PDA

View Full Version : spices

paiktis
16-02-2013, 19:17:42
a friend of mine said that the whole hoopla with the new world was the spices.
spices didnt grow in europe and there were actually wars fought over pepper because lets face it, nothing beats a well seasoned stake.

following this ittinerary i followed the advice of a dear auntie who hails (as does half the family) from asia minor (the great cities of smyrna (great cooking and witchcraft love recipees and spells) and constantinople (great royal cooking)

and my road led me to a bustling with activity narrow alley of old athens centre.
i located the said store which allegendly has amazing seasonings.

there was sentsuan(?) chinese pepper, salt from the imalayans, salt from the med sea (ok not so diffucult) and all sorts of exotic and i bet great condiments.

there was also a huge row of people waiting. the cue went all the way out on the pavement.

i was bored to wait for so long but next time i will go there.

i went to another condiments store that didnt have so much people and bought a bag of mixed pepper (red and black mainly). i asked where its from and the guy said from america (greece, he says, has great botanical/herbes, the spices come from the new world)

i woner if thats true, it seems to collerate with the tale my friend told me

jsorense
16-02-2013, 23:09:56
Istanbul

paiktis
17-02-2013, 00:08:42
Eis - tin -polin (To the City) = is tin polin =istanpolin=istanbul
pig greek

MDA
17-02-2013, 01:03:44
not Constantinople?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
17-02-2013, 09:03:11
Byzantion, really.

Pepper was traded from SE Asia to Europe, mostly via Egypt and Venice. In the 15th century pepper was pretty much a bulk commidity, however; the real money was in the more exotic stuff (for example Zinamon IIRC).

paiktis
17-02-2013, 10:32:13
ah could be.
i also got scolded for buying meat at the supermarket. it's dutch (veil???) and italian chicken. they are very cheap but aparently they are the worse you can buy. good for poor immigrants but not for rich ones.

the thing is i went to the meat market and they fooled me. they gave me a stake that was full of lard.

now i have to find greek meat that is not full of antibiotics and all the shit that dutchies/italians put in their freak cheap meat but authentic greek.

but the guy who sold me the allegendly greek meat was foreign.

and get this.

i was walking with the SO at the huge meat market, there was a pakistani guy on one stand and a "white" guy on the other, and like automatically i went to the "white" guy thinking it would be more safe and i got fooled.

now i'm returning to the pakistani guy who i passed earlier on and ask for greek meat. i bet my ass he will be more trusthworhy than the other easterneuropean bojo.

you cant fool the fooler fool

paiktis
17-02-2013, 10:37:45
and he fooled me twice the little prick.

one time i asked two stakes, he steps in front of me blocking my view and actaully packs three stakes (=more wight more money) one of which was full of fat, not edible (the other two were great).

Now i return to the huge meat market (allegendly the best you can buy) and i go again at that one and ask fro three stakes and i get in front of his face and he still goes and blocks my view!!!!!! and again one of the three is full of fat!!!!
fucking prick. and then i saw at the receipt he's some foreign asshole.

i either return and piss him off in front of all his consumers or i go to the pakistani guy.

i think i'll go again at him and demand i choose the stakes and if he doesnt like it i make a scene.

i just dont like to be fooled, especially when i travel a good deal to reach the meat market.

although i think i located a meat place near my house where they do have greek meat. i could also look there.

i didnt know i was buying crap unhealthy meat all that time. its quite a shock as i now dont rely on pizzas and take away anymore but can perform little feats of miracle with my cooking. i'm getting quite good at that

Dyl Ulenspiegel
17-02-2013, 12:18:32
If it's a big meat market, forget it anyway. The only chance to get regional produce is at the small butcher shop of your trust that has built his business on this trust. Only there you may have a 50% chance of not getting cheated.

zmama
17-02-2013, 18:04:10
The friend was partially right, the "new world" was mostly discovered by people looking for faster routes to the spices. A couple spices are new world, nutmeg and mace. The new world is also where chili peppers are from...and potatoes and corn and some beans.

Oh and chocolate!

Lesson over

paiktis
17-02-2013, 18:15:33
there's actually i funny tale about patatoes.

when they first came to greece the gov offered them for free so people get accustomed to them.

but nooe would touch them, they were too suspicious of this new food.

seeing this (I think we had a king back then) the king ordered for the pataoes to be placed in the middle of a central square and guarded 24/7.

he ordered noone to go around them, that they were forbidden.
he also, secretely, gave the order to the soldiers to turn a blind eye to anyone who would try and come and get some patatoes.

surely as rain, when the night descended, and then dawn came, all the patatoes had gone!!!

a testament to the rebelious spirit i guess.

tell some poeple something is fobidden, they're bound to try it :D

(and then patatoes cought on in greece, like everywhere else)

Dyl Ulenspiegel
17-02-2013, 19:30:46
The same tale is told for Frederick II and his Prussians....

paiktis
17-02-2013, 19:54:50
well that is funny indeed....
i wonder. the connection must probably be that both were german?
(I think kings came from bavaria, it was something like their export commodity, for greece that certaintly was the case afaik).

i wonder now if indeed it happened, if it happened in greece or prussia or in both? maybe elsewhere too
i suppose it can be relatively easy to discover for sure

paiktis
17-02-2013, 20:11:49
"The way Kapodistrias introduced the cultivation of the potato remains famously anecdotal today. Having ordered a shipment of potatoes, at first he ordered that they be offered to anyone interested. However the potatoes were met with indifference by the population and the whole scheme seemed to be failing. Therefore Kapodistrias, knowing of the contemporary Greek attitudes, ordered that the whole shipment of potatoes be unloaded in public display on the docks of Nafplion, and placed severe-looking guards guarding it. Soon, rumours circulated that for the potatoes to be so well guarded they had to be of great importance. People would gather to look at the so-important potatoes and soon some tried to steal them. The guards had been ordered in advance to turn a blind eye to such behaviour, and soon the potatoes had all been "stolen" and Kapodistrias' plan to introduce them to Greece had succeeded."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ioannis_Kapodistrias

so apparantly it wasnt a king but capodistrias who was a governor of the early state.

but as you said that this frederic the 2nd did it too, maybe capodistrias got inspired by him?
funny stuff :beer:

paiktis
17-02-2013, 20:19:36
and here is frederic the 2nd apparently :D

http://niemann.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/the-legend-of-the-potato-king/

Dyl Ulenspiegel
18-02-2013, 09:31:59
A rural legend.

paiktis
18-02-2013, 15:43:41
Is this also a tale been told in other countries?
ducthie?
frenchie?
amerikanski?
italiano?

please report
thank you