PDA

View Full Version : Final or Fail for England!

Greg W
15-05-2010, 04:33:16
An Australian sports site (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27125960-23215,00.html?from=public_rss) quoting Capello on a French news site regarding his expectations for England in the 2010 WC.Fabio Capello admits England were a spent force when he took charge but the Italian now expects nothing less than a 2010 FIFA World Cup final appearance from his rejuvenated squad.

When Capello arrived in England two years ago he found a group of players whose confidence was at rock bottom after their failure to qualify for Euro 2008 under Steve McClaren.
"For me, not arriving in the World Cup final would be a failure," he added.No pressure there for the English from their coach. Especially considering that England are currently only ranked #8 in the world.1 Brazil
2 Spain
3 Portugal
4 Netherlands
5 Italy
6 Germany
7 Argentina
8 EnglandEven regardless of your thoughts on the FIFA rankings, that's still a big expectation.

Funko
15-05-2010, 08:18:51
Would anyone (supporting one of the top nations) want their coach saying "Oh, I expect we'll struggle to get through the second round."

One of his jobs is to inspire confidence in the team.

Greg W
15-05-2010, 10:59:32
Not at all. Semi final or fail I could understand. Final or fail, however...

Assuming they top their group, they then face one of Australia/Serbia/Ghana. Something wrong if they don't win that one.

They then face, say France or Nigeria in the Quarters.

Then Brazil or the Netherlands in the Semis. And this is the game that I have a bit of a problem expecting them to progress through. They're expected to win this? I dunno, may just be the way I look at the statement, but losing to Brazil is barely a failure in my books. /shrug

Funko
15-05-2010, 12:31:35
We could meet Germany in 2nd Round if either of us don't win group. I think theirs is one of the most interesting groups in the tournament. No guarantee they'll win it.

France have a great record against us in recent games.

I reckon Portugal might win Brazil's group, and Brazil go out to Spain.

Use this to predict the results: quite handy

http://www.windrawwin.com/worldcupcalculator.asp

Greg W
15-05-2010, 17:28:31
I just downloaded one of the Excel spreadsheets. :cute:

But, yeah, anyone could conceivably finish top of our group (albeit with a lot of luck).

Walrus Feeder
16-05-2010, 12:29:01
I think England have to win our group. That should give us a slightly easier ride to at least the Semis. I don't think we have a lot to fear from the African nations this time around if we face the likes of Ghana or Nigeria in the knockout stages but we need to keep our key players fit and create a lot of chances from play as that's what we struggle to do against some of the better teams, especially if we go behind.

Back!
17-05-2010, 06:47:53
I reckon Portugal might win Brazil's group, and Brazil go out to Spain.

Use this to predict the results: quite handy

http://www.windrawwin.com/worldcupcalculator.asp

indeed
a quick simulation yielded these semis for me:

England v Portugal
Argentina v Spain

with England getting past Ghana and then Nigeria in KO rounds

Brazil draw Protugal in the group and get 2nd on goals scored
Spain take out first Brazil choking their midfield, and then a 10-men Italy on penalties after a goalless draw

:D

Funko
17-05-2010, 07:57:46
I think the way I did it it was England vs France in QF, we'd struggle in that game.

I think England have to win our group.

Totally. On the plus side we do have a very winnable group.

Also, my company's 10 year celebrations are on the day of the wednesday semi-final. I think that topping the group ensures England can't be in that one so I don't have to miss it whatever happens (the company thing, no way I'd miss an England semi-final).