Funko
14-07-2010, 20:33:30
OMG the red count down!

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:36:50
Turn 14 and it's started going mental. :(

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:39:55
I think we're back. Panic stations there for 5 mins.

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:40:12
OMG another kill.

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:42:25
4-0

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:43:35
My KOed guy wakes up! Turn 16. He has 6 men remaining. vs 11 now.

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:49:17
Ends 4-0, 3 kills for, 4 cas for, none against.

It was a bit brutal.

Fistandantilus
14-07-2010, 20:59:51
Bohoooo

Funko
14-07-2010, 21:04:06
If I had scored the TD I stupidly fucked up by blitzing the man into a dead end I'd need a 1-0 win to win the league.

2 blitzers both got 10s on level up, so I gave them both extra MA.

Fistandantilus
14-07-2010, 21:25:53
That's a nice way to say you painted a big target on their back for those dwarves you're facing next.

King_Ghidra
14-07-2010, 21:58:42
Dodge would have been funnier. :D

The only upside to this i can see is that funko's tv is high enough now that by throwing my otherwise useless cash into the inducements pot i think i can hire a star for our match

Funko
15-07-2010, 06:34:52
You kind of have to take the stat increase when it becomes available really... it's not just about the next game but the next season, I did consider getting guard or mighty blow for the guy who got a double though.

Funko
15-07-2010, 06:37:20
I feel a bit sorry for Illi, I had a few of these games last season with huge numbers of injuries. It's so unlucky, and it means there's nothing you can do to defend with so few players on the pitch.

Fistandantilus
15-07-2010, 08:10:23
...it's not just about the next game but the next season...

There is a next season? :eek:

Funko
15-07-2010, 08:38:49
Imagine if there wasn't another season and Beta once again didn't get to use his levelled up Chaos team. :lol:

Fistandantilus
15-07-2010, 08:50:34
:p

Yeah, I think maybe somone would like to pick a different race?
When is the expansion due btw?

Funko
15-07-2010, 08:52:56
Started a new thread for season 3.

I think we said at the beginning new players, replacement teams could come in for a new season as long as they were 1000 value. Can discuss it there.

King_Ghidra
15-07-2010, 10:44:40
You kind of have to take the stat increase when it becomes available really... it's not just about the next game but the next season, I did consider getting guard or mighty blow for the guy who got a double though.

Absolutely - no implied criticism. When you get stat increases you take them. Another skill each and they'll be like av8 wardancers.

Funko
15-07-2010, 10:56:53
:D

King_Ghidra
15-07-2010, 10:57:49
btw your table suggests i can only finish as low as 3rd. i think i can fnish 4th if you beat me and beta wins.

Funko
15-07-2010, 11:04:25
Good point.

And he has better TD diff too. I'll do an updated table after that game now.

Funko
15-07-2010, 11:08:22
Team TP MaxP CurP TD High Low
X-Rats 0 13 13 8 1 2
Frostbeards 1 15 12 2 1 4
Ravens 1 13 10 7 1 4
Blockers 1 12 9 4 2 4
Basterds 1 7 4 -2 4 7*6
Storms 1 4 1 -7 5*6 7
Muggers 1 4 1 -14 5*6 7

TP = Number of games left To Play
MaxP = Maximum available points
CurP = Current Points = minimum points available
TD = Current TD difference
High = Highest position they can finish in the league
Low = Lowest position they can finish in the league
x*y only possible with massive TD difference change
y represents the lowest/highest position that's likely without freak results

Funko
15-07-2010, 11:29:50
If anyone fancies doing a write up of the final round, I probably don't have time. K_G we need to arrange a time for the championship decider!

Fistandantilus
15-07-2010, 11:31:09
Can I write it in italian? I'm not confident my english is good enough :D

King_Ghidra
15-07-2010, 12:13:37
My calendar is clear, so you pick a date. Let's do as we mused before and one of us come and visit the other. This Saturday would be good for me actually if you're free.

It is, fist, trust me.

Funko
15-07-2010, 12:20:12
This Saturday is good. Yes. I wanted to go and watch a bit of the guys at the Reading Fives in the morning, fancy coming down here?

I'm happy to come up to London though.

And yes, Fist, your English is certainly good enough. We don't care abotu some gramactical or mistake spellings.

King_Ghidra
15-07-2010, 12:41:56
:lol:

Ok, it's a date, i'll come down.

Funko
15-07-2010, 12:48:18
:beer: Let me know your ETA on the day.

MOBIUS
15-07-2010, 14:43:52
I feel a bit sorry for Illi, I had a few of these games last season with huge numbers of injuries. It's so unlucky, and it means there's nothing you can do to defend with so few players on the pitch.

I'm definitely getting deja vu of my baptism of fire as humans last season - I can only imagine it would have been worse if I'd played Wood Elves!:eek:

The game is an entirely different beast against human players and I think I'm almost at a point where I'm competitive with everyone else - so I'm really looking forward to next season!:D

Funko
15-07-2010, 14:47:15
Absolutely. On all counts. Wood Elves and Humans are two very difficult to play for Newbies I think. As K_G said the other day Orcs are Easy mode in comparison. ;)

I think reading the rulebook what part of what sparked a big change in your play?

MOBIUS
15-07-2010, 14:53:42
Why do you think I changed to Orcs this season...;)

I may not mind losing too much, but I'm not a masochist - unless I decide to be Goblins next season...:D

Reading the rulebook definitely helped - just like one day I'll read the instructions to my new phone!

King_Ghidra
15-07-2010, 15:03:50
I was very much tempted to go Goblins myself for the mayhem factor, but i think you need to know every dirty trick in the book to make them work. The key thing is managing the secret weapons properly. With each one being ejected after a drive you have to time their deployment so carefully.

I'll let Illi speak for himself as to why it didn't work for him, but i think the key thing with W Elves is don't let yourself get blocked too much, and don't pass the ball just because you can. I'm pretty sure i played without a passer or a catcher at any point, and scored almost all my td's by just running it with the Wardancers. An MA8 Blodger is a nightmare for unskilled teams to stop.

MOBIUS
15-07-2010, 15:18:50

Your English is a lot better than that of a lot of British people I know, trust me...;)

Funko
15-07-2010, 15:43:56
You do live in Wales.

MOBIUS
15-07-2010, 15:57:40

Try as I might, I cannot fault you on that statement, and the impression it conveys...:bouncmsk:

Beta1
16-07-2010, 17:40:14
Come on then Illi, when are you available?

Funko
17-07-2010, 14:31:54
Well the championship game is over. The Frostbeards reduced a 1350 TV team to 860, and ground out a 1-0 victory to win the league.

The crippled Ravens now have to lick their wounds and consider what to do next season. Their new Witch Elf cruelly killed on her opening game, along with Elzod Strongshot the blitzer. 3 players miss the next game, one with a -1MA from a smashed knee.

King_Ghidra
17-07-2010, 21:11:59
Karak-Drak Frostbeards 1 -0 Clar Karond Ravens

The Frostbeards took the title in brutal fashion, running over a Ravens team in what many observers considered a perfect game of Dwarven Blood Bowl.

The Frostbeards shut the Ravens out in the first half, breaking up their sole attempt at the goal-line with a crunching two-man block. Following that, the Frostbeards forced the game into a scrappy midfield melee in which the Ravens could muster no further threat. At half time, the score was 0-0, and the league title was heading to the X-Rats, though with no injuries for either team the second half seemed wide open.

Receiving the ball to begin the second half, the Frostbeards began a typically professional, bone-crunching drive, seeing Dark Elves flying into the injury box by the minute as the Dwarven pack made slow progress down the field. As the Raven flock thinned, the Frostbeards ferocity increased, with two Ravens crowing their last, and even the hardy Norscan fans winced as rookie Witch Elf Nara Catwarper was crushed to death by a six-man gang foul.

By the time Burlak Blasthammer crossed the line for the sixth time this season, and for what was to be the title-clinching touchdown, the Ravens were a broken team, barely able to escape the pitch as overjoyed Frostbeards fans stormed the field to celebrate a League win that had seemed so unlikely only weeks before.

Frostbeards coach 'King' Ghidra was full of praise for his young team's achievement:
'The character they've shown has been magnificent. We've scored eight touchdowns and only conceded one since that opening day defeat. That's Championship form in any league in the Old World.'

But even as he celebrated the win, Ghidra did little to quell speculation that he may be preparing to jump ship for the second season in a row:
'When King Hargrim invited me to manage the Frostbeards, the challenge was to take the talent and passion here and try and turn it into a competitive Blood Bowl team. Probably by winning the title we've all exceeded our expectations. How much more there is to do here now, I don't know.'

Beta1
18-07-2010, 08:04:33
come on illi - I've third place and an undefeated season to finish.

MOBIUS
18-07-2010, 20:15:36
Will that make you the New Zealand of Blood Bowl?:cute:

King_Ghidra
18-07-2010, 21:40:38

illi
19-07-2010, 15:14:04
Hi Beta! Sorry didn't get a 'someone replied to your thread' email. So you're gagging fer it, I notice? Very well, let's get this seasus horriblis over with. Am free most nights from tonight, 8pm start?

Funko
19-07-2010, 15:23:29
COME ON ILLI!

illi
19-07-2010, 15:57:58
Are you feel it, Dr Beta? You must notice the ground swollen from love which is flowing towards my body, Dr Beta? It is the ocean of a well-ordered love, Dr Beta! God tells us that Chaos cannot thrive in ocean of well-ordered love, Dr Beta! Your players cannot breathe water, Dr Beta! We have taken our medicines, Dr Beta, mine is the complete truth! We are growing stronger and we eat your fear, Dr Beta!

MDA
19-07-2010, 16:08:43
COME ON ILLI!

too rah loo rah too rah loo rai ayyyyy

King_Ghidra
19-07-2010, 16:09:32
:beer:

MOBIUS
19-07-2010, 19:35:08
How little you know how apt that is... ;)

MOBIUS
19-07-2010, 19:35:52
Hopefully Shakey and I are playing our last game tonight...

The Shaker
19-07-2010, 19:52:26
...to the death

Beta1
19-07-2010, 20:13:23
Excellent, Can't do tomorrow or wednesday but thursday would be good for me. 8pm it is!

MOBIUS
20-07-2010, 00:16:43
In the last game of the season the Inglourious Basterds were desperate to finally show the rest of the league what they were capable of...

The Basterds received the ball and started to pound at the line with the newly recruited Troll #13 being put to use in the trenches, but to little initial effect.

Esiasun was forced to field the ball to the left edge of the pitch with Orkosinko running cover.

The Raging Storms were able to overload the Basterds defence on Esiasun's side with at least one successful block, and a Storms player was able to penetrate into the backfield on the right hand side of the field.

Some cunning cross blocking play was able to release a blitzing Sedrik Bentsun into the Storms' backfield, with Esiasun tracking across field to throw a perfect pass into his awaiting arms and only the human thrower to beat...

The Storms were able to extricate a couple of players out of Orcish tackle zones to set up a three man blitz onto the indomitable Bentsun - who dug in and 'weathered the Storms' by badly hurting the advancing human in the ensuing block. At this turnover, supporting Orcish players were able to sweep aside the remaining human defenders to allow Bentsun into the end zone!

Basterds 1; Storms 0

The Basterds kick off and pin the Storms into the extreme corner of the pitch, from where the ball is advanced out. An unlucky trip by a human catcher allow a long range blitz by Fascist and Spikz, knocking the ball from the human thrower's hands - though Fascist, pro that he's supposed to be, fumbles the ball not once but twice. Immediately another human tracking back is tackled by the svelte form of a lumbering Black Orc. Fascist is able to spare his blushes by trundling in for the TD!

Basterds 2; Storms 0

The Basterds kick off again and in the dying seconds the humans are able to thread a pass through the Orcish defence to an awaiting catcher with nothing between him and the end zone apart from the small matter of the time running out for half-time!

The Basterds kick off again and the humans are again able to penetrate the Orcish lines with their catchers, this time however the pass is fumbled deep inside Storms' territory and Orcish blitzers surge forward to recover the ball...

There now follows perhaps the most unlikely and crazy passage of play any of the spectators have ever seen as...

Somehow the human thrower is able to recover the ball, but is quickly surrounded by Orcs and the ball is knocked free into the awaiting arms of the Orcs - with a bizarre spectacle of Orc pinball as the spilled ball bounces to and fro between Bentsun and Fascist at least six times before finally coming to rest on the field virtually next to the end zone...

Now the Orcs have a seemingly simple formality of picking up the ball and marching it into the endzone...

Trusting the pro skills of J.P. Fascist, the ball is picked up but spills from his grasp from both a failed pro roll and a failed reroll - resulting in a turnover!

The human thrower, scarcely able to believe his luck, scoops up the errant ball, marches almost back to the line of scrimmage and throws a long pass high above the oncoming Orcish pass blockers! But wait - THE PASS IS INCOMPLETE - bouncing harmlessly next to the catcher way downfield AND INTO HIS ARMS!!!:eek:

Borholt Jolted was then able to score the easiest TD of his life, as all around the stadium marvel at the will of Nuffle...!

Basterds 2; Storms 1

Could a shock turnaround be on the cards...?

Certainly the Basterds kick off return was marred by a pitch invasion - though someone forgot to tell the over exuberant fans that they should be hurting the opposition and not their own players...!

The invasion left the ball on the far left of the field and near the line of scrimmage, with the Storms entire defence on that side stunned - but also with Esiasun far away in the backfield.

The Orcs elected to blitz the gaping hole in the humans defence deep into the backfield and blocking more humans to the ground. It was also at this time that the last three of 5 human casualties occurred in quick succession - this time by Orcish hand, instead of self-inflicted - taking their toll on an already depleted Storms defence...

Boomer Esiasun then decided to go for it not once, but twice, with no remaining rerolls and successfully launch a perfect pass into the waiting arms of Bentsun, who was able to score fairly easily two turns later...

Final Score: Basterds 3; Storms 1

Funko
20-07-2010, 07:43:19

So, just one game to go!

illi
20-07-2010, 08:54:47
And it will (should) take place from 8pm Thursday. Doubtless the doubters have it wrong and the result will be in doubt until the last redoubtable effort, no diggety.

Funko
20-07-2010, 11:07:02
Interesting that my blitzers with +1 MA are the only stat increases we've had so far!

illi
20-07-2010, 12:40:05
Actually Funko, my players had increases in several stats, including GIV, FUM, DRP, SNZ, DOP, and FAL.

Funko
20-07-2010, 12:41:14
:D

King_Ghidra
20-07-2010, 13:04:07

Beta1
22-07-2010, 20:55:59
This is brutal illi is 4 CAS 1 KO down before the end of the first half

Funko
22-07-2010, 21:09:50
Ouch, his season really is a nightmare

Beta1
22-07-2010, 21:17:47
2-0 and 6 elves out of play still 4 turns left

Beta1
22-07-2010, 21:47:00
3-0, lost track of the casualties but illi only had 3 on the pitch at the end. 6 players levelled up, TV now a ridiculous 1450 even after firing one player.

Season 3 players will be pleased to know I havn't gone for claw/might blow yet.

Quick match summary - Illi recieved, and retreated into his own half. I slung a double line across the pitch and waited while my minotaur went in to kick some elves around.
After a couple of turns of trying to dodge through my line near the edge and getting plastered into the crowd (but not failing armor rolls) Illi's luck ran out and he had 5 players down hurt/Koed in 2 turns. The blockers rumbled up the pitch and walked in on the last turn of the half.

Second half Illi was always over streched and the massive number of 2D blocks going in (+ some more players frenzied into the crowd), kept racking up the CAS count giving me another TD with 4 turns left.

Last drive of the match Illi recieves and tries to force runners through, outnumbered with massive overlapping tackle zones they all end up on the floor, 5 BM and the mino sweep through towards the ball carrier who attempts to dodge pass but is tackled. Last 3 turns are blatent SPP farming with 2 passes going in to level up 2 BM and a TD for a third.

yes you heard right - Chaos made 2 successfull passes!

Funko
23-07-2010, 07:46:33
Shit a Beastman with +1 Strength.

Fistandantilus
23-07-2010, 07:59:41
Ouch, his season really is a nightmare

Does not surpise me why people quit :p

Funko
23-07-2010, 08:03:41
No, not at all.

Beta1
23-07-2010, 08:27:09
Shit a Beastman with +1 Strength.

YUP :)

Thats makes 4 CW, 1 mino and a BM all with STR 4 or better.

King_Ghidra
23-07-2010, 08:45:49
Well, with all due respect to Illi, who is a nice person, he does not know how to play Blood Bowl well, and he has a team which is extremely vulnerable when not played well.

I worry somewhat for new players who join us, because not only will they be overcoming a skill gap, but the inducements system as implemented is not going to do them any favours either.

As much as i like the continuity, development and lore element of continuing with our teams, i wonder if it sets up an unavoidable cycle of punishment for newbs. If we had more players i would actually suggest a tier system, separating the high and low tv teams.

I dunno, perhaps there's some other solution. Perhaps we play the high tv teams against each other in a cup or something alongside the league. Some way of keeping them going without raping newbs. Or we make a TV cap or something. I don't know.

King_Ghidra
23-07-2010, 08:48:49
At the very least people need some help to not fuck their teams up with a) their initial composition, and b) their skill choices.

You might as well play against the AI if you're facing elves with 1 reroll, and diving catch or strip ball on a lineman.

Funko
23-07-2010, 10:44:05
Agree with all that. The TV gap with new teams will probably be so huge that actually they can get quite a lot of advantage, even buying by the 100k.

Funko
23-07-2010, 10:44:48
How about the new players have a mini-league in August when Fist's away before joining season 3?

Funko
23-07-2010, 10:45:30
And we definitely give help on composition (although the threads on the blood bowl forum are very good for basic overviews of initial team selections and skill choices)

MOBIUS
23-07-2010, 11:12:01
Do I still count as a new player...?:cute:

I must admit that Orcs are a perfect new player team - especially after my experiences with Humans!

Anyway, I think Illi's main issue with the game is mainly the tech side - both of us were surprised with the spec requirements for the game considering it's just a board game and I know he's had real issues with his machine over it. Mine works, though apparently it shouldn't...;)

Anyway, I think I've learned most of the major lessons to be learned playing real players and the best thing with Orcs is that I've come through unscathed with what should be a pretty competitive team for next season - could do with at least another reroll though.:beer:

MOBIUS
23-07-2010, 11:13:37
And we definitely give help on composition (although the threads on the blood bowl forum are very good for basic overviews of initial team selections and skill choices)

Yeah, I should be good at telling people what not to do!:D

Funko
23-07-2010, 11:57:45
Yeah, Blood Bowl is a great game, the computer version is, in many ways, a pile of shit, but still fun because the underlying game is so good.

Beta1
23-07-2010, 12:03:24
The current TV gap from a new team to one of the established teams (1450) would give that player a Star player, Poss even Morg 'n' Thorg. Does even things up a little.

Agree that any new players need someone to hold their hand to start with.

TV cap is not a bad idea. Is there anyway to setup a new team with say 1100 points rather than 1000?

Funko
23-07-2010, 12:11:55
Not really. I think having a short newbie league might be a good solution.

illi
23-07-2010, 15:43:51
Chaps! Perhaps I might be permitted to join the Newbie League, to either give the newbs some crap opposition, or if it goes better for me to sort of start again, only justly relegated? Hopefully it would be a shorter season, like 2 or 3 games? Am buying a second RAM chip for the treacherous laptop, which might solve the keystroke time d e l ay is s ues I have with the game.

Funko
23-07-2010, 15:50:32
Definitely. :beer:

Do do we all think the Newbie league is a good idea?

MDA
23-07-2010, 15:52:43
I was willing to jump right in and get crushed, but sure!

MOBIUS
23-07-2010, 19:53:33
Sounds good to me as that way we can close some of the TV gap between the new teams and the old ones - he says, stating the obvious... :beer: