PDA

View Full Version : Minority Report

Guy
20-05-2002, 16:58:33
Trailer for this preceded Star Wars. While it is quite dangerous to speculate on a movie's quality based on the trailer, this looked quite good.

Don't know if our European friends have seen this yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Mightytree
20-05-2002, 17:46:40
Actually, after I had seen the trailer I thought Episode 2 would suck. It looked like another special effects orgy without much story, like Episode 1.

Glad I was wrong. :)

FunkyFingers
21-05-2002, 08:15:48
I've seen the trailer for this twice now; I just get the feeling that in the trailer they've shown all the good bits? I'm also very wary of any film with Tom Cruise in these days - MI2 was shit!

Guy
21-05-2002, 13:51:06
Can't argue with that. What gives me hope is that this is yet another "Inspired by a short story by Phillip K. Dick" movie, which tends to be generally a good thing. The man was a horrid writer, but seems to give great ideas to screenwriters.

I will of course be reserving judgement until release, however the trailer got me interested. More so than the Matrix sequel's trailer did.

Funkodrom
22-05-2002, 08:45:05
I saw the trailer and I thought it looked really good.

I loved MI2, I know no-one else agrees but I really liked John Wu's ridiculous overblown direction, interesting clash of styles and sometimes hillarious in it's ridiculousness. Especially - Dove and Motorbikes.

Venom
22-05-2002, 11:59:09
I liked the scene where the dove drove the motorcycle (in slow motion of course).

Qweeg
22-05-2002, 12:44:46
Is this the film where they cleared Tyne Square (or is it Time Square?) in New York for a few hours while they filmed one of the scenes? apparently there are lots of tiny little details scattered through-out the film that relate intimately to the story. If you read the adverts in the Time Square scene for instance....

I havent seen the film yet but I saw an interesting interview with Cruise about it, I'm looking forward to it.

Guy
22-05-2002, 12:48:57
Qweeg, you're thinking of Vanilla Sky, which most reports said was pretty bad. Haven't seen it myself, so I can't say. Minority Report is being directed by Steven Spielberg and doesn't open for a while yet.

Qweeg
22-05-2002, 13:05:56
No its not Vanilla Sky, the film I'm thinking of hasn't opened yet either. Minority Report involves little surveillance robots or something too I think... I'm sure there were no such robots in Vanilla Sky.

Of course I could be wrong, I am less sure the more I write to be honest.

Guy
22-05-2002, 13:13:06
Vanilla Sky is the film that they cleared out Times Square for. It was a psychological movie dealing with reality and perspective.

Minority Report is about the near future where a special police force uses precognizant mutants to arrest murderers before they commit their crimes. Tom Cruise plays the leader of that force who then gets identified by the mutants as the next murderer. Dunno if it's got robots in it or not.

Qweeg
22-05-2002, 15:41:09
That sounds like the truth. Of course if there are no little robots in Minority Report then forget it, I refuse to watch any film that omitts little robots, but includes Tom Cruise.

Venom
22-05-2002, 17:42:44
There are small spider like robots used for tracking, I think, in Minority Report.

Funkodrom
23-05-2002, 09:46:50
And all other good films.

FunkyFingers
23-05-2002, 10:56:37
Originally posted by Guy
Minority Report is about the near future where a special police force uses precognizant mutants to arrest murderers before they commit their crimes. Tom Cruise plays the leader of that force who then gets identified by the mutants as the next murderer. Dunno if it's got robots in it or not.

I already knew that, you potentially murderous fool, just wait 'till I arrest you.
Yes it will have little spidery robots - I predict that in one scene, Tom Cruise will attempt to hide from them by submerging himself in a bath full of ice cold water, but one of the suspicious spider-bots will prick the icy surface and discharge a small electric pulse, bringing TC out of the bath and to justice.

I can't believe you can't see in to the future, you weak minded minions.

Venom
23-05-2002, 12:55:00
So you've seen the trailer then.

FunkyFingers
23-05-2002, 15:37:37
Yes. Twice.

Funkodrom
23-05-2002, 15:38:35
:beer: Nice one Venom.

FunkyFingers
23-05-2002, 15:40:48
:bash:

Venom
23-05-2002, 16:01:40
All too easy. 100-0!!!!!!

Take that Funky!

That's how you 100-0.

FunkyFingers
23-05-2002, 16:21:20
:nervous:

Venom
23-05-2002, 16:49:28
I'm over doing it, aren't I?

Funkodrom
23-05-2002, 18:10:57
No, that's fine, especially after his celebrations when he got you. :D

:beer:

Venom
23-05-2002, 19:59:38
HA HA!!!! FUNKY GOT 100-0ed by ME!!!!

I believe a thread in counterpoint is needed for this.

FunkyFingers
24-05-2002, 08:32:19
I think this matter can quietly be left to be forgotten... :nervous:

Venom
24-05-2002, 13:27:47
I think we can get some more mileage out of it.

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 13:28:44
A lot of mileage actually.

Venom
24-05-2002, 13:29:16
For instance....

Hey Mike, guess what happened the other day.

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 13:33:45
I can't guess, you'll just have to tell me, was it something monumentous, exciting and hillarious all at once?

Venom
24-05-2002, 13:37:12
It was all those things and more.

I 100-0ed Funky Fingers. How great is that?

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 13:38:02
That's brilliant! He must have been gutted. How did it happen exactly?

Venom
24-05-2002, 13:43:30
He's devastated.

It started off with him trying to be a smartass. One simple question later, Funky is making a total ass of himself. His shame is great. If he were Japanese he would have killed himself already.

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 13:47:18
That's the way 100-0 goes, one minute you are happy, the next you are the one everyone's laughing at.

Venom
24-05-2002, 13:49:07
And I think we're ALL laughing at Funky.

FunkyFingers
24-05-2002, 13:54:08
I'm saying nothing :nervous:

jsorense
25-05-2002, 17:48:32
[snicker]

The Bursar
25-05-2002, 19:28:58
*snicker*

Venom
11-07-2002, 13:04:34
*bump* for future generations.

Qweeg
15-07-2002, 11:49:14
This is a really cool film, the technology concepts are really impressive, and plausable (except I think the cardboard and paper concepts might be a little too expensive to be quite as disposable as they appeared to be). The personalised advertising concept was very clever and slightly worrying in a Big-Brother kinda way, and those door-to-door vehicles were cool (but I don't think transport-networks could be so radically renovated in just 50 odd years or so).

Very intelligent and authentic looking- I could really believe the world will be similar to this in 50 years.

And I really loved the Lexus- I want one, I want one!

Effects were really magical (although I couldnt help thinking there'd be some serious leg-scorch type injuries in that jet-pack scene) and didn't rely on lots of explosions and so on- subtly done, and the close-crop-haired babe was babelicious, reminded me of Sophie actually, (you wouldn't know Sophie, but she's really fit).

The plot was very clever too- but I don't trust myself to expound on it without giving it away- (although I was ahead at every stage- it wasn't predictable)

There might be lots of annoying nervous laughter from other members of the audience when you watch this film- coz the concepts made alot of peoples brains hot, like when Cruise changes his identity and the advertising systems start calling him by another persons name, for some reason lots of people found it really funny:confused: I dunno why, the stolen-ID guy had a Japanese name but still the giggling was inexplicable in my opinion *shrugs* go figure.

Anyway- best realistic(ish)-future Sci-Fi I've seen since Bladerunner. Maybe its no coincidence that its based on a PK Dick novel too.

Guy
15-07-2002, 18:01:42
I thought the world was very well thought out and detailed as well. That's really what made the movie for me, the plausibility of the setting. The loss of privacy was especially thought provoking, though I thought the arresting the innocent issue should have gotten a little more time.

SPOILER:

The only thing that confuses me is how the whole shebang got set up in the first place. The only reason Tom Cruise was looking for the guy was because of the premonition of killing him, how did the bad guy know to set it up that way? Simply putting the guy in a hotel room with the pictures shouldn't have been enough to trigger the events, should it? The premonition wasn't faked or doctored in any way. Everything hangs together very nicely in the movie and I love the way the plot moves you through the discovery process, but I stumble on the How every time I think about it.

Guy
15-07-2002, 18:03:30
Oh, and it absolutely amazes me that so many great movies are based on PK Dick novels. There are some interesting concepts raised by Dick, but by and large, his stories are utter sewage (in my humble opinion).

Qweeg
16-07-2002, 14:50:45
I've heard that opinion of PKs work before Guy, from someone else in here actually- that PKDs stuff makes for great film- but crap writing.

Cruise isn't set up by the way, what are you talking about... there is no set ups- what pictures?

>ahem<

Generally speaking, I think that knowing someone well- and knowing the emotional landmarks in their lives- would generally be a good place to start in arranging a situation where they may be manipulated into killing someone, if you did it right a person who could glimps the future would probably glimps the success of your cunning plans culmination in future reality- this opinion has nothing to do with the plot of Minority Report.

Sean
16-07-2002, 15:03:40
Guy, I was wondering that too. The best I can think of is with the old circular logic: it was going to happen because the precogs saw it, and they saw it because it was going to happen.

King_Ghidra
16-07-2002, 15:27:09
Originally posted by Guy
Oh, and it absolutely amazes me that so many great movies are based on PK Dick novels. There are some interesting concepts raised by Dick, but by and large, his stories are utter sewage (in my humble opinion).

but science fiction is a lot like science in the respect that - articulating your idea is not necessarily as important as simply having the idea.

Take Gibson's Neuromancer - not the most brilliantly written book, but one which virtually created a genre, if not a self-fulfilling prophecy.

not to say that there aren't more deserving writers than Dick out there who have even better ideas, but maybe his are more filmable - contrast with something like Dune which is virtually unfilmable.

Guy
16-07-2002, 16:01:34
Fair enough point, King_G, just that in Dick's case I still feel its quite a stretch to leap from the redundant, rambling, murky swamp of his writing to the films produced from them. The only things his stories ever inspired in me was a desire to throw them across the room for wasting my time. In my opinion, Blade Runner was a fluke and the other films followed from people who were thinking "Whoa! Blade Runner was super cool! What else did this Dick guy write? C'mon, there's gotta be something else we can make a movie of!"

OK, that's a bit over harsh, but I do believe the genius lies within the re-interpretation of the ideas rather than the original ideas themselves. Again, just my humble opinion, it may be that I just don't 'get' PK's writing.

Sean, that's as good an explaination as any, I suppose. Adding anything else into the film to drive him to that place at that time would have detracted from the suspense and mystery as well. His complete bafflement over why he would ever want to kill someone is much more compelling than if he were simply following a set of standard clues.

FunkyFingers
16-07-2002, 20:58:55
Might go and see this tomorrow I think, as a birthday treat...

The Mad Monk
22-07-2002, 01:13:17
*snicker*