PDA

View Full Version : Things to see in Europe...

Greg W
04-07-2010, 09:50:51
So. I may very well be traveling to Europe later in the year. Just when will depend on when I sell my place. So, what are some places that really should be seen?

Last time I was there I took a 4? 6? week coach tour of Europe, so off the top of my head I have been to:
Amsterdam - liked it, nice city, friendly people, interesting window shopping. ;) Saw the van Gough museum and was bored within 5 mins - too brown.

Rhine River Cruise - not bad, but I have better things to do than sit on a boat. You can't really visit anything unless it stops. And then we only really visited a clock shop.

Ulm - Er. Nice church spire, highest in Europe in fact. But only a quick stop so didn't see much.

Innsbruck - the city itself was nothing special, but I loved the scenery. The Austrian alps, the countryside, the houses were all so beautiful. Scenery wise, the most beautiful place I visited.

Venice - Awesome place to visit. Loved everything about Venice, it is such a beautiful (albeit smelly) city.

Rome - Spent my entire time there visiting the Colosseum and the Palantine Hill. Do love my Ancient History, so visiting Rome and seeing Roman Ruins was awesome.

Salerno - Lovely place to spend a day relaxing and swimming in the Mediterranean. Apparently good shopping or something, didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to that.

Pompeii - Roman ruins that have been somewhat preserved by volcanic ash. What's not to like.

Pisa - Saw the tower and the church next to it and that was cool. Didn't seem much else to see really.

Florence - from memory. Leather markets or something. Had some cool buildings, statues and the like too.

Monaco - Lovely city, lovely views of the Med. Expensive as all buggery though.

Grenoble - Er, struggling to remember anything about Grenoble. must have been exciting.

Geneva - Can't remember an awful lot of Geneva to be honest. just remember that I wished I was in the alps instead.

Paris - Didn't really find Paris all that exciting TBH. However the palace of Louis XVI the Sun King at Versailles was awesome. Notre Dame was pretty cool too.

I also spent 2 weeks driving around Britain. London - Windsor - Stonehenge - Tintagel - Bath - Chester - Conwy(?) - Snowdonia National Park - Manchester - Sterling - Edinburgh - Loch Ness - Eilean Donan Castle - Balloch - a ruined abbey whose name I forget - York - Woodstock - London.

Awesome trip, driving in a hire car all the way, staying in B&Bs.

So, what else do I really need to see? Things I love to see include:
Ancient ruins. Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc.

Castles - I do like a good castle. On my last trip I saw London Tower, Windsor, Tintagel, Conwy (not the name of the castle), Sterling, Edinburgh, some ruins on the shore of Loch Ness, Eilean Donan... And I think that was about it.

Churches - I did love places like Westminster Abbey, Notre Dame, that spire in Ulm (well, there was a church attached to it) etc.

Great scenery - such as the Austrian Alps, the Scottish Highlands and Lochs, even just the English countryside was lovely.

Historical buildings, such as seen at Venice for instance.

Things I have in mind include:
Ireland - My mother's family emigrated (or were locked in chains and deported, I don't know) from there. But what should I see in Ireland?

Scotland - My father's family trace their ancestry to here. Only 3 generations ago, so no convicts unfortunately. I would like to see some more of the north, maybe some more lochs, maybe some of the Inner Hebrides or the like.

Wales - Snowdonia was so beautiful that I think going back and seeing more would be good. As would maybe some more of the castles.

England - Not entirely sure what else to see here. Though I would like to see more of Bath, visit Avebury and visit some of the better preserved parts of Hadrian's wall.

Eastern Europe - places like Prague, Vienna (I know, not really East), parts of Greece where I can see some good Greek ruins, Istanbul... Not really sure where else to go visit.

That's kind of a starting point anyway. I have vague ideas about countries I'd like to go visit, especially from old convos with friends who had done it themselves, just not many ideas of what to see once I am there. So,any help would be much appreciated.

Note that I am likely to be there during Autumn - Winter. So that may change destinations somewhat, especially as i come from a hot country and barely ever see snow. Though, yes, I have spent time skiing many years ago now. Oh, and yes, I have already been told that England is likely to have another snow white-out like last year.

Debaser
04-07-2010, 10:46:42
Sounds like The Vatican would be right up your street.

Provost Harrison
04-07-2010, 11:07:29
Well I seem to be spending most of my time in Pompeii as I am working on a project very close to there (although I am currently spending the weekend in Sorrento), very beautiful area. In fact I am just going to head towards Salerno now (along the Amalfi Coast).

And of course, London...you must do lots of London when in the UK. And Hull. Hull is a magnificent city. Such beauty, such culture...

Greg W
04-07-2010, 11:28:03
Oh yeah, did the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and all that. Was absolutely amazed by the hand painted maps they had in the Vatican of Italy, not to mention the Sistine Chappel.

Sorry, hard to remember to say all the stuff I saw, it was about 10 years ago now. :cute:

Also spent about 4-5 days sightseeing in London. London tower, Westminster Abbey, the .... Museum (can't remember it's name, lol), Lords and probably a few other places I can't remember right now.

Hull? :lol:

paiktis
04-07-2010, 15:55:18
Well in Greece in my mind there are two kind of vacations (not that you can't combine). The one is the islands. That's a world of its own, you can choose to go to cosmopolitan ones to the more quiet, alone, sirene ones.

And then there's Athens. The things to see in that city can well be seen in approx/ two days I thnk. The paramount is the Acropolis, that's easy, you can go with the metro. Near there is an ancient theater, called the herodion, it is an experience to watch something there (a play, or maybe some music show) you sit where the ancients sat :) (and have a aweinspiring view).

After seeing the acropolis (take water and food with you BEFORE you go there because if you buy there, they will rob you blind!) and see the theater (and maybe come back at night for a show) you can take a stroll in the street known as herodus attikus, which is re-made and it is next to the acropolis.

Then again with the metro you can go to monastiraki and see the old town. Go to the roman market and see the ancient clock! take a stroll in plaka. that's the old city. there are also very very old churches there.

Apart from that, there is not much else i can think, ruins wise in athens. all others is clubbing night life and cement.

Delphi and ancient Epidauros are couple of hours away from athens. So either with rented car or with bus it is very well worth your time to visit them too. They are at the peloponese. Delphi, the oracle, not much to say. Epidauros is a very large ancient theater. You have to ask though if they let people in only during plays or music shows.

Greg W
04-07-2010, 16:14:59
I had heard that there was very little to see in Athens itself in terms of ruins. I once watched a show which showed some great Greek ruins. May have been Epidauros, I honestly can't remember. I just vaguely remember that it was in the Peloponnese region, so that could be it.

I also remember seeing another show which showed some great ruins on one of the Islands. That one I have no idea which Island it was, though I vaguely recall something about it having religious links.

I loved my Greek history in High School though. Athens, Sparta, Corinth and the rest of the city states, the Delian league, the wars with Persia, battles at Thermopylae, Plataea, Salamis, etc. And then later onto Phillip and Alexander. So, yeah, sitting in that little theater sounds great. Even if I wouldn't understand a thing that was being said. ;)

Beta1
04-07-2010, 16:28:46
UK castles - Banburgh - near Lindisfarn, loads and loads in wales that are impressive. Warwick is quite touristy, kennilworth (about 10 miles from Warwick) is more historical.

the black country living museum, in dudley is cool as a general history thing.

If you want to see castles in the UK its probably worth your time getting a membership of english heritage - most of the big castles are run by them then you get in free.

The whole of SW london is worth a trip. Start in Wimbledon (well southfields) at the tennis club museum, head through wimbeldon village and the common, richmond park, through Kingston and out towards Hampton Court. Or from Richmond park north towards Kew gardens, Syon Park and a load of historic houses on the river. Best done on a bike and back on the train.

mr_B
04-07-2010, 18:33:18
reading is awesome
it has a ruine and several pubs

Drekkus
04-07-2010, 19:38:23
Everyone has to visit Paris at least once, I guess.

Spain has some nice places. Barcalona of course. But if you're into history and churches, you should visit Cordoba, Granada and Seville.
Eastern Europe is nice as well, Prague especially.

Provost Harrison
04-07-2010, 19:53:21
Hull? :lol:

You may knock it but...

...actually you may knock it, it's shite...I know, I'm from there :lol:

Provost Harrison
04-07-2010, 19:55:13
Actually I'd like to do Athens at some point. I was suggesting going there to some friends but, alas, I was overruled in favour of Amsterdam :zzz:

(No offence to Amsterdam, it's a great place but I have done it to death. And don't read too much into that :D)

MOBIUS
04-07-2010, 21:42:56
Clearly you have to come to Cardiff then!

If you come in autumn you can see Wales Vs Australia in the autumn internationals at the Millennium Stadium!

Not to mention several of the best and most interesting castles in the country, loads of Roman stuff and tons of fantastic scenery!

RedFred
05-07-2010, 03:27:57
"Didn't really find Paris all that exciting TBH"

:drekkus:

I must have visited a different Paris in an alternate universe.

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 10:07:05
Paris, Ontario? Apparently less exciting than London, Ontario...

There was a Berlin, Ontario. But its name got changed in WWI to Kitchener. Funnily enough, I know someone who lives in Kitchener.

Greg W
05-07-2010, 13:36:13
"Didn't really find Paris all that exciting TBH"

:drekkus:

I must have visited a different Paris in an alternate universe.Everyone finds different things interesting... What did you like about Paris?

Greg W
05-07-2010, 13:41:37
Clearly you have to come to Cardiff then!

If you come in autumn you can see Wales Vs Australia in the autumn internationals at the Millennium Stadium!

Not to mention several of the best and most interesting castles in the country, loads of Roman stuff and tons of fantastic scenery!No idea when I'll be there. It will likely either be in September/October or possibly more likely, early next year. Will depend on how quick I can get some renovations done to my place and get it sold. I'd prefer sooner rather than later personally.

Can you point me towards any of the "Roman stuff"? Websites or just general locations would be cool.

Mr. Bas
05-07-2010, 18:52:13
It seems you've done plenty of Italy already. I can't recommend much of the UK, I've only been to London, Reading and Swansea there. But some other places you might consider going to:

Spain - Barcelona and Madrid are both cool, big cities to visit. If you want more relaxed, smaller, but beautiful places to go to, I can recommend Salamanca and Segovia, both roughly in the neighborhood of Madrid. I've heard that both Granada and Sevilla are well worth a visit too, but I can't vouch for that myself.
Portugal is pretty nice too. I can recommend Lisbon, but I can recommend Coimbra even more. A very pretty university town, with lots of nice historical sights.
Prague is awesome, you should really give it a try. While you're in the neighborhood, also go to Berlin which I presonally have a strong weak spot for. I liked Munich, Freiburg and Nuremberg in Germany as well, I'm not quite so keen on the more northern German cities which have mostly been shot to hell in WW II. Cologne, for example, was rather disappointing.
Belgium is the shit. Go to Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, Leuven. They're brilliant.
In the Netherlands, besides Amsterdam, Utrecht and Groningen are great places to visit.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-07-2010, 21:48:57
Prague is an extremely good bet. Other worthwhile bits of central/eastern Europe include Krakow, Gdansk, Budapest, Bucharest (not for the stuff you want though, mostly for the nice people and modernist/art deco architecture) and a lot of pretty places in Transylvania between the last two. Apparently there's a lot of good stuff in Croatia as well but I've not been there.

Have you considered Scandinavia any? We're expensive, and it might not be the best time of the year, but Stockholm and Copenhagen and Helsinki are all awesome. Tallin/Riga too, and supposedly Vilnius.

Greg W
06-07-2010, 01:49:31
I had thought of Scandinavia, yeah, but was a little worried that that time of year may not be the best. I mean, I don't mind snow, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy not being able to get away from it. ;)

Seem to be getting quite a few recommendations for Spain too. Thinking about it, I guess that there"d be a lot of historical stuff in Spain. Wasn't really a country I'd given much consideration to tbh. What are some of the things that made it such a great place to visit?

I also have a friend from Croatia (or was it Serbia - I better not get that wrong) and she recommended it highly. Really should talk to her about that region.

Funko
06-07-2010, 07:50:24
Prague and Budapest are definitely worth a look. Prague is v. touristy, and a bit seedy in places now, but still has tons of really amazing old stuff and great beer/food. Budapest seems like more of a richer working city, also really good.

Croatia is supposed to be great too, especially the coast. Haven't been there though.

Bas mentioned Belgium, I loved Ghent, loads of old shit there, and a castle as well.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
06-07-2010, 12:14:00

Castles - I do like a good castle. On my last trip I saw London Tower, Windsor, Tintagel, Conwy (not the name of the castle), Sterling, Edinburgh, some ruins on the shore of Loch Ness, Eilean Donan... And I think that was about it.

Churches - I did love places like Westminster Abbey, Notre Dame, that spire in Ulm (well, there was a church attached to it) etc.

Great scenery - such as the Austrian Alps, the Scottish Highlands and Lochs, even just the English countryside was lovely.

Besides Belgium, southern France (Nimes, Arles, Orange etc) may be interesting for you.

In Not-Cangaroo-land, we have the scenery, the churches and the castles. Churches depends what you like, not too much medieval stuff is left. For castles, a few 100m from my workplace is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohensalzburg_Castle (the german version has several more pics)

It's one of the largest medieval/renaissance castles in Europe.

Not far from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burghausen_Castle or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Hohenwerfen

Further stuff: http://www.altemauern.info/3_bsr.htm or http://www.travelwriter.at/098/043/schloesser-burgen-oesterreich.shtml

There must be several hundred castles left, some of the smaller ones are used as hotels.

Mr. Bas
06-07-2010, 14:16:01
I've heard good stories about both Serbia and Croatia, but I've been to neither, so i can't really judge on that.

mr_B
06-07-2010, 14:42:43
So. I may very well be traveling to Europe later in the year. Just when will depend on when I sell my place. So, what are some places that really should be seen?

Last time I was there I took a 4? 6? week coach tour of Europe, so off the top of my head I have been to:
Amsterdam - liked it, nice city, friendly people, interesting window shopping. ;) Saw the van Gough museum and was bored within 5 mins - too brown.

Rhine River Cruise - not bad, but I have better things to do than sit on a boat. You can't really visit anything unless it stops. And then we only really visited a clock shop.

Ulm - Er. Nice church spire, highest in Europe in fact. But only a quick stop so didn't see much.

Innsbruck - the city itself was nothing special, but I loved the scenery. The Austrian alps, the countryside, the houses were all so beautiful. Scenery wise, the most beautiful place I visited.

Venice - Awesome place to visit. Loved everything about Venice, it is such a beautiful (albeit smelly) city.

Rome - Spent my entire time there visiting the Colosseum and the Palantine Hill. Do love my Ancient History, so visiting Rome and seeing Roman Ruins was awesome.

Salerno - Lovely place to spend a day relaxing and swimming in the Mediterranean. Apparently good shopping or something, didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to that.

Pompeii - Roman ruins that have been somewhat preserved by volcanic ash. What's not to like.

Pisa - Saw the tower and the church next to it and that was cool. Didn't seem much else to see really.

Florence - from memory. Leather markets or something. Had some cool buildings, statues and the like too.

Grenoble - Er, struggling to remember anything about Grenoble. must have been exciting.

Geneva - Can't remember an awful lot of Geneva to be honest. just remember that I wished I was in the alps instead.

Paris - Didn't really find Paris all that exciting TBH. However the palace of Louis XVI the Sun King at Versailles was awesome. Notre Dame was pretty cool too.

I also spent 2 weeks driving around Britain. London - Windsor - Stonehenge - Tintagel - Bath - Chester - Conwy(?) - Snowdonia National Park - Manchester - Sterling - Edinburgh - Loch Ness - Eilean Donan Castle - Balloch - a ruined abbey whose name I forget - York - Woodstock - London.

Ireland - My mother's family emigrated (or were locked in chains and deported, I don't know) from there. But what should I see in Ireland?

Scotland - My father's family trace their ancestry to here. Only 3 generations ago, so no convicts unfortunately. I would like to see some more of the north, maybe some more lochs, maybe some of the Inner Hebrides or the like.

Wales - Snowdonia was so beautiful that I think going back and seeing more would be good. As would maybe some more of the castles.

England - Not entirely sure what else to see here. Though I would like to see more of Bath, visit Avebury and visit some of the better preserved parts of Hadrian's wall.

Eastern Europe - places like Prague, Vienna (I know, not really East), parts of Greece where I can see some good Greek ruins, Istanbul... Not really sure where else to go visit.

That's kind of a starting point anyway. I have vague ideas about countries I'd like to go visit, especially from old convos with friends who had done it themselves, just not many ideas of what to see once I am there. So,any help would be much appreciated.

Note that I am likely to be there during Autumn - Winter. So that may change destinations somewhat, especially as i come from a hot country and barely ever see snow. Though, yes, I have spent time skiing many years ago now. Oh, and yes, I have already been told that England is likely to have another snow white-out like last year.So. I may very well be traveling to Europe later in the year. Just when will depend on when I sell my place. So, what are some places that really should be seen?

Note that I am likely to be there during Autumn - Winter. So that may change destinations somewhat, especially as i come from a hot country and barely ever see snow. Though, yes, I have spent time skiing many years ago now. Oh, and yes, I have already been told that England is likely to have another snow white-out like last year.

Darkstarian post
I'm shocked

Back!
06-07-2010, 14:44:37
I've heard good stories about both Serbia and Croatia, but I've been to neither, so i can't really judge on that.I heard a story that when you had to drive north-south thru Yugosalvia, there were no highways.
Just one normal road, all-bends
There were a lot of open lorries transporting watermelons
thanks to the drivers skill at every bend one or two fell down on the road and broke open
so when you were thirsty you just had to stop and pick up at the edge of the road a juicy freshly fallen and readily open watermelon

MDA
06-07-2010, 15:19:28
They call them MarioKarts.

paiktis
06-07-2010, 16:12:47
I heard a story that when you had to drive north-south thru Yugosalvia, there were no highways.
Just one normal road, all-bends
There were a lot of open lorries transporting watermelons
thanks to the drivers skill at every bend one or two fell down on the road and broke open
so when you were thirsty you just had to stop and pick up at the edge of the road a juicy freshly fallen and readily open watermelon

lol....

I've crossed ex - yugoslavia with my family a couple of times.
The roads were ok... hmm maybe judging from greek standards! but there were some issues especially when you went south that you drove at unbelievably steep upward roads... it is an experience.... when in front of you is a paleolithic VW van (probably loot from the germans) that simply cannot pull its weight and climb that impossibly steep upward road and starts backing down towards your car... and cliffs all around....

another experience was the gas stations. Since we were passing through we couldnt really have yugoslavian money. there were coupons that we gave to the gas stations. since these were pre-paied, if you didn't pay attention the guys would keep pumping gas even when your reservoir was full, gas spilling out liberally (they wanted the coiupons, and it wasnt their gas...)

the most hideous was one though. police when they saw western license plates they'd stop you and literally rob you blind, they'd take cash, or even coffee packages if you had any or even tampons for women... it was a bit better in serbia when they found out we were greeks but the other states was robbery. high way roberry lol... one even asked if we had a VCR.... lots of VCRS in greece we told him... ok he said and he left.

another time i wanted some orange juice i went in the gas station and they charged me like 100 times more.... my grandpa went inside and started talking some kind of greekserbianitalian language of his own.... they gave me the orange juice for free.... :)

paiktis
06-07-2010, 16:42:04
oh. i don't want to scare you Greg or anyother from going there.. that was in the '80's, couple of years before civil war broke out in yugoslavia... now things are i hope different.
i went to zagreb not long ago (but by plane...) and it was adorable. like a small provincial city stuck in more... pure and humane and backwards fashion. adorable. wonderful buildings.

one thing i learned though lol... i just got off the bus that took you from the airport to the city and it was snowing, it was beautiful... snow all around, that's so rare in greece.

so there i was just gazing around and taking all the sites in, then some polite drunkard approaches me and says with a big smile in his face "italiano?"

i say no greco!

then.. wow (chill) he frowns... but then he did give me directions and was polite and even talked to me about sparta...
it is logical as a country we were supportive of serbia and kids of my age in croatia had died not so long ago...

but i just said italian words from that point on, and everything was peachy in zagreb :D

mr_B
06-07-2010, 16:51:58
HOLLAND!!!!

Immortal Wombat
06-07-2010, 17:20:27
Croatia is nice. From what little I've seen of the country, I think you'd enjoy Dubrovnik, and seeing it off-season will probably improve it. If you do go, try to get out to some of the islands as well. Korcula and Hvar are interesting little towns (Korcula claims, on rather thin evidence, to be the birthplace of Marco Polo). And the views from sea level are magnificent.

My only knowledge of Serbia comes from spending 12 unscheduled hours in a Belgrade railway siding: don't rely on the trains.

I'd third(?) Budapest, could take or leave Prague (I tend to be disappointed by large cities, ymmv), would skip Bucharest - the rest of Romania is considerably more pleasant. Transylvania plays up the Dracula angle quite a bit, and there are a variety of castles and ruins from the anti-Ottoman period.

Sounds like you should go back to the Alps though. Get into Switzerland a bit. Or Slovenia.

MOBIUS
09-07-2010, 11:31:09
No idea when I'll be there. It will likely either be in September/October or possibly more likely, early next year. Will depend on how quick I can get some renovations done to my place and get it sold. I'd prefer sooner rather than later personally.

Can you point me towards any of the "Roman stuff"? Websites or just general locations would be cool.

I was replying to this when my PC shagged out on me and I lost everything...

If you decide on later, then Australia play Wales in the Autumn Internationals in November...

September you have the Great British Cheese Festival at Cardiff Castle, which is awesome!:beer:

Roman stuff:

Cardiff Castle is built on a Roman fort. The place is awesome and slap bang in the middle of town: http://www.cardiffcastle.com/

Caerleon (lit. Fortress of the Legion') is about 10 miles away, this was one of only three legionary fortresses in Roman Britain and the site has an excellently preserved amphitheatre, baths and the only excavated barracks in Europe (including Italy!!!). There's a good museum there: http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/roman/ Military Spectacular: http://www.flickr.com/photos/museumwales/sets/72157622028746938/

Caerwent (Venta Silurum): Roman town, tribal capital of the Silures (those guys who had a whole geologic period named after them!), some of the best preserved walls in the UK and Northern Europe! Forum, Basilica etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venta_Silurum

Newport Museum: collections of Roman artifacts from both Caerleon and Caerwent are housed here. http://www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.cfm?fuseaction=museumheritage.museum&contentid=CONT461496

Together they represent some of the best and richest Roman sites to be found anywhere in the UK!:beer::beer::beer:

Greg W
09-07-2010, 15:17:20
Thanks. I'll have a look at that info over the weekend. Thank you for the effort to put it together, much appreciated. :beer:

And thanks everyone for your information too. I have a few things to go on now, thanks. :beer:

Funko
09-07-2010, 15:21:47
The ruins in Reading are currently fenced off. Don't come here! :nervous:

Aredhran
09-07-2010, 15:25:22

You can come visit me in Geneva, you're welcome to stay at my place (if you behave = NO :funko: )

There are quite many things you can do here, I guess it all depends on when you come, and what you like to do... That said, if you plan to be here in the winter, one nice thing about itis that the city is less than 1 hr drive from a bunch of nice ski resorts...

MOBIUS
23-08-2010, 09:18:46
BTW Greg, this just in:

Monumental discovery

11 August 2010

Reconstruction of Caerleon in the Roman period, showing the newly discovered monumental suburb (© 7reasons)
Archaeologists from the University have made a major new discovery that will change the way we think about how Britain was conquered and occupied by the Roman army almost 2,000 years ago.

A complex of monumental buildings has been located outside the Roman fortress at Caerleon in South Wales, which is likely to lead to a complete rethink of one of the country’s most important Roman sites.

The discovery was fortuitous - students from the School of History, Archaeology and Religion were learning how to use geophysical equipment in fields outside the fortress that were not thought to have been extensively occupied in the Roman period. 10 days later, the students and their tutors had revealed the outlines of a series of huge buildings squeezed into the ground between the amphitheatre and the River Usk.

Dr Peter Guest, Senior Lecturer in Roman Archaeology at the School said: “Caerleon is one of the best-known Roman sites in Britain, so it was a great surprise to realise that we had found something completely new and totally unexpected. We’ve discovered the remains of several very large buildings shown remarkably clearly on the geophysical surveys completed by our students.

“It is difficult to be certain about what we have been found because nothing like this has been discovered in Roman Britain before. The buildings’ ground plans suggest that they were of some importance. We think that they could have included markets, administrative buildings like town halls, bath-houses, store buildings, or even possibly temples. The biggest is enormous and must be one of the largest buildings known from Roman Britain. We can only guess what it was for, but at the moment we’re working on the idea that it had something to do with a harbour on the river, although it does look uncannily like a residential villa building – if that’s the case it was built on a palatial scale.

“The layout and scale of the buildings look like they should be at the centre of a town or city,” continued Dr Guest, “but here at Caerleon we seem to have the central public spaces without the surrounding city – where are the people who would have used these buildings? Perhaps they were intended for the legionaries of the Second Augustan, but it is also possible that this is the first evidence for Roman plans to develop the fortress at Caerleon into a major settlement in western Britain – plans that for some reason never came to fruition. That’s the great thing about an archaeological discovery like this – lots of new questions that we just don’t have definite answers to at the moment.”

Caerleon is one of only three permanent legionary fortresses in Britain. The other fortresses at Chester and York are much more difficult to excavate because their remains are mostly buried under cities. Caerleon provides the only opportunity to study the Roman legions in Britain.

The new discovery was made as part of the School’s ongoing excavations at the site. Over the last four years, staff and students have uncovered eight previously unknown barrack blocks, three large granaries, a monumental metal workshop and a very large store building. On occasions, members of the public have also helped with the excavations.

Between 9 August and 17 September 2010, the team of archaeologists, along with staff and students from University College London (UCL) will be at Caerleon for their final season of excavation. Taking place near the site of the new discovery, the team hope to uncover yet more information about the fortress and its inhabitants.

“We will be spending six weeks in Caerleon this summer, excavating within the fortress walls with colleagues from UCL. We hope to reveal yet more information about the fortress and its legion and I am sure that our work will produce some really exciting results,” said Dr Guest. “The dig is open to the public and we’d be delighted to see people coming along with family and friends to find out more about the work we are doing.”

Guided tours of the Priory Field excavation will be available twice daily (11 am and 2.30 pm, except Mondays) and the excavation is open throughout the Summer Bank Holiday weekend (28th – 30th August 2010). As well as tours, there will be displays of the latest finds, a ‘mini-dig’, and the chance to talk to archaeologists about how they excavate ancient sites.

To follow the fortunes of the archaeologists on the excavations in Caerleon this year, log on to the Dig Blog at: http://www.britarch.ac.uk/caf/wikka.php?wakka=CaerleonLegionaryFortress

I might pop along one day and check it out...:)

Greg W
23-08-2010, 14:53:55
Cool stuff. :beer:

Thanks for the offer, Red. I'll let you know (I missed that before somehow). :)

As for Funko... /rude :p

Right now i have no idea when I'll be coming over. I may try and squeeze time in in October - mid December, but that will depend on how quickly my place sells. Should be ready to go on the market in about 2 weeks. :beer:

MOBIUS
23-08-2010, 15:33:25
November = Australia Vs Wales at the Millennium Stadium!:beer::beer::beer:

Greg W
23-08-2010, 15:36:23
The way we're playing, it'd barely be worth watching! :(

MOBIUS
23-08-2010, 15:49:24
Oh come on, we're talking Northern Hemisphere rugby here...:nervous:

Greg W
23-08-2010, 15:51:01
It could be a case of which teams manages not to lose then...

Funko
23-08-2010, 15:58:06
Millennium Stadium is a great venue, and there will be loads of Aussies there (there always are in the UK fixtures). You should go.

Zopperoni
23-08-2010, 16:04:35
Castles you say? http://opentravel.com/blogs/15-amazing-castles-from-around-the-globe/

Greg W
23-08-2010, 16:10:29
Millennium Stadium is a great venue, and there will be loads of Aussies there (there always are in the UK fixtures). You should go.If I get over there in November. And if Mobius gets me a ticket. Then I will. :D

Thanks Zop, will check that out later. Bed time for me... :sleep:

Funko
23-08-2010, 16:11:01
And get him to take you to the curry place he took us afterwards too. :beer:

Vincent
25-08-2010, 20:40:53
So, what are some places that really should be seen?
me

mr_B
25-08-2010, 20:56:09
and the garden gnomes Vinny will show you.
btw i am not one of those

mr_B
25-08-2010, 20:58:01
So, what are some places that really should be seen?

my fridge

zmama
25-08-2010, 23:21:20
Nope your coffee maker is better!

zmama
25-08-2010, 23:22:38
me

True, Mad Squirrel did consider using a picture of you for her landscape painting !

Epic!

MDA
26-08-2010, 11:12:57
I thought Venom was the only one of us big enough to qualify as a landscape.

Funko
26-08-2010, 11:18:27
He's more of a continent.

MDA
26-08-2010, 11:20:14
Well, there are adult diapers and some decent medications to help with that.

jsorense
26-08-2010, 17:01:06
[QUOTE=Greg W;1015969]
Paris - Didn't really find Paris all that exciting TBH. However the palace of Louis XVI the Sun King at Versailles was awesome
[/LIST]

Louis the XIV was the 'Sun King' you illiterate no-nothing.:rolleyes:
And I would recommend Scandinavia, Copenhagen is wonderful. Suz and I also took the train from Helsinki to Saint Petersberg. Way cool.
Sweden and Norway are also very nice.:beer:

Greg W
27-08-2010, 15:20:25
[QUOTE=Greg W;1015969]
Paris - Didn't really find Paris all that exciting TBH. However the palace of Louis XVI the Sun King at Versailles was awesome
[/LIST]

And I would recommend Scandinavia, Copenhagen is wonderful. Suz and I also took the train from Helsinki to Saint Petersberg. Way cool.
Sweden and Norway are also very nice.:beer:1. It's called a typo (aka the "I" and "V" in the wrong order), bloody number Nazi!

2. Learn how to quote properly!

3. The term is "know-nothing" not "no-nothing"

And he calls me illiterate! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MDA
27-08-2010, 15:25:26
He should have played it safe and just called you a gay twat.

Greg W
27-08-2010, 15:46:24
Exactly! :beer:

MOBIUS
27-08-2010, 20:02:01
CG: The only place in the world where being called a gay twat is taken as a compliment...:D

Japher
27-08-2010, 22:53:39
that's 'cause we've all been called worse...

Greg W
26-11-2010, 15:09:52
Alright. The latest then. Looking at early Feb before I take the flight to the antipodes. This should hopefully avoid the worst of the cold weather, though I realise it's still going to be rather (or very) cold. Hopefully I can avoid any recurrences of:

http://www.cs4fn.org/geography/images/uksnow.jpg

Right now I am thinking:
- Egypt
- Roman North Africa (esp Tunisia and/or Libya)
- Maybe Jordan (as I have a friend from there who will show me around if I ask nicely)

In order. I figure about 2-3 weeks doing those tours. And then:
- U.K. (mostly Scotland and Wales, saw a lot of England last time)
- Ireland

Not necessarily in order. Not sure if I will have time for much more than that, will have to do some proper planning!

Tizzy
26-11-2010, 17:09:21
I'll be there... err... here!

MOBIUS
26-11-2010, 23:01:27
And they have a little green car to drive you around in... :cute:

Provost Harrison
29-11-2010, 21:12:30

Perhaps the French should've been more imaginitive with the naming of their monarchs :p

Greg W
04-03-2011, 06:25:19
Rough ETA is now flying to the UK around March 22nd/23rd. Am going to wait a little bit longer to see if my leg keeps improving or not. Vague itinerary is:
- a week in London (just the odd day here and there, not a solid week)
- 2 weeks in England
- a week in Scotland
- a week in Wales
- a few days on the Isle of Man
- 2-3 weeks in Ireland

The rest will depend on how much I am enjoying traveling by myself (never done that before) and how long I want to stay for or whether I want to come back to an upside down country again. And that's all roughly in order, too. Have been making some preliminary plans for Ireland on Facebook. Next (planning wise) will be England I think.

I would love to stop via Tunisia and Egypt on the way home, but I have no idea what the chances of that will be with the current situation. Will have to monitor that while I am in the UK.

There is some vague talk about maybe a Counterglow meet in London on April 2nd. I'm fairly flexible at this point, can pretty much make sure I have any particular time off.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
04-03-2011, 07:13:23
I'm fairly flexible at this point...

I bet your doctor would disagree.

Greg W
04-03-2011, 08:53:11
So would my physiotherapist.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-03-2011, 09:13:08
- a few days on the Isle of Man

It's shit. Don't bother.

I'll be stuck there all next week, and I'm not happy.

MOBIUS
04-03-2011, 11:11:58
Right now I am thinking:
- Egypt
- Roman North Africa (esp Tunisia and/or Libya)
- Maybe Jordan (as I have a friend from there who will show me around if I ask nicely)

It was YOUR fault all along!!! :D

Dyl Ulenspiegel
04-03-2011, 11:45:57
A revolutionary itinerary.

mr_B
04-03-2011, 12:07:16
:lol:

blame the Gaylord

Funko
04-03-2011, 12:11:20
Isle of Mann
I love man

Never gets old

MDA
04-03-2011, 12:13:25
<foking a man joke here>

Dyl Ulenspiegel
04-03-2011, 12:24:35
Isle of Fitness

mr_B
04-03-2011, 12:35:41
Isle of Mann
I love man

Never gets old

:lol:

Greg W
04-03-2011, 12:41:45
It's shit. Don't bother.

I'll be stuck there all next week, and I'm not happy.Seems pretty good on Top Gear.It was YOUR fault all along!!! :DYes, I was thinking that. If the peace in Northern Ireland suddenly breaks down, you'll know it was me.Isle of Mann
I love man

Never gets oldNever heard of that one.

Funko
04-03-2011, 13:32:48
Just wait 'till you've been here a while and every time you mention it I say "You love men! HAHA!"

Greg W
04-03-2011, 13:43:49
Just don't bend over when you say that. :p

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-03-2011, 15:07:21
Seems pretty good on Top Gear.

In the moments when you're driving around the hill roads in your high-powered performance car, and not stuck behind a caravan, it might be.

At every other time, it's a drizzly out-of-season run-down coastal resort with crap beaches and very little to do.

Lurker
04-03-2011, 16:05:13
British beaches have seasons?

Provost Harrison
04-03-2011, 16:12:04
British beaches have seasons?

Yes. We cycle through them all about every 3-4 hours.

mr_B
04-03-2011, 16:14:03
So why are you going Laz?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
04-03-2011, 16:24:04
money laundering

Lazarus and the Gimp
05-03-2011, 13:04:30
Yep.

Greg W
06-03-2011, 00:15:41
Wouldn't it be easier to just wash your money at home? :confused:

paiktis
06-03-2011, 11:12:47
You have to have the right detergent.

jsorense
07-03-2011, 01:09:27
Speaking on The Round Table, about a week ago I had a vivid and extended dream about returning to TRT for another reunion, of sorts. I remember wondering through a lot of different rooms, some with vaguely familiar faces, some not. The place was huge and I never got off of the first floor.
Am I prescience?
Am I nuts?
Are you willing me to come back? [probably to kill me]
Is it time to adjust my medication? Again?
Have any of you had similar dreams?
Is it an alien conspiracy?
Time for my pills, good night.

zmama
07-03-2011, 01:21:27
the answer is yes

Funko
07-03-2011, 08:58:19
I concur.

MDA
07-03-2011, 11:54:51
I scratch and grunt.

Tizzy
07-03-2011, 12:53:29
I'm not sure

zmama
07-03-2011, 12:53:43
Charming

Cheshire Cat
07-03-2011, 14:07:59
I had a vivid and extended dream about returning to TRT for another reunion

returning?

MOBIUS
07-03-2011, 14:53:50
- a week in Wales

Have you figured out what you want to see in Wales yet? When are you arriving? Have you transport? Have you sorted your accommodation?

Depending on dates etc, I might be able to help on some or all of those considerations...

Also, are we having a special CG meet for you? Is it this London thing on the 2nd? Am I really going to have to visit London two weekends in a row...? :clueless:

Funko
07-03-2011, 15:06:27
I got a message from Greg earlier saying his leg was playing up again and he's probably delaying his trip.

mr_B
07-03-2011, 16:08:52
you need two of those to visit the pubs in Reading

Mr. Bas
07-03-2011, 17:17:14
I'll be there!

Greg W
08-03-2011, 00:30:33
Yes, as Funko pointed out, my hip/leg has flared up again. And it's frustrating the bejeezers out of me! :bash:

Right now I am loathe to put a date on it, so I will just see how it goes. Grr.

MOBIUS
09-03-2011, 10:26:42
That's a bummer. :(

Get well soon mate.

Greg W
09-03-2011, 11:08:41
Thanks. :)

Worst thing was I was swapping messages with a friend of mine who is a hip specialist and his response once I told him the diagnosis was: Osteitis pubis is a bitch. From what you describe in second msg not labrum. Bad injury by sounds of it. Try and find physio who works with ice hockey or AFL as it is super common in those sports. Does take a lot of time.Excellent! :bash: :(

Lurker
09-03-2011, 17:26:20
I first read that as "swapping massages with a friend".

Immoral Wombat
09-03-2011, 23:12:23
I always found getting my pubic bone massaged set me up for the rest of the day.:smoke:

Greg W
15-03-2011, 07:30:27
Just FYI this has been put on indefinite hold. I'm not going to hang around for another 1-2-3 months waiting for this to hopefully improve. I'll just get on with life and do the trip some other time. It does suck, but I gave it a lot of thought and I think I have to do this. :(

Provost Harrison
15-03-2011, 21:12:28
Don't lie. You don't have a life :p

Greg W
15-03-2011, 22:55:13
I said "life" not "a life". Last I checked, I am still alive, despite not having a life.