PDA

View Full Version : Losing Wieght

Japher
31-05-2011, 17:31:38
Recommend me a workout program... I really need to lose weight, I fear I am becoming a Venom.

MDA
31-05-2011, 17:59:10
Eat smart, run more.

Diet changes: dropped soda/pop almost entirely (I don't buy it for home anymore), put away the FryDaddy and replaced the french fries with salad. Stopped going out to lunch twice a week (or more) at the office. Now I go about once a month.

I started running about 10 miles a week (Three 5k to 4 mile runs). Got into decent shape but didn't really lose weight Then decided to run a 10 mile race, and did two 3 or 4 mile runs and then a 6 to 10 mile long run on the weekend. Went from 190 to 170 in about 3 months.

I didn't end up having to buy bigger clothes, and my acid reflux is gone. I can maintain weight now running as little as 6 miles a week, but I have to watch what I eat. I like running more so I can have a few snacks and/or :beer:.

There are other people here that are bigger losers than me, I bet.

Japher
31-05-2011, 18:06:00
I love beer. Is there a beer diet I can do or something. All that running seems quite annoying and time consuming.

MDA
31-05-2011, 18:13:22
Sure. Just make sure to stick to US domestic light beers.

mr_B
31-05-2011, 20:36:25
There are other people here that are bigger losers than me, I bet.

really?

Tizzy
31-05-2011, 20:47:03
The only way is to eat less and move more. Find an exercise you like, otherwise you'll just find excuses not to do it (you'll probably still find excuses some days).

Food wise, I lost weight by calorie counting. Cutting down on alcohol or changing what you drink makes a big difference. A (UK) pint of beer averages about 210 calories, single vodka and diet mixer is about 55. I got through a lot of diet soft drinks (I drink a lot of fizzy drinks anyway and found it impossible to cut them out). Swapping the fries/bread/whatever for salad is a good tip, and have fruit for snacks, or at least some other low calorie option. Also, be honest with yourself about portion size. It's easy to think you've "just" had a bowl of cereal for example but if you've had a 50g bowl when the standard portion size is 30g, the extra soon adds up. It is a pain in the butt to measure everything out but it can help, and you do quickly get to know calorie values and portion sizes.
*shrug* worked for me anyway

Fistandantilus
31-05-2011, 22:36:26
Sounds like there is a lot of willpower required. You're definitely better than me, I would give up after a couple of days :lol:

Tizzy
01-06-2011, 00:02:22
Yep, stock up on willpower too. It's not easy, but also remember one "bad" day where you eat a bit more, or don't exercise doesnt mean the end. Just start again the next day.

MOBIUS
01-06-2011, 08:47:15
Now, if only I could gain willpower, I would be sorted!

Greg W
01-06-2011, 08:56:37
Consider yourself sorted. :p

mr_B
01-06-2011, 09:19:12
ow and take some spelling lessons too

JM^3
01-06-2011, 09:45:45
The calorie counting worked for me too.

As did eating out less.

As did exercising more.

But personally, I feel terrible if I don't exercise at least twice a week.

Some easy, non-calorie counting things you can do (some have already been mentioned):
1. If it is a short distance or something, walk!
2. Don't do soda pop.
3. Decrease alcohol consumption.
4. Replace one dessert or meal with a salad.

I am back up to my usual weight unfortunately (which is still much better then my heavy weight, especially since I have muscle now). But I eat out once a day... so expected.

JM

Cheshire Cat
01-06-2011, 11:00:19
it's all down to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/Feedback_loop_with_descriptions.svg/500px-Feedback_loop_with_descriptions.svg.png

see Retroaction and Feedback Loop

The output of the system y(t) is fed back through a sensor measurement F to the reference value r(t). The controller C then takes the error e (difference) between the reference and the output to change the inputs u to the system under control P.

in body weight, you actually have a 2-inputs system

or rather, your system input is = to you Energy Balance, which is obtained from 2 input variables

Energy Balance = Energy Input (what you eat) - Energy Output (what you burn)

if you don't want to exaclty measure energy (calories) just control the System Output, i.e. your weight

EB>0 => weight increase
EB<0 => weight loss

take your new weight, feed it back and compare it to your previous weight
if it's not decreasing (or worse, it's increasing) your CONTROLLER (i.e. your decision making ability) will tell the Actuators (i.e. your willpower) to adjust System Input (REDUCE EB).
That can be obtained by reducing Energy Input, or by increasing Energy Output, or even better by combining the two.

your weight trend is not what you expected?
- reduce just a litte bit the quantities of everything you eat (if you don't want/need to focus on the quality, controlling the quantities will do: 10% less snacks and sodas [along with 10% less everything else] = 10% less calories)
- increase just a little bit your movement and workout efforts
- check the results on your weight (feedback loop)
if still not what expected, repeat (i.e. reduce input a little more, increase output a little more)
till you strike the desired weight loss ratio along with a sustainable lifestyle and effort

no magic bullet
:D

MOBIUS
01-06-2011, 11:23:13
That looks too complicated - summary please. :drekkus:

MDA
01-06-2011, 11:35:06
The only way is to eat less and move more.
*shrug* worked for me anyway

Summarized. :p

zmama
01-06-2011, 11:37:22
What Tizzy said

Venom
01-06-2011, 16:04:06
high protein, low fat, eat 5 times a day, exercise of your choice just make sure to vary the exercise so you're not always doing the same thing

Lurker
01-06-2011, 19:21:36
Hey Jon, are you still overseas?

zmama
01-06-2011, 19:37:00
Jon är en svensk nu!

MDA
02-06-2011, 00:19:44
nukker!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
02-06-2011, 02:34:09
That looks too complicated - summary please. :drekkus:

Amputation.

Greg W
02-06-2011, 06:24:48
Liposuction.

JM^3
02-06-2011, 10:42:08
Hey Jon, are you still overseas?

Yeah.

At least through this summer. And I need to finish my project before I finish this position, so am likely not going to be taking my full vacation either.

I haven't yet found my next position yet, I went far in an interview for a long term scientist position but didn't make the final cut.

JM

protein
03-06-2011, 10:45:01
Cut out alcohol and carbs for a week to kickstart your fat burning. Then gradually introduce them back while eating sensibly.

I've lost 45lbs in a year and a half and 70lbs over the last 5 years. I've experimented with loads of different ways to do it and unfortunately for me recommended sensible eating and exercise doesn't do all that much for me. I've had best results from eating fuck all. Like some ham and cabbage if I'm starving but nothing else. Anaerobic exercise does actually help along with aerobic.

Everyone is different though. The thing that works for me is frowned upon and often lied about by Internet 'experts'. You'll read that if you hardly eat you'll put on weight. Which is ridiculous. It's obvious what not eating does because anorexics are the experts at losing weight!

JM^3
03-06-2011, 11:19:44
I know people who don't eat and put on weight.

The issue is that not eating can kill your metabolism. Then how many calories you burn drops way down.

JM

Provost Harrison
03-06-2011, 21:04:53
Cut out alcohol and carbs for a week to kickstart your fat burning. Then gradually introduce them back while eating sensibly.

I've lost 45lbs in a year and a half and 70lbs over the last 5 years. I've experimented with loads of different ways to do it and unfortunately for me recommended sensible eating and exercise doesn't do all that much for me. I've had best results from eating fuck all. Like some ham and cabbage if I'm starving but nothing else. Anaerobic exercise does actually help along with aerobic.

Everyone is different though. The thing that works for me is frowned upon and often lied about by Internet 'experts'. You'll read that if you hardly eat you'll put on weight. Which is ridiculous. It's obvious what not eating does because anorexics are the experts at losing weight!

I know the feeling. The battle with my metabolism is a constant fight...if I exercise and eat little I plateau, if I exercise and eat like a fat bastard, I still plateau at the same point. So it means I have to push against that barrier very hard...eat next to nothing and do more exercise...but I do like food so this seems to be hard...but currently I am doing a lot of swimming and my weight seems to be decreasing quite dramatically.

Provost Harrison
03-06-2011, 21:09:33
I have my target on losing another 10kg at the most...although I think even losing that much will be tough at my current weight and build.

MDA
03-06-2011, 22:24:42
Swimming is fantastic, I miss Lake Erie.

Greg W
04-06-2011, 02:45:43
Eating 5 or 6 smallish meals a day is also a great way to help out your metabolism. Cos that way, your body is constantly working at digesting food and thus expending energy all day, rather than just digesting one big meal then having to wait 6 hours for the next one.

So I have been told, anyway.

Japher
04-06-2011, 15:34:04
My 5 smallish meals tend to turn into 5 normal sized meals...:(

I bought salad and salami at the grocery store to have for lunch all week, as I find that is my most calorie high meal of the day... I had the salad once all week. Business lunches took me to Mexican one day and Chinese another... no real lite option there.

Thanks for the advice. I'm surprised at how serious this thread was taken.

Funko
04-06-2011, 15:44:40
No problem Fatso.

mr_B
04-06-2011, 17:43:06
do take those spelling classes tho

Fistandantilus
04-06-2011, 20:44:14
It's dutch :rolleyes:

mr_B
05-06-2011, 00:58:41
nietes

Oerdin
05-06-2011, 06:06:10
Someone needs to invent the all beer diet.

zmama
05-06-2011, 09:05:22
In the mother tongue it would be gewicht!

jsorense
05-06-2011, 18:12:47
My mother would never say such a thing. :o

zmama
05-06-2011, 18:52:00
and she would spell it right!