PDA

View Full Version : Transfer deadline day.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-02-2011, 10:55:23
£35 million for Andy Carroll. I repeat, £35 million for Andy Carroll.

OK, he's good- but £35 million? For somebody who looks like he'll be spending chunks of his career in prison?

Unbelievable.

Other news - James Beattie loaned to Blackpool (why? He's never going to amount to anything again).
Diouf to Rangers on loan. Good luck, Rangers.
Gudjonson loaned to Fulham.
Konchesky loaned to Notts Forest. Shrewd bit of business there.
Tuncay to Wolfsberg- they'll miss him.

Oh, and Chelsea signed a couple of Spaniards, apparantly.

MOBIUS
01-02-2011, 12:44:42
That Carroll signing is utterly nuts! :eek:

Good riddance to Torres, petulant twat. I hope he comes a cropper at Chelski!

Funko
01-02-2011, 12:58:50
Why should a (one time) world class player like Torres stay at a mediocre mid table premiership team?

MOBIUS
01-02-2011, 14:11:43
Arguably part of the reason they're been mediocre is because of his lacklustre performances - talk about a rat jumping a sinking ship - by gnawing the hole in the first place!

Besides, 7th is respectable mid table, not mediocre.

maroule
01-02-2011, 14:50:34
it's a big bet from chelski, it is quite possible that Torres never regains his form

there has been a number of fantastic players who petered out after a few season at the top, and never bounced back... I don't know why but croocked leg Rivaldo jumps to mind,as does Adriano, Ibrahim Ba, etc.

Funko
01-02-2011, 14:55:57
Arguably part of the reason they're been mediocre is because of his lacklustre performances - talk about a rat jumping a sinking ship - by gnawing the hole in the first place!

Besides, 7th is respectable mid table, not mediocre.

They're mediocre because they've bought tons of mediocre players, he was a great buy, but has been plagued by injury recently. It's not like he was any different playing for Spain.

7th might be respectable mid table if you are a West Ham fan... not if you are a Liverpool fan.

Fistandantilus
01-02-2011, 17:39:06
Torres is not a West Ham fan :(

Funko
02-02-2011, 08:42:33
:lol:

Back!
02-02-2011, 13:56:50
....fantastic players... ...a few season at the top...

.....Ibrahim Ba...

WHAT???? WHEN?????????

Fistandantilus
02-02-2011, 14:29:58
Ibrahim Ba was only partially better than Stephan Dalmat. Mediocre but overhyped french players were common back then :p

Funko
02-02-2011, 15:16:22
I assumed that was a troll, so decided not to respond.

maroule
03-02-2011, 17:29:56
it wasn't a troll, I didn't say Alliardière or Cheyrou ("the next Zidane" said Houllier), but poor example possibly

Ba had indeed been grossly over rated, as Dalmat (who is enjoying a mini renaissance at Sochaux), but the gap between the rest of his career and his performances in decent teams like Bordeaux is amazing... one day he stands out in the French team (in 97, one year before winning the WC, so not a poor team) and scores a great goal against Portugal, then the next thing you know, after the Milan nadir, he can't even get a starting place in Bolton, Rizespor or Djugardens!!!! that's slightly off topic, but these great falls have always been a surprise to me...

maroule
03-02-2011, 17:36:31
Ibrahim Ba was only partially better than Stephan Dalmat. Mediocre but overhyped french players were common back then :p

for a simple reason, they were technically above average (good grassroot education system emphasizing technical skills), and above all very cheap... that led every manager to buy decent footballers like Cheyrou and overhype them as the "new zidane"...

however, there were some great transfers to be made... obviously Wenger didn't pay much for Viera, Henry, Pires, Petit... the others afterwards got the rest of the draft...

Funko
04-02-2011, 08:33:55
I don't know if it's that surprising.

Decent, solid, technically sound, athletic players can do a great job in a very talented, well coached, well disciplined teams. That doesn't mean they'll excel as one of the stars in a mediocre team.

Ba would certainly fit into that category.

maroule
04-02-2011, 09:45:51
but he excelled in Le Havre, which was as crap as you'd expect from the name... he was good in poor, in average and in very good teams, but (and that's the but that stung the milanese) only for 2 to 3 years...

the other point is that if he indeed had been, after his fall, a "decent, solid, technically sound, athletic player", he would have relaunched his career in Bolton or at least gotten a few games in a super mediocre turkish team...

it's just as if all his abilities (I don't even talk about talent) had disappeared... that's what I find so surprising

btw I don't think Torres fits that model, he's obviously a lot more talented... a good example would be a great player never recovering from repeated injuries (van basten at the end of his career maybe?)

Funko
04-02-2011, 10:43:47
It should be noted that my entire previous post was intended as a troll for MoSe.

Funko
04-02-2011, 10:44:34
btw I don't think Torres fits that model, he's obviously a lot more talented... a good example would be a great player never recovering from repeated injuries (van basten at the end of his career maybe?)

Shearer, Owen, Fat Toothy Ronaldo

maroule
04-02-2011, 15:33:00
Fat Toothy keeps scoring to this day; check his stats on wiki, he's still scoring more than one goal every two games, even though he's 35 and weights a ton... Torres would like that...

Funko
04-02-2011, 16:57:41
But is there a decent Brazilian player who isn't making a fortune in Europe?

Funko
04-02-2011, 16:58:39
Also, Torres is on 0.63 GPG in England.

Funko
04-02-2011, 17:00:19
Despite his awful form he's got 9 goals in 21 starts this season, + 2 short sub appearances.

Greg W
06-02-2011, 08:41:03
Add Kewell to that list too. :(

Fistandantilus
06-02-2011, 19:18:51
Comparing Kewell to Torres is so wrong it hurts.

Greg W
06-02-2011, 23:10:14
I'd happily compare him to Owen though.