PDA

View Full Version : New York

paiktis
04-03-2013, 16:03:05
In what neighborhood would one little sweet greek look for accomodation?
Somewhere where it's not expensive but you're not shot at for wearing the jeans (you know).

Let's say for a week how much money would I have to fork out for accomodation of two people?

Once there, what is there to see?

The liberty statue, manhattan, surely a broadway show (do I have to book a ticket from before?), nice punk AND jazz clubs that is nice to go?

What are the posh neighborhoods and what are the low down?

Can I go to harlem?

Thanks.

I'm thinking about it. Not yet decided.

Near NYC, what other cities of note are there? Can we take a train and go to see the white house or is it too far away?

Are there any good like soul kitchen restaurants with music that we could visit?

Any unique like items to shop?

Thank you dear yankees.

MDA
04-03-2013, 16:53:40
You could take a train to see the White House, but I don't recommend the Acela - it doesn't save much time and is much more expensive, regular rail is fine. I think it only took a couple of hours each way, and the Acela is not much faster.

Ellis Island is more interesting (historically) than the Statue of Liberty. You can take pictures of the statue from the ferry on the way there. The 9/11 memorial can kill an hour or two, but can be a pain to get to. The old tenements/tenement museum was OK if you're interested in that sort of thing.

People like riding to the top of the Empire State Building and looking around, but I did not do this.

John's Pizza - there's one in the Times Square area. You can't go to NYC without getting pizza. I'm sure there are other places that are good, too, but I don't live there so don't know.

Subway is full of rats because the native barbarians take food down there. :gasmaske:

If you see men with bandanas shoving and yelling at each other, avert your eyes and run away.

zmama
04-03-2013, 16:54:58
The Iridium Jazz club....for Jazz, blues, rock. No idea what punk clubs are hot. Haven't been to the city in years.

Broadway shows...if you want a particular one, gotta get tickets ahead of time.

I'm not much for shopping and for fun I love the museums in NYC

No idea about places to stay, always stayed with family in the suburbs.

If you want to go to Washington DC from NYC, plan on staying the night in DC, it's not that close.

zmama
04-03-2013, 17:02:01
Oh and the Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem is yummy and often they have a blues band.

Funko
04-03-2013, 17:18:09
The top of the Empire State building and looking around was great, get there when it opens to minimise queueing. The cafe in the base of the Empire State was surprisingly both good and not that expensive.

paiktis
05-03-2013, 15:05:34
precious information, I'll write it down thank you :)

jsorense
05-03-2013, 20:26:32
NY, NY, one of the greatest cities in the world. Just go and wonder at its awesomeness.
All the foods of the world, Central Park, and the museums, oh, the museums. The place is friendly and no more risky than your home town.
A bit expensive, but not as bad as Europe.

MDA
05-03-2013, 21:13:05
YOUR home town, maybe.

jsorense
05-03-2013, 21:16:17
YOUR home town, maybe.
Shhhhhhh, don't scare him off. ;)

zmama
05-03-2013, 21:40:18
It's much riskier than where I was born....well unless you are a heifer or a steer :D

MDA
05-03-2013, 22:56:59
Yeah, I don't think where I was born was on most maps at the time. :) Slight risk during hunting season.