PDA

View Full Version : a Design without Draws

Back!
09-09-2010, 11:03:28
http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/president/presidentialcolumn/news/newsid=1299857.html#blatter+encourage+free+flowing +football

...in the first few matches of the group stage in South Africa, we witnessed some teams that went out to avoid defeat, that were playing for a draw from the outset.
This is a topic that I would like to discuss at upcoming Football and Technical Committee meetings. We have to try to find a way to encourage free-flowing football in tournaments like the World Cup, with teams playing to win.

We plan to take the opportunity to look at the concept of extra time as well. Often we see teams set themselves up even more defensively in extra time, in an attempt to avoid conceding a goal at all costs. To prevent this, we could go directly to a penalty shoot-out at full time, or reintroduce the golden goal rule.

Penalties at 90' seem to be proposed "in place" of extra-times, which would not then be the case of group stage matches where there's no extra-time

Other newespaper comments on the interview inferred instead that he intended to introduce full-time penalties in group matches too, with 2 points instead of 1 for the penalties winner. Which would be imho an even worse cure, encouraging instead of deterring a weaker team to aim for a draw, as they could with luck earn an extra bonus too!

Spainís success was well-deserved; in my opinion, they along with Argentina produced the highest quality of play. On top of that, theyíre both young teams, just like the German side that finished third, and Ghana. Thatís a good sign

Indeed: U21 Germany defending champions just crashed out of Euro 2011 without even reaching playoffs!

President Blatter, what is it that keeps you so motivated after 35 years at FIFA?
I then realised that, personally speaking, I had a mission to fulfil. And that mission isnít finished yet.

when that man dies, it will never be soon enough

Funko
09-09-2010, 11:28:14
What a twat.

And I concur with your assessment of 90 min penalties it means that playing for a 0-0 is even more effective!

Football is interesting precisely because inferior teams can always cause massive upsets. They shouldn't be made to attack until humiliated by superior opponents. A 0-0 or narrow 1-0 win is very often a better match to watch than a 5-0 thrashing.

Funko
09-09-2010, 11:30:14
Out of all the proposals around this I think I'd vote for bigger goals. The average size and athleticism of players has hugely increased since the game was invented, and the latter could really only be handled by making pitches bigger. Which is just impractical given the number of stadiums that'd have to be changed. So make the goals a few inches wider and higher.

Fistandantilus
09-09-2010, 12:13:25
Aren't there more pressing matters like introduce a lil bit of technology to prevent ghost goals and such at least?

MOBIUS
09-09-2010, 12:25:47
But that would mean even less goals...:p

Greg W
09-09-2010, 14:54:46
Having said that, New Zealand were one of the more attractive teams in terms of playing style. They played 4-3-3, no matter who they were playing and ended up undefeated. With a little more luck they may even have progressed. Now that would have been an achievement.

I'm not sure a few extra inches for the goalposts would mean many more goals. Make the bar a foot higher and wider on each side. I'd also be extremely tempted to get rid of the offside rule tbh (or even just make it only apply in the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the field). I'd like to see how that went in some trials. It may not work, but I think it'd be worth a shot as it would open up the field a lot more.

Or just make a super jabulani that does things that even science would think impossible. :cute:

Back!
09-09-2010, 16:29:15
Having said that, New Zealand were one of the more attractive teams in terms of playing style.

said the Bus Driver

at least they know how to park it
:p

PS: "one of the more"...?
<grammer NewZi>

Back!
09-09-2010, 16:31:35
BTW, can you mod the rules in PES or any football PC game?
I bet you were all crazy Civ games modders

Fistandantilus
09-09-2010, 16:36:58
Having said that, New Zealand were one of the more attractive teams in terms of playing style.

:lol:

Funko
10-09-2010, 07:53:05
Yes. :lol:

Funko
10-09-2010, 08:45:08
To remove draws - get rid of group stages and make it a straight knock out.

Back!
10-09-2010, 09:03:01
as it was in 34 and 38 (btw fascist Italy won both)

yeah, so 16 countries will travel all the way, get knocked out in their 1st match and go straight back home
...except if they're the hosts, they're already home

also, there would be 32 less matches played, that's half of them

Funko
10-09-2010, 09:05:38
the boring ones?

64 teams! (btw. teams travel across the world for meaningless friendlies all the time).

and your considerations are exactly why we have to have the (allegedly) boring group stages that could end in draws in the first place.

Sepp Twatter.

Greg W
10-09-2010, 14:52:35
said the Bus Driver

at least they know how to park it
:pPffft. They did no such thing. They played 4-3-3 every match. And actually tried to attack and not play for 0-0 draws. Heck, they were far more attractive to watch than Australia, Italy, France, England, the Netherlands and so on. And many of the other teams that did just park the bus and try and not lose first.PS: "one of the more"...?
<grammer NewZi>It's correct grammar, thank you very much. :p

Funko
10-09-2010, 15:02:43
There are ways to play 4-3-3 though.

Back!
10-09-2010, 15:15:17
It's correct grammar, thank you very much. :p

OK, you're the more beautiful poster in CG.

Greg W
10-09-2010, 15:17:55
I didn't think they were that bad though. They still wanted to attack. And in numbers. For a massive underdog they were bloody amazing.

IMHO of course. :cute:

Greg W
10-09-2010, 15:19:51
OK, you're the more beautiful poster in CG.No. That is incorrect. You can be more beautiful (than someone else)... Or you can be one of the more beautiful (people)...

:p

Greg W
10-09-2010, 15:23:05
And in case you think I am wrong...Teaching Grammar

Grammar is central to the teaching and learning of languages. It is also one of the more difficult aspects of language to teach well.From here (http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/grammar/grindex.htm)...

:lol:

Back!
13-09-2010, 07:56:05
great link, thanks

in the specific tho, it still sounds as bad to the ear as NZL style being attractive
:D