PDA

View Full Version : Smart phone apps

Lurker
04-01-2013, 19:11:46
Ok, it will probably come as little surprise to anyone that I don't own a smartphone. I have, however, thought of an app I'd like to have if I did own one. Couple of questions:

How can I find out if something similar already exists?

What's the best way to make money with an app? By that, I mean do you simply charge for it and take a cut or do you give it away for free and have some kind of advertising scheme associated with it and hope to make money that way?

If this works out, drinks are on me. :beer:

zmama
04-01-2013, 19:17:43
For the first part of the question, Google is your friend. For the second part, dunno.

I thought the drinks were always on you!....and the table, the seat and the floor.

Lurker
04-01-2013, 19:31:22
Couldn't find anything on google, but admittedly I didn't go past the second page.

Venom
04-01-2013, 21:38:48
Google, or search the iTunes store for something similar.

Second part, well that's up to your business model, and the service you're providing. I think most individually developed apps just charge a fee. I don't think the ad business really helps in the mobile world unless you're getting hundreds of thousands of views...like Angry Birds or something. Or if you're backed by a corporation who probably already has a marketing deal with companies.

Funko
06-01-2013, 15:56:42
smart phone, dumb owner.