PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age Origins

paiktis
01-07-2010, 19:06:17
(perfect lobotomy)

It is ok. If you loved Baldur's Gate then this is its spiritual aftermath. It has very good graphics, fast pacing battles (no ad&d rules, bioware's CRPGs become emancipated) and it is good. like a tranquility spell or a lobotomy. immerge and forget :D
It is not as good as balgur's gate though. Nothing will be as good as that, ever.

Beta1
02-07-2010, 17:13:08
I'm about 20 hours into this now and loving it. Got a bit confused early on thinking it was an elder scrolls style game but once i got my baldurs gate back head on I found it really good.

only complaint is I bought it on steam 2 days before they reduced the rpice by a third :(

Ellipsis
02-07-2010, 17:50:55
I preordered this and still haven't played through it. Since it came out I've replayed Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout and Icewind Dale instead. On to Planescape: Torment? I miss Black Isle :(...

Fistandantilus
02-07-2010, 17:53:42
Loved it. I think I liked more than BG2 actually.
Planescape: Torment remains the best tho :D

Beta1
02-07-2010, 19:38:16
Agreed, an absolutely blinding game. Apparently its available again from somewhere. Might have to have a hunt as I've lost my copy.

paiktis
02-07-2010, 23:39:24
Well I'm very pissed with the planescape situation because I've been looking for it for a long time and when I finally found it, my graphics card (who can very easily handle dragon age origins) can't cope with planescape torment...!
something happens and everything flickers...
I know it is a great game but unfortunately I haven't been able to play it. Just the beggining of it.

BTW I think I'm burned, I played for hours and hours DAO and now i close my eyes and i see people with numbers floating above their heads ../.. :D

Greg W
03-07-2010, 02:01:47
The problem I found with the game is that you really can't use a Tank/healer strategy. There's just so much damage dished out on your tank that you can't cope with a single healer. But then with two healers you can't take the enemy down quick enough.

Which leaves you needing to use either traps or pretty much the same magic routine (the old cone of cold or grease and fireball) every time. Basically come up with a strategy to incapacitate most of them then repeat a thousand times. I ended up finding it frustrating and boring in the end. :(

Beta1
03-07-2010, 08:45:29
Not had that problem yet - but I use 2 fighters, 1 mage, 1 rogue.

And a lot of healing potions.

Both fighters are reasonable tanks with reasonable damage, the rogue does ranged and the mage heals and does ranged/magic

Key is not letting one fighter take all the aggro.

Greg W
03-07-2010, 10:51:33
Yeah, but the "lot of healing potions" became annoying after a while, especially after you got caught in a dungeon for a long time with no way to restock. Even using potion making to make more it just got stupid. Maybe my problem was letting one fighter take all the aggro though. Probably a leftover from my old MMORPG days...

Beta1
03-07-2010, 15:06:20
did you use that tactics screen? setting your mage to auto party heal is quite usefull, then you just end up using loads of lyrium potions instead!

one thing I don;t get is having to buy empty flasks? What happens to all the flasks of the potions I use? Do I drink the contents and then eat the flask or something?

Greg W
03-07-2010, 15:24:34
I did, but I tended to find that he would leave the first heal late enough that my tank could get killed before his timer would reset to cast a 2nd! Not often, but it happened, so I usually ended up doing it manually.

Funko
05-07-2010, 07:45:04
I'm still working my way through this, started again yesterday after a 4 month break due to my hectic life. It's great. :beer:

Funko
05-07-2010, 07:48:22
I did, but I tended to find that he would leave the first heal late enough that my tank could get killed before his timer would reset to cast a 2nd! Not often, but it happened, so I usually ended up doing it manually.

You can edit the settings so he casts the heal when they've taken less damage.

I tend to just control the mage manually and let the rogue/warriors take care of themselves. They have easier tactics to set generally.

MDA
06-07-2010, 11:42:42
I finished the Architect expansion a couple of weeks ago - kind of an abrupt ending, but still good. Original campaign is still best. :beer:

Haven't had much trouble with grabbing and holding stuff. Gear that increases "healing taken" was broken last I checked, and doesn't actually do that.

Funko
14-07-2010, 11:38:14
Completed the normal story of this yesterday, after a big push in the last week. Was great. Nice that you can continue playing the last quests as you go on.

I want to get the Awakening expansion, but really annoyingly on PS3 it's only downloadable, at 31, every other platform you can buy a disc for 15 or so now it's reduced. Grrr.

Apparently PSN doesn't allow downloadable content that you can also buy on disc for some reason!

Funko
14-07-2010, 11:54:04
I think I'll have to play through again, there are SO MANY possible endings it's untrue.

SPOILERS

I refused Morrigan's offer to have Alistair impregnate her (I was female, I think if you're male you get to impregnate her), and Alistair died slaying the archdemon.

Fistandantilus
15-07-2010, 08:43:16
Well as Dragon Age 2 will use your final save game it's not a bad idea to replay it :p

Funko
15-07-2010, 08:57:01
I thought Dragon Age 2 was a brand new character?

Out of all possible endings, the one I finished on was pretty good from the PC point of view. For a start I wasn't dead.

Fistandantilus
15-07-2010, 09:08:01
You can only play a human character yes, ala Mass Effect.

Can't find the official source anymore but here (http://kotaku.com/5585473/dragon-age-2-following-in-mass-effects-footsteps) they seems to report that.

You'll also be able to carry over your save game from the first title, the events you forged in Dragon Age determining how things turn out in the sequel

Not sure if they then dropped the idea.

Funko
15-07-2010, 09:13:42
Oh ok wow. Would be good if they did.

There are some fairly fundamental things though, if Morrigan does or doesn't get the demon child etc.

I am disappointed by the decision to have a named fully voiced character. I understand it but it's a shame... hopefully there'll be other characters to name?

Me: "I'll get to give Bitey (the dog) a new name on the next time... "
Tizzy: "So what will you call the pet rock next time?"
Me: "Rocky II!"

I love shit like that.

edit: you might not have got the pet rock unless you downloaded the stone prisoner and the recent gifts free update. It was obviously called Rocky, like I'm sure 95% of them were.

Fistandantilus
15-07-2010, 09:21:37
:D

Beta1
15-07-2010, 17:49:03
I think I'll have to play through again, there are SO MANY possible endings it's untrue.

SPOILERS

I refused Morrigan's offer to have Alistair impregnate her (I was female, I think if you're male you get to impregnate her), and Alistair died slaying the archdemon.

WTF?

I must have missed that option - but then I was too busy chatting up Leianna.

Alistair had a hissy fit and stomped off after I spared Loghain.

Apparently theres some character called shale? Never ran into him/her at all.

Is the DLC worth getting - I can see myself replaying this a few times.

MDA
15-07-2010, 18:13:05
Shale is the Stone Prisoner, part of a for-pay official addon.

Beta1
15-07-2010, 19:19:58
ah that explains it - I knew I had missed a few side quests but I couldn't figure out how I could have missed a whole NPC

Funko
15-07-2010, 19:26:16
If you were female and Alistair had left I guess that option wasn't there. I think if the PC is male you get the chance to do it.

I had a lot of party members, but I haven't got the trophy for having all companions. Not sure who I was missing. But I also had gifts out of the new gift pack that no-one wanted. There were 10 of them so I guess I'm just missing 1.

I had:

Alistair, Morigan, Leilana, Gwyn, Sten, The Mubari Hound, Zevran, Oghren, Shale

The downloadable stuff is pretty good but I think I went through it when my characters were too high level, it was a bit easy.

Fistandantilus
15-07-2010, 19:29:20
You missed Loghain?

Funko
15-07-2010, 19:30:58
He was killed by Alistair in a duel at the Landsmeet. That explains that.

Fistandantilus
15-07-2010, 19:35:59
He's uber annoying anyway and everyone hates him so, good choice :lol:

Beta1
15-07-2010, 21:57:47
so what choices did people make in the end game run-up?

I ended up putting annora on the throne, sparing Loghain (which I now think was a mistake as he is a miserable git, accepting morigans offer (who wouldn't) and going off travelling with Leilana.

most of the time I had alistair, leilana and morrigan as party members, mostly because I found the conversations between them so amusing - the bit where leilana threatens to take morrigan shopping is brilliantly written. Morrigan turned into a total combat nightmare too - the spell combos sleep/waking nightmare and her cone of cold/stone fist pairs are great at dealling with situations where you are outnumbered. Never found the big area effect spells that great - too much friendly fire

Beta1
15-07-2010, 21:59:27
If you were female and Alistair had left I guess that option wasn't there. I think if the PC is male you get the chance to do it.

In the end she offered to bunk up with loghain - buggered if he was getting that reward after all the grief he caused.

Funko
16-07-2010, 08:02:11
Yeah, Alistair, Morrigan and Leilana mainly for me too. Leilana's summoned creatures at high level were like an extra tank.

Shale is an absolute monster as a tank though. Huge damage and massive constitution.

I also took all the others out occasionally to test them out or give them good gifts or gear I'd got for them though.

I put Alistair on the throne, but he died slaying the Archdemon so Anora got it. And as my reward I gave lands to the Dalish (which I was).

If you are a human noble apparently you get the chance to be the king yourself by marrying Anora. I assume just a male one, not sure if they have gay marriage in Denerim.

MDA
16-07-2010, 11:08:38
First time through, I spared Loghain and put Anora on the throne. I died killing the demon, but with those two in charge, it was probably a mercy.

Mostly I had Alistair and Morrigan, with either the other mage-lady (was that Gwyn?) or Sten. At least I think I did. :)

Venom
19-07-2010, 13:22:36
Read an article about Dragon Age 2 and it definitely is a new character, but the trick is the events run parallel to the story from the first game. So your choices form the backdrop for the events in the second game. And I suppose impact other parts of the world, and hence this new character.

Funko
19-07-2010, 13:34:46
That is quite nice.

Started again with a second character yesterday. It groups your saves by character so I assume you can choose what character to import (both into the expansion and into DO2)?