PDA

View Full Version : What I've seen so far

devilmunchkin
18-09-2011, 13:33:48
Things I've experienced:

I tried Irish Stew. It had no meat. That made sense to me. I liked it.

I tried Boubon cookies. They were bland.

What's up with the Shredded Wheat not being frosted? I have to add a ton of sugar to my cereal.

I can't figure out how the grocery stores are organized. Makes no sense.

Do the English have something against selling condoms? I'm used to seeing them everywhere and in big packs.

I tried custard made from powder. Was bland.

Saw a woman in a burka for the first time.

I didn't get the feeling that there were many white people in Manchester. The city seems much more diverse than one would think.

Police cars do not seem very threatening. Petite vans with bright colors. Not intimidating.

Setting up the internet takes much too long. You have to wait a month for a tech to come out just to check the phone line. I'm currently in a school lab. I rented BT FON internet and it either doesn't work or runs slow. What a rip off.

Have to wait 2 weeks to get a bank account set up. Which means until then I have to use my US account and get charged international extra fees. Not all places even take my card - like T Mobile. So I have a phone but it is not turned on until I can get a bank account.

The weather: rain, stop, rain, stop, rain, stop.

What is with the English and sheep? I saw the head of the International Society wearing a tshirt with sheep on it. I had thought this sheep thing was limited to Funko.

I do not know how to work the heating systems or radiators.

Do the English not use softener when they wash their clothes? Don't the clothes get stiff when you hang them up afterwards?

ASDA sells kitty litter boxes that are much too small. Tonks peed on the floor.

People don't care for Americans because they don't like Bush. *sigh*

I didn't know that Manchester had 2 football teams.

Downtown Manchester looks very confusing.

It is pretty neat to know where your produce comes from.

I like British milk! However, I do not know the difference between British milk and regular milk.

Cornish ice cream is yummy. Tonks agrees.

Everything is so green. I love it!

My roof doesn't leak so it is nice to experience a rain shower without the shower coming in.

I'm in a 3rd story flat so I can collect the heat from the bottom 2 floors. This will help save electricity.

The first day I was here I snapped the key off in the front door. :eek:

I might possibly be getting the hang of the coins. People prefer the dollar coin to the paper note? There isn't much you can do with a penny.

Manchester has Subway sandwich shops everywhere. They advertise 5 footlongs. However, in the US you can get $5 footlongs which is way cheaper. 5 in the US is between 7 and 10 dollars.

I need to figure out how much the bus costs so I can go downtown. There isn't a bus stop immediately by my apartment though.

In Manchester, cashiers want you to sign the back of your cards. Debit cards where you don't sign them and use a pin instead have not caught on. The first time I experienced this, the teller scolded me like this is something I should have already known. It irritated me.

I was told by the men at the post office that you weren't supposed to smile on your passport in England. I said "I'm not from England." I wanted to add on a bit more but didn't.

During one of the big meetings for internationals, there was an American girl/woman who kept asking a lot of questions and had a very loud, obnoxious voice. It was embarrassing and other people were snickering at her.

It is really neat how Manchester has a mixture of modern and old-style buildings.

It is also great that most of the museums are free.

It is not cool that there isn't a student gym and that I will have to find one and pay for it.

There is a lot of food I want to try. I want to try curry but I don't know how to make it.

I've yet to see a chav.

Orientation is almost complete. I need to meet Iain and Provost when they meet again!

Manchester ASDA does not carry the right kind of tomato soup. They carry Ritz crackers but they are not the same.

Lays chips go by Walkers here.

Oatmeal is not as tasty here. It gets hard and actually tastes worse if you make it with milk instead of water.

I still need to try fish and chips.

So far, English food isn't nearly as bad as its reputation. Some of it is quite tasty.

They sell my favorite alcohol evah here! It's everywhere! (Strongbow) Don't have much time to drink it though.

OK.. more than enough for now. This was 10 days worth of observations.

devilmunchkin
18-09-2011, 13:35:59
Rather than save electricity - I will save on heating costs by living on the first floor.

devilmunchkin
18-09-2011, 13:38:16
ah.. here is a big one! At least once or twince each day, I am around someone who is not using deoderant. YUCK!!!!!!!!

ASDA sells deorderant sprays whereas Americans mainly use sticks. Is spray common or is just ASDA?

zmama
18-09-2011, 17:08:41
Frosted shredded wheat? YUCK

Koshko
18-09-2011, 17:25:23
Frosted shredded wheat is awesome.

zmama
18-09-2011, 17:26:50
If you are seven years old :)

Dyl Ulenspiegel
18-09-2011, 20:37:33
"Manchester has Subway sandwich shops everywhere. They advertise 5 footlongs. However, in the US you can get $5 footlongs which is way cheaper. 5 in the US is between 7 and 10 dollars."

On the other limb, an english foot is longer than a US foot.

Beta1
18-09-2011, 21:14:55
"Do the English have something against selling condoms? I'm used to seeing them everywhere and in big packs."

They are in the stationary section - labelled rubbers....

"I tried custard made from powder. Was bland."

Add milk, not water

"Saw a woman in a burka for the first time."

How do you know it wasn't a man?

"Police cars do not seem very threatening. Petite vans with bright colors. Not intimidating."

Go and ask then for a ride - they like it when people do that.

"The weather: rain, stop, rain, stop, rain, stop. "

You're lucky - it doesn't usually stop in manchester

"Do the English not use softener when they wash their clothes? Don't the clothes get stiff when you hang them up afterwards? "

No, because we use softener...

"ASDA sells kitty litter boxes that are much too small. Tonks peed on the floor. "

Cat needs eye check

"People don't care for Americans because they don't like Bush. *sigh* "

A lot of Americans don't like him either. Don't feel bad though - most brits don't like any world leader, including our own.

"I didn't know that Manchester had 2 football teams."

It doesn't - the americans got one and Abu Dahbi the other.

"It is pretty neat to know where your produce comes from."

Tescos mostly

"I like British milk! However, I do not know the difference between British milk and regular milk."

No idea -its all just milk

"In Manchester, cashiers want you to sign the back of your cards. Debit cards where you don't sign them and use a pin instead have not caught on. The first time I experienced this, the teller scolded me like this is something I should have already known. It irritated me."

Manchester = 1990

"I was told by the men at the post office that you weren't supposed to smile on your passport in England. I said "I'm not from England." I wanted to add on a bit more but didn't."

Its not just don't smile on your passport - your not allowed to smile at all. Not without the right paperwork anyway.

"I've yet to see a chav. "

Are you sure you're in Manchester?

Provost Harrison
18-09-2011, 23:10:04
Manchester = 1990

Says the man from Birmingham :lol: You were in the 1970s the last time I looked!

And there are plenty of chavs around...no shortage of those!

Provost Harrison
18-09-2011, 23:15:59
And me and Iain meet up rather regularly so you shouldn't have much of a problem organising something when you are ready. I'm just not available mid-week as I am in The Fatherland...

Poison Arrow Frog
19-09-2011, 04:08:09
"Manchester has Subway sandwich shops everywhere. They advertise 5 footlongs. However, in the US you can get $5 footlongs which is way cheaper. 5 in the US is between 7 and 10 dollars."

On the other limb, an english foot is longer than a US foot.

We shouldn't disparage the English economy. Who wouldn't think having a subway franchise on every corner is a sound basis for economic growth?

Funko
19-09-2011, 08:40:48
I like British milk! However, I do not know the difference between British milk and regular milk.

These are possibly related.

MOBIUS
19-09-2011, 08:48:32
I think it might be because of all the rain - it does have its advantages after all...

Fistandantilus
19-09-2011, 08:51:26
British milk is green??

Funko
19-09-2011, 08:51:48
jj

mr_B
19-09-2011, 09:56:21

Cort Haus
19-09-2011, 14:26:55

Manchester

Cheshire Cat
19-09-2011, 14:50:08
British milk is green??
jj

Soylent, of course

___

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabric_softener

Many modern washing machines have a dispenser which can add liquid fabric softener to the load of laundry automatically on the final rinse; in launderettes one may need to add it manually. Some brands of washing powder have fabric conditioning mixed in which is claimed to save money when compared to buying ordinary washing powder and fabric softener separately. Some fabric softeners are also claimed to make ironing easier or to make clothes dry faster. For best results, undiluted liquid fabric softener should not be poured directly onto clothes.

I wonder whether futuristic "2 in 1 washing powder + softener" products have made their way into UK, and furtherly into Manchester, yet

MDA
19-09-2011, 14:56:39
They were selling Big Ben condoms at the register in all the little tourist gift shops around Whitehall in London. The crappy kind that sell ash trays, shot glasses, and cheap tshirts.

When we went on our Thames walk, I actually saw a man in a hat and trenchcoat riding a bicycle. Most everyone else on a bicycle was wearing a bright yellow safety thingy.

You can get lunch for two in Bath for ten pounds, you have to look about to get it for less than twenty in London.

Cort Haus
19-09-2011, 15:13:54
You can get lunch for two in Bath for ten pounds, you have to look about to get it for less than twenty in London.

You can buy sandwiches from supermarkets for about 3 each.

MDA
19-09-2011, 15:23:20
Crisps - The same Walker's that makes the shortbread?

Funko
19-09-2011, 15:28:27
No.

Funko
19-09-2011, 15:29:26
Walkers crisps, used to be a british brand, bought by Pepsico who own Lays. Walkers Shortbread is still scottish and only makes shortbread.

zmama
19-09-2011, 15:49:25
shortbread with stem ginger....yum yum yum yum yum

Funko
19-09-2011, 15:56:32
I tried Irish Stew. It had no meat. That made sense to me. I liked it.

This is still confusing me, why did it have no meat? That makes it potato, onion and carrot in water?

Lurker
19-09-2011, 18:08:49
Cheapo Irish stew.

Poison Arrow Frog
19-09-2011, 18:39:28
The only decent stuff from a Walker is the Whiskey and only if you're looking for a passable blend.

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-09-2011, 20:37:10

If I'd known you were in Bath, I'd have recommended places. I grew up there, and still live pretty near it.

Cort Haus
19-09-2011, 22:26:56
This is still confusing me, why did it have no meat? That makes it potato, onion and carrot in water?

It's a lie. Merkins don't recognise meat unless it is on a plate the size of a dustbin lid and weighing several pounds.

I am assuming the OP is a Merkin. I will eat two portions of humble pie and chips if I am wrong.

Fistandantilus
19-09-2011, 23:16:32
Ok, I bite. What the hell is a Merkin?

zmama
19-09-2011, 23:22:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

MDA
20-09-2011, 02:37:39
can we change the thread title to "what I haven't seen so far", now?

zmama
20-09-2011, 03:56:39
You'll have to get the management, good luck with that!

Cort Haus
20-09-2011, 11:42:20
As George Bush would say "My fellow Merkins"

devilmunchkin
20-09-2011, 16:08:15
Add milk, not water

It is a 6p packet so I bought another one. We will see!

"Saw a woman in a burka for the first time."

How do you know it wasn't a man?

Why would a Muslim man wear a dress?

Go and ask then for a ride - they like it when people do that.

They may not be intimitating but that doesn't mean I'm going to walk up and be their friend.

"The weather: rain, stop, rain, stop, rain, stop. "

You're lucky - it doesn't usually stop in manchester

Yes - they are related. Where I come from it doesn't rain much and everything dies in the summer and is green in the winter.

I also noticed that Manchester has more trees and plants period than where I am from.

"ASDA sells kitty litter boxes that are much too small. Tonks peed on the floor. "

Cat needs eye check

I think it is meant for kittens. She is big for a cat. Not fat - just BIG.

A lot of Americans don't like him either. Don't feel bad though - most brits don't like any world leader, including our own.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid.

"It is pretty neat to know where your produce comes from."

Tescos mostly

I've only seen TESCO expresses around here. I went to ASDA. THe plums I got were from Spain. I got Spinach from Holland. Right across the street from the ASDA is an independent street market. Might try that sometime.

"I like British milk! However, I do not know the difference between British milk and regular milk."

No idea -its all just milk

It's milk but what makes British Milk different? The bottle actually said "British Milk."

Manchester = 1990

Also go along with how long it takes to set anything up.

Its not just don't smile on your passport - your not allowed to smile at all. Not without the right paperwork anyway.

I'm gathering this. Just dealing with setting everything up and waiting is enough to make me not smile.

"I've yet to see a chav. "

Are you sure you're in Manchester?

Perhaps I've seen one and not realized it. Perhaps they are so many that I think it is normal?

devilmunchkin
20-09-2011, 16:13:37
Yes, it was cheap. 35p.

I'm tried sultana scones today. Seemed just like biscuits (or what Americans call biscuits) with raisins in it.

Got something called a pasty but I haven't eaten it yet. ALso got some sausage rolls but not tried those yet either.

I discovered the most wonderful thing ever - chocolate spread. I got it in the peanut butter / jelly section. It is one of those things that I could never place on bread but prefer to eat straight out of the jar. Which I don't do much of due to the nutrition information telling me "this is not healthy!"

I see more people smoking than I was used to seeing in the areas I lived in in the US.

Fistandantilus
20-09-2011, 16:45:07
You mean there is no Nutella in the usa?

MDA
20-09-2011, 16:57:42
no, you can usually find it somewhere

probably hiding behind the marshmallow fluff

Dyl Ulenspiegel
20-09-2011, 16:59:51
"Why would a Muslim man wear a dress?"

How do you know it was a muslim?

"I discovered the most wonderful thing ever - chocolate spread."

So celebrate your redemption from peanut butter!

MDA
20-09-2011, 17:19:34
DJLDF6qZUX0

Poison Arrow Frog
20-09-2011, 21:50:54

They're just kinky like that.

Poison Arrow Frog
20-09-2011, 21:53:17
You mean there is no Nutella in the usa?

It's here but its consumption is just confined to freaks and foreigners (but I repeat myself).

Seriously, the stuff is so god awful sweet why would anyone eat it? It's almost like candy plus anything you'd use nutella on peanut butter would be better for. Game, set, match. :tizzy:

MDA
20-09-2011, 21:56:43
If it's god awful sweet, I'd expect it to be popular in the South.

Poison Arrow Frog
20-09-2011, 21:58:08
Yeah, you'd guess that... My guess is it hasn't reached them yet in shit kicker country. :p

Fistandantilus
21-09-2011, 06:24:37
God awful sweet is good.

Funko
21-09-2011, 07:33:56
It's milk but what makes British Milk different? The bottle actually said "British Milk."

Ah, ok. I've never seen/noticed that. It's probably just a marketing exercise, it's quite hard to buy milk in Britain that isn't British, but there's a strong push for people to buy local/British produce. AFAIK there's no different product that's "British Milk".

Funko
21-09-2011, 07:35:39

There was a story were a terrorist suspect tried to flee wearing his wife's burka.

Funko
21-09-2011, 07:39:44
re: litter trays, most cats in the UK are outdoor cats, I gather from zmama/LadyR that that isn't the case in the states because various areas have animals that maul/kill cats and other reasons. So the market for litter trays in the UK tends to be commonly aimed toward kittens. However there are enough house cats that you should be able to get more variety.

Funko
21-09-2011, 07:42:53
There were great ads here (which must have been borderline illegal) saying nutella on toast was a great breakfast because it contained nuts, and nuts contain lots of good stuff.

zmama
21-09-2011, 07:57:54
Nutella has been around in the US for ages but I think they only started advertising it about 15 years ago

Funko
21-09-2011, 08:13:12
:lol:

mr_B
21-09-2011, 11:20:14
Sandwich Nutella and peanut butter is ACE!!!

MoSe
21-09-2011, 12:48:55
Nutella godawful sweet?????

oh my, I wonder had they sugared it up for the merkin market???
besides, isn't US market famous for its excessively candied and sugared junk food? and they complain about Nutella?????

Of course it's sweet, but its predominant taste is choco[hazel]nutty, wonderfully tongue-wrapping velvet.
It's not a bitter 90% black chocolate tablet after all.

DM, I know it's hard to resist eating it from the jar, but beware you won't be able getting off the habit then.
Pleas DO try to spread it on a not too thin slice of soft white bread at least once, or better experiment with different layer thickness.
Then you can go back to the jar.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085240/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085240/trivia?tr=tr0568931
http://www.federicoferrero.it/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/morettiNutella.jpg

http://www.federicoferrero.it/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/morettiNutella.jpg
you have to check the italian wiki page tho for a more detailed nutritional breakdown
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutella

devilmunchkin
23-09-2011, 19:24:37
Mose, I spread it on a giant chocolate cookie. So milk/white chocolate spread (that I've not seen in the US) on a big, soft chocolate cookie. Can't do that too often.

We have Nutella but I've never tried it.

I think I will have to order Tonks' tray online. She's definitely an indoor cat. She'd get herself killed outdoors. She's not that smart.

devilmunchkin
23-09-2011, 19:26:33
Oh yeah, saw a young guy today that had a hair-do like the lead singer from Flock of Seagulls.

http://withfriendship.com/images/h/35961/A-Flock-of-Seagulls-pic.jpg

The front didn't come down over his eyes as much though.

MDA
23-09-2011, 19:49:51
:lol: Bieberfail

Beta1
23-09-2011, 20:04:00
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12999030

British newsreader in burqa

Provost Harrison
24-09-2011, 10:54:20
Oh yeah, saw a young guy today that had a hair-do like the lead singer from Flock of Seagulls.

http://withfriendship.com/images/h/35961/A-Flock-of-Seagulls-pic.jpg

The front didn't come down over his eyes as much though.

I seem to see quite a lot of people with twatty hairdos like that around the Northern Quarter :lol: