PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking CPU

paiktis
25-05-2012, 19:29:38
A quick question. When you overclock a CPU does it stay overclocked even if you remove it from the motherboard and install it on another one?
I'm guessing that it doesn't but I just want to be sure.

Tank you

Fistandantilus
25-05-2012, 23:44:17
It doesn't. You'll have to make bios changes on the new motherboard or it will run at its normal speed.

paiktis
26-05-2012, 08:17:26
Ok thanks Fistandantilus.
However, I'd assume that an overclocked CPU has sustained more wear and fatigue than another one that has not been overclocked?
Or not?
I'm asking 'cause I'm looking to buy a specific used one and so far I find only overclocked ones that are up for sale.
But the price difference between a new one and a used one is like 200 euros so... :)

Fistandantilus
26-05-2012, 09:31:42
Hard to tell, it really depends on the level of overclocking (i.e. how much more voltage has been put thru, was there extra cooling in place? blah blah).

There is always a level of risk, and you void your warranty doing that so... I never overclocked anything but a friend of mine does it often as in his opinion cpus get outdated waaaay before melting so it's a waste not doing so :lol:

paiktis
26-05-2012, 16:43:12
Gracie mille for the help!
Ok now there's no way I'm gonna go for an overclocked one, just to be sure :)

Funko
28-05-2012, 08:07:06
The more modern chipsets are smart enough to vary their clock speeds based on demand. The ones in small devices like phones are especially good at that kind of thing, so they aren't draining power when idling.

It's not really such a big thing any more for that reason.

paiktis
31-05-2012, 16:42:29
But for desktops power draining is not a concern.
Isn't there a maximum amount a clock speed can reach?
Overclocking can surpass that (assuming the CPU can be overclocked). Some are more prone to that than others I think.