PDA

View Full Version : Radio One

MattHiggs
29-11-2001, 11:14:06
Why WHY!?!

This station should be for the promotion of new bands. The ones that travel around clubs. Thw bands that record companies ignore because they don't dance, they don't were plastic clothes and have a hoard of screaming girls following them.

Why should Radio One be competing with commercial stations? 96% of us has access to at least one commercial station, that plays pop tunes over and over again. Radio One don't need to compete they get their money from us... the liscence payer.

They have one of the strongest signals of any station [except Radio 2] and what do they do make another commercial pop station.

I say Radio One should be devoted to playing new music, live bands and new bands 24/7!

Funkodrom
29-11-2001, 11:24:28
Yes, there is too much pressure put onto Radio 1 to get ratings, it's funded by the license fee so it doesn't need ratings to survive. That should give it the freedom to play what it wants.

The other thing is that Radio 1 does play new music... it's just that as soon as R1 plays it it's commercial so where's the balance?

I can't wait for digital radio though!

Snapcase
29-11-2001, 12:32:41
Radio one is occasionally good late at night. Once the ratings preassure is off, it has some good shows going down.

MattHiggs
29-11-2001, 12:56:04
It should be like this 24 hours a day though.

Who wants to listen to NSYNCS new single nearly every hour, or Westlife's latest #1 hit? I cn listen to that on approximately 7 radio stations in my area.. Manchester.

Radio One has the investment to break the barriers of music, isn't it about time they starting putting this investment back into the people?

Resource Consumer
29-11-2001, 13:02:50
I don't disagree with you guys but I am going to play devil's advocate here.

Radio 1 needs ratings to demonstrate that the license fee is being well spent. If it put out stuff that was listened to by one man and his hearing impaired dog then it would be seen to be funding another elitist activity.

Christ, we het enough of that with all the public money that's slopped into opera for the benefit of tone deaf champagne swillers and corporate entertainment.

King_Ghidra
29-11-2001, 13:54:15
i think radio 1 has a lot of good new music
John Peel
Steve Lemacq
Chris Goldfinger
Giles peterson
Westwood
etc. etc.
So it's all on latish at night but what do you expect to hear if you listen to the radio in the daytime? most normal people (not me) *want* to hear all the crap they play, they like it, that's why it's pop(ular) music.
It's a national radio station and their duty is to give the plebs what they want.

Frankly John Peel's programme alone is so good it makes up for many hours of crap on other programmes.

FunkyFingers
29-11-2001, 15:37:53
I haven't managed to listen to Radio 1 for more than about 5 mins withoug screaming in the last 2 years or so. It's awful. Radio2 is more my street these days, they seem to play a lot of decent album music, get proper bands in and they have a lot of ex-Radio1 dee-jays on there now.

The other awful thing about R1 is that they compress the hell out of everything, just to "Make it sound louder". ARGH I hate that :mad:

Radio2 is the new Radio1. It gets more listeners!

MikeH - digital radio is not all that at the moment. There are only 2 channel mutiplexes currently up and running, the Beeb radio channels, and a limited commercial feed. However, it does have the potential, plus the receivers have fallen dramatically in price. The VideoLogic one is only 299 and is very very good. They still compress the Radio1 feed on it though :mad:

Funkodrom
30-11-2001, 10:27:43
Yeah, that's what I meant when I said I can't wait for it... wait for some decent channels on it.

KG has a point, later night R1 stuff is a lot better, much like TV gets better when it's getting to be time to go to bed. I need to be nocturnal.

FunkyFingers
30-11-2001, 11:48:11
Good point, daytime TV is utterly risable, but does get better for a few hours at least. Radio also improves during the evening, but I do find myself listening to R2/3/4 a lot these days. Am I turning old?

King_Ghidra
03-12-2001, 15:04:37
it certainly looks that way :p

i just don't think there's any point complainig that mass market popular culture is crap. Of course it is, that's the whole point.
Most people are stupid and have no taste. 'The public gets the music that the public deserves'

the same applies to government as well but that's going off topic :p

FunkyFingers
03-12-2001, 22:46:50
Just how much crap can we all take though?
:bash:

MattHiggs
04-12-2001, 03:11:59
i just don't think there's any point complainig that mass market popular culture is crap. Of course it is, that's the whole point.

Why should Radio One perform for this popular culture. I doubt most people that pay their liscensing fees want to listen to Boyzone or Westlife... I know most of my mates certainly don't; because 80% of the radio channels in my area are full of this kind of crap anyway. As are most large regions.

Manchester and Liverpool are a big scene for new music, and there is a lot of talent being wasted, talent that I am sure lots of people would depart good money for.

I thought BBC was all about promoting the new bands and new trends, not about keeping non-liscensce-paying 13 years old teeny boppers happy.

I must agree though Westwood et al late at night are very good and I commend the BBC for letting this talent go out.

King_Ghidra
04-12-2001, 09:33:49
if your mates were the target group for radio 1 i'm sure you would be spot on, mattH, but somehow i doubt it. Radio 1 may want to target 'the kids' with the weekend dance stuff and the evening session, etc. but the fact is that the people listening to daytime radio are the white van men, office workers, travelling salesmen, burger flippers, litter pickers, etc, etc, etc. i.e. adults of all ages (i.e. the actual license payers you refer to).

Radio 1 probably devotes more air time to new music than anyone else, but not daytime airtime.

How can you seriously think that most people don't want to listen to westlife or boyzone? Why are their singles and albums always number one then? This stuff may be shit, but you can't deny it's popularity.

The fact is that middle of the road means inoffensive means listenable even if it doens't make you go crazy with excitement. So when it comes on in the office, van, whatever, no one will turn the radio off. It constantly amazes me the shit that people listen to hear at work. But hey, they genuinely like it.

I find it hard to believe that even my own mates take the piss out of what i consider to be great new bands like the strokes, the white stripes, etc. but that just shows how tough it is to put new music on.

One man's talent is another man's shit. Something tells me we would probably agree on what is good music, but unfortunately we are in the minority. Frankly as long as radio 1 is producing john peel, lemacq, westwood, giles peterson, etc. who gives a fuck about the daytime stuff? Radio 1 can't be a no-compromise non-stop new underground music sation, because then none of the bbc national stations would be playing the actual music people are buying and want to hear.

Funkodrom
04-12-2001, 09:47:37
I find it hard to believe that even my own mates take the piss out of what i consider to be great new bands like the strokes, the white stripes, etc. but that just shows how tough it is to put new music on.

That's nothing compared to the piss taking you get for defending UK Garage.

FunkyFingers
04-12-2001, 14:07:23
What's wrong with UK Garage? :D

Funkodrom
04-12-2001, 14:15:17
It's boring.
It's undanceable.
It's passionless and uninspiring.

Funkodrom
04-12-2001, 14:19:51
Speaking of The Strokes and White Stripes, there is a track by The Hives on NME.com today which I like.

Funkodrom
04-12-2001, 14:20:52
Oh and they played the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club new single over one of the football montages on SoccerAM on Saturday and it sounded pretty cool.

FunkyFingers
04-12-2001, 16:42:01
MikeH - 100-Nil :beer:

Funkodrom
04-12-2001, 16:56:10
I know but I couldn't resist that.

Snapcase
04-12-2001, 18:32:24
The Hives have been around for ages in Sweden. They're our best live band (brilliant at Roskilde), and only now are they flung onto this bandwagon. Oh well...

Funkodrom
04-12-2001, 18:40:41
It really is bizarre the diversity of bands people are dragging up for this 'genre'.

Snapcase
04-12-2001, 19:29:46
No worse than most others. Punk, for instance. Compare Television, The Dictators and the Ramones- immensely different music. It'll stabilise after a few years.

MattHiggs
04-12-2001, 19:49:25
It's boring.
It's undanceable.
It's passionless and uninspiring.

Well that's your opinion, no matter how wrong it is! :nervous:

King_Ghidra
05-12-2001, 09:03:04
Originally posted by MikeH
Speaking of The Strokes and White Stripes, there is a track by The Hives on NME.com today which I like.

yeah the hives get plenty of airtime on john peel and a little on lemacq too. *adopts swedish accent* 'i am thinking they are very cool' (apologies to snapcase) :D :lol:

my mate flury loves balck rebel motorcycle club and so do i. Not least for their wicked name :cool:

Snapcase
05-12-2001, 17:25:31
I just reviewed the BRMC album for the student newspaper. Release on the 19th in this country, I believe.

Liquid at home
11-12-2001, 04:37:23
In their defence Radio 1 does play some new music, much more than my nearest alternative - Fox FM :unspeakablehorror:

That isn't to say that I wholy condone it's playlist, quite often I'm listening because of the DJs and in spite of the music. An honourable mention to Chris Moyles and Mark and Lard, who at least take the piss out of some of the shite they have to play.

Funkodrom
11-12-2001, 09:18:13
Originally posted by Snapcase
I just reviewed the BRMC album for the student newspaper. Release on the 19th in this country, I believe.

Did you say it was good?

Snapcase
11-12-2001, 18:22:11
You've read the review. :rolleyes:

Next "great white hope of rock 'n' roll" band that actually consists of dodgy Garage Rock revivalists: The Vue.

Funkodrom
12-12-2001, 09:38:15
Oh yeah. :o

Provost Harrison
21-01-2002, 16:06:15
Matt is right. I used to listen to Radio 1 about 2 or 3 years ago and they did, in the daytime, play decent songs, but that seems to have gone totally out of the window. Funnily enough, their listener numbers have been dwindling as well. Now I quite like the DJ's, they are pretty entertaining. They should allow them to have a much more free reign over the music they play. You can tell how much some of them hate the music they have to play.

Yeah, they do put some decent shows on later on, but the thing is, I want decent radio during the daytime whilst I am in the car or at work. My radio listening died a death from a few years ago, I just put on a CD instead.

King_Ghidra
22-01-2002, 13:47:41
my god i can't believe this thread is back. When will everyone face it - if you don't like hearing britney spears (or whoever) 20 times a day you are in the minority. That includes me, so i don't expect my national radio station to cater for my minority needs during the daytime. I'm happy for what i can hear in the evenings and later, but i'm well aware that by listening to and liking john peel's show (for instance), i am in the minority of the minority.

i don't remember radio 1 playing such good music 2 or 3 years ago in the daytime. The dance/boy band shit that clogs up the charts has been around for a lot longer than that

yes radio 1 doesn't need to compete for listeners to keep itself alive financially, but it has to justify it's existence as an expense of license payers money. If it plays a succession of nobodies and new music all day then the arse will really drop out of the listener figures, and then there won't be a radio 1.

personally i'm prepared to sacrifice the day time shit (when i'm supposed to be *working* after all) and get my kicks with the evening shows.

Funkodrom
22-01-2002, 14:03:41
New music doesn't mean good music anyway.

Radio 1 has played total tosh during the day time for as long as I can remember.

Tizzy
22-01-2002, 14:31:36
The only time I ever listened to Radio 1 was when they had the Rock Show on Sunday nights while I was doing my homework :D

Funkodrom
22-01-2002, 14:41:32
I listen to it every morning. It makes me get out of bed.

MattHiggs
22-01-2002, 15:34:33
'Mark and Lard - The Pioneers of UK Garage'

That always makes me laugh when the soundbite says that.

King_Ghidra
22-01-2002, 16:05:17
yeah, i actually do agree with the point that some ofthe daytime dj's are good, it's just the music they're forced to play.

Mark and lard ahve been hilarious for years. Ah, i remember listening to their late evening show way back in the day...