PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age Legends / Dragon Age II Flash Prequel

Funko
02-02-2011, 10:29:16
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-02-dragon-age-legends-closed-beta-begins

Should be out this month. The last prequel was fun.

Fistandantilus
02-02-2011, 12:49:13
Cool. :beer:

jsorense
03-02-2011, 00:10:42
Looks like crap. :(

Funko
03-02-2011, 08:42:20
Funny, that's what it said about you.

Greg W
03-02-2011, 09:51:28
It told me he smells like crap. Must be omniscient.

Venom
03-02-2011, 15:41:18
DA2 better be good. I preordered it, which I never do, because every time I do the game turns out to be the most exquisite form of shit.

Funko
03-02-2011, 16:30:34
ok, I won't pre-order then.

Funko
03-02-2011, 16:56:43
Demo of full game on 22nd Feb (maybe 23rd in Europe)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-03-dragon-age-2-demo-confirmed

Worth a play before you leap into a moronic pre-order.

Venom
03-02-2011, 18:09:26
Law of averages says I have to get it right one of these times.

Funko
04-02-2011, 08:28:06
Murphy's Law says you never will.

Ellipsis
04-02-2011, 16:08:18
I pre-ordered the last game and Civ V, so never again.

paiktis
06-02-2011, 19:29:35
I don't like it how it goes to a more console feel play.
DA was pretty immersive though.

MDA
10-02-2011, 14:12:45
Things I preordered:

Civ 3
Pool of Radiance 2
Ultima 9
Civ 5
Fallout 3: New Vegas

I'm getting a little better.

Venom
10-02-2011, 17:27:00
Ultima got me too. Still bitter about that one.

Funko
10-02-2011, 17:36:04
It's a simple rule NEVER PRE-ORDER!

Funko
10-02-2011, 17:36:08
Morons.

Fistandantilus
10-02-2011, 17:56:04
So you don't have "The Exiled Prince" DLC for free? Bohoo

Venom
10-02-2011, 18:07:41
It's a simple rule NEVER PRE-ORDER!

I know this rule! But every 10 years or so I forget and go all stupid again.

yeah yeah yeah....stupid-er.

Funko
11-02-2011, 08:23:39
I might actually pre-order this. :D

Fistandantilus
11-02-2011, 08:24:59
What about THE RULE, man????

Funko
11-02-2011, 08:28:11
I know.

Venom
11-02-2011, 15:09:36
Rules.....are made to be broken.

Or is that records? Or hearts? Or wind?

MDA
11-02-2011, 17:15:26
faces

Funko
11-02-2011, 17:18:18
faeces

Fistandantilus
24-02-2011, 15:02:13
I think the DAII demo is out, anyone tried it yet?

Venom
24-02-2011, 15:16:56
I'm afraid to.

Funko
24-02-2011, 15:33:00
My PS3 has started to download it at least... I guess it will resume when I'm practicing FIFA later.

MDA
24-02-2011, 16:23:43
I'll probably (gasp) preorder this weekend.

Fistandantilus
24-02-2011, 17:08:46
Ok, I eventually ended up dl the demo and trying it myself. I only played the first part (until you meet Isabela) and it really feels like a different game.

I hope it's just the demo cause I don't quite like what I see atm :(

Venom
24-02-2011, 17:53:25
You shut your damn mouth and change your opinion!

Venom
24-02-2011, 18:47:08
Crap. I just started reading some feedback on the demo and I'm concerned now. I'm close to canceling the pre-order.

Sounds like they made a console hack and slash.

Fistandantilus
24-02-2011, 20:00:56
Yeah it definitely feels like that. It's not a bad thing per se, depends on what your preference is.

Will try and play again (and hopefully finish) the demo tomorrow to get a better picture.

Venom
24-02-2011, 20:16:20
Apparently there's no isometric view for the PC, or armor customization for party members....blah.

Canceled the pre-order. I'm not gonna pay $60 for that. It was tough enough playing a dumber down Mass Effect 2...but at least that could be a shooter.

That type of game play just doesn't appeal to me in what I view as a RPG environment.

Once again the rule is a rule for a reason. Never pre-order a game.

Fistandantilus
25-02-2011, 15:45:48
Finished the demo.

The gameplay of it is combat->cutscene->combat->cutscene->combat, some more combat->a few words with your companions->combat. Gosh you even get teleported directly into more fights at times..
There is no exploration or whatsoever, you are in a very narrow path you can only follow briefly between encounters. The landscape is maybe a barren wasteland on purpose but it feels like art programmers were lazy.

I think, and hope, those are only demo flaws tho, otherwise is really a disappointment to the rich and immersive world Origins created.

Equipment is locked so I won't comment about it. Character progression is good, not much changed about it and it was a big concern of mines seen what they did with that from ME1 to ME2.

The real problem I have right now is the combat itself.
In Origins I was used to max zoom out in the eye bird view to give orders in real time (or pause if needed) and correct behaviour of my party as the batle went on and so on.

Now the cam is locked to the pg under your direct control. Even if you max zoom out is quite difficult to see what's going on to other party members, which means you don't have a global view on how the battle is progressing anymore. And that hurts imo.

As for the actual fight it looks like mortal kombat :lol: I played a rogue and the way it plays is you do special moves one after another, there is no surrounding anymore, the backstab is done by activating that power to see your rogue disappear an reappear behind your target to deal the blow.

I'm really unsure about it, I guess most will like the fast paced (at times frenetic) action but that change moves the game in a direction I don't like much.

Funko
25-02-2011, 15:49:11
I didn't realise you could change the camera view in DA:O. :lol: I've always used that view.

Venom
25-02-2011, 15:50:16
Yeah. There's not one specific thing that made me cancel the order, it's just a few different pieces that add up to a general wary feeling about the game. The camera view, the spastic combat, the cutscenes....it's more like Mass Effect. And while Mass Effect 2 was a very good game, I didn't want DA2 to be like that.

I'm sure I'll eventually play the game, but there's no way I'm shelling out for a $60 pre-order.

Tau Ceti
27-02-2011, 18:22:51
It feels somewhat as if they sacked everyone that worked on the original, and told the Mass Effect team to do this as a side project. The conversation wheel. The sci-fi feel of the interface, in looks and especially in sound. The ability descriptions, with "force multipliers" that do not actually tell you anything. The meaningless "press any key" title screen. They even put practically a model of the Normandy on the main menu. The landscape is essentially Mars.

Probably not everything is in this demo, but I see nothing in the skill trees about persuasion, or lockpicking, or alchemy. Is it all about combat now? And they clearly decided the combat needed to be far more over the top. Rogues somersault, jumpkick easily breakable miasma bottles and disappear in puffs of smoke. Mages, even when far away from any enemies, swing their staffs around wildly, shooting fireballs out of both ends. Fighters use two-handed swords that are larger than their bodies, leaping into the air to cleave their enemies while wearing full armour. At least if you use a bow, your own animations look less ridiculous, but you still split hurlocks in half with an arrow. Enemies come in waves, and invariably from all directions, so there is no need to even think about trying any tactics, just hack away at whatever is closest and use special abilities as often as you can.

None of this necessarily destroys anything. The game is still going to be enjoyable. But all the changes appear to be for the worse.

paiktis
27-02-2011, 21:04:27
I think someone who worked for the original DAO left early in the production of the sequel because he didn't like these changes.
Anyway Tau ceti's account sounds somewhat interesting. Feels a bit cartoonist.
A big thing about the first one was the plotline.
Anyway I will play it when I'm married and have two kids (and will buy it on the bargain bean with every expansion and DLC included)

Funko
28-02-2011, 08:38:12
Demo died after first fight, had to actually turn off the playstation to recover, which is very rare. Will get back to it.

The first fight was fun, but it wasn't the same game.

MDA
28-02-2011, 12:16:45
I'm reminded of Fallout Tactics. A so-so game on it's own, but a complete departure from what made Fallout great, which was a letdown. At least I won't have any expectations if I get this one.

maroule
28-02-2011, 12:59:22
I loved Fallout Tactics!
of course I hadn't played the RPG games, so had no expectations, but it was an old favorite of mine, alongside Jadded Alliance and Xcom... god I miss good tactical games... will get the Ogre thing on PSP as soon as it comes out

maroule
28-02-2011, 13:04:06
back on topic, did the demo yesterday, actually couldn't go past the ogre (the second one, when you're back at level 2) with a mage

pretty much agree with Fist, it was a fairly disapointing exerience, never leaving the tracks... if your creativity is just chosing the tonality of answers (good, ironic, bad... for the same result btw) or your combination of special moves, they'd better have one fucking amazing story to tell...

I'm still pre-ordering it though, I'm bioware's little bitch, they can slap me around, and I say thank you

Fistandantilus
28-02-2011, 14:05:23
I didn't realise you could change the camera view in DA:O. :lol: I've always used that view.

If you played it on a console I think you don't have that option, but I may be mistaken.

Last run thru DA:O I played a 3 mage 1 rogue party on nightmare, I would have been in a lot of trouble w/o the zoom out cam to land spells properly.

On a side note I was curious how magic worked in DA2 given the closer view and it seems they removed the friendly fire damage from area spells :( I suppose it solves the problem but...

Funko
28-02-2011, 14:39:20
On the PS3, once you select an area effect, it switches your view automatically to a kind of semi-overhead view so you can decide where to target. Which is very similar to how it works on DA:O 2

Funko
02-03-2011, 11:59:28
Finished the demo.

I'm assuming the skipping through to when you meet Isabella was just an example, rather than the way the game will actually jump between things? Otherwise that'd be mental.

Fistandantilus
02-03-2011, 15:52:23
Yeah, I assumed that too. The thing that worried me a bit was some developer saying (can't remember where or when) that this style of narration allowed them to make jumps in time/space to have you play only the relevant and exciting parts of the Champion's life.

If the Isabela meeting is an example of that, it's a poor one.

Funko
02-03-2011, 16:01:19
And you also meet the dwarf...

I imagined that meant you could jump to scenarios, much as you jumped to different towns in Dragon Age, which were separated by time as well as distance.

It looks like the Isabella meeting includes some snippets of a conversation you might have after meeting an NPC in a bar, accepting to help them, and then finding they can be a party member... I hope I'm right.

It also sounds like you have options to tune down the button mashing style of the combat.

Venom
02-03-2011, 18:12:23
My understanding is that the game covers a 7 year period in The Fereldan and the Free Marches. As you progress through the plot and complete plot related missions, you'll jump forward in time and take control of the protagonist as if you were starting a new level. Some things I've read seem to imply at least 1 jump of 3 years.

maroule
04-03-2011, 13:04:08
which in itself is a nifty idea to break the monotony of linear levelling

paiktis
06-03-2011, 11:16:20
I played a bit of the demo on my laptop not the desktop and the laptop has a tiny videocard and it was virtually unplayble.
Some notes nevertheless (I only went halfway through the first battle, then I switched it off so as not to break the laptop) one note then is that the combat is very intensive and very fast (I can only imagine on my other videocard).
I think again what will save it will be the plotline.... But non of that witch dissapearing with your heart bullshit.

Funko
08-03-2011, 14:49:08
Apparently my pre-order has been dispatched.

MDA
08-03-2011, 15:26:53
I installed mine this morning while my work computer ran some updates. I'll have to figure out if I have any addon content codes later today

MDA
08-03-2011, 18:21:14
There are so many bonus items available, I can't actually be bothered to try and figure out what I should be getting codes for. Screw that. Instead of playing the game, I'd be spending time registering, friending, and liking stuff, and I barely understand what any of that means. It's an intimidating, depressing heap of bullshit.

Ellipsis
08-03-2011, 20:21:20
I avoid this like the plague. Modern RPGs seem to be the drizzling shits. :( :mr_b:

Venom
09-03-2011, 03:19:17
Reviews have been mixed. With pretty much all the negative stuff being my greatest fears. Definitely waiting for the ol' $30 bundled package later this year.

maroule
09-03-2011, 08:27:32
I'll try it tonight
in the meantime, am playing two worlds 2 on the xbox, a rehash of oblivion, but good at passing time

MDA
09-03-2011, 12:54:23
I found some bonus items in a box in my uncle and mother's home in Kirkwall. Whee. Maybe Steam entered some codes for me automatically. I'm just glad I didn't have to pimp the game online to get something. Maybe posting about it is pimping it.

Do not like:

The change to "attitude" in conversation selections, instead of picking what you want to say, I get the feeling that most attitude choices are for flavor and don't often have an actual effect on the behavior of the NPC.

The new style of combat - all that jumping around just makes it seem like they were trying to save time by not doing thorough animation (probably untrue, but that was my feeling), and enemies popping out of thin air or rising from the earth at random positions in waves throughout a scheduled encounter reduces my tactics to "stay close enough to bail out the squishy mage and/or archer from stuff that pops into existence on top of him/her". Also, friendly fire? I'm not seeing any. I'd love a friendly fire option. Yes, that means I would actually take control of my party instead of letting the tactics slot settings take over and blow my party to bits. If I just wanted to watch, well, I already have a television and the third season of Farscape on my Netflix instant queue.

Elves, with Irish accents, that now look like small Pandorans. Once this thought occurred to me, I couldn't unthink it. Unfortunate because of the otherwise interesting Dalish blood mage I could have in my party. I enjoyed Avatar, but I fucking hate this. I added italics and profanity to emphasize just how much I fucking hate it.

Do like:

Contrary to the "on rails" feeling of conversation and the resulting action of the NPC: I was glad to see my conversation "attitude" has an observable and logical effect on how my companions feel about me. One of my first sidekicks was a recently widowed Templar's wife who works her way into the Kirkwall city guard. I would expect her to like law and order, "good" behavior, and to have a positive view of templars. Suggesting to a smuggler/quest giver you might be willing to break the rules while performing work for them, or slagging all Templars while talking to an Apostate mage will have a negative effect on her opinion of you (or increase her "rivalry", which is an even more stupid way of saying "she likes you less" than "will have a negative effect on her opinion of you", but it's a small thing). Their opinions seem like they will matter gameplay-wise once you swing them far enough. I'm getting my sister close, we'll see.

The new combat skills, so far, are interesting, even if I'm finding combat itself to be kind of dull. I'm experimenting with "fun" choices with my mage party member by choosing blowy-uppy fire spells over frost/freezing (an absolutely huge crutch in the original DA), and it doesn't seem to be hurting my survivability. Then again, combat is not as punishing as DA1, and I haven't actually tried frost spells to see if they're working like they once did. I like the idea of the party-member specific skill trees added to give them each a little more of their own flavor. The flip side of this is that friendly fire doesn't seem to be in the game, so that's one more nail in the tactical game's coffin. Maybe it comes back at higher difficulty?

DA2 might be suffering from the same high bar set by its predecessor that KOTOR 1 set for KOTOR 2. So far it's much more polished than that sad panda, but I'm only about 4 hours into the game. Time will tell.

Venom
09-03-2011, 13:02:47
Friendly fire is in nightmare mode supposedly.

Funko
11-03-2011, 11:54:28
Just arrived! That's Sunday sorted.

Fistandantilus
11-03-2011, 11:56:55
We have to wait till sunday for a review??

Funko
11-03-2011, 12:00:54
Monday probably!

If I don't sort out the bathroom floor on Saturday Tizzy will beat me.

MDA
11-03-2011, 12:21:43
Varric is awesome.

I've had a couple of boss-style battles that I actually needed to watch the animations for boss special abilities being used (the big ones seem to take a few seconds to wind up) and reposition my party in response. Regular combat is still waves of enemies from random locations.

Fistandantilus
11-03-2011, 12:30:40
So it's confirmed no traps?

MDA
11-03-2011, 12:59:00
I can't make them, but there are plenty to get caught in or disarm.

Venom
11-03-2011, 13:28:50
Varric is awesome.

I've had a couple of boss-style battles that I actually needed to watch the animations for boss special abilities being used (the big ones seem to take a few seconds to wind up) and reposition my party in response. Regular combat is still waves of enemies from random locations.

I think it's actually kind of retarded that you just have to move your people out of the way to dodge it. I'd rather it be based on character skill and not spastic gamepad play.

Greg W
11-03-2011, 13:40:41
That's not kind of retarded, that is totally retarded! I think I am glad I haven't even thought of getting this one.

MDA
11-03-2011, 14:00:12
Yeah, not my preferred way to do things. It's just much better than running in circles clicking things and using your special abilities to lock down mages, which is what all the other combat is.

I don't feel ripped off or anything, mostly because I was warned, but it's a different game. If they decide on a third in the same vein I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin, because it won't be anything I'll be in a hurry to play.

Also, constant deja vu, because the environments are so repetitive. Lots of sloppiness where there are clearly rooms on my map I can't get into because they've removed the door, or just left the door and made it unactivatable. They seem to have polished the story part OK (so far), but there are signs of a rush with map layouts and the environments. The release of high-res textures as an optional patch for people with 1GB video cards (which should be reasonably common by now, but I don't have one) yesterday supports that.

Crafting is weird. I collect resources, lyrium, herbs, and such. I can use that to craft runes or order potions which require varying amounts of each "resource", but the resources don't seem to be consumed? I guess it's kind of an unlocking process rather than a collect and use. I don't see the point of changing it from the previous, logical system to whatever this is.

Fistandantilus
11-03-2011, 19:44:20
Sad :( but thanks for the review MDA.

MDA
11-03-2011, 20:47:10
I don't necessarily think the dialogue and story are bad, and I've read they are elsewhere. Your choices don't seem to change it a whole lot, is all.

I'm enjoying the game, despite them dumping a lot of things I liked from the original.

Summary: Enjoyable timekiller, but nothing to get too excited about.

Funko
13-03-2011, 12:08:56
I'm really, really enjoying it. Played about 7 hours I guess so far? And only had to stop to do house stuff.

The level of quality is massively higher than all the additional Origins content which is what I've played most recently.

I'm finding the story and quests still have that addictive quality from Origins. Dare I say the "Just one more Quest..." factor.

I like the new conversation wheel, I like the fact that your hero seems to adapt to how you talk to people. Mine's a bit of a smartmouth.

I'm really enjoying the more political aspects to this story too. Maybe the linear-ness of the story is less well disguised than last time, but it was pretty linear in Origins too really?

Generally they've streamlined a lot of the micromanagement. Some of that I found tedious anyway, though I'm sure sometimes it might annoy me if I can't tweak something.

Console combat doesn't seem massively different from before. More fast and furious, and more spectacular, especially in the amount of moves that cause enemies to explode but generally you still activate your attacks from the battle menu, switch between players, pause and set orders etc.

I always found the story more interesting than the combat in Origins, and finding the same this time.

It looks great, the settings are again varied between suitably epic and hovels.

I think the blocked off rooms thing is where they've locked areas that you can unlock for later quests. But it is a bit sloppy that they are just on the map deactivated.

The biggest improvement is that when you go to a shop now you no longer have to have the same tedious conversation with the shopkeeper every time before you want to buy or sell. The shopkeeper is there if you want to talk, but you can just get straight in and buy and sell.

Oh and it's really obvious when looking at the map of the world which regions have which quests active in them. Which saves me having to keep referring back to the quests list to find out where I need to go.

The most annoying change is that you can't inspect an item before you pick it up. Especially annoying when working out if you need to destroy some trash to pick it up.

The crafting thing is ok, it says on one of the loading screens that once you find sources of crafting resources your contacts can always access them to make you stuff. Which answer's MDA's question, if it doesn't satisfy it.

Oh and I miss having two weaponsets active with an easy switch.

maroule
14-03-2011, 09:06:57
I'm with Funko on this one, I'm having a ball
only small gripe about the combat, less tactical and difficult (on normal, in fact pretty easy, I'm yet to die once, while there was plenty of dying in DA1)
some secondary characters are really really enjoyable and funny (Isabella and Varric's banters are often hilarious)
the landscapes are beautiful (I'm on hi res)

it's a stroll, but a very pleasant one

Fistandantilus
14-03-2011, 10:02:34
Glad you like it cause I played it a bit at a friend's place and I hate it :lol:

maroule
14-03-2011, 11:15:17
the designers took some very "segmenting" decisions (the "marmite" ones, you love it or hate it)... which is ironical since they actually were trying to make a game everybody (and not just baldur's gate historical fans) would like/relate to

the baldur gate afficionado in me is dispointed, but the casual gamer is thrilled

Funko
14-03-2011, 11:37:29
It's funny 'cause I'm finding most of the decisions to be very "meh" choices.

Maybe it really is less different on the console.

Venom
14-03-2011, 12:02:09
By all accounts they've succeeded in improving the console version, but they essentially ported that version to the PC and it removes a lot of stuff that PC players found nice. Like the overhead camera, armor management, crafting, etc.

I think that simpler interface, and the street fighter combat visuals, works great for a console. And I have no doubt that bioware have a quality story, and it's an overall quality game, but it's less than it's predecessor on the PC. And I wasn't going to shell out for a pre-order. Definitely a bargain buy for me.

Venom
14-03-2011, 12:04:05
Oh and the mass effect conversation wheel. Hate it. I feel like it removes some of the role playing aspect.

Playing Mass Effect 2 I felt like I was just walking Shepard through his story, not making my own. Sort of like I was watching a movie. I know it's the only cost effective way to have a voiced protagonist, which I like, but it does change the feel of the game.

Funko
14-03-2011, 12:12:24
Armour management on your party we lost on the console too. Which is a shame, because it means a lot of good loot is completely useless if your character can't use that armour class.

Crafting was boring anyway.

Overhead view I've never seen so I don't miss it. Sounds like it'd make combat much less immersive. That'd be the biggest thing though I guess.

MDA
14-03-2011, 12:49:05
Finished it last night, so I don't think I hate it. :) The reusing maps by walling off rooms/turning off doors thing has surpassed the Pandoran pet peeve. I found myself checking my quests and map screen to figure out where I was if I left the game for any length of time, because it can be hard to tell by looking around. Caves, sewers, and building interiors are heavily repetitive. Most of them are just the same cave, sewer, or building map, with parts blocked/opened to provide a tiny bit of variety.

I didn't see a lot of exploding enemies, but I'm guessing those result from cross-class combos. I only did those by accident, because the one party member I had deliberately talented to make things brittle for me to smash ended up inaccessible for most of the game ($(*%!). I think I did a few quests with Anders where he electrocuted some staggered targets.

Aveline was a walking fortress by the end of the game. I like.

I did get through 90% of the game with no mage healing, which is an improvement over the near requirement for at least a few healing spells in the original. It would be easy enough to play the entire game on normal difficulty without it. There's one fight where I had to run around and loot health potions off of a few sidekick corpses in order to beat the boss, but if I'd thought about where I was headed, I would have bought a few extra before leaving.

Maybe you shouldn't give gifts to people you rarely travel with, but every time I stopped by the elf witch's place to give her something, she thanked me and hated me a lot more. I kept retrying different conversation options with the gift giving and always got the same result. She hates gifts, or they messed up. I had other times where you had to be careful what you said when giving a gift, but she's a no-win situation. More proof that dwarves are better than those flighty pointy-eared freaks, as if any more were needed.

Story was enjoyable enough. I pretty much bent over backwards to get it to end a certain way, and got nothing in return (Flemeth told me I was screwed by destiny early on, but I wasn't taking her seriously after seeing her makeover). Too much like real life, maybe. They did a good job setting a story hook for the next game/DLC.

Funko
14-03-2011, 13:31:24
This is worth a read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-10-biowares-mike-laidlaw-a-defence-of-dragon-age-ii-interview

maroule
14-03-2011, 15:11:09
some remarks on the "romance" aspect. I have a male character and so far;
- the only two offers for sex come from the gay side
- the one hot woman parading her hot ass under my nose is my sister
- the one woman who speaks about sex all the time and apparently slept with "humans, elevs, and a dwarf in drag" doesn't want to fuck with me

Funko
14-03-2011, 17:20:02
Must be the way you are playing, the chicks are all over me. (this is a lie).

I'm playing as a girl again, and conveniently all the NPCs are bisexual.

Greg W
14-03-2011, 23:37:21
This is worth a read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-10-biowares-mike-laidlaw-a-defence-of-dragon-age-ii-interviewFunny, but that didn't do a lot to convince me. Especially him saying something along the lines of: No, we didn't design the game to be a console game.

And then going on to say that they indeed designed it so that experiences on both platforms would be, if not the same, then as close to the same as possible. Which to me said: It's a console game, cos we had to design it around the limitations of a console compared to a PC, but he's either too stupid to realise that or just plain doesn't want to admit it.

MDA's attempt to change the story and finding out he had been shoe-horned into it didn't help much either. I think I'm in the bargain basement bin category on this one as well.

Funko
15-03-2011, 08:21:24
I didn't post it in an attempt to convince people, just that I thought it was an interesting perspective.

It's kind of interesting that so many players here are PC since Dragon Age II only 11% of buyers are PC players. Wonder what the percentage was for Dragon Age: Origins

maroule
15-03-2011, 08:37:35
as I say, I really like the game but it's still clear to me as a PC gamer that it's been re-thought primarily as a console game. It's almost impossible to play a tactical game on the combat side, somehow you always have enemies in your back (which is really illogical in some situations)

The way Varric is taking the piss of JPRG Fenris the brooding star with trendy haircut and huge sword is rather hilarious

Funko
15-03-2011, 08:40:12
Turns out they made that clear ages ago:

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/dragon-age-2/news/bioware-designing-dragon-age-2-for-consoles/a-20100809105815357047/g-2010070893233136058

And as most of their sales are on console, that makes sense.

Fistandantilus
15-03-2011, 09:03:01
The fact that they made it clear ages ago or that it's a decision that makes sense market wise doesn't mean I have to like it :)

Funko
15-03-2011, 09:12:30
I know. :)

I can't believe you all missed out on the stress of trying to manage your party through first person view. That tactical view would make everything so easy.

maroule
15-03-2011, 11:29:36
it did, but even then DA1 made you die pretty frequently
DA2, still no group death...

Funko
15-03-2011, 12:26:58
I've had group death. :lol:

Funko
15-03-2011, 12:27:14
Mainly due to being cocky.

Venom
15-03-2011, 12:28:25
Maybe you just couldn't mash the X button fast enough.

Funko
15-03-2011, 13:24:41
Problem was only mashing x button, not doing all the other stuff you need to do like organise party, manage the mage properly etc.

Venom
15-03-2011, 14:13:35
So they did the logical thing and removed the tactical aspect of party management and turned it into a button masher?

Funko
15-03-2011, 16:28:21
??

No, I mean the reason I died mostly was that I was enjoying smashing enemies into bloody globules, and forgot to check that my party was remaining alive. :) (or manage them in any way, the tactics only go so far)

Greg W
15-03-2011, 22:52:36
I didn't post it in an attempt to convince people, just that I thought it was an interesting perspective.You may not have been trying to convince us, but he was.

maroule
17-03-2011, 11:06:34
I finally died yesterday, but I still haven't fucked

it really sucks to die a virgin

some random observatiosn
the fallen armor looks awsome
what's wrong with the hand of Isabella? looks like mummies hands, awful
the black emporium is a great dlc, it allows you to reset all your attributes (and even face)

MDA
17-03-2011, 12:02:46
I hadn't noticed Isabella's hands, I guess something else distracts me :)

in the early game when you meet Aveline and Wesley, Aveline has bare arms, and they look positively grotesque

I have yet to assemble a full armor set of any kind, I always seem to get 3/4 (except the carryover dragon armor from the first game, which looks dumb)

maroule
17-03-2011, 12:27:35
yeah, the dragon armor is ridiculous with the glowing red eyes... but it's powerful so I stupidly stuck to that until level 10... I'm a stat bitch

once you have the whole "fallen" set, you get a bonus (I think it's + 20 defense and something else)

MDA
18-03-2011, 16:20:53
Isabella and Fenris have a great conversation about his "magic fisting"

Funko
18-03-2011, 16:30:13
Yes. :lol:

They had that conversation in the Brothel.

maroule
18-03-2011, 16:49:11
the irish elf mage is actually pretty funny, she was also (on Varric's example) having quite a go at Fenris brooding

varric talking about "liking them big" and Isabella saying "I've held hundreds in my hands" was also quite funny

Funko
18-03-2011, 16:53:42
She is funny, but she's welsh.

maroule
21-03-2011, 10:14:15
is it the welsh accent?
I can't really tell them apart

the gay thing is starting to be a bit irritating; out of 4 male "companions" (the forth being the famously gay elf assassin from the first episode, coming back), three are ready to get it in the ass...

if 75% of the male population is gay in Ferelden, they'll won't need a blight to be extinct...

I'm happy with one gay companion but for fuck sake this is like in a night club in Myconos

MDA
21-03-2011, 10:56:11
nonsense, you just need one promiscuous male to keep the herd going :lol:

I actually had a conversation with Anders where it was difficult to keep him off of me without being deliberately mean. Serves me right for leading him on a little to get better loyalty.

Also, what's with his outfit? May as well be a feather boa. It's fine that he's gay, but the Frederick's of Kirkwall look is a crime against nature.

maroule
25-03-2011, 10:20:56
that's it! finished it!
won't discuss too much yet for fear of spoilers but overall I stand by my earlier view, this is a high quality game, and I enjoyed it thouroughly. I'm actually a bit sad it's over (my Hawke was really kick ass in his champion armour)

Funko
25-03-2011, 10:58:21
(the forth being the famously gay elf assassin from the first episode, coming back)

Play female characters, you'll find all the men are straight and all the females are lesbians.

maroule
25-03-2011, 11:00:54
sound advice

some good dialogs I had missed

■Isabela: So what duties did you have? As a slave, I mean?
■Fenris: Not this again.
■Isabela: I heard that Tevinter slaves are kept oiled so they glisten. Did your master oil you up? Did you glisten for him?
■Fenris: I was his bodyguard.
■Isabela: Always close at hand. Always within reach. Glistening.
■Fenris: You have an entire story written in your head already, don't you?
■Isabela: Mmm.

maroule
25-03-2011, 11:03:35
■Merrill: Did you step on something sharp, Fenris?
■Fenris: No.
■Merrill: Slam your fingers in a door?
■Fenris: No.
■Merrill: Smack your head on a low beam?
■Fenris: Is there a point to this line of questioning?
■Merrill: Just wondering why you're so cross all the time.
If Varric is in the party:

■Varric: I think he jabs himself with those spikes, personally.
■Fenris: Perhaps it's the inane prodding.

Funko
25-03-2011, 11:19:09
I haven't had time to play this for ages. Tizzy's parents were visiting... hope to get back to it this weekend.

maroule
25-03-2011, 11:27:10
■Isabela: It's not always fun and games on the sea, though. There are storms and hostile pirates.
■Isabela: And it's trying being cooped up with men who haven't seen a woman in months.
■Merrill: You're a woman.
■Isabela: Exactly. And I don't usually let them touch me, so they get... frustrated.
■Isabela: I insist all of them get alone time. Helps with the crankiness.
■Merrill: But they're already lonely! Why would you insist that they be alone some more?
■Isabela: Merrill.
■Merrill: What? Did I miss something?
■Isabela: Go think about it. Maybe it'll come to you.

maroule
25-03-2011, 12:57:39
last ones :lol:

■Isabela: How's marriage been treating you, big girl?
■Aveline: It's been good. No, great. I'd forgotten what it was like to-
■Isabela: Be flipped ass-over-tits and hammered like a bent nail?
■Aveline: To. Be. Loved.
■Isabela: Oh. Right. Of course.
■Aveline: Not that I'm complaining about the other thing.

───────
■Aveline: I know you have to be prepared for the random phallus, but for your own safety, please shut your mouth!
───────
■Isabela: So, Donnic was in the Rose.
■Aveline: He was not!
■Isabela: Easy, big girl. He wasn't shopping for himself. You're lucky to have a man who wants to please you.
■Isabela: But maybe you could indulge him more. Are there areas of intimacy you haven't explored?
■Aveline: Why? Why do you give me these doubts?
■Isabela: Aveline. If you shove your thumb up his ass, I win.

Sir Penguin
27-03-2011, 03:21:12
I am looking forward to DA2 hitting $20.

SP

Funko
28-03-2011, 07:26:32
Managed to get in another few hours at the weekend. Got past the 3 year jump forward.

That device is working really well actually.

Funko
04-04-2011, 09:36:42
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/04/videogames-gay-characters

I've shagged Isabella and Anders so far. Anders wanted to move in straight after! So I had to dump him.

Fistandantilus
04-04-2011, 10:11:40
Wow, I did not expect Maroule's inability to get laid pushed him as far as to complain directly with Bioware.

Funko
04-04-2011, 11:01:13
:lol:

Funko
04-04-2011, 11:02:58
Having gotten further into this, the repeated maps are a bit disappointing, but don't really impact on play.

Would be really nice if they hid the bits of the maps you couldn't go down off the map display rather than just blocking off doors though.

I also miss fog of war on maps, in this one you can't always tell where you haven't been yet.

Still really enjoying it though. :beer:

MDA
04-04-2011, 11:13:40
it's such a small thing to complain about, really really small

six months from now we'll find out Gaider "wrote both ways" to create buzz about the game

Funko
04-04-2011, 11:25:26
1. It's much easier to have all the characters flirt with you whatever sex you are than code sexuality exceptions.
2. A blend of sexualities is considered normal in these enlightened times.
3. It was exactly the same in the first game.

maroule
04-04-2011, 14:35:29
no it wasn't
in the first game, you had to fight to have sex with any character (gay or hetero)
what surprised me here was that Anders was actively hitting on me, as could have happen in (gasp) real life

anyway, soon after I finally managed to shag pirate lady (after so real work - I must be the only one in town to have worked for it) and invited a demon possessed elf blood mage to live with me... so I was releved

Venom
04-04-2011, 14:41:10
I think one of the complaints about "teh gay" has been that it has a negative impact on gameplay if you're not queer. As in, there's no way to shut Anders down without losing major friendship points. Which really just makes gay people look evil because they can't be friends with someone without flirting with them or drilling them in the ass.

MDA
04-04-2011, 15:20:58
those friend/rival buffs are nice to have, but not required...
Anders isn't required either, I suppose.

The conspiracy theorist in me says both sides of the argument were written by Gaider

maroule
04-04-2011, 15:41:34
well, you could drive Anders to hate you and get the rivalry bonus points...
anyway, I didn't like him as a character in the last episode (awakening was it?), when he wasn't trying to fuck me up the arse, so his new sexual aggressiveness certainly didn't earn him a place in my rooster

Funko
04-04-2011, 15:57:57
If you shag Anders then don't let him live with you he still stays on the massive positive bonus.

Funko
04-04-2011, 15:58:27
It is nice that a Heal mage isn't vital though. I quite often use Merril, 'cause she's much funnier.

Fistandantilus
04-04-2011, 17:12:09
She is funny, but she's welsh.

:cute:

Funko
06-04-2011, 17:40:11
So they seem to have sent me a thing that says I can download Mass Effect 2 for the PC for free since I bought Dragon Age II.

Just trying it.

Funko
06-04-2011, 17:46:01
Seems to be downloading now. :beer:

I was thinking about buying it. :lol:

Fistandantilus
06-04-2011, 19:47:09
Don't forget to download all the free Mass Effect 2 DLC also :)

Funko
07-04-2011, 07:17:46
Yep. :beer:

maroule
07-04-2011, 08:19:38
hey, how come I didn't receive it??
anyway, I won't replay ME2 on the PC, I've already done all the DLC on xbox (the lair of the shadow broker was really good)

on the other hand, I might replay the original DA...

Fistandantilus
07-04-2011, 09:21:16
I think is some kind of raffle

I did receive it but
1) I already own ME2
2) I do not own DA2 so I can't activate the download

:lol:

Funko
07-04-2011, 09:28:57
hey, how come I didn't receive it??
anyway, I won't replay ME2 on the PC, I've already done all the DLC on xbox (the lair of the shadow broker was really good)

on the other hand, I might replay the original DA...

I think even if you don't have the email you can still go here and get the game:

http://social.bioware.com/me2offer

(I know you don't need it, but if anyone else is reading and doesn't have it..)

I'd probably have bought ME2 on PS3 but free on the PC is better. :D

maroule
07-04-2011, 09:33:44
it's a hell of a game...

Funko
18-04-2011, 07:23:55
Managed to get back to this for the first time in ages. Progressed to the final installment after the Qun encounter.

Funko
18-04-2011, 07:28:21
I'm disappointed I'm nearing the end. :(

MDA
18-04-2011, 11:11:38
Picked up ME2 for free, then got distracted playing HOMM4 most of the weekend.

Fistandantilus
18-04-2011, 12:00:47
HOMM6 is coming out soon I think.

MDA
19-04-2011, 11:52:25
lots of references to the first Mass Effect in ME2, I was a little lost, then I set some aliens on fire and felt better

I probably spend 30 minutes reading codex entries trying to piece things together, I may go get a summary off wiki

MDA
22-04-2011, 11:42:05
it's a hell of a game...

it is turning out that way

kind of a mix of KOTOR and Republic Commando

paiktis
22-04-2011, 19:34:18
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/04/videogames-gay-characters

I've shagged Isabella and Anders so far. Anders wanted to move in straight after! So I had to dump him.

er, i'm sorry but have you guys seen the picture of the person writing this article? life has probably taught her by now that all men are gay.

Funko
26-04-2011, 07:19:48
Completed!

I added Fenris and Merril to the notches on my bedpost. Ended up moving in with Merril.

I managed to avoid being named Viscount somehow. D'oh. :(