PDA

View Full Version : Security vs Productive Anxiety

paiktis
16-08-2010, 22:04:04

Japher
16-08-2010, 22:46:51
Plans.. plans always get in the way, they change and skew the perspective.

You are doing well but you think, 'I remember when I was going to do that thing before I got too old.' Then all of a sudden you are too old, and can't do that thing, or haven't, and you say you failed. Yet, if you said you were going to do all the things you did do you would have succeeded, and you would be happy and content.

Fvck plans.

I set goals, but I don't really strive for them. I set them so that when the opportunity presents itself I know it as something I've been looking for. In that sense I like effectual thinking rather than causal thinking.

Effectual thinking is more forward thinking. It looks at what you have to determine what you can do. Causal thinking however looks at the ends you desire and reasons backwards a means to determine what you need to get to that end. Causal thinking will tell you that you need a lot of money to start a successful business, that you need to good looking to find a hot girl friend, or that you need all your problems solved in order to be happy. Effectual thinking, on the other hand, recognizes that people bootstrap success all the time, that Lyle Lovett married Julia Roberts, and that there's a lot of happy people with cancer.

It didn't get screwed up on the way, it just didn't follow your plans quite right.

self biased
17-08-2010, 01:02:30
i must be out of my mind. Japher's making sense, and on top of that I agree with him.

MOBIUS
17-08-2010, 09:16:58
Yep!:beer:

Greg W
17-08-2010, 09:33:56
Life is like a box of chocolates! Everyone else gets the good ones before you get there and the rest of them melt! :bash:

MDA
17-08-2010, 11:24:08
When life serves you melted chocolate, dip fresh fruit in it.

Drekkus
17-08-2010, 12:53:47
I'm just content knowing that goals I had set and which I didn't complete were apparantly due to the fact that I enjoyed doing nothing, being lazy, idle and ignorant more then working my ass off trying to reach those goals. So I guess the goals weren't that important anyway.

Beta1
17-08-2010, 14:20:36
only one sure way to avoid dissappointment - Lower you expectations!

MOBIUS
17-08-2010, 14:40:55
I tend to agree with Drekkus - I enjoy being lazy!:beer: