PDA

View Full Version : Cheapskate Sid - How Firaxis keeps the CD in your drive

Resource Consumer
29-11-2001, 22:43:28
Maybe this is part of rip-off Britain. If we are unique in the world then I apologise to Firaxis and abuse their marketing agents in this country.

However,

You buy your nice big CivIII box - no DVD housing here note - a quality big box company as we would expect, wouldn't we.

You get :

A manual. Big on print, small on much useful.

plus

a CD in a little paper packet. No proper CD box.

Now, I like to throw away these arrogant boxes (space, in London, costs money) and keep the CDs in a rack. Clearly Firaxis are telling me something here by not offering me a case.

Cheapskate Sid

Cheapskate Firaxis

What's new.

Funkodrom
30-11-2001, 12:09:23
I really like the new DVD size boxes!

C.G.B. Spender
30-11-2001, 12:15:06
but I don't like the "it's all on CD" manuals

Funkodrom
30-11-2001, 12:39:30
I never read manuals anyway.

C.G.B. Spender
30-11-2001, 13:08:45
I heard the the Xtra Xpensive Flight/Train Simulators don't have manuals Anymore. Sad.
I bought a game compilation and it didn't even have the paper packages, the box hat small holes for the CDs. 3 of them were scratched and I had to argue at the shop ("Hey, you still have the 12 other CDs").

Venom
30-11-2001, 13:12:17
That's the one thing I'll miss about the big boxes (because they eventually will go away), I'll miss good, informative manuals. What are you gonna do when your playing the game and you have a question? Will you shut down the game to check the manual.txt file? Or will you go on as you were before?

Aredhran
30-11-2001, 16:09:13
Mine came with a proper jewel case.

Funkodrom
30-11-2001, 16:10:26
Originally posted by Venom
That's the one thing I'll miss about the big boxes (because they eventually will go away), I'll miss good, informative manuals. What are you gonna do when your playing the game and you have a question? Will you shut down the game to check the manual.txt file? Or will you go on as you were before?

They should make it context sensitive interactive in game help. Hit F1 pause tha game and to get help on whatever you are doing now and access to the full manual.

Or Alt-Tab

Venom
30-11-2001, 16:16:19
I figured on Alt-Tab, but for many games going to windows will crash the game.

The in game manual will have to be the way to go IMO.

Funkodrom
30-11-2001, 16:17:17
yeah, I've noticed that too.

Venom
30-11-2001, 16:29:40
Then we are in agreement.

jsorense
30-11-2001, 19:15:57
That is shocking!

Resource Consumer
30-11-2001, 20:45:17
Aredhran. Right that does it.

Next week, I am going to ask Firaxis and see what they say about it.

Darkstar
30-11-2001, 21:36:26
I never read the manuals to games. Unless I really, really, really love the game.

When I get a new game, I install it and jump right in... if I have a LOT of trouble with the game, I'll play the tutorial through until it shows me how to do that particular bit, at which point I dump out of the tutorial, and go back to playing.

I don't even bother with any campaigns until I've played through a few skirmishes or single sessions things.

Now, when I do really really really love the game, I will eventually READ the manual. Unless it's on disk. No manual that's in pdf format is ever worth reading. Few in Word or text format are worth it.

A good game has a good in game help system, which allows you to look up whatever it is you want to. Some games, like SMAC and the Civ series, tends to need deep manuals/help systems because there is so much going on. Others can do with a couple of sentences that can be popped up. It just depends on the game.

As far as Alt Tabbing crashing the game... it depends on how they make the game. Many games do just fine Alt Tabbing. Some pause automatically, some don't when you Alt Tab. The games that like to pretend it's not running on a Windows box are the ones that tend to crash when you tab out of them.

Resource Consumer
30-11-2001, 22:32:24
Darkstar,

How was your CivIII packaged?

C.G.B. Spender
30-11-2001, 23:24:41
Why don't you send Firaxis a package of 10 jewel cases.

IoT
04-12-2001, 05:33:09
In the US it was big box, manual, tech tree poster (inaccurate) and CD in a proper plastic case.

Only played it a few times - couldn't abide it - too slow. I'm kicking my EQ habit now by playing Sim City 3000 - and tho the game is great it's a buggy POS.

IoT - 15 days without playing EQ

Darkstar
04-12-2001, 07:10:06
I bought the Limited Edition, so I'd get the cool collector cookie tin. And was HIGHLY impressed by the CD coming in a cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap cardboard cover. And the tiny tech fold out thinging... it's actually BIGGER on my screen, panel for panel, by quite an amount.

Oh well... I hadn't wasted much money on software for several months...

C.G.B. Spender
04-12-2001, 07:43:30
I think I'm going to buy Civ3 just to shout at Sid!