PDA

View Full Version : The Morrowind thread

Shining1
28-05-2002, 07:34:38
Verdict: It's great, if you can get it to work (and you should be able to).

Post character details and philosophies here!

MDA
28-05-2002, 14:08:45
While you're at it, nag MDA to finish the review.

The other thread must have sunk.

I'm a Khajit thief at the moment - I've played around with a warrior with alteration, restoration, and mysticism, and an unarmored, fist-fighting alchemist/conjurer/somthing-something.

I found an amulet activatable for 80% chameleon - hardly fair for a player with already high stealth. Lots of other items that make the game less challenging - throw them into the nearest large body of water if it gets easy!

the thief I have is level 20, and I took down a golden saint before I knew what I was up against. I lifted a partial set of glass armor (no gauntlets helm or boots - but Khajit can't wear boots and the helm might not fit either), so now he's got an alien green glow about him. The early levels are definitely the most fun as far as battles go. Fortunately, combat isn't really what the game is about. I take pictures periodically as my wardrobe evolves. Kind of fun to look through them.

I enchanted a pair of pants(that's trousers, not BVDs) with permanent water walking - now I have to take off my pants if I want to go swimming. Makes sense. Self-respecting Khajit would pay any price to stay out of the water, I think.

Funkodrom
28-05-2002, 14:13:44
Why is it any different from any other RPG or what's so good about it? I could wait for the review I suppose.

MDA
28-05-2002, 15:32:35
I was really impressed by the guilds and how they all have different, sometimes conflicting interests.

I was blown away when I asked a member of the fighters guild to help the thieves guild out with a problem of mutual concern (won't ruin with details) and had the guy at the fighters guild give me a disapproving "So.... you're working for the thieves guild as well, eh?" Lots of intrigue and politics among bunches of different factions. Their appears to be a potential secession/revoloution in the works. Difficult to sort out whose side you want to be on, if any, but the game appears open enough that you can choose any side you like and still finish the game (not that I'm even close to that yet).

Choices of character makeup all appear to be viable, although some are more challenging than others.

Weather, water, and sky effects are very cool.

Funkodrom
28-05-2002, 15:48:43
I should probably get back to Baldurs Gate II sometime. A few months ago I left the city for the first time but I haven't played it since then.

Mightytree
28-05-2002, 16:18:40
Originally posted by MikeH
Why is it any different from any other RPG or what's so good about it? I could wait for the review I suppose.

I took this from the official site.

"The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is an epic, open-ended single-player game where you create and play any kind of character you can imagine. Be the noble hero embarking on an epic quest, or an insidious thief rising to leadership of his guild. Be a malevolent sorcerer developing the ultimate spell of destruction, or a reverent healer searching for the cure to a plague. Your actions define your character, and your gameplay changes and evolves in response to your actions. Confront the assassins' guild, and they take out a contract on you. Impress them, and they try to recruit you instead. No two sagas are the same in the world of Morrowind.

Players can choose to follow the intriguing main storyline, or set off to explore the huge province of Morrowind and the many interesting people and exotic locations it contains. Vast cities and remote villages dot the landscape, each with its own unique look and feel. Hundreds of quests and adventures await as you interact with characters and learn more. Regardless of whether you play a murdering assassin or a noble knight, the game holds endless possibilities and allows you to revisit the main storyline at any time.

With Morrowind, the unparalleled Elder Scrolls character system is coupled with an exponential increase in the world's richness of detail and level of visual splendor. Utilizing the latest in 3D technology, Morrowind will feature hyper-realistic textures and polygon counts, real-time shadows, vast landscapes, skeletal based animation, and a complete weather system.

Gameplay is further extended with the inclusion of The Elder Scrolls Construction Set, which will be included with the game. This powerful tool is being used to create the entire game, and will also allow players to modify and add to Morrowind in any way they see fit. Change character or creature attributes and skills, introduce new weapons or dungeons into the game, or create entire new worlds to explore. You'll be amazed how simple it is to use, and astounded by how much bigger it makes an already immense game universe. Players can easily swap files and add or delete them from their game with the click of a mouse, ensuring that no file can ever damage your game or change it permanently."

Summary: It's open-ended. You can do whatever you want. No need to follow the main quest line if you don't want to. It's only a small part of the game anyway.

My only character so far is a Wood-Elf Thief. I've played this game for about 30 hours and been to about 6-8 cities so far and I'm only level 4. I try to play my char as realistically as possible, meaning I only steal or break into houses when I really need the money or when a quest requires me to do so. I also avoid the usual cheesy powergamer leveling techniques, like jumping up and down just to raise your Acrobatics (?) skill. That's just not realistic, I can't see anybody doing that in real life . :D In one word, I roleplay. I've avoided the main quest so far and I'm only doing quests for the Thief Guild at the moment. It's a pity advancement in guild is dependant on your char level though. I've found no good equipment so far, all I'm wearing I bought from a shop.

Sean
28-05-2002, 17:26:17
That sounds exactly like Daggerfall. Try harder.

Funkodrom
28-05-2002, 17:41:26
Summary: It's open-ended. You can do whatever you want. No need to follow the main quest line if you don't want to. It's only a small part of the game anyway.

Excellent! that's what I wanted, thanks. Only RPG I've played is a few hours of BGII so a lot of that didn't make any sense when I read it before.

MDA
28-05-2002, 18:06:45
Originally posted by Sean

You have to work to find places to fall through the floor. It doesn't seem to be as spontaneous a thing as it was in Daggerfall.

Crashes to desktop are less frequent, and don't lock up the entire system. Maybe thats XP and not Morrowind, though.

I have found a lot of bugs that allow you to exploit the game though. This weekend I accidentally found a way to make constant effect enchantments with ANY soul gem. You only need one Uber-gem w/soul to get it to work. Still have to find a way to come up with the cash to pay, unless you're an enchanter yourself.

Self-control is the current workaround to most of the bugs I've run across. (Resist the urge to jump in puddles in the corner of otherwise dry caves, and don't use exploits that make combat any easier than it already is.)

Mike,

Combat is a LOT simpler in Morrowind than BG2. Only one character to control, and lots less save/reload to get through a battle. You can usually run away, since it doesn't matter what you do. BG2 is too linear to let you run away and never return. Chances are there's a plot advancing event at the end of that hallway full of nearly invulnerable demons.

Sean
28-05-2002, 18:15:26
MDA, at least it isn’t as bad as resting in a shop until after closing, then taking your pick.

Funkodrom
28-05-2002, 18:16:34
I didn't get that far into BGII but I was really enjoying it, this sounds interesting. I like the idea you can do what you want. You can't be really evil in Baldurs Gate.

MDA
28-05-2002, 19:38:00
The only "love interest" in the game is for male characters (unless you want to be leered at by one of the House Hlaluu Lords), and she's part cat. :)

Hellooooo Kitty.

I did kill a slaver the other day that was apparently critical to keep alive for the main storyline - I got a warning message to revert to a previous save or "live in the hellish(?) world you have created". Apparently, you can become a vampire in this game and join a vampire clan, but they ditched the lycanthropy.

Mightytree
28-05-2002, 21:29:37

:confused:

Huh?

I didn't play Daggerfall. I haven't had a single crash so far and I haven't fallen through anything either yet. And the game itself is great. I'm a happy customer. :)

Sean
28-05-2002, 21:30:35
Daggerfall contained a world (and I quote from a review I read once) about the size of Turkey. It was huge. You could do anything, and rumour has it only 2 people ever completed it.

Shining1
29-05-2002, 02:53:39
My Orc is now permanently dead. Berserk is the most dangerous skill in the game - nice hps boost, but you lose it after a minute, and if your stuck before 25 with no healing, and you've used your only save 10 seconds before...

Cumber
29-05-2002, 03:11:40
It pretty much is Daggerfall, but done with all the advantages of the latest computer technology, not to mention the knowledge they gained from having done games like this before. The world is much smaller, but this is a *good* thing; it's also much more detailed and varied, rather than Daggerfall's near infinite world in which everything was the same. It also appears to be much less buggy. :)

If you played Daggerfall and liked it, you'll love Morrowind. If you hated Daggerfall (for what it was, not for the bugginess), you probably won't like Morrowind. That simple.

Cumber
29-05-2002, 03:26:44
I have an Argonian thief/sorcerer crossbreed character. I don't use destruction magic though (what kind of skulking shadows person flings lightning bolts around?). Slightly departing from theifiness, my weapons of choice are the spear and the longbow, but as I wouldn't want to be encumbered on the job with such large unwieldy pieces of equipment, I summon bound ones whenever I feel the need for them. :)

Still level 1 at the moment, and a rising member of both the Mages and Thieves guilds.

Shining1
29-05-2002, 07:20:06
I have a nice tough redguard now with a Steel Dai-Katana. Fighting my way through problem won't be an issue, the poison and disease resistance is nice (though it weakness my restoration magic since I can't heal myself so often), and Adrenaline rush is fantastic - now that I've learned my Orc lesson.

(Berserk is a poor skill - you lose all your agility and so get knocked down by ANYONE using an axe or hammer. AR gives you +50 agility so you more or less can't be knocked down by anyone.)

MDA
29-05-2002, 18:29:19
You can beat anything with Adrenaline Rush. I have a Redguard with heavy armor and spear, adrenaline rush allowed him to kill a daedric lord(?) in a shrine at about fifth level (imperial armor and bound spear). He's going to finally die imprisoned in my saved game folder. It was fun whipping up on everyone for a while, but he got boring. Maybe I'll let him out somday and see how he fares against the entire town guard.

LadyRachel
30-05-2002, 02:15:57
Originally posted by Shining1
....now that I've learned my Orc lesson.

And you learned it so well you were back to playing another one within 2 hours.

Shining1
30-05-2002, 02:17:40
I kinda found the same thing. Back to Orc Blade Master - and I'm about level 4 now, have only just caught up with the Long Blade level of my Redguard.

Adding skills like Security, Alchemy, and armourer makes the game a lot more interesting...

The Orc's high WillPower and Resist Magicka is nice - and I haven't used Berserk once.

Shining1
30-05-2002, 02:30:11
My Orc lesson consisted of "Don't save your game when you have 2 hps left and your Berserk/Adrenalin Rush is about to wear off."

Now I understand that.

LadyRachel
30-05-2002, 02:58:01
I'm playing a highly personable Breton Alchemist-Mage (Destruction, Mysticism), with a smattering of Marksman and Short Blade for good measure. Basically I'm spending most of my time running around documenting all the various Alchemical ingredients I can find (I have about 2 and a half pages of scribbled notes after 8 hours or so of play) and blowing up anything that tries to get in-between me and my next discovery.

Funkodrom
30-05-2002, 08:31:46
Breton = French n'est pas? :eek:

Sean
30-05-2002, 08:46:12
Breton Beacons.

Funkodrom
30-05-2002, 09:05:09
Is that a particularly poor 100-0 attempt?

Sean
30-05-2002, 09:05:58
Is that a particularly poor sens of humour?

Funkodrom
30-05-2002, 09:18:13
Think about who you are talking to.

MDA
30-05-2002, 15:27:02
I bought an invisibility potion last night and used it to steal a much coveted master's mortar and pestle from the same vendor that sold me the potion. Then I sold him my apprentice's mortar and pestle, and walked away. Less than 35 gold invested to get an item worth thousands :)

Playing two characters at once is confusing sometimes.

Cumber
30-05-2002, 18:17:29
I have an grand soul gem with something like a Winged Twilight imprisoned in it, which is apparantly worth 60,000. Didn't cost me anything at all to get it. :) Trouble is A) nobody buys soul gems and B) nobody has that much money.

I got a quest from the Mages guild to go convince an Argonian (who I believe is also a member of the Thieves guild) to stop training people in Restoration without permission from the Mages guild. The Argonian then offered to train me if I went back and pretended I'd got him to stop training people, which I did, and all was well. I love this game. :)

Sean
30-05-2002, 18:18:13
Stop making me want to buy this, you bastards!

Ellipsis
30-05-2002, 18:22:20
Daggerfall contained a world (and I quote from a review I read once) about the size of Turkey. It was huge. You could do anything, and rumour has it only 2 people ever completed it.

Only me and my brother managed to finish it :eek:?

Sean
30-05-2002, 18:22:50
You finished it?!

Funkodrom
30-05-2002, 18:23:55
Yesterday I went out to the pub I managed to purchase a beer for a mere 1.49. :eek: Then I trained on the pool table with my cue of bendiness and bantered with a member of the unemployed guild about music.

Sorry, I just felt left out. :(

Shining1
31-05-2002, 03:38:37
Mike - did you level up your personality skill on that quest?:)

Shining1
31-05-2002, 04:17:59
Best skills IMO so far (for Fighter):

Long Blade - swords is cool.
Heavy Armour - looks really cool, covers everything, stops you dying = good.
Speechcraft - taunting people to fight you is very useful, as is boosting your rep.
Restoration - even a dumb Orc can heal himself fully twice during a battle with Hearth Heal.
Alchemy - make your own potions - fun and useful

Athletics - fast movement on big maps is almost essential. Great how you can level up just by running around, too.
Armourer - repairing your own items saves money and gives you levels. Wha-hey!
Security - since you can't bash open doors and chests, and you can disarm traps with this, I would pick this as almost essential.
Block - a good minor skill since it seems almost every trains you in it.

I would have included Acrobatics, but it doesn't seem to work very well with heavy armour (gee...). And I really should have axes instead of long blades for the Orc, but the Claymore looks cooler.

Cumber
31-05-2002, 05:10:20
Has anyone else done the Thieves guild quest (from Balmora) where you have to get the Dwemer artifacts from someone in Hla Oad? I spent over a hundred gold on bribes so that many people would trust me enough to tell me they didn't know anything about that, and couldn't find an 'elegant' way of doing that quest. In the end I just magically unlocked the chest near the guy, pinched the artifacts and ran for it before the people in that room killed me. I did find more gold in that chest than it cost to remove the price on my head, but still, it's just not right. :(

Funkodrom
31-05-2002, 08:28:10
Mike - did you level up your personality skill on that quest?:)

I maxed that out years ago.

Sean
31-05-2002, 08:29:52
Ooh, poor you. You must have had a low advancement ceiling.

Funkodrom
31-05-2002, 09:26:35
I kept banging my head.

Mightytree
31-05-2002, 09:31:15
Best skills IMO so far (for Fighter):

Athletics - fast movement on big maps is almost essential. Great how you can level up just by running around, too.

There's a fastrun plugin already available, in case you didn't already know.

You should find it at http://www.morrowindfiles.com.

Cumber: Yes, I did that quest too. I ended up killing everybody in that room. :D

MDA
31-05-2002, 13:10:57
I had to go back to Hla Oad after training up stealth and buying a potion (or did I find a ring of surroundings?) of Chameleon. The trick is to get the nearest guy to turn his back and place the post in the middle of the room so the other one can't see what you're up to. Pop the chest, grab the loot and walk out whistling.

Pickpocketing the slaver's ring in Sadrith Mora is damn near impossible! I may have to buy it from the guy.

Shining1
31-05-2002, 17:00:23
Cumber: Yes:).

I goaded the Kajiit into fighting me and then unlocked and robbed the chest while directly behind the support pillar in the middle of that room. If you can't see the guys face, they can't see you, it seems. All artifacts recovered for zero gold invested.

Speechcraft and the ability to pick a fight with almost anyone and get away with it scott free is a wonderful thing:).

MDA
31-05-2002, 17:47:38
three different solutions to the same quest - one more reason to love the game.

Cumber
01-06-2002, 06:45:04
The point was that I didn't want to fight the guy though. I probably could've, but... it's a style thing. I'm trying to be the never seen kind of theif. :)

Shining1
01-06-2002, 10:30:33
A good point - as a huge sword wielding Orc, I didn't quite have the same choices a master theif, however...

Cumber
01-06-2002, 14:27:38
WHERE THE HELL IS THE THIEVES GUILD IN VIVIC??? ARGH!!!

I must've been up and down the Foreign Quarter at least 3 times now...

Mightytree
01-06-2002, 14:35:47
I absolutely hate Vivic. :bash:

Cumber
02-06-2002, 10:52:48
There's a nasty bug/design flaw/whatever with being an assassin... I joined the Morag Tong, got a writ, killed the guy, presented the writ to a guard, who promptly stole my pants.

For some bizarre reason, when you show a guard a writ for execution to stop yourself getting arrested, he looks over all your items and takes everything that's stolen. This makes life very difficult for thief/assassin characters... non-assassin thieves can just avoid the guards, but assassins need to deal with them every time an execution is reported as a crime. :cry:

Shining1
02-06-2002, 11:45:00
For Joy!

Rachel built me a house!:)

It's in the east side of Caldera, complete with masters Alchemy kit and a shrubbery:).

And plenty of space to store hammers and lockpicks:).

(Caldera seems to be the center of Orc culture so far in Morrowind - there's the Grobak mansion there, as well as the minor quest with the criminal element).

Fight well!

MDA
03-06-2002, 14:02:30
Cumber:

Drop your stolen stuff before talking to the guard!!
Its a pain remembering and dropping everything, but it does work.

I am now Master Thief. Gentleman Jim went to visit "family" in Hammerfell. Caius also left town.

Sean
03-06-2002, 14:28:28
MDa, as you are online: should I buy this today, bearing in mind my affection for Daggerfall?

MDA
03-06-2002, 15:11:59
Yes, provided you have a good system to run it on.

Sean
03-06-2002, 16:21:43
Yes, I do, but the shops were closed.

Sean
04-06-2002, 11:14:18
I have it. Mwahahaha.

Cumber
04-06-2002, 13:12:48
MDA: I did, but I apparantly missed a vital quest item, which has now vanished forever. Does anyone know if there's another copy of "Confessions of a Dunmer Skooma Eater" anywhere on Vvardenfell?

Funkodrom
04-06-2002, 13:33:44
I'm wondering if I should take a look at this. :hmm:

Sean
04-06-2002, 14:23:48
Right then, what is Moon Sugar? Load of people won’t barter with me because I have it, which means it must be valuable. Also, how do you get lessons in mixing herbs together? I have acquired a few, along with a mortar and pestle.

Cumber
04-06-2002, 15:55:21
Not a *vital* vital quest item... optional quest I'm supposed to solve by having a particular book when I talk to someone, I believe. But I stole the book and the guards took it. :(

Sean: Moon Sugar is a drug. As such, many people don't want to trade with you, train you, etc, if you are carrying any. It is far more trouble than it's worth to find someone who buys it, and then they usually don't give you full price for it anyway. Skooma potions are refined Moon Sugar. Same problems as Moon Sugar, but they are valued at 500 septims a bottle, so much more worthwhile picking up.

Sean
04-06-2002, 16:07:07
Ah, cheers.

MDA
04-06-2002, 17:06:52
Cumber: Items confiscated by the guards can be "retrieved" from the "Evidence Chest". I think they're generally found inside the nearest fort to your arrest - but I'm not sure.

You could also edit another copy into the game, but I know even less about how to do that.

Cumber
05-06-2002, 02:47:16
Evidence chest? Hmm... I'm guessing that would be in the direction of the Temple in Vivec then. And probably rather difficult to get into. But we shall see.

I was thinking I would just edit another copy into the game... or just use the editor to find another one, if there is one. I'm also going to make a plug-in that will get rid of that bug, methinks. I'm sure it has to be a bug... why would the guards say my papers were in order, then check over every item I own to make sure it's not stolen, and then not arrest me when they found I had stolen something?

Shining1
05-06-2002, 04:45:21
You stole a 20gp book?!?

Sean
05-06-2002, 08:25:59
Vivec was the first place I went to on the Siltstrider. As I had no money left, I had to wander around for a while. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else who wants an easy path into the game :bash:.

Shining1
05-06-2002, 20:33:43
Vivec is a very evil way to construct a city. My first act as volcano god will be to channel a stream of lava down there...

Sean
05-06-2002, 20:49:25
Actually, it’s not so bad now that I have spent so long there. A pain to get around, but the Gondolas are cheap.

I have joined the Fighters Guild despite being a Pilgrim. I use a Shortsword when Marksmanship is my best combat skill. And then I wonder why I get beaten up on by the guys near the Caldera mines :(.

Shining1
05-06-2002, 21:03:14
That's okay, I've joined the mages guild on the basis of 15 points in Alchemy:).

Sean
05-06-2002, 22:42:51
Hooray, I got some easy and profitable quests in Vivec. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a murky one now, involving the Carmona Tong (who another person has told me to kill), 2000 gold, and a mysterious site…

Sean
06-06-2002, 23:43:12
I have far too many quests going on at once :clueless:. One benefit, however, was that I found a warrior who needed me to help him find a witch. I agreed, but couldn’t find her, but he stayed with me. Mini party! I used him to batter down a Clanfear while I pelted it with glass arrows (I picked up a bow worth 100 for 20 thanks to a combination of Mercantile skills and its slightly damaged condition). Now I have a Daedra heart and don’t know what to do with it.

Sean
06-06-2002, 23:44:23
Oh, and what is up with that Scamp called Creeper in Caldera? He buys everything for close to listed price and has 5000 gold (find him in the Orc manor).

Shining1
07-06-2002, 05:02:53
Forgot about that - the Orc manor is nice, though:).

I switched to being an Imperial Swordsman, though. Can't recommend it enough - everyone likes now that I'm not an Orc:).

Sean
07-06-2002, 07:28:18
I was considering that, but couldn’t be bothered to go to Gnisis.

Herman
07-06-2002, 07:53:13
The Xbox version is now out for those with shite PCs and who don't mind missing out on the construction set.

Sean
07-06-2002, 08:39:46
And don’t mind buying an Xbox :hmm:.

Herman
07-06-2002, 08:43:56
The idea is you bought it already. :D

The box itself tends to be cheaper than a capable video card for the game anyway.

Sean
07-06-2002, 08:45:38
I don’t think it would be as good on Xbox, just because of the controller. Goldeneye is an excellent game, but it isn’t as easy to control as Generic PC FPS IV. If you have a PC version to compare it with, the superiority of the mouse will come through.

Herman
07-06-2002, 08:57:06
Morrowind isn't exactly a game which requires exacting control. :D

I've heard favourable impressions of it. Particularly how relaxing it is to play the game sprawled on the sofa rather than hunched over a monitor.

I own the PC version, btw.

Sean
07-06-2002, 08:58:16
Nah. It’s the wrong kind of game for any console controller. I couldn’t live without my hotkeys.

Shining1
07-06-2002, 09:43:55
It works on either, I'm sure.

Most people with consoles find playing with a keyboard an odd feeling... :)

Funkodrom
07-06-2002, 09:48:26
Not for FPS, consoles work for some things but that's one genre that is terrible on consoles, oh and RTS.

Sean
07-06-2002, 09:48:55
Yeah, they really need the mouse.

Herman
07-06-2002, 09:51:36
It depends on how the autoaim works and how the controller functions.

The primary function for the Xbox controller was for Halo (this was admitted) and once you adapt to it it really is quite comfortable.

Admittedly a mouse is more control but then it's not a console game.

Console FPSes are still great fun, particularly in stuff like coop modes. Just different from PC FPSes.

Sean
07-06-2002, 09:52:58
Yeah, Goldeneye is a fantastic slower-paced alternative. Even Quake 3 on the Dreamcast was a decent game, but that doesn’t change the fact that keyboard and mouse is so much better.

Shining1
07-06-2002, 09:55:35
Morrowind isn't standard deathmatch FPS though. Precise, lightning fast movement aren't the name of the game here. You can be pin-point accurate and have the timing of the gods and you will still lose most battles against an opponent with superior RP stats.

Sean
07-06-2002, 09:56:58
You do have to be accurate: in third person I sometimes accidentally steal something rather than talk to someone, because there is no crosshair. And what about the inventory?

Shining1
07-06-2002, 09:57:55
Herman: The only real test would be to play PC vs Console:). I have no doubts at all who would win that encounter:).

Sean
07-06-2002, 09:58:52
But if you play PC vs console at sports games, the console players would walk it.

Shining1
07-06-2002, 10:00:51
Sean - playing in 3rd person while thieving is your problem, not the game's... and, er, what about the inventory?

Sean
07-06-2002, 10:03:15
I wasn’t thieving, I was trying to barter :rolleyes:.

The inventory. Multiple windows. Each with separate sections. Suited to a mouse.

Shining1
07-06-2002, 10:10:29
??

It's all drag and drop though - doesn't take long to learn to use mouse menus with a controller.

Cumber
07-06-2002, 15:10:01
Sean: the name of the person you're trying to talk to will pop up if you're able to talk to them. Just remember never to talk to anyone named Silver Longsword, and you should have no problems with accidental theft. ;)

Shining1
07-06-2002, 16:18:37
Silver Longsword really helped me out with one of the early quests. Don't hassle him...;)

Sean
07-06-2002, 17:11:07
Cumber, I know, but I was in a hurry.

Cumber
07-06-2002, 17:16:19
Fair enough. I know how that is. Although with me it's usually because I'm just too lazy to switch to first person mode. :)

Sean
07-06-2002, 17:31:22
Yep :D. Still irritating, though.

Sean
08-06-2002, 17:34:51
Right, I have two rings that cast Chameleon on Self. Once casts it at 20%-30% for 30 secs, and is worth 12000. The other casts it at 40%-70% (I forget exactly, something like that) for 10 secs and is worth 219. Why is the seemingly less useful ring worth so much more?

Sean
09-06-2002, 09:17:44
Anybody? At least a trader with more than 10000 gold?

Shining1
09-06-2002, 09:35:00
Conceivably you could trade the ring for several high priced items and a lot of gold. Then resell the items to other traders.

Sean
09-06-2002, 09:50:19
Yes, but even with a high (relatively) Mercantile skill, I would lose quite a lot of money. I think I’ll hange onto it for a while, and use it as a backup for my other Ring of Chameleon.

Shining1
09-06-2002, 12:05:22
60-100% can't be too bad...:)

Sean
09-06-2002, 12:12:24
Is the effect cumulative?

There are lots of Daedra around the Ashlander camp. Eep.

Funkodrom
09-06-2002, 12:12:41
But if you play PC vs console at sports games, the console players would walk it.

Definitely... although you can get reasonable PC controllers these days.

Cumber
09-06-2002, 12:36:25
I don't think the effects would be cumulative... I'm fairly certain the second spell would just override the first one. Otherwise you could just cast chameleon multiple times from a single source and have it stack up to 100%.

LadyRachel
09-06-2002, 17:50:14
crash.

crash crash crash crash.

crash crash.

crash. crash crash. crash crash crash.

CRASH!!!

ARRRGHHH!!!

:bash:

Spartak
09-06-2002, 18:14:23
:lol:

Hello Lurker Lady....

Funkodrom
10-06-2002, 08:31:56
:hmm: So it does crash a lot...

Mightytree
10-06-2002, 11:06:22
Haven't had a single crash so far.

Mightytree
10-06-2002, 11:06:50
Must be your PC, Rachel. :D

MDA
10-06-2002, 13:20:44
I haven't crashed it for a week, and its not for lack of playing.
You must be using a Darkstar brand computer.

MDA
10-06-2002, 13:23:41
there's an 80% chameleon amulet to be found in the game :)

It's hardly fair.

Sean
10-06-2002, 16:22:30
I only seem to have crashes after I start the game when running a lot of other programs. other than that, nope.

MDA
12-06-2002, 14:21:08
Found a plug in that puts an armorer trainer into the game - this after wandering a half dozen places trying to find one - the devs left him out - don't know whether it was deliberate or not.

Sean
12-06-2002, 16:49:36
I am sure I found an Armorer trainer somehwere, used it to up 10 levels in it (Armorer is a misc. skill for me).

Oh, and how are those ‘Daedric’ weapons from the trader in Balmora? I am thinking of buying a shortsword from him.

MDA
12-06-2002, 17:16:55
They do good damage when activated for the "bound" forms. An activation lasts long enough to get you through a battle or two, I guess you'd have to keep an eye on your charges in a dungeon. Even when the charge is out, you still have a normal weapon to use.

I used a demon tanto for a long time, then found a Saint's sword, then an ebony shortsword I put my own poison and fire damage enchantment into.

Just completed my Redoran Stronghold. Working on uniting the great houses behind me.

I looked lots of places for armor trainers- fighters guilds, barracks, armor shops, Great houses, Vivec's arena, some blades trainers- I missed some of the forts, though.

Sean
12-06-2002, 17:19:20
I have only just joined a great house, and my armour is a mess. I have bonemold, glass, ebony, and a steel gauntlet (can’t find any better left gauntlets :(). I have the Bonebiter bow with glass and enchanted arrows (weakness to poison 30 secs, poison damage), a Dwemer Jinksword, and soon a Demon Tanto. I also have a set of exquisite clothes.

Sean
12-06-2002, 17:21:23
I have a feeling he was one of the Blades.

MDA
12-06-2002, 17:22:36
enchant the clothes - the best enchantment I ever bought were my constant effect water walk trousers. Expensive, but they get a lot of use. Good clothes and jewelry seem to hold more enchantment than most armor or swords - possibly excepting shields.

Don't get rid of that jinksword, they're very handy.

MDA
12-06-2002, 17:23:27
I must have missed that one - I hit the ones in Balmora, there was one I couldn't locate near Caldera.

Sean
12-06-2002, 17:27:48
I love the Jinksword. It…s immensley useful agaisnt all enemies, especially when stiching with a fire-enchanted blaade once the enemy is paralysed.

Of course, I am only level 8, so it probably makes more of a difference there.

MDA
12-06-2002, 17:33:16
Some of the really nasty "monsters" are immune to paralysis - but you can nearly always paralyze a humanoid. I got rid of mine for a while, but picked up another later on and kept it. I'm around level 40 and still occasionally get my ass handed to me.
Heavily armored enemies seem to be a problem - I enchanted a daedric dagger to damage armor so when I run into them I empty the dagger's entire charge then switch to my normal weapon. It seems to help - The armor I collect from dead bodies is beat all to hell, anyhow.

Sean
12-06-2002, 18:04:13
Well duh :p.

The Shaker
12-06-2002, 20:05:22
without having to read the rest of this thread...How long should I hang around at the first town thing?

And why did i get an assassin class by answering all the questions nicely?
and why is noone succumbing to my charming witty speech?

Sean
12-06-2002, 20:10:32
No need to hang around, head for Balmora on the Siltstrider. DO NOT GO TO VIVEC FIRST. IMPORTANT. DO NOT GO TO VIVEC FIRST.

Spartak
12-06-2002, 20:39:45
Why?

Shining1
12-06-2002, 22:16:08
Everyone, repeat after me

OI! MDA! REVIEW!

Sean
12-06-2002, 22:19:59
OI! MDA! REVIEW!

MDA
13-06-2002, 11:27:16