PDA

View Full Version : NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Mr. Bas
08-08-2010, 04:24:18
Some sad, sad developments in my life.

The greatest game ever is no more: Furious George (http://furious-george.net) has gone offline. No more vaporizing busfulls of nuns with experimental lasers, no more shooting a man just to watch him die, no more violating the second law of thermodynamics. What's even worse, the name is also taken by some crappy phone game and a band from DC, so even googling for it has become hopeless.

:(

paiktis
08-08-2010, 19:55:35
what is the second law of thermodynamics?

Back!
09-08-2010, 07:54:29
100-0?

Entropy

Back!
09-08-2010, 08:02:34
for the layman (and the journalist)

In a few words, the second law states "spontaneous natural processes increase entropy overall."

Another brief statement is "heat can spontaneously flow from a higher-temperature region to a lower-temperature region, but not the other way around."

Nevertheless, energy can be transferred from cold to hot, for example, when a refrigerator cools its contents while warming the surrounding air, though still all transfers as heat are from hot to cold.
Heat flows from the cold refrigerator air to the even-colder refrigerant,
then the refrigerant is warmed by compression (which requires an external source of energy to do thermodynamic work),
then heat flows from the hot refrigerant to the outside air,
then the refrigerant cools by expansion to its initial volume (thus doing thermodynamic work on the environment),
and the cycle repeats.

as it was taught to me in school:
"you can't transfer heat from cold to hot, without spending some work in it too"

Back!
09-08-2010, 08:04:28
it gets violated when your boss gets all heated up because you're NOT putting enough work in for him, while you keep your cool indifference

paiktis
09-08-2010, 16:23:35
sorry i've always considered positive sciences (physics, mathematics etc) the equivalent of a plummer. good for having your pipes working (and get a treatment for cancer or putting a man to the moon) but after that, bullshit :D
something for the plebians to do while we live our lives and indulge in the things that really matter :D

I didn't understand it btw. so it's that cold can go to heat but not the other way around?

Cheshire Cat
10-08-2010, 08:08:26
no, I figure you didn't read the quote, as it wasn't certificated literature
:p

heat can freely go from hot to cold, but to go the other way round you have to force it back by spending some extra work and effort in it

"something for the plebians to do while we live our lives and indulge in the things that really matter"
i.e. while you gurgle your whisky or metaxa on the rocks (a thing that really matters), we plebians provide the knowledge and effort to produce you the ice in the weltering greek summer, without you even needing to know how it's done and how many lives toil in misery for your olympic pleasure
:p

Funko
10-08-2010, 08:19:08
I went to Greece with a Van der Graaf generator and they called me Zeus!

MOBIUS
10-08-2010, 09:09:39
Dr Zeus?

paiktis
10-08-2010, 13:19:43
heat can freely go from hot to cold, but to go the other way round you have to force it back by spending some extra work and effort in it

That doesn't seem right!
Let's say you open the refrigerator door. Cold can freely go to heat, making the environment colder and there's no effort in that!
Of course you'd have to open the refrigerator door, but you can make someone else do it.

Cheshire Cat
10-08-2010, 13:56:50
Hey just sip your cool drinks

you needn't be bothered to know that "cold" does NOT exist
Heat exists
Cold is just not-heat (...I wonder what Parmenides would have said about that)
so it's not cold moving - it's heat moving the other way round

Cheshire Cat
10-08-2010, 13:59:45
I went to Greece with a Van der Graaf generator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Graaf_Generator) and they called me Zeus!

this explanis a lot
they interviewed you for their front guitarist spot, and decided to go without

Lurker
10-08-2010, 15:48:25
Funko's post could definitely be part of the lyrics of a song.