PDA

View Full Version : I've noticed

devilmunchkin
14-10-2011, 09:56:54
that more people in Manchester smoke than in the places I've been to in the US.

Why?

Cheshire Cat
14-10-2011, 10:58:43
maybe becasue across Europe in general we do not forbid to smoke IN THE OPEN too, as you do in the US?

In theory, our laws forbid to smoke when it causes scientifically certified harm to OTHER people.

it "should" not be forbidden:
- when you just "annoy" other people who see you smoke, but not actually inhale your smoke (by those standards you could get forbidden to wear the color purple, if there's a majority of people who get "annoyed" by that color...)
- when you just harm yourself, but not other people

of course it's not everywhere so tolerant

but afaik nowhere in Europe smokers are pointed at as pariahs or dangerous terrorists, as you do in the US
thus maybe we have some more who indulge in that self-harming vice, without being scared of getting socially banned

:p

____

now excuse me, but I have to vanish for a while
I'm gonna meet my friend the Hookah-Smoking Caterpillar

:D

mr_B
14-10-2011, 11:12:12
smoking kills
I'm a killer

devilmunchkin
14-10-2011, 13:27:32
I guess I never thought of it this way. Smoking in public doesn't really bother me outside of planes and restaurants.

mr_B
14-10-2011, 16:02:35
hi5

Mr. Bas
14-10-2011, 20:42:28
It's true for anywhere in Europe (except parts of Scandinavia maybe?). For some reason, smoking is much more frowned upon in the US. Silly bastards.

MDA
14-10-2011, 23:28:29
They've printed health warnings on the packs for about 40 years?, and people still do it.

Koshko
15-10-2011, 05:24:52
Smoking is a big turn-off to me. That said, I have no problems with people smoking in the open air or in bars. No to restaurants though or in my car.

Cheshire Cat
17-10-2011, 07:26:14
hey, I emphasised my post a bit, and I've never been overseas myself, but that's what my friends who did said. See Bas confirming it.

DM:
- planes: is there any company still allowing you to smoke on board? of course nobody smokes on planes!
- restaurants: afaik it's forbidden to smoke indoor in most public places across europe, including restaurants. You wouldn't (shouldn't) find people smoking in reastaurants or pubs, except in separated smoking areas (which not all resturants even provide; in such case you can see smokers who have to go *outside* even in winter). UNLESS they're private clubs.

K: in your car
hey, it bothers *myself* when *I* smoke in my own car. I understand you :D
About letting others smoke in YOUR own car, well it's not a public place, you're the master of the place, you decide, depending on your tolerance and the education of others.
:)

MDA: a wonderful demonstration of freewill!