Pages : [1] 2

maroule
22-05-2012, 13:05:16
I saw the daily telegraph and McDonald (looking a bit crap) were having one
wouldn't mind playing

any other you know, or would recommend?

Fistandantilus
22-05-2012, 13:44:17
I have no idea :p but i'll join the one that suits the most if we play.

Funko
22-05-2012, 14:28:08
I've already registered for the official/McDonalds one, same system as Fantasy Premier League.
http://en.euro2012fantasy.uefa.com/

20237-22967

maroule
22-05-2012, 16:29:11
ok, done deal

Funko
22-05-2012, 16:31:31
General overall assumption here seems to be that we'll get hammered in our first game against you Frenchies, how is it viewed there?

(I think it'll be close)

maroule
23-05-2012, 07:13:17
I don't see any hammering happening
few people in France have expectations on this French team at the moment (obviously that will change if they string two half decent resusts together), especially because the general view is that our midfield is not that great (decent players but not playing together), and that we havent't played a really convincing match in 2 years

so we can win thanks to the Chelsea axiom (a team need only a goalkeeper and a striker, and these are our 2 best players), but certainly not hammer anybody.. a low scoring affair is more likely...

Funko
23-05-2012, 07:39:34
Yeah, I think people are underestimating England and overestimating France a bit.

England struggled in qualifying in an easy group but our last two friendlies against Spain and Netherlands we looked quite good, and those are probably the favourites. New manager since then, but still basically the same players.

And we've got a goalkeeper and a striker, but the striker is suspended!

maroule
23-05-2012, 08:46:09
I'm a bit sceptical of friendly matches, for you or us; we've been world champions at that last year (beating Brazil, germany, england, etc) and yet, when matches get competitive, we freeze like rabbits in headlights

our group will be a close affair, I don't see much between the 3 top teams, and obviously Ukraine, while of lower quality, will be fired up. I anticipate a lot of nervy 1-0 or 1-1

Fistandantilus
23-05-2012, 08:47:28
.. our midfield is not that great...

:eek:

maroule
23-05-2012, 09:30:45
good players, but not working well together

a guy like Ribery for example has never been great in the national shirt
Nasry? flattering to deceive
M'vila, the next gunner? solid, certainly not world class
Gourcuyff? sunked for the last 2 years
Only Jeremy Menez is breathing fire at the moment. He could be a revelation. He is about as smart as a door knob though.

Funko
23-05-2012, 09:39:54
I'm a bit sceptical of friendly matches

Indeed.

Spain in particular don't seem to turn up in Friendlies.

Fistandantilus
23-05-2012, 12:50:36
The assistant manager of that site is awesome. Great hints!

I think Rémy is your player playing in the next set of matches who will score the most points. You should make him captain and use substitutions if he fails to perform.

Really??

Funko
23-05-2012, 12:54:53
The suggestion was rubbish but it did remind me you could micro manage your subs in the international ones.

Fistandantilus
23-05-2012, 13:07:57
Yeah, besides there is still a lot of housekeeping to to do on that site..
Fair enough as most didn't even announce the official squad yet.
Pazzini is the most expensive italian forward but I doubt he'll even start ahead of Cassano who is not even listed.
Villa is not playing at the euros at all .
and so on..

Funko
23-05-2012, 13:16:05
There is a (meaningless) trophy you can get for having everyone in your squad make the final cut.

Funko
23-05-2012, 13:17:26
wrong thread!

maroule
25-05-2012, 15:11:27
done, I joined
two other work colleagues should join the league as well

Remy is still injured, his chances of starting are not that great

Funko
25-05-2012, 15:25:01
And you know more than the automated manager?

Fistandantilus
28-05-2012, 10:01:33
Do you mind if i invite a non counterglower to the league?

Funko
28-05-2012, 10:05:53
No.

And maroule didn't even ask. :lol:

maroule
28-05-2012, 11:39:00
:lol:

seriously, didn't even cross my mind

Fistandantilus
28-05-2012, 11:53:46
No.

And maroule didn't even ask. :lol:

Thanks, he joined :p

Funko
28-05-2012, 13:37:58
The more the merrier.

Walrus Feeder
03-06-2012, 12:48:57
For the fantasy football i've entered code 20237-22967 but it says it's wrong. Help please!

Fistandantilus
03-06-2012, 13:10:38
Funko!!! Do something!

Funko
04-06-2012, 14:56:26
Just checked, it says it is:

20237-22967

Try it again, check there are no additional spaces or anything. If that doesn't work PM me an email address and I'll send you an invite?

Funko
07-06-2012, 12:27:59
The assistant manager of that site is awesome. Great hints!

Really??

I understand this now.

It wants you to have a captain that plays on 08/06, then change it if they don't do well to someone who plays on 09/06 etc.

Fistandantilus
07-06-2012, 12:36:48
Yes, my only problem with that is Rémy is french and plays the last day :p
I could possibly have had only players who play in the final day tho, that was the result of the auto-complete feature as I was lazy :D

Funko
07-06-2012, 12:37:55

It only proposes my Russian players. Maybe it thinks Russia and France have the easiest games. :D

Fistandantilus
07-06-2012, 12:52:17
Yeah, now it's russia for me too. While not super useful is good as a reminder.

I also noticed you can employ a 2-5-3 formation which seems a bit silly, I don't think it was allowed in the premier league one.

Funko
07-06-2012, 13:15:29
It isn't any more, it used to be a few years ago.

maroule
07-06-2012, 14:25:34
can you shift formations?? how??
BTW, as you probably know, Remy is not in the squad (injured), and wouldn't even play if he was in...

maroule
07-06-2012, 14:30:44
ok, got it, nice

Fistandantilus
07-06-2012, 14:41:56
can you shift formations?? how??
BTW, as you probably know, Remy is not in the squad (injured), and wouldn't even play if he was in...

Do you really think I would pick a frenchman??????

Well, I did actually, Debuchy is playing right? :p

maroule
08-06-2012, 09:32:15
yes, he is a guaranteed starter (I actually have him as well, he's good at providing assists)

Funko
08-06-2012, 10:26:40
Me too! :mad:

Funko
10-06-2012, 13:59:19
Oh dear Dutchland!

Fistandantilus
11-06-2012, 08:04:24
Poor irish :(

Funko
11-06-2012, 08:12:43
Yeah, totally outclassed.

Funko
11-06-2012, 08:13:33
It's been mostly very enjoyable so far, except for group B which was pretty dull.

Funko
11-06-2012, 08:16:01
Enjoyed Italy vs Spain. Italy looked really good, much better than I was expecting. Great to see the old sweeper back.

Torres was getting a bit of a hammering from the commentators here, but he came on and had 3 or 4 really good chances, ok he couldn't finish them but before he came on they weren't getting into those positions.

Funko
11-06-2012, 08:16:26
Russia look... well they look like they have a very poor group to win.

maroule
11-06-2012, 09:24:20
some good football so far, quite enjoyable, even the nervy Germany-Portugal was fun for the last 20 minutes

now for a crappy match, let's tune in to France-England...
I really have no clue of what's going to happen, even a crap England team (and it's not crap, just average) can easily score on a dead ball against our nervous defence...

Fistandantilus
11-06-2012, 09:39:13
So the group of death is pretty dull :D

Funko
11-06-2012, 09:44:49
even a crap England team (and it's not crap, just average) can easily score on a dead ball against our nervous defence...

Yes. It's a classic good attack vs good defence.

A lot of people have written us off, but I think we can do a Denmark/Chelsea, and I'm not sure the gulf in quality is as big as those two... maybe I'm overly optimistic.

Welbeck and Young are both in great goalscoring form internationally, from very few chances which is probably what we'll get tonight, and we have some decent dead ball delivery. We're underdogs, but we haven't got no chance like Denmark or Ireland...

Funko
11-06-2012, 09:51:11
Even if we don't do well this tournament I've already been impressed by Roy.

He's an intelligent guy. Talks really well about the game which is refreshing. We'll see how long that lasts... I think Capello and Sven could both also do that but Sven filled press conferences with platitudes and Capello pretended he couldn't speak English.

He's got a disciplined system in place in a very short space of time. We need to see if the players can carry that out in a tournament environment which has been the problem before.

That said someone summed up England's chances perfectly "they'll go out against the first genuine quality side they face, as always".

To get anywhere we'll have to have several stunning defensive performances. Looks like if we get through the group any of Croatia, Italy or Spain would be significantly better than us but winning the group will be important.

maroule
11-06-2012, 10:46:40
Croatia is not in the same class as Italy of Spain, it's just the illusion of a franckly über mediocre Ireland... what an irony, all this bloody fuss about the hand ball robery to be piss poor when you actually get a chance... so it will be Spain and Italy and yes, they are better than you...
France tonight will be significantly better IF a few ifs click into place... we'll get much of the ball but we'll need penetration in the last 30 meters

Funko
11-06-2012, 10:48:28
Agreed, but still better than England. :

Funko
11-06-2012, 12:04:51
(and Ireland you hope at least wouldn't have been an absolute embarrassment to the game like France were at the World Cup?)

Fistandantilus
11-06-2012, 12:21:01
I was about to point that out :lol:

maroule
11-06-2012, 12:31:55
oh certainly
we were jinxed by the Irish witch doctors as revenge voodo, so we already paid our debt

Funko
11-06-2012, 12:38:15
Oxlade-Chamberlain to start?

Looks like a pretty good England team to be fair.

Hart, Johnson, Lescott, Terry, Johnson, Parker, Gerrard, Milner, the Ox, Young, Wellbeck.

Fistandantilus
11-06-2012, 12:53:15
Enjoyed Italy vs Spain. Italy looked really good, much better than I was expecting. Great to see the old sweeper back.

Torres was getting a bit of a hammering from the commentators here, but he came on and had 3 or 4 really good chances, ok he couldn't finish them but before he came on they weren't getting into those positions.

There was a good and deep tactical analysis yesterday night to highlight the different phases of the game.

Among other things they noticed that when the italian midfield started to get tired and could not press the spanish anymore (they did quite efficiently in the first 60' or so) the game changed as Italy reverted to a 5-3-2 from a 3-5-2.

Maggio on the right plays as a wing back for Naples and didn't have problem transitioning but Giaccherini on the left is a winger and can't really defend...

Subbing in Jesus Navas exposed that flaw and gave many headaches to the italian defensive line as he would get past Giaccherini consistently and pull a centre back out leaving ample space to Torres in the middle. Del Bosque was able to read the game perfectly at that point.

We already used two subs and decided to bring in fresh legs in the middle instead of subbing Giaccherini but it was an interesting analysis.

Anyway I like the work Prandelli is doing. He rewards technical players (and I think that's the way to go) and he's not afraid of experimenting and be creative in using the personnel at his disposal.

Fistandantilus
11-06-2012, 12:56:10
No love for walcott?

Funko
11-06-2012, 12:58:46
I think Walcott is missing out because his defensive work rate isn't as high.

Funko
11-06-2012, 12:58:58
We'll see him if we need a goal...

maroule
11-06-2012, 13:11:19
england can score mostly (or only) from a dead ball, or from a counter attack (speedy wings + header). I doubt they'll have enough of the ball to score through a normal passing game/careful build play

if england concedes a goal, it will be game over for the counter attacking option (France will sit deep) so Walcott would be pretty useless anyway at that stage. He would be a lot more useful at 1-0 up or even at the start.

Fistandantilus
11-06-2012, 13:11:42
I see. And I think that Johnson is a Cole in disguise ;)

Funko
11-06-2012, 19:31:00
Great result, especially as we had the most biased referee since Escape for Victory playing against us.

I was pleased with how we played, better than I expected. France looked good, nice in posession. Vulnerable at the back. First half hour for us was really good then we let them back in it. Still... another referee would have sent Cabaye off at least twice for his four yellow card offences another referee might have given us the blatant foul on Gerrard outside the box and all the other things.

I wonder if the other neutral fans feel the same. Honestly think that is the worst refereeing performance since Reading vs Liverpool in the Premiership when the referee was asking where Steven Gerrard would like the wall moved to and where the free kick should be from.

In the end a draw was a fair result despite Joseph Boneparte refereeing.

Fistandantilus
11-06-2012, 19:54:46
You are quite drunk aren't you? :D

Funko
11-06-2012, 20:13:43
jj.

SCHEVCHENKO DOES IT AGAIN!

Funko
12-06-2012, 07:44:48
I was pretty drunk jj.

maroule
12-06-2012, 08:18:35
Funko, you saw a biased ref (I hadn't particularly noticed, would be happy to hear the neutrals on this one, but asking for a red for debuchy is quite bizarre, I thought the match was pretty "friendly" and non violent to be honest), while I saw a lot of Englishmen diving like pussies... the mini cat slap on Parker where he falls as if poleaxed was particularly hilarious.... and I thought only dirty furigners like Ribery were doing it...

I also saw an English team hell bent on not playing football, and emulating the Greek and Norwegian school of "let's give them the ball, draw two lines of 4, and wait for the final whistle"... seriously a great advert for not watching football...

France was disappointing because they certainly had enough talent to go for victory, and didn't (they might live to regret it). Basically we lacked momentum, and played walking, never really committing enough people to go through the double curtain.

Funko
12-06-2012, 08:28:14
Hitting a player in the face is a red card offence, but I had forgotten that one. I didn't call for a red for Debuchy?

Cabaye cynically tripped Parker just as we were about to break, yeah, he just clipped his heel as he was starting to run. But it's a clear yellow card. Utterly cynical. You could tell he thought he was going to take a clever yellow for the team but he got away scot free. Then once he knew he could do it he carried on all game. We got correctly yellow carded for a few late tackles, but he didn't punish any of the more intelligent little cynical clips we were getting in midfield all game.

(ps. I don't really think he was biased, I was very drunk and partisan.)

I was expecting us to play 2 banks of 4 defensive for 90 minutes. What was pleasing is that we played pretty well for 30 mins, some nice interplay with Young Wellbeck and Ox and had a reasonable share of the ball. Then I don't know if we got tired or whatever but we just got pushed back for the rest of the game.

You sound a bit like Wenger when Arsenal fail to break down a solid middle of the Premiership side. It's not up to us to go and make life easy for more talented sides I'm afraid.

Funko
12-06-2012, 08:30:14
And we did keep 2 forwards on for the whole game, substitutions brought on Defoe and Walcott who are hardly the most defensive options. Clearly Roy wanted to stretch the game and add some pace to our counter attacks, which didn't work.

Gerrard and Parker looked absolutely knackered. Not promising when we have no decent midfield replacements...

maroule
12-06-2012, 09:28:59
"You sound a bit like Wenger when Arsenal fail to break down a solid middle of the Premiership side. It's not up to us to go and make life easy for more talented sides I'm afraid. "

so that's official, you are the Bolton of world football... I rest my case...

Fistandantilus
12-06-2012, 10:25:49
Agreed, expectations in England must have reached an all time low.

Funko
12-06-2012, 10:51:41
"You sound a bit like Wenger when Arsenal fail to break down a solid middle of the Premiership side. It's not up to us to go and make life easy for more talented sides I'm afraid. "

so that's official, you are the Bolton of world football... I rest my case...

Yeah, but it's what we all expected isn't it? I'm only surprised we weren't EVEN MORE negative, like we were in our last friendlies against weaker opposition.

We haven't got a team full of Xavis and Iniestas, for once the English public and press seem to have acknowledged that rather than hyping us as a team full of global superstars.

Last night is widely reported here as a decent performance and a very good result. Before the tournament most people didn't think we'd get out of the group, and it's the second easiest group.

In reality we probably have a similar level of first team to the last tournament, but a weaker squad.

MoSe
12-06-2012, 10:54:44
I can't really comment because for most of the game....I FELL ASLEEP

honest
true

anyway, you always criticize latin fottball and especially italians for diving and feigning, and in a more general and wider sense for considering foul what in your "english style refereeing" is normal play.
now that you get a referee doing it your style, that is allowing rough play which everywhere else south of 50th parallalel would be sanctioned, you whine
and to rub salt, he's italian too
:p

In general, I had the feeling that all refs must have been instructed to whistle less vs tough tackles

The tourney began with one of the two hosts:
I'm not accusing the ref himself, as his mistakes were in the range of reasonableness
I felt tho very sad that the weakest home side opens the games, and two yellows are invented to leave their opponents one man down
the ref then made more mistakes the other way too, but it totally destroyed the meager credibility UEFA had politically as a governing body

Then the 1st round of matches ended at the other host home venue:
What a joy!
The very talented villain, who only wins domestic leagues and disappears in europe, who alone makes shit sides winners (and yes I mean both Milan and Sweden, and partially Inter too in a couple of the previous seasons) brought one of the poorest Sweden seen since USA '94 ahead.
Fairy tale! True heart and passion!
The Sunset Boulevard guy once amongst europe top strikers, who had himself clumsily choked a shot from the little box corner short before, slots in two headers, outsmarting his a-foot-taller defenders in sense of placemente and reaction time, to reverse the result and bring the good blue-yellow side deservingly ahead!
Now he can retire happy and tell this story to his grandchildren
:D

maroule
12-06-2012, 10:59:44
We haven't got a team full of Xavis and Iniestas, for once the English public and press seem to have acknowledged that rather than hyping us as a team full of global superstars.

I would take this argument if only Spain was playing positive football, but you have lesser talented teams really going for it (even Poland, who has 2 decents players, and 9 donkeys, tried to attack, and so did Ukraine, the Czechs, etc)... don't tell me you don't have better players than them...

Funko
12-06-2012, 11:01:16
Poland were playing Greece.

Funko
12-06-2012, 11:02:55
You can't play attacking football if you don't have the ball. For 30 minutes we had some of the ball and attacked, for the last 60 mins we barely had the ball... what can you do?

Funko
12-06-2012, 11:13:39
The Guardian report is fair I think:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/11/euro-2012-france-england-group-d

maroule
12-06-2012, 12:52:43
You can't play attacking football if you don't have the ball. For 30 minutes we had some of the ball and attacked, for the last 60 mins we barely had the ball... what can you do?

I like the helpless tone :)

build a different side, with the ambition to get more of the ball... get one attacker less, one more building midfielder for example, instead of sticking on your 4 -4 - 2

about Poland, do you think they'll play any different tonight against Russia and retreat behind a double curtain?

Funko
12-06-2012, 13:07:36
We don't have another building midfielder in the squad.

Funko
12-06-2012, 13:09:54
The squad really is extremely limited. The first eleven is ok but if we get a defender or central midfielder injured we've got nothing.

Funko
12-06-2012, 13:14:26
You'd want Wilshire, Cleverly or Lampard as options, but all injured. Or Carrick but he withdrew from England after being messed around by Capello.

It's why there was semi-serious talk about trying to get 97 year old Paul Scholes back in the squad.

Fistandantilus
12-06-2012, 13:18:52
And yet the world's most accurate passer is an englisman :rolleyes:

Oh, and proof (http://sport.uk.msn.com/blog/talking-tactics-blogpost.aspx?post=26cdeb4c-c467-4fe3-b412-f8412cd8d9d2&_nwpt=1) :mad:

Funko
12-06-2012, 13:44:39
Funnily we were talking last night was about how Rodgers would struggle at Liverpool because he didn't have the kind of footballing midfielders at Liverpool that he had at Swansea.

Would much prefer to see either of those two in the squad ahead of Henderson...

maroule
12-06-2012, 14:29:13
because Hogson didn't pick one or because there isn't a single one left in England?

Funko
12-06-2012, 14:40:07
There are some but completely untested at this level.

It's not particularly easy for him to pick a squad with so little time to prepare, would be difficult for him to pick someone like Leon Britton with no European or international experience and little chance to evaluate him in a squad. He picked Oxlade-Chamberlain but he'd at least had some good games in the champions league.

I liked Stuart Pearce's approach against the Netherlands in that friendly (which we lost).

But we hired Hodgson, this is how his teams play. This is the same abuse he got when he went to Sweden. It's not pretty football but it is effective.

And if you look at Fulham and West Brom what he did was first work on the basics, get the team structure and defending correctly, then as the months went on he added more to the attacking dimensions of the side. I think we'll see the same here. He hasn't had 2+ years to evolve his side like everyone else.

Fistandantilus
12-06-2012, 15:15:57
In short you hired a manager who likes to park the bus, you parked the bus effectively and got the result you wanted so now you're happy.

Fair enough. As a neutral that match was one of (if not the one) most boring I watched at this euros, I hope something changes (in the mentality at least) against Sweden.

Funko
12-06-2012, 15:23:05
Watching England at a major tournament is never boring for me. It's hellish tension for 90 minutes.

And we were worse in our opening games of the last few tournaments we played in... England have never won an opening game in a European Championships. So we have equalled our best ever performance.

Funko
12-06-2012, 16:21:07
Czechs exposing just how good Greece are.

Funko
12-06-2012, 16:29:35
Analysis for stats fans.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jun/12/euro-2012-england-france-passing?intcmp=239

Fistandantilus
12-06-2012, 16:31:09
What's your excuse for not exposing France in the same way? :mad:

Funko
12-06-2012, 16:34:22
We're too shit.

Fistandantilus
12-06-2012, 18:17:17
There haven't been any 0-0s so far. Keeping a clean sheet seems very hard.

Funko
12-06-2012, 20:03:05
Unless you are a Dane!

Fistandantilus
13-06-2012, 06:15:14
Surprisingly I didn't have to be russian or pole to enjoy yesterday game :p

And yeah only the danes and the germans were able not to concede so far will see if that changes today.

Back!
13-06-2012, 06:44:11
England have never won an opening game in a European Championships.
yes, I heard a comment reporting England never won one, and France never lost one.
allegedly (did not check myself) their respective records before the game were
France 4-2-0
England 0-3-3
so now
France 4-3-0
England 0-4-3

Back!
13-06-2012, 06:48:20
so, don't we have a proper Euro 2012 final tournament thread?
will this "fantasy" one do for real matches and comments too?

OK

first of all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012#Group_stage

Tie-breaking criteria
If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings:[39]

Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
If, after having applied criteria 1) to 3) to several teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1) to 3) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine the final rankings of the two teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5) to 9) apply in the order given;[40]
superior goal difference in all group matches;
higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system
fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
drawing of lots

I draw yor attention on criterium 7

Back!
13-06-2012, 06:51:33
situation after matchday 2

Group A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_Group_A

P F A D
RUS 4 5 2 +3
CZE 3 3 5 -2
POL 2 2 2 =
GRE 1 2 3 -1

On the next match day (16 June):

All teams will advance to the quarter-finals if they win their next match

Russia will also advance to the quarter-finalsif they draw with Greece or
if they lose to Greece by fewer than six goals and the Czech Republic draw with Poland.
The Czech Republic will also advance to the quarter-finals if they draw with Poland AND the result of the match between Greece and Russia is anything but a win of fewer than six goals for Greece.

Fistandantilus
13-06-2012, 07:25:38
yes, I heard a comment reporting England never won one, and France never lost one.

Tradition!

Fistandantilus
13-06-2012, 07:29:11
Really? Greece only needs a win against Russia to advance?

Funko
13-06-2012, 08:17:12
Best game so far?

Arshavin at the end of that game was a bit of an embarassment I thought. Walking around, ordering his players not to pass the ball forward. Fouling so he didn't have to track back.

Funko
13-06-2012, 08:17:38
allegedly (did not check myself) their respective records before the game were
France 4-2-0
England 0-3-3
so now
France 4-3-0
England 0-4-3

No wonder it was boring, the draw was inevitable.

Fistandantilus
13-06-2012, 08:24:20
I heard at Arsenal he plays with his hands in his pockets so that it's not really surprising :lol:

Back!
13-06-2012, 08:28:29
Really? Greece only needs a win against Russia to advance?

expounding it:

Russia

1st if RUS win
1st if RUS draw and CZE-POL draw too
1st if RUS draw and POL win by less than 3, or by 3 but not scoring 4 more than RUS
1st if RUS lose by 1 or 2, and CZE-POL draw (* by 1 rule 2, by 2 rule 3)

2nd if RUS draw and CZE win
2nd if RUS draw and POL win by 4, or by 3 scoring 4 more than RUS
2nd if RUS lose by 3 or 4, and CZE-POL draw (*)
2nd if RUS lose by 5 and CZE draw not scoring 2+ more (* e.g. 0-5 1-1, 1-6 2-2...)

OUT if RUS lose and CZE or POL win: they'd tie for 2nd with GRE who'd tho just beaten them
OUT if RUS lose by 5 and CZE draw scoring 2+ more (* e.g. 0-5 2-2, 1-6 3-3...)
OUT if RUS lose by 6 and CZE-POL draw (*)

(*)
if RUS lose and CZE draw there will be a 3-way tie RUS-GRE-CZE
they'd all have 1 win & 1 loss in the matches between them, so we'd have to go with criteria 2 & 3
current standing in tied matches, RUS-GRE to play (not counting yet the assumed GRE win)
RUS 4 1 +3
GRE 1 2 -1
CZE 3 5 -2 final

___

Czech Rep.

1st if CZE win and RUS don't

2nd if CZE win but RUS win too
2nd if CZE draw and RUS don't lose (i.e. GRE don't win)
2nd if CZE draw AND GRE beat RUS by 6
2nd if CZE draw AND GRE beat RUS by 5, provided CZE score 2 more than RUS (* g.diff -2 rule 3 applies e.g. 2-2 0-5, 3-3 1-6...)

OUT if CZE draw and GRE beat RUS by 5, but CZE don't score 2 more than RUS
OUT if CZE draw and RUS lose by 4 or less
OUT if CZE lose (of course)

___

Poland

1st if POL win and GRE beat RUS
1st if POL win by 4+ and RUS draw
1st if POL win by 3 and RUS draw, provided POL score 4 more (e.g. 4-1 0-0, 5-2 1-1...)

2nd if POL win and RUS win
2nd if POL win by 3 and RUS draw, but POL don't score 4 more (e.g. 3-0 0-0, 4-1 1-1...)
2nd if POL win by 1 or 2 and RUS draw

OUT if POL don't win

___

Greece

1st if GRE win by 3+ AND CZE draw

2nd if GRE win otherwise than above

OUT if GRE don't win

___

so not only any team can still qualify, but they can still all win the group

Fistandantilus
13-06-2012, 08:35:40
Cool stuff

Back!
13-06-2012, 09:08:58
I enjoy such what-if tables almost more than watching games
:D

I hope tho next groups will be simpler!

Fistandantilus
13-06-2012, 09:21:40
I didn't know the 1st tie breaker is head to head score until you posted it, i thought it was goal difference.

In this case is way better as every team can shape their own destiny.

Funko
13-06-2012, 09:59:46
Today we could end up with all 4 teams on 3 points, or set it up nicely so we can finish with 3 teams on 6 points. Both would be great.

Funko
13-06-2012, 10:00:06
I didn't know the 1st tie breaker is head to head score until you posted it, i thought it was goal difference.

In this case is way better as every team can shape their own destiny.

And if it's a 3 way tie it's head to head against the other 2 teams.

maroule
13-06-2012, 10:28:50
Poland - Russia was a game I never thought I would enjoy... yet... great fun

and Funko, great example of a team with very average players attacking and playing positive. Honestly, how many Poles would get in the England starting 11? (not even levandowski in front of Rooney me thinks) and yet, while Russia was clearly superior, they went for it...

Back!
13-06-2012, 10:35:43
how many Poles would get in the England starting 11?

if properly fit, eleven, of course

Back!
13-06-2012, 10:43:38
And if it's a 3 way tie it's head to head against the other 2 teams.

to be noted, that in a 3-way tie if two teams are tied by rule 2, i.e. 3-way goal difference, they still have to look rule 3, 3-way goals scored

that's why Greece just need to beat Russia with any score if Czechs don't draw
but if those draw, if Greece win by 2 they'd tie Russia on goal difference, but would have scored one less in 3-way matches (and btw in group matches too as they bot drew 1-1 vs Poland); so, they'd still be behind Russia despite having beaten them

Funko
13-06-2012, 10:43:48
Poland - Russia was a game I never thought I would enjoy... yet... great fun

and Funko, great example of a team with very average players attacking and playing positive. Honestly, how many Poles would get in the England starting 11? (not even levandowski in front of Rooney me thinks) and yet, while Russia was clearly superior, they went for it...

Yeah, whatever. We were negative, the stats say we had one of the worst performances of the tournament.

And you still couldn't beat us. Embarassing.

I expect Sweden and Ukraine will show you how it is done.

Funko
13-06-2012, 10:47:07
Not sure why you thought you wouldn't enjoy Poland and Russia after their opening games.

Back!
13-06-2012, 11:04:01
Today we could end up with all 4 teams on 3 points, or set it up nicely so we can finish with 3 teams on 6 points. Both would be great.

if Dutch and Portuguese win 1-0, they'll also all be equal on difference and goals scored
:cute:

with two identical draws on last day, they'll have to go by rule 7, that's why I drew your attention on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#Final_ranking_in_2011
I think the above was pre-playoffs
for this tournament seeding, this other was used
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_seeding
and I think that's the one rule 7 would go by (i.e. they won't count the just-played 3 matches themselves, for the tie-breaker coefficient)
so, in case of all-equal ties, the rule 7 qualification would go in Pot order, except for the hosts who despite in Pot1 were actually both bottom-ranked

Funko
13-06-2012, 11:12:19
I was talking to Mr_B about this yesterday we said we'd have to ask MoSe. :lol:

Funko
13-06-2012, 12:43:28
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/13/antonio-cassano-gay-tobias-hysen

I'm shocked any of the Italian football team are NOT gay?!

Fistandantilus
13-06-2012, 14:20:18
As all the fuss started due to a writer publishing a book about homosexuality in sport in which stated he had a relationship with one of them (and knows another one is gay) I think not all of them are :p

And yes Cassano is a douche, they specifically asked that question because they know thinking is not his strong point (and the writer got a helluva lot of publicity).

Funko
13-06-2012, 14:32:13
I reckon that Berlusconi fella is probably gay too.

Fistandantilus
13-06-2012, 14:42:34
Among other things, yes.

mr_B
13-06-2012, 15:40:54
HOLLAND!!!
HOLLAND!!!

Funko
13-06-2012, 19:47:31
Reminds me of our match against them at the world cup so far. :(

Fistandantilus
13-06-2012, 20:02:41
You actually seemed to care :p

Funko
14-06-2012, 08:13:37
Was hoping for a really good contest, and Dutch win.

Germany were excellent. Going to be very hard to beat.

Fistandantilus
14-06-2012, 10:11:56
The ducth still have a chance tho, don't they?

Funko
14-06-2012, 10:26:58
Yes, they need to win and Germany to win.

Funko
14-06-2012, 10:27:16
then it goes to a complex MoSe calculation.

Funko
14-06-2012, 13:06:54
We can have Germany vs Poland in the next round can't we?

Unbelievable atmosphere potential.

Back!
14-06-2012, 13:15:50
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_Group_B

this time wiki didn't even try

GER 6 3 1 +2
POR 3 3 3 =
DEN 3 3 3 =
NED 0 1 3 -2

Sun 17 Jun
GER v DEN
POR v NED

Germany

1st if GER don't lose

2nd if GER lose but POR don't win
2nd if GER lose by 1 scoring 2+ (2-3, 3-4) even if POR win

OUT if GER lose 0-1 or 1-2 and POR win
OUT if GER lose by 2 and POR win
___

Portugal

1st if POR win and DEN beat GER 1-0

2nd if POR win and DEN don't
2nd if POR win and DEN beat GER 2-1
2nd if POR win and DEN beat GER by 2+
2nd if POR draw and DEN don't win
2nd if POR lose by 1 and DEN lose

OUT if POR win and DEN beat GER by 1 scoring 3+ (3-2, 4-3)
OUT if POR draw and DEN win
OUT if POR lose and DEN don't
OUT if POR lose by 2+ even if DEN lose too
___

Denmark

1st if DEN win and POR don't
1st if DEN win better than 1-0 even if POR win

2nd if DEN win 1-0 and POR win
2nd if DEN draw and POR lose

OUT if DEN draw and POR don't lose
OUT if DEN lose
___

Netherlands

2nd if NED win by 2+ and DEN lose

OUT in any other case

Back!
14-06-2012, 13:17:34
The ducth still have a chance tho, don't they?
Yes, they need to win and Germany to win.
then it goes to a complex MoSe calculation.

actually you see how dutch case is the simplest
they need to win by 2 and Germany to win

Back!
14-06-2012, 13:25:09

yes, although I figure that match must already have been played sometime before

both teams can still end winners or runners-up, so as hosts play home, the added atmosphere would be that it will be either match 25 in Warsaw, or more likely match 26 in Gdansk
___

found this:
http://donotmentionthewar.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/history-at-euro-2012/#more-1062

Funko
14-06-2012, 13:26:44
Simple for you and MoSe. :)

Funko
14-06-2012, 13:28:01
yes, although I figure that match must already have been played sometime before

Not in a tournament in Poland?

Fistandantilus
14-06-2012, 15:33:49
.. <rundown of possible scenarios>

Excellent stuff :beer:

And so it's clear Denmark - Germany will end 3-2 as that result qualifies both team regardless of what happens in the other game.

Good find, I'm going to bet a few grands on it.

Funko
14-06-2012, 15:47:18
Depends whether there is a benefit in winning the group.

maroule
14-06-2012, 16:49:54
Not sure why you thought you wouldn't enjoy Poland and Russia after their opening games.

because I don't give a fly about either team or either of the 23 players in each one... possibly with the exception of Obraniak, who I find under rated and who was again superb

to hammer a point home, what I find surprising is the level of resignation/acceptance in the public opinion in England-well exemplified by Funko- about their team playing ugly with zero ambition. I don't buy for a second the argument that you don't have the players (counter factual evidences abound - yesterday again Denmark was limited -one excellent player, Erickssen, and a decent one Bendtner, the rest very average- but positive).

I suspect there is a not so secret hope that these negative tactics can do a Chelsea, and that many supporters are ready to endure a shit sandwich for 90mn in that hope. Obvisouly, if you go out, the team will be a field of ruin, with nothing to show for the "transformational" Capello experiment (already being liquidated tactically, for sure, but not in the choice of younger players)

Fistandantilus
14-06-2012, 18:24:41
Depends whether there is a benefit in winning the group.

Yeah that one has flaws but I have a better one.

- Spain to win tonight with 3 or more goal difference
- Spain 2 - 2 Croatia

And I would also bet on Cassano scoring the winner against Ireland in injury time and then falling down crying as he realizes it was a useless feat.

What a cowarldy second half we played :mad:

maroule
15-06-2012, 07:31:41
Ireland... 7 goals conceded in 2 matches... I bet they are regretting any unfair hand ball that would have allowed them to stay home, manfully camped on the self-rightuous mountain

Funko
15-06-2012, 07:35:20
to hammer a point home, what I find surprising is the level of resignation/acceptance in the public opinion in England-well exemplified by Funko- about their team playing ugly with zero ambition.

I am one of the more positive ones. :lol: Before the tournament over 50% of fans in online polls thought we wouldn't get out of the group. That's increased slightly. I always thought we should be able to.

Fist had it right:

Agreed, expectations in England must have reached an all time low.

We secretly (or in some cases not so secretly) feared a thrashing and are just happy to get a draw however we got it.

Our preparations for this tournament couldn't have been worse.

Funko
15-06-2012, 07:37:28
Ireland... 7 goals conceded in 2 matches... I bet they are regretting any unfair hand ball that would have allowed them to stay home, manfully camped on the self-rightuous mountain

Get over it.

maroule
15-06-2012, 08:26:28
ooooh sorry, didn't realize it's a no joke territory

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 08:32:49
It doesn't matter how many goals they will concede, they deserved the chance.
I loved how their fans were still supporting the team 4 goals down.

And Henry is still and always will be a dirty cheater :p

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 08:34:04
We secretly (or in some cases not so secretly) feared a thrashing and are just happy to get a draw however we got it.

You better win tonight or people will start thinking England is crap for real :lol:

Funko
15-06-2012, 09:02:22
If we don't win you'll see that I was right.

Funko
15-06-2012, 09:05:01
We are apparently seeing Andy Carroll tonight, so you'll be able to enjoy the more attacking side of England. ie. John Terry lumping balls up to a big lumbering oaf with limited skill.

maroule
15-06-2012, 09:07:58
And Henry is still and always will be a dirty cheater :p

like 99% of footballers when they get the chance, so it's not a good reason to hate him personally.

A much better reason was that he was (is) a narcissistic arse hole who for example manipulated the public opinion and the France managers into dropping Trezeguet, who was blocking his sunlight... the guy has a ego the size of mount rushmore...

Funko
15-06-2012, 09:08:45
France also need to win, other wise it really is squeaky bum time for them.

Funko
15-06-2012, 09:10:39
ooooh sorry, didn't realize it's a no joke territory

Sorry I missed the joke I just heard bitter whining. :p

Funko
15-06-2012, 09:13:43
If Carrol is playing I wonder if that means they'll bring in Downing for his "crossing ability" (0 assists and 0 goals for Liverpool this season).

Funko
15-06-2012, 09:24:25
9.31am: When Oleh Blokhin was appointed manager of Ukraine, many observers predicted that he would not get a long with Andriy Shevchenko, suggesting the team was not big enough for both their egos. Asked waht their relationship has been like, the manager replied in yesterday's pre-match press conference that "everyone predicted that therre would be scandals between us but two great players have found a common language". Asked specifically what Shevchenko's role is in the team beyond scoring goals, Blokhin deadpanned: "He brings the coffee".

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 10:22:19
If Carrol is playing I wonder if that means they'll bring in Downing for his "crossing ability" (0 assists and 0 goals for Liverpool this season).

His crossing ability is undisputed by virtue of his 17/20 crossing skill in football manager. I think he's second to Beckham only. Your attempt to bringing up real world stats to disprove that is shameful.

Sweden are in shamble, I fully expect England to win comfortably.

And :lol:@Blokhin

Funko
15-06-2012, 10:41:01
Yes. We should beat them. But I've watched England in tournaments before.

maroule
15-06-2012, 10:51:14
France also need to win, other wise it really is squeaky bum time for them.

very much so

Funko
15-06-2012, 10:59:03
I think you have a tougher test* than us. Ukraine won't sit back and defend, and they will have passionate home crowd urging them on. Could be a tough game.

*though I wouldn't be surprised if you pass your tougher test and we flunk ours.

Funko
15-06-2012, 11:10:38
We've never beaten sweden in a competitive international. 5 draws and 2 losses. So put your money on England being on 2 points at the end of the day.

maroule
15-06-2012, 11:21:34
I think you have a tougher test* than us. Ukraine won't sit back and defend, and they will have passionate home crowd urging them on. Could be a tough game.

*though I wouldn't be surprised if you pass your tougher test and we flunk ours.

it should be tough BUT at least there will be space
if France can't win tonight, there isn't too much hope for later on, so we might as well pack up... and, obviously, same for you... a draw tonight and you might end up playing Ukraine for their last hope to qualify, that would be fun...

Funko
15-06-2012, 12:50:49
We always end up with 4 points. (that's the perception, wonder if it's really true).

Funko
15-06-2012, 12:51:14
it should be tough BUT at least there will be space

So... denying you space is a good plan?! :lol:

Funko
15-06-2012, 12:54:28
Swedish humour:

https://p.twimg.com/AvbGUVVCEAARL73.jpg

https://twitter.com/VisitSwedenUK/status/213576084963332098/photo/1/large#euro2012

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 13:09:16
Is that an actual newspaper or someone who photoshopped it for fun?

Funko
15-06-2012, 13:12:15
Not sure if they actually published it or just mocked it up but it's tweeted from their official feed.

Funko
15-06-2012, 13:13:08
It looks like it's the proper paper. :D

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 13:17:24
Wow. That redefines the boundiaries of humor, or lack of.

Funko
15-06-2012, 13:18:18
We just need to pin that up in the dressing room.

Funko
15-06-2012, 14:47:20
Just read this on another forum:

After last night's results, if things go well for France in the next couple of games it could be France-Croatia in the quarters (my Italian colleagues are already assuming that Spain & Croatia are as corrupt as Italy & it'll be a 2-2 draw, thus sending them out).

:lol: Is it the whole of Italy?

Funko
15-06-2012, 15:02:28
3.15pm: "Sorry to be an old party pooper but, if my maths are right, today's games are largely irrelevant," says party pooper Oliver Dennis, pooping everyone's party. "No matter who wins, loses or draws, everything is still up for grabs in the final group game. In each of the nine permutations possible from today's two games, Ukraine, France and England can still all qualify regardless if they win their final games. And in six of the permutations possible, Sweden can also still qualify if they win next week." It's luck the US Open is on then, I'll watch that instead. In fact, we've got live coverage with Scott Murray running right now. Scott is about to embark on a 12-hour shift, wish him luck.

Hmm?

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 15:05:31
Watch it happen :mad:

Funko
15-06-2012, 15:10:32
Well now my favourite footballer has been dropped I don't care if Italy go home. :(

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 15:15:40
Pirlo is still playing :mad:

Funko
15-06-2012, 15:21:33
Now Sid Lowe's at it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jun/15/euro-2012-italy-spain-croatia

Funko
15-06-2012, 15:41:52
The mirror respond to the swedes:

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article884481.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Aftonbladet+front+page

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 15:43:08
:lol: well played

Back!
15-06-2012, 15:50:07
sorry,
came at work before 8 am and had to actually work till now...

I'll make it thus short

Group C

If ITA don't win, SPA & CRO are qualified, with SPA 1st unless they lose

It ITA win, the winner of SPA-CRO is 1st, ITA 2nd, and the loser OUT

If ITA win AND the SPA-CRO game ends in a draw, then:

SPA-CRO 2-2 or higher: 1st SPA, 2nd CRO, ITA OUT regardless their win
SPA-CRO 0-0: 1st ITA, 2nd SPA, CRO OUT

SPA-CRO 1-1
they'll be all equal in tied matches
lookup Group matches, which means their 3 results vs Ireland

SPA-IRL 4-0
CRO-IRL 3-1

Uefa National Ranking (rule 7): SPA-ITA-CRO

So ITA get 1st if they win better than 4-0
ITA get 2nd with a win in-between, included 3-1 and 4-0
ITA get OUt if they win by 1, or 2-0

Funko
15-06-2012, 15:52:26
I think that England want a Ukraine win/draw because then we can win the group with 2 wins.

Ukraine win is ideal then we can win the group and knock out France.

Most likely we'll lose whatever happens. :lol:

Funko
15-06-2012, 15:54:13
4.41pm: Here's a good stat courtesy of the good folks at Opta: France are without a win in eight consecutive tournament games taking into account European Championships and World Cups. Their last tournament victory was on 5 July 2006 thanks to Zinedine Zidane's penalty against Portugal.

Oh dear. That's worse than England.

Back!
15-06-2012, 15:54:18

It doesn't matter how many goals they will concede, they deserved the chance.
I loved how their fans were still supporting the team 4 goals down.

O IRISH FANS, A WINNER IS YOU

:beer:

Back!
15-06-2012, 15:56:02
remarkble Spain achievement:
they managed no clean sheets in all their previous Euro Final Tournament 2nd games
they finally did now

Funko
15-06-2012, 15:56:34
Irish hospitality.

Funko
15-06-2012, 16:13:41
GOD SAYS NO!

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 16:13:43
Stupid rain.

Funko
15-06-2012, 16:19:47
This is what Ireland needed yesterday to thrive against the Spanish. Playing in a peat bog.

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 16:24:45
Plus the spanish always complain about not watering down the pitch enough. That should do.

Funko
15-06-2012, 16:26:50
I can't see this but it sounds amazing.

Funko
15-06-2012, 16:28:46
looked at the satellite pics, looks like this has already passed Kiev.

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 16:30:21
You're missing out a good lightning storm

Funko
15-06-2012, 16:30:40
I am hoping to watch it later.

Funko
15-06-2012, 16:30:54
More interesting than the last France game huh?! :cute:

Fistandantilus
15-06-2012, 16:33:13
Yeah, but unfortunatly we can't blame the english this time.

Funko
15-06-2012, 16:34:48
I'm sure maroule will.

Funko
16-06-2012, 07:01:19
Well the second half wasn't boring...

I hope Walcott played his way into the starting line-up. Rooney available next match going to be an interesting selection dilemma.

Still managed to make beating a very limited Sweden side hard work. Let them have 2 easy goals, and looked very average for most of the first hour.

Fistandantilus
16-06-2012, 08:34:15
So what do you think about the ref?

Walrus Feeder
16-06-2012, 09:07:53
After the second round of games is now over it's looking really close in our fantasy fotball league. 4 points separating the top 5!

1 The Daltonians Simon Majoulet 53 93
2 polobello Paul Bellorini 62 92
3 2LEG Florian Delegue 46 92
4 Free fallers Giuseppe Tencati 55 89
5 Mentalist Kharkiv Matthew Sinclair 43 89
6 Unholy 19666 Michael Hefferan 40 79
7 Joe Caltotip andrea appendino 37 76
8 waverley wafflers fc Nial Coulter 40 71

Fistandantilus
17-06-2012, 09:27:40
Yeah, I think a lot will be decided by captain choice as nearing the end the options will be few due to less teams playing.

Funko
17-06-2012, 19:58:26
So, Greece and Czechs going through, just what everyone predicted.

Back!
18-06-2012, 06:50:31
Would you be annoyed at me if I don't do the usual what-if table for group D?

Let's just say this:

France and England are tied and drew h2h, so if they remain tied we'll have to look at group difference and scored

France are ahead +2 vs +1
In case they both draw, that won't change and FRA will keep 1st

In case they both win, to get 1st England will have to make up 1 goal difference, otoh they scored 1 more
So with 1-0 FRA and 2-0 ENG, the latters will win the group
Same with FRA 2-1, and with 3-2 too as in such case rule 7 will apply
FRA will instead retain the lead in case of 4-3 and 2-0

In case they both lose, UKR will be 1st and the tiebreaker will separate the qualified team from the ones that go OUT
ENG will be down to = diff at best, so if FRA lose by 1 they'll be guaranteed qualification as 2nd in any case (even if ENG-UKR draw, FRA won h2h vs UKR)

If FRA lose by 2 they'd be 2nd if ENG draw, but they'd go OUT if ENG lose by 1
FRA 0-2, ENG 0-1 but also
FRA 1-3, ENG 0-1 (rule 7)
FRA 2-4, ENG 0-1 would see FRA thru instead on goals scored

So, should England see at last minute that FRA is 0-2 and they're 0-0, which would mean ENG 1st and FRA 2nd, would they concede 1 goal and renouncce to group lead, only to see FRA eliminated???
;)

Back!
18-06-2012, 07:06:38
We can have Germany vs Poland in the next round can't we?

we'll have GERMANY vs GREECE instead!
a modern rivalry in the making!

Hot political and economical issues in the background!
An active Greek CG poster ready and willing to get drunk and insult Germans!

to piratikò !!

Funko
18-06-2012, 07:36:11
So, should England see at last minute that FRA is 0-2 and they're 0-0, which would mean ENG 1st and FRA 2nd, would they concede 1 goal and renouncce to group lead, only to see FRA eliminated???
;)

No.

Funko
18-06-2012, 07:55:01
Oh dear Holland.

Germany win 3/3 in the Group of death. Never really look in any trouble in any of their 3 games and get a nice easy Quarter Final. Looking very strong indeed.

Funko
18-06-2012, 07:56:24
I need England to win the group. We have some friends, a couple who have a joint 30th/40th birthday party on Saturday night... so we must either go our or win the group so I don't have to miss the game... urgh.

maroule
18-06-2012, 08:53:13
waou, quite a few surprises this WE!! in order:

1/ England attacked! their match was pleasant to watch!
2/ Holland, arguably the best team during the qualif stage out with 0 points!
3/ Russia out at the expense of Greece!
4/ Italy preparing the conspiracy theories! (ok, this one is not a surprise)

Fistandantilus
18-06-2012, 08:53:26
Missing the game is a small price to pay for winning the euros later on.

Funko
18-06-2012, 10:45:55
I will record the game anyway. I doubt I'll be able to get home without finding out the result but I can spend the next day watching our heroic victory/delete our humiliating loss without having to suffer it.

Funko
18-06-2012, 10:50:45
Walcott potentially injured. :(

Funko
18-06-2012, 10:52:30
That reminds me the really annoying co-commentator Mark Lawrenson, was really scathing of Theo! Theo! when he came on. Said he had been crap for ages, and did an 'impression' of him saying "I scored a hattrick against Croatia but I've done nothing since".

I hope Lawro mocks more of our players.

Fistandantilus
18-06-2012, 13:16:48
I still have no idea how you could prefer Mr. Chamberlain to him.

Funko
18-06-2012, 13:47:47
I don't. I could understand Roy's thinking.

Funko
18-06-2012, 13:48:17
I wanted him to play them both. :D

Funko
18-06-2012, 14:38:09
Oh dear UEFA you fucking twats.

Fine for showing off a pair of pants: €100,000.
Fine for Porto fans' racist behaviour against Manchester City: €20,000.

Fine for racism by Bulgaria fans: €40000.

Fine for racism by Croatia fans: £10,000.

Fistandantilus
18-06-2012, 15:06:51
I haven't seen them. Did Bendtner wear offensive pants?

Funko
18-06-2012, 15:08:34
Advertising Paddy Power, a bookmaker who sponsors him but not the team...

He also got a match ban:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/18/euro-2012-nicklas-bendtner-underwear

(and huge publicity for his sponsor, so money well spent there!)

Funko
18-06-2012, 15:11:15
I wouldn't have known anything about this if they hadn't banned him from wearing them then fined him. Bannings backfire.

Fistandantilus
18-06-2012, 15:26:37
I didn't know there was such a rule. :lol:

And, that made me check paddypower.it and there is a huge red block of text that reads (i'm translating) "Paddy Power will refund all bets on italy winning the euros if Croatia - Spain ends 2 - 2 or a higher scoring draw and that causes the elimination of italy" How lame :lol:

maroule
18-06-2012, 16:52:13
do people in Italy realize it is hugely insulting to spain and croatia to believe they will cheat (and in such a blatant way)?

maroule
19-06-2012, 07:54:54
Croatia really exposed Spain yesterday...

Funko
19-06-2012, 07:55:08
I agree. They showed how you can play them and were unlucky to lose.

Walcott, Welbeck, Rooney and Young? :cool:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/18/euro-2012-roy-hodgson-theo-walcott

Funko
19-06-2012, 08:17:56
I have high expectations for tonight, so expect us to crash out to a last minute goal.

Fistandantilus
19-06-2012, 09:16:43
do people in Italy realize it is hugely insulting to spain and croatia to believe they will cheat (and in such a blatant way)?

Oh pfffff. Nobody really believed they would actually do it on purpose, it's the press that builds things up that way.

Fistandantilus
19-06-2012, 09:18:11
I have high expectations for tonight, so expect us to crash out to a last minute goal.

Will you ever learn?

And I hope you will top the group. Been a long time since we played England I think and we'll get trounced without too many regrets.

maroule
19-06-2012, 09:20:35
you have to love Balotteli, he's just a hand grenade waiting to blow off... and at the same time, his talent can decide matches... great selection dilemna for the coach, should he pick an agent of chaos, à la Joker...

maroule
19-06-2012, 09:25:52
England - Ukraine is set up for a fairly straightforward English victory; Ukraine must attack like crazy, and they are quite vulnerable on the counter... especially against fast players (that's what happened on the first french goal)... once they got behind, they deflated like a hot air baloon (that shouldn't happen tonight)

the french match should be fairly boring, except if Sweden scores first...

still, the odds are for a France-Italy next...

Funko
19-06-2012, 09:28:50
Will you ever learn?

And I hope you will top the group. Been a long time since we played England I think and we'll get trounced without too many regrets.

England vs Italy would potentially be a lot of fun.

OTOH France vs Spain would be tedious, all foreplay.

Argh I dunno. We need a lot of goals tonight and not to concede, it's certainly possible but I think it's very unlikely. France look better and have an easier game.

Funko
19-06-2012, 09:30:32
England - Ukraine is set up for a fairly straightforward English victory; Ukraine must attack like crazy, and they are quite vulnerable on the counter... especially against fast players (that's what happened on the first french goal)...

Yep and we're filling our attack with all our fast players.

And Shevvy might not play, he's looked like their only quality goal threat (but we can still gift goals to defenders who haven't scored international goals for 3 years so they shouldn't be disheartened.)

Funko
19-06-2012, 09:56:27
It is an undistinguished record, taking in Portugal in 2004, Sweden in 1992, Spain in 1982 and Italy in 1980. Each of the last four occasions England have faced the host nation in a major tournament it has ended with elimination from the competition. Even in the 1990 World Cup, when Italy were the opposition in the third‑place play-off, England lost and there was evidence of a team who run into difficulty in these fixtures.

:lol: :cry:

maroule
19-06-2012, 10:28:22
well, England hadn't won against sweden since the battle of standford bridge either, so historical records are there to be broken
(france had never won against a host nation in a major tournament before Ukraine either)

Funko
19-06-2012, 10:30:32
Stamford Bridge, like the stadium.

I didn't know you hadn't either. Good stat. Where was MoSe with that one?

Fistandantilus
19-06-2012, 12:11:52
still, the odds are for a France-Italy next...

Sad. France must be the team we played the most in recent years (WC 1998, Euro 2000, WC 2006, Euro 2008, qualifiers for WC 2010), we avoided each other in 2010 just because we both sucked so much it was unreal.

Funko
19-06-2012, 12:12:52
Yeah, boring, no-one wants it. France avoid that!

maroule
19-06-2012, 12:58:04
yeah, some journos here say we would be better off with Spain => argument goes; they were poor in their last match, might have lost the urgency, their defence is average against good dribblers and we have plenty, Ribery, Menez, ben Arfa, Valbuena, etc.

I don't buy that for a sec, but yeah, I've seen enough France-Italy for a lifetime, I'd love to avoid it.

Back!
19-06-2012, 13:01:14
Oh pfffff. Nobody really believed they would actually do it on purpose, it's the press that builds things up that way.

With Italy winning, CRO were eliminated and SPA 2nd

So CRO should have been going all out, and SPA would have been fighting to grabd 1st place, to put a safety buffer vs defeat, and for their World Champions pride, but without jeopardizing the draw.

Spain managed to pass ahead only at '88 (with a goal twice on the verge of offside).
At that point, with either 1-0 or 1-1 SPA were equally 1st, so they actually hadn't much motivation to retain the lead except their pride, whereas with Italy far from scoring 3 goals CRO had 5 minutes to try everything to get that redeeming equaliser. 5 minutes of terror for all italians everytime Spain lost a ball (they who are the masters of ball possession).

not that Italy hadn't shat their pants many time already when they let Ireland getting several times close to equalise themselves, till 90' Balotelli goal.

___

Thus, it wasn't a conspiracy issue.
It was just the natural dynamics of a game, given the motivations and the rewards with that kind of combined results

Back!
19-06-2012, 13:04:16
still, the odds are for a France-Italy next...Yeah, boring, no-one wants it. France avoid that!

then it must be UKR-ITA...
:cute:

maroule
19-06-2012, 13:33:49
I'd love to see Ukraine beat England, for the fun factor, but I don't see that happening...

Fistandantilus
19-06-2012, 13:55:04
I just realized there have been only 5 games ending in a tie out of 22 played.

Funko
19-06-2012, 13:55:36
Ukraine beating England is the only way you can get knocked out though.

Funko
19-06-2012, 15:05:25
England average more goals per game (2.09 to 1.89) and more victories (68.6% to 60.8%) when Wayne Rooney isn't in the team.

Funko
19-06-2012, 15:11:50
1.25pm: Hello. If England manage to win their group tonight, they will play Italy in the last eight on Sunday - it will be the first time the two sides have met since a friendly at Elland Road in 2002, a game the Italians won 2-1 thanks to two Vincenzo Montella strikes. Why so long? In that time, for example, England have played Germany three times, France four times, Holland four times, Spain four times, Brazil three times and Argentina twice. That's taking competitive and friendly matches into account in all cases - it's a bit odd they haven't played a friendly against Italy in that time, isn't it?

odd.

Funko
19-06-2012, 15:16:45
Warm up with Rooney, he's shared his pre-match tunes on Spotify.

http://open.spotify.com/user/rooneyonspotify/playlist/6T8OoHektlE944jdzcCzcG

Funko
19-06-2012, 15:22:05
Milner not Walcott is the latest rumour.

Guess we'll see him as a sub if not a starter. Get in behind once they are tired.

Fistandantilus
19-06-2012, 15:31:17
England average more goals per game (2.09 to 1.89) and more victories (68.6% to 60.8%) when Wayne Rooney isn't in the team.

They cherry picked the time period to check that stat didn't they?

Funko
19-06-2012, 15:41:28
Yep. :)

Back!
19-06-2012, 15:52:03
it will be the first time the two sides have met since a friendly at Elland Road in 2002, a game the Italians won 2-1 thanks to two Vincenzo Montella strikes

when was it that heel goal by Zola?

Funko
19-06-2012, 15:53:01

Funko
19-06-2012, 16:12:38
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/19/cristiano-ronaldo-12th-best-world

Funko
19-06-2012, 16:13:58
FUCK! IT'S TOO TENSE.

Fistandantilus
19-06-2012, 16:27:02
:lol:@CRonaldo

Calm down, still a couple hours to kick off. Beverages are ready?

Funko
19-06-2012, 16:29:11
I am at work for 9 mins. Then I have to drive home and run to the pub.

Fistandantilus
19-06-2012, 16:31:01

Funko
19-06-2012, 16:31:58
http://open.spotify.com/track/0e11RGEdSz6ZrASvL7zB9C

Fistandantilus
19-06-2012, 20:14:18
That was a goal, lucky England :p

Fistandantilus
19-06-2012, 20:46:19
It seems you are not going home :lol:

Grats :beer: (Funko must be drunk right now)

MOBIUS
19-06-2012, 21:32:50
And finally playing you guys too.

Funko
19-06-2012, 21:40:54
That was a goal, lucky England :p

It was offside.

Fistandantilus
20-06-2012, 06:08:22
I didn't see it. Anyway now you are three wins away from eternal glory :beer:

Funko
20-06-2012, 07:31:46
It was clearly over the line but I think:

1. Lampard.
2. He should have been given offside anyway.
3. What is the point of the official behind the goal?
4. If they had been given it, and gone on to score again and win, France would have been out?

Funko
20-06-2012, 07:34:25
Speaking of France :lol:

Fistandantilus
20-06-2012, 07:59:55
3. What is the point of the official behind the goal?

Yeah, that's the main thing. I chose to watch the France game (so only saw hightlights of England - Ukraine, will prolly watch it all when i have time) but if these things are still happening that solution is clearly a failure.