PDA

View Full Version : 13 days!

devilmunchkin
22-08-2011, 23:06:50
Getting closer to my invasion....

I'm so sick of packing. And I wish ninjas would steal all of the crap I don't want to take with me.

Funko
23-08-2011, 07:23:45
Got things all sorted for the cat?

devilmunchkin
23-08-2011, 08:04:06
oh... i see how it is.

:lol:

Getting there. Need to make copies of everything. They will probably have more documentation from me than they want. I've kept everything I've ever gotten on her.

On the 31st we're going to her vet for the general exam and to get the official forms filled out. I'll have to go to another vet to get her tick and worm treatments since we're making a pit stop for 3 days in San Antonio.

In the end, it will cost me more to get her there than me.

Things on her end are still the most worrisome.

Funko
23-08-2011, 08:06:40
Yeah, I was only asking 'cause that sounded like by far the most pain in the arse bit of the whole trip! :)

devilmunchkin
23-08-2011, 10:15:19
Now that I'm at it, packing and trying to get rid of the stuff I'm not taking is also a pain in the ass.

After 1/3 bottle of wine I wonder, why does a company with the title Dr. in it produce pizza? http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=267476471

There is a Tesco about 1 mile west of me and an ASDA 1 mile east of me. Is one better than the other?

I have to get telephone internet. Best company? Or is there only 1?

Which bank is best to be with?

zmama
23-08-2011, 10:25:38
ASDA is Walmart, so MIGHT be cheaper. Tesco's is nice enough too

devilmunchkin
23-08-2011, 10:37:49
oh oh oh!

All of the apartments I viewed (and the one I signed a lease for) have a washer but no dryer. How do people dry laundry when living in apartments? (flats)

devilmunchkin
23-08-2011, 10:38:10
More questions from the ignorant American looking at the Tesco site...

what type of good is a Yorkshire?

What is kidney pudding?

When it says "Kidney pie" does it mean the kidneys of something or does it mean kidney beans? (I hope the latter)

What is a pasty? I always thought they were nipple stickies. APparently there are kinds you can eat?

Who is Aunt Bessie and what is her deal with toads? (frozen food section)

What is "bangers and mash"?

England fails... I could not find Pizza Rolls! (so I'm without Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, Green tea with Peach, Green tea with Blueberry, and now... Pizza Rolls)

What is Cornish Ice Cream like?

What is the difference between a crumpet and an English muffin?

Tizzy
23-08-2011, 10:49:51
Bangers & mash is sausages with mashed potato

Cornish ice cream is nice

Kidney pie is made from an animal's kidneys, not beans, as is kidney pudding. The difference is the casing, pie is covered with pastry and pudding is...actually I'm not sure but it's softer, more the consistency of bread.

A Yorkshire is a Yorkshire pudding - a slightly sweet batter baked and usually served with a roast dinner. If you cook it with sausages in you get toad in the hole (as made by Aunt Bessie)

A crumpet has holes in it and a muffin doesnt. The muffin is more bread like and the crumpet slightly sweeter.

I'd go to Tesco over Asda. They're both at the cheaper end of the supermarket scale so there's probably not much in it price-wise but Tesco is slightly better quality I think.

MOBIUS
23-08-2011, 11:00:26
More questions from the ignorant American looking at the Tesco site...

What is a pasty? I always thought they were nipple stickies. APparently there are kinds you can eat?

Funny, I only just the other day found out the meaning you know! :D

They're big savoury pastries that Cornish miners used to eat and stuffed with beef and potatoes etc. The 'handle' could be left so they could still eat it with dirty hands.

England fails... I could not find Pizza Rolls! (so I'm without Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, Green tea with Peach, Green tea with Blueberry, and now... Pizza Rolls)

There will be a House of Fraser in Manchester and if our one is anything to go by, you will have a whole big section devoted specifically to American foods, candies and drinks. Expensive though.

Why not just immerse yourself in our culture here instead...

Good luck with the move - it must be getting real now! :beer:

Also Tesco > Asda, though I'm more of a Sainsbury's guy myself.

MOBIUS
23-08-2011, 11:04:32
As for banks, Santander is doing a current account where they will give you 100 for joining and 5% interest on your first 2500. There are joining criteria, like having to pay in a certain amount of money each month etc, so I'm not sure how you're going to be financed for your course.

Funko
23-08-2011, 12:55:16
Kidney pie is made from an animal's kidneys, not beans, as is kidney pudding. The difference is the casing, pie is covered with pastry and pudding is...actually I'm not sure but it's softer, more the consistency of bread.

Yeah. Pudding would normally suggest it was steamed, rather than baked and with suet pastry rather than butter pastry. It's not definitive...

I would not suggest buying a frozen kidney pudding. It'll be horrible. Unless it's the kind of thing you've grown up with in which case it might bring back warm memories of childhood (but still be horrible).

If you see it in a decent restaurant or a pub which does good food it could be great though.

Funko
23-08-2011, 13:03:38
What is Cornish Ice Cream like?

Delicious. Richer and creamier than normal icecream.

What is the difference between a crumpet and an English muffin?

Crumpets are quite similar to an American pancake recipe.

English Muffins are closer to a bread recipe, with yeast, but with extra butter.

Funko
23-08-2011, 13:08:35
Also re: Banks

All your normal day to day banking should be free with all banks. This is different to what you would expect in the US. So there should be no monthly or annual charge for your account, no charges for cheques or cash withdrawl or deposits.

Co-op bank always scores really well on satisfaction surveys.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1641411/The-best-and-worst-UK-banks-revealed.html

They also have really good ethical lending principles if that is of interest. The others are all much the same. I'm with HSBC and they seem fine.

devilmunchkin
24-08-2011, 01:38:24
Why not just immerse yourself in our culture here instead...

Good luck with the move - it must be getting real now! :beer:

Also Tesco > Asda, though I'm more of a Sainsbury's guy myself.

Oh, I will. That is one of my main reasons for coming. Still - it doesn't hurt to have some comforts of home.

Also remember - I'd had a glass of wine by that point last night. I'm so lightweight that 1 glass means I'm flat out drunk. Pretty bad huh?

It is feeling very real and very scary. Big move for someone who gets anxious from going outside and being around people. I suppose I chose to pop my comfortable bubble in a big way.

devilmunchkin
24-08-2011, 01:38:45
Will I get to meet some of you?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
24-08-2011, 01:45:22
Sure, so long as you move to Califo... oh wait.

Poison Arrow Frog
24-08-2011, 11:47:30
Hehe... (At the California joke)

Best of luck with the move, DM.

Fistandantilus
24-08-2011, 12:00:52
Delicious. Richer and creamier than normal icecream.

Is it made from corn? :confused:

Cheshire Cat
24-08-2011, 12:27:40
yeah, as well as Cornish Lager and Cornish Pasty

mr_B
24-08-2011, 18:49:47
English muffin, ok that will be your name in 13 days

Poison Arrow Frog
24-08-2011, 21:13:03
yeah, as well as Cornish Lager and Cornish Pasty

http://boakandbailey.com/2009/03/09/skinners-coronaishcornish-lager/

That says Cornish Lager is just a modern attempt to copy bad Mexican beers. Is that correct or is there a real historical Cornish style lager?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
25-08-2011, 07:15:23
I have no idea what pizza rolls are. They look like fried pierogi, is there any difference?

"How do people dry laundry when living in apartments?"

You put them over a drying rack on the balcony or in a well-aired room, or there is a room with clothes lines in the basement or underneath the roof. At least that is the case here in the northern balcans.

Cheshire Cat
25-08-2011, 11:17:56
the most classic solution

http://www.gimi.eu/images/products/104_2.jpg
http://www.gimi.eu/products.php?subcat=62&id=104

my parents still have theirs, installed 60 yrs ago

the principle is that hot air goes up, so you want to hang your clothes near the ceiling;
plus, it saves you space on the ground
of course clothes have to be hanged damp, not soaked. alternatively, you might install the rack over the tub, so you don't have to worry about dripping on the floor or furniture
a hooked baton is required to help you lower each rod with its string and ring you see on the left, and then lift it up again (d'oh!)

moderner implements encase the clothes in a plastic curtain and fan hot air down into it thru the clothes

Dyl Ulenspiegel
27-08-2011, 08:12:37
Nice in principle, but you have to be careful that the bathroom is big enough and sufficiently ventilated.

mr_B
27-08-2011, 08:32:27
GIRLS!!!

Poison Arrow Frog
27-08-2011, 08:34:25
How primitive.

Provost Harrison
27-08-2011, 11:19:58

Only if you're unlucky. And judging by your location, you're within easy stalking...ahem...I mean walking distance ;)

Provost Harrison
27-08-2011, 11:21:04
But seriously, you should myself and *End Is Forever* for a drink at some point. Even pop to my flat...MOBIUS has been there, you can drink some of his Guinness :D

Provost Harrison
27-08-2011, 11:22:36
I have a washer/dryer if I am in a hurry, but usually just dry them on a clotheshorse in my office...doesn't take too long.

Provost Harrison
27-08-2011, 11:23:27
English muffin, ok that will be your name in 13 days

I think there are other meanings that can be taken from that ;)

I think that probably makes me the Yorkshire pudding :p

devilmunchkin
28-08-2011, 08:48:46
the most classic solution

http://www.gimi.eu/images/products/104_2.jpg
http://www.gimi.eu/products.php?subcat=62&id=104

my parents still have theirs, installed 60 yrs ago

the principle is that hot air goes up, so you want to hang your clothes near the ceiling;
plus, it saves you space on the ground
of course clothes have to be hanged damp, not soaked. alternatively, you might install the rack over the tub, so you don't have to worry about dripping on the floor or furniture
a hooked baton is required to help you lower each rod with its string and ring you see on the left, and then lift it up again (d'oh!)

moderner implements encase the clothes in a plastic curtain and fan hot air down into it thru the clothes

But... doesn't one normally do more clothes than that in 1 load? Or are the washing machines smaller in Europe?

and yes, Provost, we all should get together. Maybe we can have a Manchester Poly meet?

I can finally go to a Poly meet!!!! (watch you all not have them anymore)

I don't know if I'm in stalking range. I'm going to be in Victoria Park.

I just realized that for Tuesday/Wedesnday/and early Thursday, I will only have the hall light, bathroom light, kitchen light, and flood light (that happens to be indoors .. for light. None of which are able to light the living room or bedroom. :/

Do you think my new landlord would mind if I bought my own mattress? (the apt comes furnished). I don't want to insult them though by insinuating their matress has cooties.. but... I want a mattress that doesn't have the potential of cooties. Or is England cootie free?

Which reminds me - I'm supposed to have a couple different cootie shots when I get to England. I've not had a vaccination in ages.

How close is the countryside?

Provost Harrison
28-08-2011, 09:19:46
What on Earth do you need vaccinating for to come over here?

Yeah, the countryside isn't too far...you can get out and about. Don't know how easy it is by public transport as I have a car myself.

MDA
29-08-2011, 10:51:25
Mad cow, o/c

Funko
30-08-2011, 09:18:18

We'll struggle to get up to Manchester due to baby but if you can get yourself to Reading/London...

Direct train from Manchester to Reading takes about 3 hours.

Provost Harrison
30-08-2011, 09:56:24
3 bloody hours?!

Funko
30-08-2011, 10:00:47
Yeah? It used to be closer to 4.

MOBIUS
30-08-2011, 10:42:33
I can finally go to a Poly meet!!!! (watch you all not have them anymore)

What's this poly meet I hear talk of? We're far too civilised for those - we do CG meets here... :D

Do you think my new landlord would mind if I bought my own mattress? (the apt comes furnished). I don't want to insult them though by insinuating their matress has cooties.. but... I want a mattress that doesn't have the potential of cooties. Or is England cootie free?

I think you're probably going to be ok TBH. I do get the feeling we don't have the prevalence of 'cooties' over here compared to the US - certainly not high on the list of things to worry about - I don't think I've ever worried about them myself...

Which reminds me - I'm supposed to have a couple different cootie shots when I get to England. I've not had a vaccination in ages.

WTF!? Will you get charged for this service? I think someone might be trying to make a fast buck out of you by overly scaring you.

How close is the countryside?

In the UK it's always close - unless you live in London! :gasmaske:

Provost Harrison
30-08-2011, 11:03:12
OK, well if there are handful of us coming down then I will drive in that case.

devilmunchkin
31-08-2011, 10:31:34
bah.. poly meet, cg meet.. you knew what I meant.

3 hours isn't long enough. I agree that it would be better for the single people to go to you (Funko) than you come here because you have Sophie.

Provost and Mobius: My orientation guide says I should get vaccinated for meningitis C, measles, mumps, and rubella. I can get the vaccinations when I get there.

Maybe I'll just get an amazing egg crate instead of an entire new mattress. Granted, it depends on the size of the mattress. Tonks thinks she needs a ton of space to sleep. In fact, she is asleep on the back of my neck and right shoulder at the moment. Whole naked apartment and she picks an amazingly uncomfortable way (for me) to sleep.

lightblue
31-08-2011, 15:10:54
Don't Americans get the MMR jab as kids? I would have thought so, as I have not heard of massive measles outbreaks and associated deaths. Which means you're probably covered.

Meningitis is probably worthwhile though.

Funko
31-08-2011, 15:17:16
People my age didn't get MMR as standard... I have had all those diseases anyway.

Google suggests it was only starting to come in in the 70s and full 2 dose schedule in the US didn't come in until the 90s.

MOBIUS
31-08-2011, 15:23:58
I've had MMR - I've had them all.

For some reason my mum didn't get the jab for me. Great. I had Mumps and Measles one after the other - basically a month of misery! Thanks mum.:beer:

Oh, I randomly got the Meningitis vaccine from going to Uni - apparently it is quite prevalent in Uni populations - I would recommend that one!

MDA
31-08-2011, 15:31:32
pretty sure I had a single shot MMR vaccine, I think that one was mandatory before you could attend kindergarten

Funko
31-08-2011, 16:33:47
Not universally given in the US, and almost certainly not the 2nd dose unless you got it in the 90s. :)

MDA
31-08-2011, 17:28:56
definitely no second dose, then :lol:

and I lived so far from anything like civilization in the 70's, I could easily have not had MMR and just not remember correctly

May as well throw in a hepatitis shot while you're catching them up, DM.

zmama
31-08-2011, 18:00:36
Tetanus, too. those need boosters every 10 years for adults

Provost Harrison
31-08-2011, 22:44:21
Meningitis or hepatitis C? Unless some horrific new hybrid superbug has been created :eek:

MDA
01-09-2011, 16:50:41
meningitis, C-protein

I had to look it up for the exactly same reason you were confused. :)

Provost Harrison
01-09-2011, 17:15:47
I've been immunised against vitamin C.

Poison Arrow Frog
01-09-2011, 23:04:24
Here you can't go to public school without getting the MMR shot (among others) so just about everyone who grew up in this state has them.

Funko
02-09-2011, 07:37:53
As long as they were born after it was invented, and rolled out.

zmama
02-09-2011, 07:39:08
I didn't need them 'cause I had all the diseases :)

Squirm
02-09-2011, 07:44:00
I had BCG for TB about an hour after I was born.

I've had round one of Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio and Haemophilus influenzae type b (DTaP/IPV/Hib)
and Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV).

I have got round 2 of DTaP/IPV/Hib and Meningitis C (MenC) later TODAY! :cry:

Next month I get round 3 DTaP/IPV/Hib and round 2 PCV and MenC.

Nav
02-09-2011, 10:42:22
I'm sorry you're coming all the way to England and you're going TO MANCHESTER. Sorry, really really sorry.

Hopefully meet you in London soon. Surely next meet is due and Sophie's old enough to go in a pub now. ;)

Provost Harrison
02-09-2011, 14:05:42
I'm sorry you're coming all the way to England and you're going TO MANCHESTER. Sorry, really really sorry.

Hopefully meet you in London soon. Surely next meet is due and Sophie's old enough to go in a pub now. ;)

Oi :tizzy:

Nav
02-09-2011, 14:24:37
Don't worry it could be worse, you could live in Hull.

Funko
02-09-2011, 14:30:31

She's in pubs all the time! :beer:

Greg W
04-09-2011, 22:29:21
I found a lovely video of Manchester! I wonder if this is the place Muffin is renting?

AQxeby39FU4

devilmunchkin
05-09-2011, 04:30:05
. . .

Stranded in Newark, New Jersey until at least Wednesday. Hang up with Tonks. I have all of the paperwork - but my vet forgot to stamp one spot. One spot!

Therefore, they would not allow her on the plane to Manchester.

I have to stay here (not abandoning her) until the mess is solved. In the end, I will shell out another 1K to get this fixed.

There has been a lot of crying. I feel pretty small and weak. And white. My nerves are frayed down to the nubs.

devilmunchkin
05-09-2011, 04:30:59
oh, I'm in a motel/hotel that allows pets. So we are safe. Though I'm in a big strange city that I'm not supposed to be in, in a place that is not meant to be my home... scared.

Funko
05-09-2011, 07:28:56
Damn, that sucks. :(

Best of luck. Can you sue the vet? It's the American thing to do. :beer:

mr_B
05-09-2011, 10:15:17
hang on muffin

Poison Arrow Frog
05-09-2011, 12:52:30
It's just money. Try to enjoy yourself if you can.

Cheshire Cat
05-09-2011, 15:57:15
a big strange city that I'm not supposed to be in, in a place that is not meant to be my home...

see it this way: where can you be safe toghether with your animal-sister?

in the New Ark

no better place!

:)

Lurker
05-09-2011, 16:17:04
Hopefully you can take advantage of the opportunity and spend some time in the city.

Provost Harrison
05-09-2011, 20:38:23
Don't worry it could be worse, you could live in Hull.

Hull is shit, I won't doubt that. I'd never move back there. But I lived in London for many years and, well, it isn't all that.

devilmunchkin
07-09-2011, 01:54:26
London seems too expensive to live in.

Will I need to have my passport on me at all times?

Tonks' new exam went fine. Now all that is left is for the contractor to get the stamp. Then - hopefully - we can be off.

Funko
07-09-2011, 07:28:31
London is insanely expensive, especially for a student. I think you made a good choice and London is close enough to visit.

devilmunchkin
08-09-2011, 07:55:22
well, I'm here. No clue how to find my cat and geez my luggage is heavy.

Got out 50 pounds from a cash machine (no charge)... $80!! damn, I'm going to have to learn not to eat.

Provost Harrison
08-09-2011, 18:30:29
50 doesn't go far nowadays. I remember when it could buy a house. Actually in Hull, it probably still can :lol:

How are you enjoying your new locale? I am currently in Germany myself :D

MOBIUS
08-09-2011, 21:59:40
Glad you made it OK munchkin! :beer:

So, have you recovered from all the German place name puns yet? I thought you were a very good Trier... :D

MDA
09-09-2011, 06:03:15
Someday you'll look back on all of this and only curse bitterly! Good you made it in the end. :beer:

Beta1
09-09-2011, 16:06:06
Will I need to have my passport on me at all times?

Nope - Free country this.

Greg W
10-09-2011, 02:55:13
Glad that you made it safely, Muffin. I hope you're settling in well. :)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-09-2011, 04:13:19
well, I'm here. No clue how to find my cat and geez my luggage is heavy.

As glad I am that you're there safely and all, you really must let on whether you were reunited with your cat.

devilmunchkin
10-09-2011, 11:55:14
I have. She loves our place.

Getting the internet is a bitch. Rented it for a day over wifi. very expensive.

Overnight I came down with a head cold.

First full day here and I broke the key off in one of the locks on the front door. I think one of ther other tenants was happy because now we get a new lock.

Why do cashiers make a big deal out of me signing the back of my debit visa card? Doesn't seem like their true function has caught on yet - you use a pin and not a signature.

MDA
10-09-2011, 20:30:38
Put a message saying to check your ID against the name on the card instead?