PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Funko
24-04-2010, 15:14:32
So, we're in San Francisco. Important to try the local beers! Soon after landing we popped down to the local corner shop by where we were staying to buy beer and it turns out to be a classy off licence where you can also buy burgers and various hot deli stuff. Anyway among all the Euro imports they had loads of local stuff I thought we should try.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA (http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/torpedo.html)

This is fantastic, really tasty, almost Belgian tasting but very smooth. We didn't realise it was 7.2% ABV

Redhook ESB (http://www.redhook.com/Default.aspx?p=27)

It's a bit weird having ales like an IPA ESB brewed to be cold and fizzy, but the ESB was even more weird, but still very nice. Again more like a darker belgian beer than what we in the UK would understand by an ESB and much more subtle on the hops than equivalent UK beers, or maybe that's just being chilled.

Anchor Steam (http://www.anchorbrewing.com/)

I really liked this extremely drinkable, refreshing but tasty.

All very good so far.

Lurker
25-04-2010, 14:35:51
Be on the lookout for some of the Oregon beers (DeSchutes brewery beers being a great example) while you're there. :beer:

Funko
25-04-2010, 14:49:40
Yesterday:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/paleale.html) a ligher version of the Torpedo from yesterday. We had this in a pitcher in a gay bar in Castro and I got a nice red English suntan.

Magnolia Pub and Brewery (http://www.magnoliapub.com/) I had some Mild at this little brewery pub, which was good but also cold and fizzy which was a bit bizarre. They did really great beer snacks, Tizzy had a brilliant sausage and spicy beans. I had duck egg scotch egg with mustard and the yolk was still perfectly runny. :D

Fat Tire (http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/fat-tire) from Colorado, the brewery is called New Belgium which should give you an idea... and it was very Belgian

Today we're going to wine country so probably post some stuff in the wine thread.

Funko
25-04-2010, 14:50:28
Be on the lookout for some of the Oregon beers (DeSchutes brewery beers being a great example) while you're there. :beer:

Cool. :beer::beer:

jsorense
25-04-2010, 16:47:07
Try the Liberty Ale, also by Anchor.:beer:
If you are not familiar with Samuel Adams Lageryou might want to give it a taste. Like Anchor it was instrumental in revitalizing the U.S. beer market.:coolgrin:

P.S. Welcome to the Left Coast.

zmama
26-04-2010, 07:53:01
And then there is the chocolate

Scharffen Berger Chocolate‎
Ferry Building Store

1 Ferry Building, Marketplace #14

San Francisco, CA 94111

:D

Oerdin
26-04-2010, 08:37:42
Some of the better microbreweries in California: Russian River Brewing Co, Alesmith Brewing Company, Brew Port/Lost Abbey, Stone Brewing Co, North Coast Brewing Co, Alpine Brewing Co, and Valley Brewing Co.

Oerdin
26-04-2010, 12:09:15
BTW in college one of my room mates was from Fort Collins, CO and this was before Fat Tire was widely available outside of CO so we always made him bring us a case of Fat Tire when ever he went home. The other beers from that brewery are also good though Fat Tire is their signature brew.

MDA
26-04-2010, 12:23:07
I've had Fat Tire, not sure if I was traveling or if I was just lucky to get my hands on it on the East Coast.

Colorado used to have Flying Dog (60/90 minute IPA and a slew of others), but I think all their manufacturing has now moved east. I could be wrong, though. I've been to their brewery here in Frederick and really like those two IPAs. Their Classic Pale Ale is pretty ordinary in comparison.

Colorado isn't California, so even if I'm wrong about the move, you might not find it. :beer:

Never been to Northern California, I always seem to end up in San Diego instead, because I can't resist the wild animal park. Have fun!

Oerdin
26-04-2010, 14:17:25
Hopefully Funko and Tizzy will also take a side trip to Napa to do some wine tasting.

Tizzy
26-04-2010, 15:10:42
We went to Sonoma yesterday for wine tasting :) We visited 5 wineries and tasted a total of 41 wines :beer:

I really like Zinfandel so expected to end up buying a few bottles of that but we actually bought just one Zin (a Heritage blend from Buena Vista) and a selection of "girly" wines - a Muscato, a rose (a very interesting one though, Syrah/Chardonnay blend), and a white port (made from 100% Viognier).
And then we returned to form and got a full on red (blend of 4 traditional Rhone grapes I can't remember right now) and a dessert Mouvedre (taste like Christmas).

I should put all this on the wine blog.....

Tizzy
26-04-2010, 15:11:17
Oh, and we're going back for more wine tasting on Friday :D

jsorense
26-04-2010, 16:10:55
I spy a thread jacking.;)

Japher
26-04-2010, 16:28:47
Hubsch Marzen:b:

Oerdin
26-04-2010, 23:48:39
I really like Zinfandel so expected to end up buying a few bottles of that but we actually bought just one Zin (a Heritage blend from Buena Vista)

A lot of the Zin isn't grown in Napa or Sonoma, though it is grown there as well of course, most of it is grown on the central coast or in the central valley. Monterrey County, San Luis Obispo County, and Santa Barbara County are known as the best places to grow Zin. Napa and Sonoma tend to specialize in different types of grapes.

Oerdin
26-04-2010, 23:58:33
The San Francisco Brewing Company on Columbus Ave is a rather good brew pub. They don't bottle their beers and only sell them on site but it is a nice 19th century building, if a bit small, with lots of hard wood (if memory serves). That's not that common here on the west coast. The beer is quite good too plus it is near China Town.

Oerdin
27-04-2010, 00:06:31
Magnolia Pub and Brewery[/URL] I had some Mild at this little brewery pub, which was good but also cold and fizzy which was a bit bizarre.

The beer in cental and northern California tends to be naturally fizzy when local yeast are used. In fact, San Francisco's Anchor Steam was named Anchor because the brewery was/is located at the old ship anchorage and steam because the high natural carbonation of the beer made it appear that steam was rising for the beer. If the natural local yeast is used the fermination is just really vigerous producing lots and lots of carbonation; most breweries now days use speciality beer yeasts but some do still use wild yeast (Alesmith's wild ales are famous) or like Anchor used speciality yeast strains derived from the wild local yeasts.

mr_B
27-04-2010, 09:24:38
Hopefully Funko and Tizzy will also take a side trip to Napa to do some wine tasting.

this is a beerthread dammit, now you got them talking aboot wine again

devilmunchkin
27-04-2010, 09:39:06
You're in SF!!! I'm an hour and a half away from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDA
27-04-2010, 14:08:11
Quick, hide in the vineyards!

Tizzy
27-04-2010, 16:28:33
You're in SF!!! I'm an hour and a half away from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*hides*
;)

Funko
27-04-2010, 22:37:23
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs327.snc3/28977_439119940280_685640280_5971527_6125231_n.jpg

Tasting flight at Gordon Biersh Brewery/Restaurant

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs327.snc3/28977_439119985280_685640280_5971533_3718468_n.jpg

Wine in the evening. The Wine Collective. This place totally fleeced us. Then we had loads of tastings at another place round the corner for $10

jsorense
27-04-2010, 22:58:38
Wine in the evening. The Wine Collective. This place totally fleeced us.

Thanks Mikey! Thanks Ann! Now California can finally get its budget in order.
God love a tourist! :zin:

PS How are the locals treating you? Despite ripping you off, that is? :coolgrin:

PPS This IS a BEER thread, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Do you actually want to be banned?

Tizzy
28-04-2010, 00:14:10
Alright, alright, I've bumped the wine thread :rolleyes:

Oerdin
28-04-2010, 00:38:30
What did you two think of Gordon Biersh? I never really liked them as they're a big chain with a rather generic mass market product.

Funko
28-04-2010, 05:31:41
They were ok, the tasting thing is a nice idea. They had the Crystal Palace game on TV, and all the baseball... wasn't the best beer we've had but was perfectly drinkable and we'd been walking around for a few hours and that always makes it taste better.

Tizzy
28-04-2010, 06:32:24
I thought it was quite a nice place to hang out. I don't drink beer but the garlic fries were good.