15 mean? There are 14 before him that are going to play before him?
Isn't he going to get thrown immideatly in the court? (as he should to gain experience, nevermind he's stilll a little thin for professional NBA IMO)

zmama
03-07-2013, 16:08:55
14 ahead of him yes, but spread over all the teams - not 14 to one team. His playing time will depend on how the team is doing. If they really suck a rookie like him might get a bit of time on the floor playing.

paiktis
03-07-2013, 18:34:47
ah ok. I googled and there are 30 teams in the nba. so that puts him right in the middle i guess.
he also got a 1.5 million dollar contract.
not bad from playing in a small community team straight to the nba :)

Funko
04-07-2013, 07:47:30
I prefer the bottle conditioned NBA

paiktis
04-07-2013, 15:35:28
what does bottle conditioned mean? :)
Something like home grown? :)
Well most NBA players are coming from america and there's not enough interest to go to the NBA from europe anyay. Gianni could win more money playing in Europe, but NBA is his dream so who are we to deprive it from him?

Funko
04-07-2013, 16:02:36
It's a pun about beer. Draft beer comes out of a tap, bottle conditioned means they brew the beer differently, especially to mature in bottles.

zmama
05-07-2013, 13:49:06
NBA means nut brown ale?...my favorite :D

Back!
05-07-2013, 15:04:56
paiktis, the 30 teams get assigned a pick order

in general, the worst teams pick first, so to help rebalance the teams strength
"picks" can be traded too (a weak team can trade their good calling position for a good player already in the nba) so a team can have more than one pick in the first 30

barring this, getting called as 15th means that 14 teams already had the right to choose a player before, and preferred to pick other players because they thought they were stronger than Giannis, or they better suited their needs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NBA_Draft

Milwaukee had no earlier picks from trades, so that was the first player they had the chance to choose. Being #15 only means that other 14 supposedly better players had already been taken by other teams.
But Giannis was the best Milwaukee thought there was to pick from those left. His chances to play will depend on the rest of the Milwaukee squad, and how convincing will be his display in the pre-season

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2013/06/27/grades-pick-by-pick-cleveland-cavaliers/2465505/
here's a pick-by-pick analisys by USA Today
15. Milwaukee Bucks: SF Giannis Antetokounmpo, Greece

The youngest player in the draft has tremendous potential. But there's not a lot known about him. Antetokounmpo may stay in Greece, as is typical for Greek players, for a few years. He has a great wingspan and is a very smooth athlete. He already has shown great handles and reminds scouts of Nicolas Batum. The Bucks could use help on the wings, but this pick is one for the future, possibly even three or four years down the road.

Grade: B

Back!
05-07-2013, 15:14:18
rating for the 2 picks by Milwaukee

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

New faces: No. 15 SF Giannis Antetokounmpo, No. 43 SG Ricky Ledo

No team swung for the fences quite like the Bucks. In five years, Antetokounmpo and Ledo may be two of the 10 best players from this draft. Antetokounmpo has huge upside, as much as anyone outside the top seven. He also was the youngest player in the draft and probably is two or three years away from coming to the NBA. The Bucks may have drafted him with the intent of keeping cap space open for free agency, but for a 2013 playoff team with big holes to fill, the choice seemed strange. Ledo could be a contributor next season, though. He's mostly an unknown because he was ineligible to play last season. Look back at these picks in five years, when a clearer picture is formed.

it's suggested that the Bucks didn't even pick him to make him play this season, but have just acquired the rights on him, intending to leave him to mature 2 or 3 years, still in Greece (or elsewhere)

paiktis
05-07-2013, 16:14:26
Ah ok I see :)
There are like 60 picks. Weakest team picks first from the draft to "equalize" a bit difference in strength of each team. Alright I get it! :)
Well I do believe he's young to play for the NBA too like he is now (because there's a lot of muscle in the NBA) OTOH I think it would be catastrophic not to play since he is in his formative basketball years and should be in the court as much as possible.

I heard in an interview that he was very keen on playing for the NBA and was preparing to leave for the US ASAP.
I wonder what the draft means.

For example if he didn't go to the NBA he would probably go in panathinaikos (my team, won so many european championships, I've lost count)..
Does that mean that for 2 or 3 years he can play in whatever team he wants?

It's cool to play in Greece for 2 or 3 years but does he have the right to play for whatever team he wants untill the Bucks call him?

Anyway I don't know much about NBA but I'm Milwaukee bucks now :D

Koshko
12-07-2013, 02:08:48
rating for the 2 picks by Milwaukee

it's suggested that the Bucks didn't even pick him to make him play this season, but have just acquired the rights on him, intending to leave him to mature 2 or 3 years, still in Greece (or elsewhere)

Given the very limited number of players per team, acquiring rights and having them develop overseas is fairly common.