View Full Version : Skyrim

maroule
24-02-2011, 17:27:52
made me wet my paints in anticipation
still a long way to go though

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/02/24/skyrim-gameplay-trailer?show=HD

Venom
24-02-2011, 17:52:55
It does sound mighty impressive at this point. Though I've never been much of a fan of the elder scrolls universe.

MDA
24-02-2011, 17:58:45
:beer: I even played Arena.

Ellipsis
24-02-2011, 23:46:21
I loved Daggerfall and liked Morrowind. Oblivion, though, was craptastic. I hear there's no level scaling in Skyrim, which already is an improvement on Oblivious. I'm cautiously looking forward to it.

Greg W
25-02-2011, 01:19:00
Daggerfall was great. Except for the random dungeons where the automap was completely useless and it was way too easy to get lost. :bash:

Morrowind was a little brown and green for my liking. Call me strange (I am), but that killed a lot of it for me. I vaguely recall that it had no level scaling though, which was good.

Oblivion was ok, except I didn't like the concept of the main plot. Or at least how it was implemented. Thought the visuals were great, though it did show that visuals do not a good game make. And the level scaling made it a pain in the arse.

For this one, I am not letting pretty visuals fool me. Though I will likely pre-order. :o

maroule
25-02-2011, 07:55:15
Oblivion was ok, especially considering there are very few decent rpg on the xbox
on the pc I can understand it compared poorly

Ellipsis
27-02-2011, 23:26:32
Maybe I see Daggerfall through rose-tinted glasses for some reason... It had a lot wrong with it and it was buggy, but I found it very charming and atmospheric.

With Morrowind I liked the aesthetics, but I can see why you wouldn't.

Level scaling in Oblivion made it pointless to improve your level and even to collect better loot. Everything felt generic and dumbed down.

Ellipsis
27-02-2011, 23:35:32
Which isn't to say I don't like some dumb games. I just want to play some old school type games as well.

maroule
28-02-2011, 11:04:16
yes, I see what you're saying, but Oblivion was for me the first contact with this franchise, so my expectations were low + I loved how big and free it was, I was used to play Baldur's kind of RPG where you can't roam and pretty much do what ever you want

MDA
28-02-2011, 12:11:14
I had a lot more fun with Oblivion about a year from release, after players modded the living daylights out of it. Character leveling was changed and scaling was much less noticeable, there were areas you could wander into and get squashed immediately.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul was the core bit of it, I think it's been mentioned here before.

Daggerfall had some craptacular bugs, but I loved it all the same.

Fistandantilus
28-02-2011, 14:22:07
Modded Oblivion is way better than vanilla, I agree.

But what really made Morrowind my favourite one of the series was the athmosphere. The Ghostfence, the three great houses and their politics and very different agendas, the imperial cult vs the Tribunal, the pigrimage, the ancient and mysterious dwarven ruins and so on.

It really felt a great shaped and detailed world and in comparison Oblivion seemed like the boring seen a thousand times fantasy medieval landscape.

Or maybe I just like mages carving their towers into giant mushrooms :lol:

Anyway Bethesda didn't disappoint me yet, highs and lows but I pretty much enjoyed all Elder scrolls titles (haven't played arena tho).

MDA
24-03-2011, 11:20:36
The mage towers were very smurfy.

I reloaded this (Oblivion, I mean) onto my laptop this week, with mods. Still fun, glacially paced (I think that can be adjusted), but I'm not in a hurry.

MOBIUS
24-03-2011, 22:43:50
Skyrim = sounds vaguely gay if you ask me.

Greg W
24-03-2011, 23:15:27
Skyrim = sounds vaguely gay if you ask me.Especially if you're asked to do jobs for the inhabitants. :nervous:

Venom
24-03-2011, 23:30:58
X-FEAR!
:shoot:

Greg W
25-03-2011, 01:15:44
I must be losing my marbles (what few of them I had left). I don't even remember quoting that. :clueless:

maroule
25-03-2011, 08:50:40
Skyrim = sounds vaguely gay if you ask me.

why would we ask you?

MOBIUS
25-03-2011, 09:08:50
You wouldn't. That's why I'm telling you.

maroule
25-03-2011, 10:19:20
thanks for volunterring

anyway, you're mistaken. We see from the trailer a half naked, half covered in fur, very muscular man and his huge axe, nothing could be less gay.

MOBIUS
25-03-2011, 11:43:15
Sounds like a bear to me.

MDA
25-03-2011, 12:33:32
Well, it's knut.

Venom
25-03-2011, 12:54:58
Too soon!

MDA
01-04-2011, 12:57:21
:lol:

Skyrim Canceled! — April 1, 2011

Bethesda executive producer Todd Howard dropped a bomb on the gaming community today when he announced that the widely-awaited sequel to Oblivion, Skyrim, was "indefinitely delayed". He claimed that although there had been some positive feedback about the game, the general feeling was negative and that the team needed to re-evaluate the reaction from the fanbase.

"We've read all the forum comments and realized that we don't have any idea what we're supposed to be doing", said Howard. "We need to look at the whole project from fresh."

Howard's comments were reiterated by VP Pete Hines: "We've missed the target on this one. We should have got the community involved earlier. I think we all realise, from feedback we've received so far, that we are all indeed 'lame' and it's certainly true that none of us have girlfriends."

Further comments from Howard suggested that there were deeper problems in the game. "We had to accept that we couldn't do that "Radiant Story" thing - it was too confusing, messed up the game world, and made us realize that we had to delay the game for another year, just to make it work"

The last word goes to Pete Hines: "We would like to thank to Game Informer Magazine for covering the story in-depth, but right now we have to sit back and think."
Nobody at Bethesda was prepared to give a revised date for release. From your roving reported, Polar Foil.

Funko
01-04-2011, 13:06:11

Fistandantilus
09-06-2011, 16:36:54
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/06/08/e3-2011-ign-live-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim?objectid=93394

It still looks awesome at E3. There are longer gameplay video than this one around btw.

MDA
29-09-2011, 11:11:47
Out November 11, I'm cautiously optimistic (usually am, so that says nothing).

They dumped Mysticism and supposedly moved the spells to other trees. A couple of other skills have also been combined, but now they've added perk "trees" within skills. Could be cool.

I like the way they worked the weapon/spell/shield options so that you can wield a sword and shield, sword and spell, two hand weapon, two hand (more powerful) spell, etc. I do wonder if that leaves our staff wielding wizards empty handed.

Fistandantilus
29-09-2011, 11:41:26
Yeah but I did preorder it awhile ago so it's going to suck I'm sorry :(

MDA
29-09-2011, 13:33:11
jinx!

Venom
29-09-2011, 17:49:33
Pre-orders are evil

MDA
29-09-2011, 18:25:42
Now that I'm all grown up and have a real job, I don't get as enraged when the game sucks.

Two of those things are actually true.

Greg W
02-10-2011, 01:49:56
Well, you're still here so you can't possibly have grown up...

paiktis
10-10-2011, 07:18:46
touche!

Oblivion was great i think in technology aspects, great scenery, good gameplay etc but was to... blunt... dont know what else to say.

anyway my faith in rpg has evaporated after bioware released that pokemon dragon age 2. hopefully they took a hint and will try to make something that resembles their older masterpieces.

Greg W
10-10-2011, 08:01:51
Oblivion I think was a little bland (is that the word you meant?)...

maroule
12-10-2011, 15:30:22
a bit bland at times (like the faces of the people you taled to), but still pretty amazing in terms of scope

I also liked the natural levelling system

I'm pretty excited with Skyrim, and also pre-ordered it

Paiktis, Berthesda (fallout) is doing Skyrim, not Bioware, so no risk of pokemon baldur...
and I'm not blaming bioware too hard because I though mass effect 2, even if not a rpg proper but a bastard child with a cover shooter, was really splendid.

paiktis
12-10-2011, 16:53:57
I meant bland yes!
Maroule I know it's not bioware that makes skyrim but I was talking generally about the rpg genre which for me is tied to bioware (baldur II being the best rpg ever imo).

Apres dragon age 2 i kind of lost my faith in them because everyone was saying don't go that road it will suck, and they went anyway and imo it did suck!

haven't played mass effect 2. maybe it would be redemption (even though it was an earlier realease than dragon age 2)

Fistandantilus
13-10-2011, 07:50:56
Mass Effect 2 is very good but is a step in the direction you don't like paiktis :p

maroule
13-10-2011, 11:24:26
indeed
just don't consider it an RPG, and you'll love it
think of it as a space opera movie you can play (by mildly customising your character progression)

Venom
13-10-2011, 14:41:13
For some reason, RPGs built around guns and shooting, like Mass Effect, can withstand more pokemoning and actionification. Whereas your medieval, sword and sorcery fantasy RPGs tend to look and play like a spazz's wet dream when companies try to make them "awesome". To quote bioware on Dragon Age 2.

maroule
13-10-2011, 15:52:44
hum, sounds about right

MDA
31-10-2011, 18:06:19
They're dumping attributes and keeping skills (with perk trees, presumably like in Dragon Age, although that had attributes as well). Not sure how to feel about that. I've had six major attributes as part of most of my games since the 80's.

Greg W
02-11-2011, 07:31:23
STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA FTW!

MDA
11-11-2011, 14:41:39
OK, spoiler free: played through the intro scenes and trotted down to the nearest town. All I can really say at this point is that the interface, on PC, is irritating. One example, I feel like I'm zoomed in way too close on the skill trees (too much bling and not enough informative).

Shop menu actually had a tutorial popup message, urgh.

Venom
11-11-2011, 17:22:56
Disappointing to hear as that would be the platform I would want to play on. I'm going to go out on a not very big limb and say it was developed for consoles. Like just about every multi-platform game these days.

Fistandantilus
11-11-2011, 17:37:33
Can you actually dual wield spells using a mouse? Am I missing something?

Greg W
12-11-2011, 03:08:53
I am enjoying it so far, after doing the intro, getting to the first town and then going to check out the local barrow (that was mentioned in the intro).

Some of the interface does seem a little clunky at times, I'll give you that, but I don't spend a lot of time in there, so no big deal. I do like the perks though, they're something different. Crafting is kinda... take it or leave it... but again I don't plan to spend much time on it. So far every person I have spoken to has actually spoken back to me (as opposed to just flashing text up on a screen), which is cool.

I like the atmosphere though, it feels much more flavourful and real than the rather bland Oblivion.

maroule
14-11-2011, 10:33:33
- played about 10 hours over the last 3 days, and enjoying it
- it certainly works well on a console, the 2 hands action is obvioulsy very intuitive with the two triggers (I use two spells, one on each hand, one flame and one cold, I'm like an improbable son of a flamethrower and a fire extinguiser)... taking out opponents has a visceral effect about it that I find very enjoyable...
- some fantastic scenery, walking around is truly enjoyable (even if there always seems to be a wolf biting my arse when I don't pay attention)
- the craft system is great, love it... walking around with 100kg of crafting ingredients though is not cool...
- friendly AI is a bit idiotic
- some great secondary quests, morally ambiguious, i.e. accepting some quest with the best intentions still lead you to cause evil...
- levelling system is very slow, I'm at level 7 right now and still feel very underdevelopped... which is good, a slow learning curve means still plenty to play for...
- I find myself wanting to become an expert at everything at once, a good sign that all the ways to develop your character are fun

Greg W
14-11-2011, 12:34:31
I'm level 10 and my skills are barely reaching the 40s, and then only really in one hand slashing. The rest are in the 30s at most. Getting more into the crafting system and have made myself Dwarven armour and sword. Have killed my first Dragon, and what I believe is a respawn of that same Dragon. OMG, carrying around Dragon scales and bones sucks big time! Am just wandering off to join the Imperial Legion so that I can get somewhere to store all this heavy junk.

Without giving any hints away, I am enjoying the moral ambiguity of the Empire v Stormcloaks though, esp as I am playing a Nord. I'm going the Empire, though I could easily see myself joining the Stormcloaks in another game.

MDA
14-11-2011, 12:57:29
Cons: texture loading bugs?, some CTDs, inexcusablly awful UI
Pros: I put in over 20 hours playing this weekend. I stayed up too late last night. That's a pro, right? :nervous:

I agree with pretty much everything maroule said, but can't comment on the console controller. Right and left hands are for me left and right mouse button, respectively.

Mild spoilers may follow, most of it I cut out on the fly.

crafting is great

I bought a house to store all my crafting materials in. I killed thr33!! dragons and the bones and scales were getting way too heavy to carry. I'm obsessed, so I don't want to sell that stuff. Then I had to furnish every room in the house, right? Hell yes. Carl stays at the house and guards my stuff. She probably hates being called Carl as much as she hates being left behind, but her AI will put her between my axe and the enemy more often than is healthy for her. Carl was a gift for... no spoilers.

The Falmer seem like an entire race of Gollums and they're tough but not impossible to kill. The centipedish things that hang out with them are absolute murder (and gorgeously ugly).

Found my first dwemer ruin last night, outwardly because I was helping... someone... find her lost sword; but secretly because I wanted a source of metal I could use to raise my crafting.

I'm sometimes getting a lot of untextured stuff when I load new outdoor zones. Dead bears look like blue gummi bears :lol:. Trees seem to be most often affected, sometimes armors, locks, doorframes. Things are, in "normal" circumstances, very good looking.

The menus have gone from irritating to something I actively avoid using. Its getting to the point where I avoid switching weapons. "Favorites" menu helps, but it's still a ported UI that hasn't seen any substantial optimization effort. There are shortcut key selections in some menus. Maybe they slapped a better font on it, maybe not. Hopefully there will be a Skyrim equivalent BTmod or DarnifiedUI soon.

Pretty sure the general store owner in Whiterun is the same guy that did David Sarif in the new Deus Ex. I keep expecting him to call me "son".

Random (but infrequent) crashes to desktop, too. I think Fallout3 did that to me when it first came out, but stopped after the first patch, hmm. Quicksave is my friend, and there are autosaves.

Traps: useful! leave them unpopped and use them against the <centipede, bandit chiefs, generic extra tough badguy>. Puddles of oil are extra fun.

Crafting, crafting, crafting. Finished the weekend with my first set of orcish armor and got to break it in in that dwemer ruin. I can't say I wasn't warned about a giant robot, but... no spoilers, but ow. Sword recovered, debated picking it up, because it meant dropping a lot of scrap. Guess I can come back for more scrap. All the mechanical bits lying around can be smelted and used for crafting. Totally worth a second or third trip. Now to find a source of ebony and start stocking up for the next armor set.

zmama
14-11-2011, 18:18:56
k-DNBXvwgho

MDA
14-11-2011, 18:33:13
Is it not awful that I'm an axe-wielding Nord named Hew?

harr harr harr

zmama
14-11-2011, 20:12:37
yes is awful :D :D

Fistandantilus
14-11-2011, 20:43:54
I went with my heart and my heart was don't go with the soldiers whos gonna cut my head off :lol:

MDA
15-11-2011, 16:42:44
Edit: I didn't run into anybody!

Fistandantilus
15-11-2011, 17:03:59
Stop spoilering :mad:

MDA
17-11-2011, 11:57:44
CTDs have been much, much worse the last two nights. It's common when I fast travel to Whiterun to sell/stash stuff. No error message or anything, it just drops to desktop like I was never playing at all. I can travel to a farm just outside the city, and run in the gates and don't have a problem. Once an afternoon or evening wasn't an issue for me, but now I'm irritated.

Greg W
17-11-2011, 12:18:21
Haven't had a single CTD yet, thank god. Also haven't played it in the last 3 nights... :(

Fistandantilus
17-11-2011, 17:30:49
I haven't had a ctd either, and i'm just over the 33hrs played mark which seems too much :eek:

MDA
17-11-2011, 19:31:27
Well then, I'm going to go ahead and blame Vista and myself. I built a Son of Darkstar machine.

Had a side quest I picked up while simply exploring... where I found a note someone had left, that got me wondering "What if I go *here* and do *this*?" and sure enough, there was a small hidden reward and a small but permanent buff associated with it. The side quest was already complete and off the list by that time, it was a separate thing, essentially for paying attention and thinking.

I also got caught in a great outdoor ambush and killed, but I won't tell that story so you can enjoy getting pasted too. There was confusion, misdirection, and then the other shoe dropped, right on my face. :p It won't work twice, but it was awesome.

Lots of little moments like that that keep me going.

paiktis
17-11-2011, 20:43:33
My PC doenst handle it too well :(
It's getting old :(

But it is a great game, although destruction school seems to be screwed. Damage doesnt get scaled to your level.
This is a kind of a game that you would buy the latest tech, very big monitor and surround sound and turn resolution to the max (and social life to non existant - I'll stick to medium specs)
btw not a single crash but lots of stopping and loading (probably because of the 2 gigabytes of memory?)
dragon battles are great, it's like a sport, hunting or something. Very well choreographed.
oh and a funny thing (except being hurled to stratosphere by club yielding giants) was that i missed some money to get the house?

so i get outside to the city (forget the name) and a soldier drops down from the sky! i loot him, sell the items and was closer to buying the house.
probably a dragon was flying high above and he threw him on the city. the only downside is that there's now this naked soldier with his underwear inside a fountain in the middle of the city, i hope not permanently, although it's still funny

Fistandantilus
17-11-2011, 23:52:34
Yeah there are a lot of little things to discover. I'm playing it with no fast travel and I'm enjoying the exploration parts a lot.

Destruction is a bit of let down I agree I'm playing mage/rogue and the other magic schools are much better imo. Btw, it's just me or alchemy may not be as broken as in Morrowind but it's insanely powerful nevertheless? :o

P.S.
My dunmer found a lil girl who wanted to play hide and seek in Whiterun and I said why not? But then I was in hunter-seeker mode and when I found her sneaked to her back and I had to fight really hard with myself not to backstab the lil innocent kid into oblivion. I feel I'm getting too evil :(

paiktis
18-11-2011, 01:48:30
i once murdered a chicken and had the whole village trying to kill me, so i can imagine what would happen if you succumbed to the dark side !

speaking of glitches btw lydia, for some reason, was following me lying on her back with her legs open. like she was down on the floor but was going after me like being tied to an invisible rope.

that was darn funny and it sorted itself out after i entered a new location and the game went to loading screen.
i think that glitch happened 'cause i was running through a village of giants and then jumped a hill to escape them and lydia stayed back.

maroule
18-11-2011, 10:48:59
I had one CTD in about 40 hours (but on xbox, so crash to nowhere, really)

destruction is still pretty good at least at level 12, where I am; do dual casting of the adept spells (fire is my favorite, electricty against mages cause it depletes magicka), with the right perk you knock most of the opponents off... only problem is that you have to aim well (opponents move!) and your companions sometimes gets in the way and takes it in the back... I had a visceral pleasure in blowing a fire ball (fire lance?) in a bandit face and seeing him fly in the air (we were fighting on a narrow bridge, high up)

Venom
18-11-2011, 13:06:00
You always get pleasure blowing guys.

MDA
18-11-2011, 13:11:36
The problem people are having is that destruction will do the same damage at level 40 as it does at 12, damage for a spell is static and won't increase with increasing skill. You can buy master level spells, but the damage doesn't compare to a similarly skilled swordsman.

Simplest solution is to use the difficulty slider if things get too tough and you want to continue with a destruction focused character. The alternative is to complain incessantly on the company forums about the game being unfair and unbalanced. :p

Four straight CTDs last night after loading a game and entering any new area. Got mad and quit, will have to see about using an earlier save next time.

maroule
18-11-2011, 13:33:58
You always get pleasure blowing guys.

if you says so... who am I to argue with the matter expert...

on destruction, then yes I see the problem, and it would be disapointing. I'm surprised though; with perks (augmented flames; +50%) a firestorm makes 225 damages (at least it should, otherwise just 150, which is not shabby), and wall of flame 75 dmg per second (or 50, again, if augmented flames does not apply, which I don't know). And that's just for the initial attack, to soften up the target... after that, you can chain the incinerates, at 90 dmg a stroke, it looks solid too... it's not surprising that the initial spells don't level up, otherwise you'd only need the initial flames all along (pretty boring after 50 levels I suspect)

so it's not insignificant, at least seen from the lowly level I'm inhabiting... whats your point of comparison? how much damage does a high skilled swordsman does?

Fistandantilus
18-11-2011, 14:38:36
I have no hard numbers atm but my pg has spent the same number of perks in destruction and 1hd weapons and is about the same level in both (i'm 30ish level).

Problem is when I encounter a tough opponent I find it way easier to hack n slash him to death with a sword rather than use destruction magic.

Impact is a hell of a perk and stupidly powerful but there is not much in the destruction tree that helps against bosses and high level foes.

Weapons can be improved with smithing, enchanting and alchemy, spells fall short. That said destruction is still fun and I love it so I'm not complaining much :D

MDA
18-11-2011, 14:50:11
I've read a skilled melee fighter with a good weapon and enchants does about 400 per swing at high levels. The thing people often don't consider is that it's against one opponent, and you have to get close to hit them. Destruction lets you rain down pain from a distance and hit multiple targets.

maroule
18-11-2011, 16:17:28
400!? that's insane
my sword does 12 dmg per swing :nervous:

MDA
18-11-2011, 18:56:54
I think that included weapon skill, enchanting, and smithing bonuses, but yeah, pretty strong stuff.

Fistandantilus
19-11-2011, 08:35:52
I've read a skilled melee fighter with a good weapon and enchants does about 400 per swing at high levels. The thing people often don't consider is that it's against one opponent, and you have to get close to hit them. Destruction lets you rain down pain from a distance and hit multiple targets.

For crowd control you just need Illusion or Conjuration. Try it :p

Greg W
20-11-2011, 21:55:24
Well, finally getting those CTDs and quite a few of them. Still finding Ice Trolls tough, even at lvl 14, playing basically as a straight out Warrior. Throw in a couple of firebolts to soften him up and then rely on a few good power blows.

The one thing that seems missing to me is the lack of romance in the game. I kinda expecting it I think after recent games. I did read the Wiki and there is something available, but after a quick read it sounds rather bland to me.

Managed to enchant a sword with Soul Steal, which is great. Though I must remember to grab a second non sol stealing sword so I can pick and choose when to steal one ant not. It is a great way to fill all those Petty Soul gems you find though. :D

maroule
21-11-2011, 10:25:59
yeah, love that too
I enchanted a dweemer sword with sould trap, and renamed it "Stormbringer"...

I could spend most of my playing time forging and enchanting stuff... the questing is really only there to get the ingredients... I'm going to end up as level 70 shopkeeper...

MDA
21-11-2011, 12:15:09
I can work ebony now! My axe can split other axes.

People complain about the game being too easy if you craft and enchant your stuff, and I couldn't care less. Too much fun.

Mitigated most of my CTDs by never, ever fast traveling to or from a busy area (like Whiterun). I can walk out the gate and travel fine most of the time, and there's been no issue with traveling to Whiterun stable and walking in through the city gate. Very strange.

Haven't done anything with the main quest past climbing the mountain stairs to learn shouts from the old fellas up there.

Fistandantilus
21-11-2011, 13:19:48
Oh, so maybe I'm not getting CTDs cause I don't fast travel except for carriages?

maroule
21-11-2011, 13:42:26
"People complain about the game being too easy if you craft and enchant your stuff, and I couldn't care less. Too much fun."

my feelings exactly
if they want hard, they can play dark souls

that said, I do find dragons (up to now) a bit easy. I killed 4 without too much trouble. However, some undead dude in the crimson (or red) sword quest kicked my butt 5 times in a row, and I only managed to beat him in the end because I runned around the room screaming like a little girl, and gulping 59 potions

MDA
21-11-2011, 14:48:22
Oh, so maybe I'm not getting CTDs cause I don't fast travel except for carriages?

I think there's something system specific involved as well, I still got dumped out a few times over the weekend.

Funko
21-11-2011, 15:08:12
IF you hadn't played Elder Scrolls I-IV would this still make sense?

Fistandantilus
21-11-2011, 16:20:00
There are literally hundreds of books in game you can read to pick up with the lore thing. Just find a library and start reading :lol:

MDA
21-11-2011, 16:59:22
I still get sidetracked reading books. :nervous:

Funko
21-11-2011, 17:04:25
There are literally hundreds of books in game you can read to pick up with the lore thing. Just find a library and start reading :lol:

God, that sounds like hard work.

MDA
21-11-2011, 17:07:46
not with attractive titles like "The Lusty Argonian Maid"

Funko
21-11-2011, 17:14:30
I change the question. If you hadn't played Elder Scrolls I-IV and thing reading the books is too much effort would this still make sense?

I think I probably just don't have enough time to invest in this game to make it worthwhile.

MDA
21-11-2011, 17:52:12
There are also a lot of voice acted conversations, you might get as much story as you need from those. They did jump forward a couple of hundred years, so now they're somewhat removed from the previous games. That might make things easier.

Then again, I've done so little of the main storyline I'm not sure I'm in a position to judge how well it stands on its own.

Post Oblivion, extra short summary:

In that couple of hundred years time, most of the imperial provinces had revolts or revolution, most importantly the high elves, which trounced the imperials and pretty much have them Vichy-fied. They're control freaks with delusions (maybe delusions) of godhood. Dragons returned to Skyrim (home province of the Nords, and some displaced and disgruntled aboriginal people). Dragons are bad, mysterious, and haven't been seen in forever (except the single one at the end of Oblivion). The main story seems to involve you and the wicked bad evil dragons, but there is also a loyalist v. separatist rebellion ongoing in Skyrim.

Greg W
21-11-2011, 21:52:38
Other than background fluff, I don't think it'd make a heck of a lot of difference whether you'd played the previous games. I only really find them linked in the vaguest kinda way as they're all set in different provinces of the Empire and there doesn't seem to be one massive on-going storyline that I have seen. And they're all made as games where you only have to follow the main storyline as much as you want. You're free to ignore it as much as you wish and just head off and kick butt, or become a crafter, or just do all the little side quests in towns along the way, or whatever. It's a very sandboxy type of game.

The funny thing is that I didn't even pick up most of the stuff that MDA mentioned about the rest of the provinces revolting. :cute:

I do find healing potions a bit unbalancing (on the PC at least) as you can just pause the game mid sword swing, quaff as many healing potions as you want, then go back to the game at full health.

Funko
22-11-2011, 08:35:49
More fun than dying all the time!

maroule
22-11-2011, 13:20:42
about dying, yesterday I had to fight a giant....

with one single swing of his club, he sent me flying about 50 meters in the air. Litteraly 50 meters, I could see the whole countryside before the screen faded to black. I tried 4 times to take him down, and flew 4 times. Curiously, I flew directly upwards, shooting up like a rocket. I think I should have flown more like a golf ball, with a 1 wood on a par 5.

Funko
22-11-2011, 13:49:46

MDA
22-11-2011, 14:07:38
See, how is that not fun? :lol:

I've been giving them a wide berth.

found a dead mudcrab yesterday, or a perfect sculpture of one, it was bigger than a cave bear in a tiny pond alongside the road and I couldn't loot it or interact in any way

Greg W
23-11-2011, 01:13:05
I have also been giving them a very wide Berth. I think the only way I could see to defeat them (as a warrior with very little magic) would be to kill them from a distance or use shouts/power attacks to stop them clubbing you like that. Or see if you could time your attacks between theirs. Mind you, Ice Trolls still give me problems, so maybe I should just stick clear of Giants.

That does sound fun though. :lol:

Fistandantilus
23-11-2011, 09:11:24
The good thing about giants is they are so big you don't find them in dungeons where you do not have space to run away :p

maroule
28-11-2011, 09:10:38
95 forge... I'm close to the dragon aromrs... youhou!
now have to boost my enchantment skills... I buy all the "insignificant" gem stones I can find, and enchant iron daggers...

I'm going to be the weakest adventurer with the best kit ever

Greg W
28-11-2011, 12:31:05
Yeah, but you'll be a decent level and so all the monsters will scale to that level, but your fighting skills will be crap, so you'll get your butt kicked. :p

Greg W
28-11-2011, 12:36:51
Oh and I'm lvl 20. My smithing is about mid 50s, enchanting is nowhere near good enough. One Handed is about 60, Heavy about high 40s from memory, block is 30 odd.

Tried fighting a giant the other day. Was actually doing really well, had the giant down to about 20%. But the Mammoths were a pita. Ended up the Giant caught me with one swing when I zigged when I should have zagged. Unfortunately didn't get thrown into the air, just crushed. That was the best result I got, the other three times I just got crushed with one hit seemingly, but never thrown in the air. :(

I think I need to get my conjuration/illusion up to summon something to take the mammoths out of the fight while I keel the Giant.

maroule
28-11-2011, 15:50:41
the throwing up in the air might have been linked to the special quest... the one where you try to steal a goat out of one solitary giant... (one bit of the greatest quest so far, starts in Markash, no more spoilers)

Fistandantilus
28-11-2011, 22:50:06
I read it referred to as the "one-shot giant punt into outer space" on Beth's forum :lol:

maroule
29-11-2011, 09:55:54
rhaa, reached level 100 in forge yesterday night, draconic armors, here I come...

MDA
29-11-2011, 12:14:00
I got kind of attached to the deep red glow of the daedric, but the heavy dragonbone is growing on me.

That unofficial 4GB launcher thing solved so many problems. No crashes to desktop since!

maroule
29-11-2011, 12:42:35
i have a dadric mace that glows green.... it has a demonic face carved inside it, looking at me all the time and giving me the creeps... but it's the best godamm weapon, and I had to kill an innocent man to get it so for fuck's sake I tainted my sould for a reason and will keep using it!

Fistandantilus
29-11-2011, 13:10:34

You all heavy armor guys have no fashion sense :(

And yay for no more ctds, MDA!

MDA
29-11-2011, 15:31:16
Someone described dragons as "cliffracers 2.0" on the official forum. :lol:

For me, they're tough until I find an open area where they can be tempted to land. Then they die nicely.

Greg W
30-11-2011, 04:27:45
You all heavy armor guys have no fashion sense :(I'd be a pretty odd warrior if I wore light armour! For me it's al about the protection, not the looks. Mind you, I'm going to make some light armour sets to eventually work on my stealth and/or use for enchanting purposes to keep the weight down.

maroule
30-11-2011, 08:16:03
I only wear light armours => glass and now the dragon, the ones made of scales (more difficult to find than the bones apparently, or I was just unlucky with the drops).

I gave the pendragon armour (made of bones) to my faithful lydia, the huscarl who gets in the way (but not in my bed, how come I can't Sheppard her??)

MDA
30-11-2011, 11:34:52
She just sits in my bedroom, watching...

Fistandantilus
02-12-2011, 16:14:16
Someone described dragons as "cliffracers 2.0" on the official forum. :lol:

Your comment made me load up Morrowind once again and been played it last couple of days :lol:

The magic system is so much better/varied I almost cried. I really miss all those utility spells (mark, recall, waterwalking, levitate, charm, open locks and so on) that made me feel I was a mage instead of an hybrid class that sometimes casts spells. Why did they have to remove every spell that was not useful in combat is beyond me.

MDA
02-12-2011, 16:43:36
There's a conspiracy theory (maybe not so far-fetched) that many more spells will be released as part of a DLC.

Even if that doesn't happen, someone will mod new spells in.

Fistandantilus
02-12-2011, 17:36:21
Btw, is there anyone here that had to leave a chest closed cause he ran out of lockpicks?
Is there a point in the lockpicking skill?

MDA
02-12-2011, 17:39:57
I haven't run out yet, and I only get them as dropped loot. I can go through as many as five on a top-level lock, but 3 is more normal.

Are all of the non-quest lockbockes you find in the game unlocked and empty? Mine are.

Fistandantilus
02-12-2011, 17:44:37
:lol: I didn't notice. I thought in some of them I found some pityful loot, still better than the occasional wooden fork you find in Oblivion, but I may misremember :D

They should really prevent you from even accessing the lockpicking minigame if the difference between your skill and the lock difficulty is too high.

paiktis
03-12-2011, 21:16:29
well i finally managed to get lydia killed, something that i thought i couldnt do (that's why i enganged with all sort of trolls and then run away and leave her fighting) but after the update it seems she can die and did so very quickly.

no more lydia :( (perished to a yeti frost troll, god bless her soul now)

there's another thing. i had some crashes when the game just freezes (so maybe not crashes)
after the update, the letters in my chosen resolution got screwed up!!!
gah. i tried to change to another resolution (lower one), the letters got back to their previous caligraphy but it is now "letterbox" shape screen?

apart from that, very conservative play, i tried switching to a warrior to avoid the lapses of power in higher mage levels but i got my ass kicked with consistency and now i just draw the sword and then change to mage spells if i want to kill something. unless there's something easy like a wolf where i demonstrate my exceptional warrior skills.

paiktis
03-12-2011, 21:18:07
on lockpicking, it does matter what your skill is i think. as a rule of thumb if i cant unlock it the first three times i let it be so i dont run out of lockpicks (but also the chest remains locked)

MDA
05-12-2011, 05:37:26
skill is supposed to make it easier, I haven't noticed much difference

maroule
05-12-2011, 08:42:46
started as a mage warrior, now definitly a warrior with a tiny bit of magic to show off
forging good armors and weapons does help quite a bit
now at level 35, the only time I reboot is when Lydia gets killed, which happens quite a bit, despite the flashy Pendragon armour full kit I lovingly crafted her... still, no thank you sex, am a bit disappointed

there are so many open quests, and so many cities/places I have yet to discover that I'm wondering how many times I'll still play (I'm probably at 60+ already)

MDA
05-12-2011, 14:37:19
Got a weapon called the Dawnbreaker... without spoiling things too much, it's loads of fun.

I finished the main quest and restarted a sneaky light armor sword/dagger cat. I run away more often, but come back better prepared (as opposed to the axe and shield bash/chop/chop repeat technique). I do like the backstab kill animations.

Dual wielding in light armor is high risk. No parry/block, no heavy armor. Not sure how that's going to play with the big boss types or against dragonbreath.

Forums say resistances are broken (don't work) in the 1.2 patch.

maroule
05-12-2011, 17:22:14
yes, they are
my nordic got iced cube yesterday real quick (despite his +50% resistance), which never happened before
and some dragons do fly backwards (those in the distance), slowing down the game to a crawl... very irritating

Fistandantilus
06-12-2011, 12:51:34
... still, no thank you sex, am a bit disappointed

:lol: Did you marry her?

MDA
06-12-2011, 14:52:42
Ugh, Briar-hearts are tough now. I used to be able to smack them 3 or 4 times with an axe and they'd fold right up. They're not easy to sneak up on either.

maroule
06-12-2011, 17:35:15
:lol: Did you marry her?

I know you can, still haven't found how
(but don't want spoilers)

found another pretty warrior ready to follow me yesterday (lily something in the thieves city down south) after completing her quest... hmmm, might be tempted to put Lydia in da house, and run around with the new girl... she might be a bit more open...

Fistandantilus
07-12-2011, 18:12:03
Forums say resistances are broken (don't work) in the 1.2 patch.

It has been patched. Sad mage :(

MDA
07-12-2011, 19:09:25
Well, I can stop selling the resistance potions and using the money to buy the healing ones.

Dragonbreath was bad. Forsaken with ice spells, worse.

Fistandantilus
07-12-2011, 22:35:29
I dunno, they one-shotted me before, they still do now :lol:

MDA
08-12-2011, 12:58:18
I think I've reached a point where I can make a potion that will almost cut the damage in half. I'll have to try again. I can go back to the same Briar-heart that repeatedly launched my frozen corpse at high speed into a stone wall over the weekend.

I got gulped down and shaken to death by a dragon for the first time. It was awesome! :beer:

paiktis
10-12-2011, 11:56:26
about the lydia marriage thing, no spoilers, but just to say that there needs to be a... physical jewlry presence to let's say "oil" things along.... (man that sounds slizzy!)

got underground to find that elder scroll and met fierce resistance by some fugly speciments. thing is they have the strongest bows and strongest shields i've come across, but like them, their equipement is fugly.
but necessaity made me use them and i dont like at all my image. like overgrown brussel sprouts shields.

about the smithing thing, and since i consider the empire a valuable asset to the nord hillbillies i try to get my hands on imperial armor. but it seems i need to craft it 'cause i cant find it anywhere.

i guess the only way to increase smithing is to keep crafting things?

in this case i will spend much time in the little house in whiterun (i think is called) and keep making daggers in the next armory blacksmith facility.
i wished we could get them the items, pay them, and they'd make it for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9WFrgy154g

MDA
10-12-2011, 18:44:24
daggers work good, but if you make some jewelry too, you can sell it to make up some costs

maroule
12-12-2011, 11:00:03
iron daggers have the best ratio material (price and availibility)/exp points gained

I probably built something like 300...
forge 100 is very useful for dragon armor, esp when you refine them to legendary status, but the killer strike is really to get to enchantment 100, to get two powers on each item... then you get really powerfull stuff...

I'm at level 41 now, with the nice decapitation effect, and bandit camps see me arriving with a bit of trepidation... very cinematic but I have to see if I can increase the difficulty setting because the one shot thing gets a bit boring...

Paiktis, the jewelry is the Mara (love temple thing) amulet right?

paiktis
14-12-2011, 17:41:39
if it's ok to post outright spoilers, oui c'est celui la!

thanks for the tips. i think i'll go with the daggers. had a lovely weekend in which i progressed vastly in skyrim :D
feel a bit silly asking about imperial armor. i did the relevant quest (and now that i saw the armor, i dont really like it).

btw i beat aldiun at level... 11! (no joking! it is possible since the game "levels" with you.
I was like wot?! that was it? of course there's tons of other things to do.
the latest patch btw fixed everything. uninterrupted gameplay for hours and hours :D

maroule
15-12-2011, 16:30:06
I found out you can't marry Lydia after all... but there are plenty of others bachelorettes... I know of one who is particularly pretty (won't say who, she's mine, dogs). On the other side of the spectrum, you can also have an homosexual marriage with an Orc. Which probably would hurt your arse a bit.

MDA
15-12-2011, 16:50:09
'tis better to give than to receive

maroule
16-12-2011, 09:36:29
if only Skyrim had followers as entertaining as Dragon Age or Mass Effect... sigh...

two elements that however rekinkled my love for this beast of a game Skyrim is;

1/ walking in the toundra, I came across a cart, brunt down, with two charred corpses plus two dead horse. It had obviously been struck by a monstrous fire ball for the air... it made the dragon menace a lot more palatable for the normal folks... great touch

2/ walking in a city a guard came up to me and said "is that a dragon scale armor? this is great! I wish I had one!" which both made me happy /feeling superior, and secondly made me feel my surrondings actually responded to me and my changing status... I mead, I'm level 45, I can pretty much slaughter entire cities, and I still get snotty remarks like "what? somebody stole your pastry?" or "You're with the companions? you're serving their hydromel?"

MDA
16-12-2011, 13:32:22
Lately the guards have been asking me to "enchant their swords". I'm flattered, really, but that's a little crude.

paiktis
17-12-2011, 16:12:26
they did add some effect of responsivity (for example i usually find out i have a disease because people keep asking me if i'm alright - i open the active effects and, voila, rockjoint) but it is nowhere near bioware.
of course the later screwed up so bad with DA2 i'd be willing to see if they ever get back to their feet.

ok i got smithing up to near 70 so i can upgrade magical weapons and advanced armor.

skyrim is really vast.... now i just walk around killing things without any ultimate motive. great feeling

paiktis
01-01-2012, 00:41:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNnUuTUJbmQ&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Ellipsis
01-01-2012, 05:55:26
Got this for Christmas and enjoying it so far. Also, reinstalled Morrowind and started a new character there. I always pick Redguard melee characters first.

maroule
12-01-2012, 09:17:44
finally reaching the end of it / finished the main quest, the civil war, and most of what I wanted doing (won't finish the dark brotherhood one, for example, because it doesn't fit my role-playing style from the start)

after level 35 it becomes too easy, as is always the case in Bethesda games, where the end play tends to be too easy if you've optimized your character (here I believe enchantment 100, with the double power, makes a huge difference). I have a light armor of about 650 (uniform set of dragon scales, enchanted with ligh armor bonuses), I dual wield for dmg of at least 300 (one normal strike, not talking when you put more energy into it, which means I kills dragons in about 3 to 4 strikes), and I haven't had the need to drink a potion in the last 20 hours (despite carrying about 40 with me)... apart from a direct fall from a mountain, I'm pretty immortal... so no sense of danger, and no need to plunder (can't find ways to spend my money anymore, I have 3 houses fully furnished and 80k in the bank, plus a shitload of stuff I store in my houses for decoration) means it's not the game that it was...

yet, big credit to the game, I'll still probably spend a few hours exploring it... there are still hidden donjons that are little gems (self contained small adventures, like the fantastic lightining house up north where a whole familly moved... and disappeared... that was poignant, and interesting, whatever level you were playing)

the scope of this game is quite incredible, really

MDA
12-01-2012, 11:50:05
I just reinstalled this on a new computer and can run it on ultra high settings. The shadows and lighting are awesome.

I cranked the difficulty up and started an orc 2H/heavy armor. Level 20-30 was a good challenge on normal.

Totally agree about the lighthouse family (plus, nice healing perk for finishing the story), and the drop in difficulty at level 35+.

Fistandantilus
14-01-2012, 00:44:13
Also, reinstalled Morrowind and started a new character there.

:heart:

paiktis
17-01-2012, 21:59:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TavAFFGcQ2Y&NR=1&feature=endscreen

maroule
18-01-2012, 08:38:38
go pingouin!

that's funny how fus ro dah became a meme

paiktis
24-01-2012, 19:19:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tmmQSmpdDs

3:17

"I usually kill the guards for the equipment" :lol:

maroule
25-01-2012, 12:33:15
great stuff

MDA
25-01-2012, 12:47:16
the lady on the steps was seriously afraid, I thought he might get the pepper spray

Fistandantilus
25-01-2012, 21:16:05
:lol:amazing

MDA
02-02-2012, 19:16:04
Orc berserker rage is amazing, halves incoming damage and doubles your output!

Activating it and having the dragon you were thrashing take to the air and circle for awhile, wasting most of the duration... is sad. Smart dragon though.

I reinstalled this on a new computer with a new graphics card (goodbye Vista, and fuck you). Looks amazing with correctly rendered shadows and an agreeable frame rate.

First Mod: adds color/glow to places you can mine for ore, now I can actually see them!

maroule
06-02-2012, 10:06:52
any other significant mods? esthetic ones are nice to have but not game changers

I'm still spending a bit of time in skyrim, completing a few dungeons here and there
again, it's a tribute to the quality of the game that at level 50, with no loot incentive, no real quests and no danger, I still find it entertaining... the quality, sheer quantity and genuine variety of their dungeons is really incredible... but that's not going to last me forever, I have the feeling of being a god in a fairly empty world, where most of my interactions is about killing stuff

MDA
09-02-2012, 12:36:41
The hi-res textures have been released by Bethesda, but you'll need a decent computer to use them.

There's SkyUI that makes the interface a little more mouse-friendly. I'm used to the crappy interface by now, so I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.

A map upgrade that adds the roads (with a name I don't recall, something simple like "HD map, with roads").

I haven't tried Midas Magic yet, but it's supposed to add all sorts of spells and have some sort of spellcrafting system. I just downloaded it yesterday.

A better Smoke and Flames mod that I can't really say is better. I'm not seeing a difference. Maybe I've installed incorrectly or maybe I need to get some higher level fire spells and look again.

Edit: there's also a not-family friendly female bodies mod that actually adds some shape to the women so that they don't all look like teenage marathoners, but when you strip the corpses of your female victims... bodies that even a necrophiliac won't love.

Fistandantilus
09-02-2012, 12:40:28
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=skyrims_todd_howard_dice_keynote20120208

maroule
13-02-2012, 13:17:24
I watched all 42 minutes of it, very interesting

Fistandantilus
15-02-2012, 15:24:21
Yeah, I forgot the long video warning :p but enjoyed it all

MDA
16-02-2012, 12:12:22
I know someone recommended this a long time ago, but I just got around to using Frenzy. Funny listening to two bandits trash talk about what they're going to do when they find me as they're beating each other to death.

Less funny when a brute with a greatsword resists it and counters with a running one-swing kill. Not unfunny, because there's often a slow-motion ragdoll/flying corpse scene... but less funny.

paiktis
23-05-2012, 20:37:20
Isn't there any DLC on the way?

King_Ghidra
19-03-2013, 09:48:08
If you have ten minutes to spare and you like the idea of watching me blunder my way through a fun little adventure while making mumbled comments on my ineptitude, then you'll like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJAfXlTeWF8

Starts slow and gets more fun. And available in glorious 720p!

Fistandantilus
19-03-2013, 11:54:39
Mic volume is too low imo.

And you didn't piss in the sink of the vampire mistwalker :(

Venom
19-03-2013, 12:51:53
your graphics are better than mine

MDA
19-03-2013, 13:35:30
Can't help picturing Ghorbash grabbing torchbugs and stuffing them in his mouth.

paiktis
19-03-2013, 15:25:46
Nice!
It started with mudcrab scare and ended with a vampire decapitation! The way it should be

King_Ghidra
19-03-2013, 17:19:15
Mic volume is too low imo.

Yeah, struggled with my mic settings and remembering to speak up. If it's any consolation, I made several efforts before this one that were far worse.

It started with mudcrab scare

Yeah that genuinely shocked me. I'd not played Skyrim for a while and I completely forgot they hid like that :lol:

your graphics are better than mine

My gaming pc is a couple of years old now but was very high-end when i bought it. Other than that i have one of the famous ENB graphic mods working and all the high end texture packs installed. Frightening what a difference those two make. I realised in hindsight was a bit silly to pick a playthrough mainly in the dusk/night. I shall probably do another in the day and really show off the sexy.