PDA

View Full Version : Counterglow Blood Bowl League - Season 2

Pages : 1 [2] 3

MOBIUS
23-05-2010, 11:47:49
Yep, we made it - those were a very long two seconds indeed!;)

Off out to enjoy the sun, will post my unbiased side of the match later. It's just nice to end a game without any dead or seriously injured players.:)

Funko
23-05-2010, 11:51:36
One clarification, Burlak Blasthammer leads the rushing yards, although Adeda still leads in yards per game.

Funko
23-05-2010, 11:52:20
Yep, we made it - those were a very long two seconds indeed!;)

Off out to enjoy the sun, will post my unbiased side of the match later. It's just nice to end a game without any dead or seriously injured players.:)

That's the beauty of not being humans (or wood elves, or skaven or dark elves)

King_Ghidra
23-05-2010, 14:51:56
btw mike, i don't know if you've already spent the money, but imho you should think long and hard about buying that apothecary

an apoth is going to only give you the chance to save one player from missing a match or being gimped, but he costs as much as nearly a whole player anyway. with not many games to play, i would question his value (and particularly at low TR matches - it's one thing to save a multi SPP veteran, it's another to save a skilless player)

Fistandantilus
23-05-2010, 17:32:51
I disagree.

I never use the apoth ability on anything less serious than death or a -1 stat injury which basically makes you need to cut and replace that player.

That said if the apoth saves just *one* player from one of those situations it has already paid for itself. Anything more than that is a net gain.

In this league (and I played just two matches) my apoth already saved an unleveled Gutter Runner (80k worth) from suffering an -1Ag injury. Definitely worth it.

I understand that its usefulness depends on the race you play but the only case in which the apoth is a waste of money is if (in the number of games you intend to play) you never need to replace anyone due to CAS.
I think you are an optimistic dwarven coach to expect that K_G :p

And at 50k is really dirty cheap, I mean, how many players do you have on your roster that are worth just that? (and as you pointed out the more they play the more valuable they become by leveling)

Unless you really really need those 50k right now taking an apoth is a no brainer imho :)

P.S.
Considering -1 stat injuries or death happen rolling 53+ on a D68 injury roll (so just around 22%) rerolling it gives a pretty good chance of avoiding something serious.

King_Ghidra
23-05-2010, 21:00:40
I disagree.

I never use the apoth ability on anything less serious than death or a -1 stat injury which basically makes you need to cut and replace that player.

so you might not use it at all in a given match, which means it is money for nothing. I know you think that's unlikely, but d elves have av8, they are not that squishy, and by your own calc you have only a 22% chance of sustaining an apoth-necessary injury

in funko's case he could have bought another lineman instead, as he had 70k in the bank, which means the following match he could have been up to 12 players.

don't get me wrong, i absolutely believe there is a time and a place for the apoth, i'm just saying it might not have been now.

And it's not just a dwarf perspective, i assure you. I have played 10 games as skaven this week on fumbbl, sustaining 26 cas in the process. I played 10 games as lizardmen, sustaining 22 cas. I certainly know how it is for low av teams.

King_Ghidra
23-05-2010, 21:07:33
btw interesting stats so far: no draws, and every losing team has failed to score

Funko
24-05-2010, 07:55:21
btw mike, i don't know if you've already spent the money, but imho you should think long and hard about buying that apothecary

an apoth is going to only give you the chance to save one player from missing a match or being gimped, but he costs as much as nearly a whole player anyway. with not many games to play, i would question his value (and particularly at low TR matches - it's one thing to save a multi SPP veteran, it's another to save a skilless player)

I've already bought him. I do take your point. But don't forget, he also returns players to the pitch during a game 50% of the time. So it's not just missing the next game, but potentially they can come back this game.

In my 11 I already have 5 players that cost 100k or more (including my AV7 runner), and 1 that costs 90k. So, twice as much as the apoth. If he saves one of them over the next 4 matches (and we might continue these teams into another league) he's been well worth it.

But I think the main benefit is probably psychological, I find not having an apoc makes me much more cautious than I would otherwise be, a bit like not having any re-rolls.

Funko
24-05-2010, 08:43:49
btw interesting stats so far: no draws, and every losing team has failed to score

5/7 games finished 2-0. Beta and I are both 100% Mourinho so far.

The Shaker
24-05-2010, 08:55:28
Uhm, Shakey let me know when you're available, monday or tuesday evenings are the best for me.

might be able to do tomorrow , else next sun/mon/tues should be doable

The Shaker
24-05-2010, 08:57:54
The league application certainly supports it.

Was I going mad about the 2d block thing? I've looked at the rule book and I'm sure that the game was wrong.

I have a man making a block, who is in the TZs of 2 players, including the man he's blocking.
Also in the TZ of the player being blocked (but no other TZs) is the player I was expecting to assist the block.
All players have S3.

It was giving me 1d blocks, at least 4 times (most of the blocks I made in fact, but by the time I'd moved that far it was too late to not take the block...). The only time I got 2d blocks was when I had 2 assisting players.

And I'm certain none of them was a black orc, I double checked strengths every time.

Really confusing, and a bit of a handicap!

Just double checked the Living Rule Book, page 21. The example there says I should get 2d. :bash:

i had something similar against beta, giving 2red block when i was pretty sure i'd got men up, but assumed i'd ust got the rules wrong or missed some assist canceling somewhere. one day i'll watch the replay , but watching al those humes lying on the ground is a bit much at the moment

Fistandantilus
24-05-2010, 09:34:27
might be able to do tomorrow , else next sun/mon/tues should be doable

Tomorrow at 8pm then?

The Shaker
24-05-2010, 10:24:16
Ok pencil it in (might have to cancel if the kids are still awake...stupid sun and heat)

Fistandantilus
24-05-2010, 11:37:07
Sure :)

MOBIUS
26-05-2010, 09:23:14
Another blitzer KOed and 2 men in contact with this thrower. Why he didn't reroll that block we'll never know.

I'll never know either...:(

There were a couple of events where I wished I was able to use my reroll but it didn't let me!

Er, apart from that, what Funko said. And that the red box was very scary indeed!

Still, I'm looking on this season as a slow build for taking the title next season...;)

Funko
26-05-2010, 09:30:38
You're up straight away again now against Beta1.

Did Shakey vs Fist happen?

Fistandantilus
26-05-2010, 09:38:58
Nope, we are trying to arrange that for early for next week.

Funko
26-05-2010, 09:44:15
Cool. Beta, I'm up for playing whenever you've played MOBIUS.

illi
26-05-2010, 10:03:43
I predict a 2-0 victory / defeat.

MOBIUS
26-05-2010, 10:13:58
I'd even go further and predict a 2-0 to the Chaos Warriors...

I could do this Thursday, I think. I'm at the Hay Festival this weekend, though Monday evening is also a good probability.

Beta1
26-05-2010, 19:45:08
Probably won't be able to play till tuesday - got family over for the bank holiday.

I was at Hay last year, purely by chance as I was camping in the brecons and walked into town wondering why there were so many people there.

MOBIUS
28-05-2010, 10:35:01
Tuesday might not be doable as I think I have something on then. In fact next week could be a bad week, time wise.

Hay is great, I've been a regular since dipping my toe in to see James Lovelock in 2006. This weekend is our first overnighter.:beer:

Funko
28-05-2010, 10:36:24
:bash:

Fistandantilus
28-05-2010, 10:54:03
I think my two 'miss next game' players should be allowed to play, surely they had more than enough time to heal?

Beta1
28-05-2010, 19:35:44
I think theres enough time for a dead player to recover at this rate.

Are there any other games that can go on while we get this sorted are we holding everyone up?

Funko
29-05-2010, 17:26:16
The next two games involve you and MOBIUS anyway, :)

and K_G's on holiday

The Shaker
31-05-2010, 20:50:41
2-1 to fist

First half Raging Storms kicked off, straight out of touch.
The X-rats, take the ball, and make what seems like half a dozen small throws in their own half.
The Storms, lulled into a sense of false security charge towards the bal, only for the X-rats to
perform the old hand-of, run, hand-off, run , thow, run, score manoeuvre.
1-0 to the rats.
I had a few kicks at nightcrawler.
Following a good talking from the manager, the storms resumed with a safe take, cage and crawl up the pitch,
,tried to kill nightcrawler,
bashed a few heads until a window appeared with a safe run into the endzone. Game on. 1-1.

At some point one of my players was dead. Luckily I had an apothacary..HAHAHAHHAH I knew it was worth it ..reroll. Still Dead. Shit.

Second half I knew I had this game in the bag, just a mater of holding the bal, playing safe and grinding up the pitch.
Several turns later 6 played 10 and I sterted to get concerned. Following a massive rat-in, the ball eventually popped out for the rats to run down the pitch and hold up the ball,
scoring on the last turn. 2-1. Any come-back trying desperately to kill nightcrawler failed.
Al in all The x-rats won on superior skill and ability....damn them.
The storms, on a 3 match losing streak really need to find some sort of soft easy target upon which to hurl all their pent-up raging cruel and slighly effeminate energy.

The Shaker
31-05-2010, 20:53:42
(and match not uploaded as the BBD site appears to be down)

The Shaker
31-05-2010, 23:04:23
Hmm did fisty upload?

Fistandantilus
31-05-2010, 23:12:09
Yeah, was able to in the end :)

I'll write a summary tomorrow, bedtime now.

Funko
01-06-2010, 07:49:02
At some point one of my players was dead. Luckily I had an apothacary..HAHAHAHHAH I knew it was worth it ..reroll. Still Dead. Shit.

Ouch.

Funko
01-06-2010, 07:53:32
The table is amazing, people only have 6 points or none. 3 teams on 1130 TV. Beta and I have identical records and TV.

Also Shakey becomes the first losing coach to score, and the first to suffer a fatality.

Beta1
01-06-2010, 10:31:05
Mobius - anytime this week?

MOBIUS
01-06-2010, 11:47:39
How does Thursday sound?

Fistandantilus
01-06-2010, 14:49:58
Also Shakey becomes ... the first to suffer a fatality.

Actually Gambit was brutally murdered by a dwarf in gameweek 2 but I still don't know why KG did not get credit for it.

illi
02-06-2010, 09:52:28
HI Shakester: "The storms, on a 3 match losing streak really need to find some sort of soft easy target upon which to hurl all their pent-up raging cruel and slighly effeminate energy. "

[Flexes fingers back..] This is where the Muggers come in! Should be free tonight or most evenings coming up? illi

Beta1
02-06-2010, 11:38:34
How does Thursday sound?

good for me, about 8.30 sound good?

MOBIUS
03-06-2010, 09:56:42
Hopefully. Looking like it's 60/40 at the moment - will only know for sure by about 7:30pm. Otherwise I can guarantee a Sunday morning/evening slot or Monday evening.

I'll PM you my mobile number.

Beta1
03-06-2010, 21:15:53
so now its monday evening...

MOBIUS
03-06-2010, 22:30:56
Sorry. I need to clone myself!

Funko
07-06-2010, 08:16:43
My computer is currently fucked. Hopefully just requires a windows re-install which I hope to do this week.

The Shaker
07-06-2010, 19:22:26
I need to get a new machine, but knowing the havoc it will cause (me), wont bother till after the league has finished

MOBIUS
07-06-2010, 19:56:05
Ready when you are, Beta!:)

Beta1
07-06-2010, 20:03:24
I'm on - check your hamachi!

Beta1
07-06-2010, 22:12:46
great match 1:1 result

Much more entertaining than chaos v orc should be - we had 1 T4 TD by me, a mad last ditch defence to stop mobius levelling before the break, a completely idiotic kick by me that left me scrambling to catch a gobbo - couldn't stop Mobius scoring though, then a great last phase where my players were being taken to peices by the black orcs but right at the death I broke through looking for a T16 score only for Mobius's last defender to get him with his last reroll...

There was even a couple of passes and an interception.

Beta1
07-06-2010, 22:19:41
funko - how does thursday sound

The Shaker
07-06-2010, 22:26:39
And in other news
Storms :1 Huggers :1

more to follow tomorrow.

Fistandantilus
07-06-2010, 23:11:07
Wow, this is rolling now.

Mobius let me know when it's ok for you, as usual most evenings are fine with me :)

MOBIUS
07-06-2010, 23:47:26
great match 1:1 result

It was an awesome game with lots of uncharacteristic open play...:beer:

The Basterds kicked off and initially held the Blockers before a concerted breakthrough on the Basterds right side aided by some silly defensive mistakes like a knocked down player failing to remember to move making a last ditch recovery impossible. 1-0 Blockers.

On the Blockers kick off, Basterds thrower Boomer Esiasun picked up the ball and began advancing it up field looking for their offensive secret weapon - Crawly Dil-do the goblin, who was in the thick of the action early with a crucial block. An Esiasun handoff released the effervescent Dil-do scampering towards the corner of the Blocker's endzone on the back of some excellent blocking (of the Blockers). Unfortunately the Blockers were able to recover with a desperate long range blitz that could well have pushed Crawly into the endzone, but ultimately knocking him out. Recovering the ball at their 1, the Blockers ran the ball back out and tried an audacious passing play intercepted by the Basterds last line of defence, Kriss Krocker at about the halfway line.

This set up a nail-biting halftime finale as the Basterds scrambled to get the ball back upfield but over elaborated as a Black Orc was felled by a blade of grass...

The Blockers kicked a short range touchback which landed in Crawly's hands who immediately began making a bee-line for the Blockers' endzone (those were some strong halftime smelling salts!), though his life was made a bit more dangerous by a failed 2D block halfway through the Basterds' turn resulting in a turnover. Crawly quickly found himself surrounded by 3 defenders on the touchline and miraculous staying on his feet and on the field! Even more miraculously, after a Basterds blitzer was able to penetrate the Blockers backfield, Crawly was able to dodge out of trouble and pass to J.P. Fascist! Although able to track back to defend, the Blockers were unable to block a devastating push block by a blitzing Black Orc that was able to free J.P. Fascist from their grasp and allowing him to advance for a score!

After the Basterds restarted the game, the first priority was to hold for the draw and started to grind down the Blockers' cage along the left sidelines inflicting a number of casualties. Just as it seemed that the Blockers' drive was running out of manpower, a series of excellent blocks sprung a Beastman to go for it for the endzone with a turn remaining - could the Blockers snatch victory from a certain draw...?

One last roll of the dice for the Basterds resulted in thrower Esiasun going for it to catch the Beastman and a blitzer able to dodge a block with the Basterds' last reroll and manage a 2D block that spilled the ball and ended the Blockers' hopes...

1-1

MOBIUS
07-06-2010, 23:53:32
Wow, this is rolling now.

Mobius let me know when it's ok for you, as usual most evenings are fine with me :)

Well, I'm pretty fully busy now till next Monday - though I might be able to fit a game in late tomorrow (Tues) from, say, about 9pm at the earliest...?

Fistandantilus
08-06-2010, 00:40:56
Both are fine with me, we can certainly wait till monday if you prefer.. gotta check the world cup schedule tho..

Funko
08-06-2010, 07:50:40
funko - how does thursday sound

I need to rebuild my machine and haven't managed to borrow an XP disk yet...

If that doesn't work I'll need a new hard drive. I would say that Thursday is unlikely. :)

Funko
08-06-2010, 07:54:49
The Blockers Basterds game sounds great. :D

Funko
08-06-2010, 08:04:35
We've now played 10/21 matches, basically half way.

Fistandantilus
08-06-2010, 08:07:12
Well, I'm pretty fully busy now till next Monday - though I might be able to fit a game in late tomorrow (Tues) from, say, about 9pm at the earliest...?

Just checked, there is Paraguay - Italy on monday, good choice :lol:

But it's better than this evening.. if we can do it on monday 9pm is good for me. I'll just be distracted by the game and bunch of people around my house calling me a nerd, that's ok :D

Let me know.

MOBIUS
08-06-2010, 09:22:01
OK, Monday evening it is then - you nerd...:p

illi
08-06-2010, 09:34:31
According to some nerd on the interwet: "Watch out for Paraguay who I rate very highly. I watched the vast majority of the South American qualifiers and on their day can be a very dangerous counter-attacking team." nnggh..shuffle..dribble {nerd noises}

Funko
09-06-2010, 13:25:53
Hopefully rebuilding machine on Sunday, so if that is all ok available to play next week.

King_Ghidra
13-06-2010, 23:05:03
shakey, we can play our next round match whenever, so perhaps you'd like to start thinking of when might work for you. pretty much anything will be ok for me

The Shaker
14-06-2010, 10:57:27
Trying to find an available free evening without a game I want to watch.

Initial bets are..
Swizerland - Honduras on 25th
or Sunday 4th July?

MOBIUS
14-06-2010, 11:08:22
Hey Fist, still on for tonight? Is the 9pm my 9pm or your 9pm – GMT or funny Euro +1 time?:p

Funko
14-06-2010, 11:10:43
And don't forget we're currently on BST, so if he says GMT you'll be an hour out. :p

Fistandantilus
14-06-2010, 12:07:23
Ok, now i'm confused :p

Fistandantilus
14-06-2010, 12:07:54
I'll be here 10 pm my time, you do the math :lol:

Beta1
14-06-2010, 16:43:38
you rebuilt that computer yet?

King_Ghidra
14-06-2010, 17:23:02
Trying to find an available free evening without a game I want to watch.

Initial bets are..
Swizerland - Honduras on 25th
or Sunday 4th July?

hmm long time away. ok we'll come back to this later.

The Shaker
14-06-2010, 20:01:02
oooh or sat 19th. cameroon denmark.

Funko
15-06-2010, 07:57:56
you rebuilt that computer yet?

No. Still no disc. Hoping to get one today.

Fistandantilus
15-06-2010, 14:49:23
Quick recap of yesterdays match.

X-Rats win the coin toss and decide to kick, apparently fans aren't happy about that choice as they suddenly swarm the pitch and beat the crap out of everyone. Ouch.

We learn that those big and mean orcs are not so great at ball handling as their thrower fumbles while trying to pick up the ball. We hear their manager cursing nuggle from here and it's not pretty.

With few players standing the superior mobility of the rats shows as they sneak in to recover the ball and pass wide to the left where Rogue gets surrounded by nothing less than 5 brutes but manages to dodge away into the endzone nevertheless.

X-Rats 1 - 0 Da Inglourious Basterds

Next possession for the Orcs doesn't go as planned either, they are unable to inflict serious damage and the Rats simply dodge away from trouble while waiting for an opportunity to breach the cage. Few blocks later that oppurtunity presents itself. Swift and deadly Changeling leads the counterattack as he makes the orcs drop the ball (just recovered from a bad handpass a turn earlier) and without giving them time to react hands it to Juggernaut who sprints in for another TD.

X-Rats 2 - 0 Da Inglourious Basterds

Rest of the first half goes uneventful, the Basterds are keeping fouling pretty much every turn but other than a few stunned rats they fail to cause damage, one of their players gets even caught but a well placed bribe silences the ref.

Second half starts and X-Rats are receiving. No injured rats so far makes it really hard to contain the rodents who spread wide giving lots option for a deep pass.

Professor X advances for a couple of turns, scrambles a little to the right and with his newfound accuracy fires a laser for a medium pass connecting with Rogue. Easy dodge into the end zone for the 3-0 in typical rats showtime fashion.

X-Rats 3 - 0 Da Inglourious Basterds.

We are at round 12 and here is where things start to change. Orcs form a very tight cage and advance relentlessly but now they are able to keep in contact with the rat line and that spells doom to the wannabe mutants. 3 injuries (one from fauling) in 5 turns are the result of this push. Rogue is saved by the apoth from a very bad fate as her back snaps loudly.
In the end with most rats out of the game or down licking their wounds we are unable to stop da bastards from walking into the endzone.

X-Rats 3 - 1 Da Inglourious Basterds.

The score does not change in the last few turns as the Rats just keep the ball and the orcs keep fouling and tryng to injure those cute cheese lovers but to no avail.

So, final score 3-1 for the X-Rats who win a very exciting match.

Funko
15-06-2010, 14:52:38
:D

MOBIUS
15-06-2010, 15:36:48
The Basterds had been up for this game all week, with the coach even bothering to actually read the rules for the first time and come up with a plan to stop the Rats...

On match day, Coach MOBIUS, remembering how he was successful with the Sin City Bengals last year with an end of season bribe the ref - employed the same tactics here, confident that the field would run black with Skaven blood...

The moment play kicked off, all the Basterds plans began to unravel as a pitch invasion left numerous players unconscious on the field, including their talismanic thrower, Boomer Esiasun. This left the goblin, Crawly Dil-do, to hopefully carry on where he left off against the Blockers last week - unfortunately his first touch was to fumble the pick up, leaving the ball deep in Basterds territory, but behind a porous line...

Instantly the X-Rats pounced with gutter runners streaming through the gaping holes of the Basterds stunned defensive line, with their thrower running halfway the length of the pitch before scooping up the ball under the unfortunate Dil-do's nose and zipping an inch-perfect pass across the other side of the field into the waiting arms of a gutter runner poised for a TD!

Caught ill prepared, the Basterds scrambled to catch up and surround the runner, whilst throwing a few crushing blocks that were frustratingly dodged, though one Skaven fell so that Coach MOBIUS was able to employ his 'tackling on the ground' tactics - unfortunately using up the bribe in the process to no effect.

After a block to clear Basterds defender, the Skaven gutter runner was able to dodge out of contact and into the endzone for the first TD!

1-0 X-Rats

The Orcs received the kick off again with Esiasun desperate to show off his skills passing to Ikky Wudz. In attempting to set up the cage, the Orcs line was again frustrated by multiple dodges before a Black Orc suffered a knockdown on a 2d block. An offensive mix up in the following turn resulted in a turnover that the X-Rats were able to capitalise on for another quick gutter running TD!

2-0 X-Rats

On the third kick off reception of the half without enough time to score, Esiasun elected to show boat with another passing display as the Orc line again failed to make any appreciable dent in the health of the Rats - ending in half time and MOBIUS glancing nervously over his shoulder at the glaring Orc Basterd Boyz fans baying for his blood...!

Second Half

To add insult to injury, the Basterds now had to kick off to the X-Rats with the ball inexplicably ending up just behind their LoS and with an offensive advantage! The Rats moved into an offensive cage and started moving forward with a couple of good blocks starting to clear a way on the left side of the Orc line. For a change the Orcs actually managed to slow the Rats advance as finally Orc blocks began to tell with an X-Rat narrowly avoiding a fractured skull and others being on the receiving end of a number of heavy hits. Partly this was a belated change of tactics by the Basterds head coach emphasising the use of his blocking Blitzers, instead of relying on the brute strength of his lumbering Black Orc bruisers...

Just as it seemed as though the Orcs had begun to contain the X-Rats, an Orc blitzer forgot how to activate the blitz after move option to attempt a block into the heart of the Rat's cage and with seconds running out the defence moved quickly to attempt the blitz from a less than optimum direction. This allowed an outrageous long bomb by a Skaven thrower through the hands of Orc Lineman Kris Krocker attempting his second INT in as many games and into the hands of a gutter run who was able to dodge through for another score!

3-0 X-Rats

The Rats kick to the Orcs again with Coach MOBIUS in genuine fear of his life if things don't massively improve in this next drive! This time finally the Orc line has managed to get the measure of the Rats (too little too late!) and the KOs and casualties begin to come thick and fast! Esiasun is able to tuck into the pocket as a hole is blown in the Rats' defence along the right side of the field. after another turn or two of attrition with Skaven bodies flying everywhere, Esiasun is able to make a perfect pass into the waiting arms of Orc speedster, Chadd Orkosinko, who turns on the burners for a TD into the right corner of the endzone!

3-1 X-Rats

The Orcs kick off again, but this time there isn't any time for even the Skaven to score - so instead they huddle for safety in their own endzone as the Orcs manage a consolation Skaven casualty...

Valuable lessons were learned and Coach MOBIUS' head is still attached to his shoulders, but only just! Although the Rats won the game itself, the Orcs had the consolation of a 6-0 KO/Cas ratio and Orkosinko has finally opened his account - he's been insufferable ever since!!!

Great game Fist!:beer:

Funko
15-06-2010, 16:20:10
Just a few more re-rolls and you wouldn't be crippled by failed blocks ruining your turns.... :D

MOBIUS
15-06-2010, 18:38:22
What do you think I just spent my 120k on...:D

Oh, and I only just noticed the reroll option on the dice rolls only by watching a youtube clip today!:o

Funko
15-06-2010, 20:22:26
I did try to describe where it was!!! :lol:

Funko
15-06-2010, 20:22:51
How did you draw with Beta?! ;)

MOBIUS
15-06-2010, 20:38:29
Beats me!:lol:

Beta1
15-06-2010, 21:00:37
How did you draw with Beta?! ;)

My usual overly aggressive play.

If I had stopped kicking short and trying to contest every restart and just set a 4CW LoS defense i could have ground out 1-0 easily.

But where would be the fun in that?

Fistandantilus
15-06-2010, 21:09:45
Chaos players are not allowed to talk about fun :p

Beta1
15-06-2010, 21:36:49
We are, but then we have to do things with red hot pokers and that scary machine with the barbed wire to remind us why we don't talk about it.

MOBIUS
16-06-2010, 09:13:37
Shhh, you're getting my Orcs excited!

Funko
16-06-2010, 09:16:44
I have a burnt copy of a Windows XP Home SP 2 disc. Fingers crossed.

Beta, is Thursday or Friday evening next week any good? I've got my wine exam on tuesday so will be revising until then, and England on Weds.

After that I'm away again for a week. :nervous: (sorry, feeling a bit MOBIUS)

MOBIUS
16-06-2010, 09:28:04
OI!:tizzy:

I'll have you know that illi and I are poised to play the first week 5 game perhaps even tonight, Nuffle willing...

Not to mention the fact that I've also managed to play more games than you...:p

Funko
16-06-2010, 09:29:48

MOBIUS
16-06-2010, 12:38:38
Fresh from licking their wounds against the X-Rats, the Inglourious Basterds will be travelling to the forests of the Tree Muggers tonight in what is a personal basement grudge match against two coaches who've known each other for decades...

May the nastiest, ugliest, Orciest team win!:vuvu:

Beta1
16-06-2010, 16:03:33
I have a burnt copy of a Windows XP Home SP 2 disc. Fingers crossed.

Beta, is Thursday or Friday evening next week any good? I've got my wine exam on tuesday so will be revising until then, and England on Weds.

After that I'm away again for a week. :nervous: (sorry, feeling a bit MOBIUS)

"Revising"... yeah....

yeah I can do next thursday I think.

Funko
16-06-2010, 16:06:48
Actually revising. It's crazy. I've never really revised for an exam before I don't think! It's shit, I see why I did maths and physics where you don't have to memorize stuff.

ok let's pencil that in.

Beta1
16-06-2010, 17:24:32
Sure it doesn't just involve drinking a bottle each night?

Turns out I can't do thursday but can do friday

MOBIUS
16-06-2010, 20:21:54
Clearly it's in his blood...

Funko
17-06-2010, 08:01:34
Turns out I can't do thursday but can do friday

Cool, Friday it is then.

Funko
19-06-2010, 16:18:39
computer is back in action!

MOBIUS
21-06-2010, 09:37:00
:vuvu:

Due to technical difficulties, the match between the Inglourious Basterds and the Tree Muggers at Black Heart Lane has been postponed until this evening.

Funko
22-06-2010, 08:11:22
Postponed again again?

MOBIUS
22-06-2010, 09:51:42
Yeah, we're just waiting for all the rest of you lazy gits to catch up...:p

Fistandantilus
22-06-2010, 10:14:18
"The rest of you lazy gits" = Funko right? :p

MOBIUS
22-06-2010, 10:54:06
Credit where credit's due!:D

Funko
22-06-2010, 11:21:33
Friday! Then away for a week then I can play you any time the following week Fist. Mon 5th?

Fistandantilus
22-06-2010, 12:48:16
Sure

MOBIUS
22-06-2010, 14:46:38
:lol:

Funko
24-06-2010, 09:56:18
What time on Friday Beta?

Funko
25-06-2010, 16:31:20
I'm free any time tonight, I'll check back here when I get home 6:30ish.

Beta1
25-06-2010, 17:46:53
how does 9pm sound?

Funko
25-06-2010, 17:52:46
Yeah, great, will probably be on just before that.

Beta1
25-06-2010, 20:01:04
dum de dum.....

Funko
25-06-2010, 20:05:29
de dum

Funko
25-06-2010, 20:15:08
just continuous red count after red count

Funko
25-06-2010, 20:17:55
Let's try restarting

MOBIUS
25-06-2010, 20:26:53
Boo!:(

Funko
25-06-2010, 21:58:42
Turn 16, 1-1. Beta can score if he can blitz a chaos warrior into the end zone then pass to him and successfuly catch it!!!

Funko
25-06-2010, 21:59:50
OMG the fail to click the blitz button error. :(

That's normally my trick. A real shame, we all wanted to see if he could equal some of the luck I've had in this game.

MOBIUS
25-06-2010, 22:00:06
Woo! Go Warriors!:D

MOBIUS
25-06-2010, 22:00:45
Damn!:(

Funko
25-06-2010, 22:03:18
1-1. A really great game of blood bowl. 3 casualties to the Ravens vs 2 to the blockers.

Could genuinely have gone either way at times.

Fistandantilus
25-06-2010, 22:07:04
Min by min commentary sucked :mad:

Funko
25-06-2010, 22:12:00
Sorry. I didn't want to do anything that might risk the connection...

Funko
25-06-2010, 22:15:22
I think Adeda Icegrin can legitimately be called the league's greatest all rounder? 2 touchdowns, 2 passes, an injury caused and 124 yards rushing in 3 games.

Cue death next game.

Fistandantilus
25-06-2010, 22:16:58
The Ravens are clearly a one man team.
Wolverine is sharpening his claws. Target acquired.

MOBIUS
25-06-2010, 22:18:15
Go get 'im, Fist! :D

Funko
25-06-2010, 22:21:56
1st half, I lose the toss and kick off, we both get an extra re-roll. Pretty standard Chaos tactics, roll the cage down to the end zone and score in turn 8. Along the way I suffered a KO and 2 injuries, and he suffered a KO and a death (magic sponged to badly hurt). He had it comfortable enough in the end he could delay scoring. And then I didn't even get my turn 8 free blocks because there was a riot and the clock went forward. :(

2nd half, I attempt to do something similar, injure one of his beastmen on turn 9 (his only one to level so far got a pinched nerve, ouch) except I really mess up an attempt to squeeze through his line. and leave myself horribly exposed. I then summon all the powers of nuffle to make 1d block after 1d block, dodge after dodge and break 3 men clear. The last of whom made 3 dodges and 2 GFI without any rerolls. The lucky bastard (he did have dodge skill... but didn't use it).

Next turn (12 or so) he blitzes my ball carrier, there's an almighty scrum by his touchline and on turn 14, after he has a turn where about 8 2d blocks fail to knock anyone over, I manage to score. I think he manages to injure his other player during this time with a both down block.

Then from the kick off he only has 3 turns to score, I get a deep kick and his only chance is the aforementioned pass to the chaos warrior that would have required a 1d block, dodge, pass and catch from unskilled Jim to unskilled Bob... it was a tall order.

Really great game. Beta pressured me into making a few mistakes and don't think I'd have drawn if I hadn't been so lucky at key moments. :beer:

Funko
25-06-2010, 22:23:15
The Ravens are clearly a one man team.
Wolverine is sharpening his claws. Target acquired.

Wolverine, right. That's the one who's face I need to grind into the astrogranite. Hope his healing factor is working?

MOBIUS
25-06-2010, 22:48:25
Glad to see the league is shaping up like the Premier League, with a big four and the also rans... ;)

Beta1
26-06-2010, 10:11:52
getting very annoyed that I only have 1 levelled player - I have 5 players now on 5 SPP and several more on 3. If we play season 2 this team could get very dangerous very suddenly.

Fistandantilus
26-06-2010, 11:10:29
I thought the only reason we are starting from scratch everytime is to prevent chaos teams from getting nasty :p

King_Ghidra
27-06-2010, 09:37:45
or Sunday 4th July?

Shakey, if wed/thurs this week aren't good for you (no WC matches then either) let's do sunday.

The Shaker
27-06-2010, 16:34:37
I'l consult the oracle.
Imagine sunday is best though.

MOBIUS
29-06-2010, 10:36:04
Basterds 3, Muggers 0

Full match report to follow, except to say that the Great Nuffle honoured the Orcs with perhaps the jammiest set of dice rolls in perhaps the history of Blood Bowl! So much so that Coach MOBIUS thinks that his team may have ended the game with more rerolls than it started it with...!

It was also a game where the Orcs inflicted their first death in a casualty strewn game - in fact, such was the spiteful nature of the fates that the player who died was named Muggers' MVP!

illi
29-06-2010, 10:47:35
the Muggers' infamous 'Flex' Defense had all eaten too much pasta and had red faces before as well as during the game. My star passer Torwaynel was literally not present during the game, and the young clinical, strong, well drilled, efficient and fast orcs lapped up every chance given them. Could've been 4 or 5, abysmal! No, absolutely, no. No, I am happy to remain the manager of the Muggers for the remaining two games of the Championship, I will be meeting the chairman today at 1.30. Absolutely, No! You have to wait. It is no the money, it is the Men.

Fistandantilus
30-06-2010, 15:39:01
I just noticed the basterds have an amazing 12-0 casualties score. :eek:

King_Ghidra
30-06-2010, 19:52:26
orcs = eazymode

MOBIUS
01-07-2010, 16:17:50
I'll give you 'eazymode' when we have our game...:shoot:

The Shaker
04-07-2010, 14:29:30
I'l consult the oracle.
Imagine sunday is best though.

say 8:30?

King_Ghidra
04-07-2010, 16:27:46
fine by me

King_Ghidra
04-07-2010, 21:56:15
Raging Storms 0 -2 Karak-Drak Frostbeards

A third win in a row for the Frostbeards puts them level at the summit of the championship mountain, while a fourth defeat of the season condemned the Storms to the Davey Jones' Locker of the league.

Despite the difference in their league positions, the Storms made the Frostbeards work for their win right from the off, disrupting the Dwarves' opening drive with a neat blitz that knocked the ball into their hands. However, they were unable to consolidate their position, and a well-organised Dwarven team immediately recovered the ball, allowing star runner Burlak Blasthammer to scamper in for a league-leading 4th TD of the season just before the half-time whistle.

The Storms' first drive of the second half stalled right from the start, with a deep kick-off forcing their team to stretch across the pitch as the Frostbeards pressured. When the Humans tried to pass their way out, ball-handling failed them and the Dwarves swarmed around the ball as fast as their short legs could manage. Ultimately, the ball popped into Troll Slayer Gronti Bullflayer's hands and he crossed the line unopposed for the game-sealing TD.

With time running out, the Storms attempted another pitch-spanning passing move to generate a consolation score, but again Thrower Eomund Filbert fluffed his lines and the Dwarves nearly managed an unprecedented third score as the final whistle blew.

Frostbeards coach 'King' Ghidra was again pleased with his team's performance, saying: 'That's three clean sheets in a row now, and I couldn't ask for a better response from the lads after our poor start. We've got two huge games to end the season but I feel we're in as good a shape as we could be.'

Ghidra's players were already looking forward to their match against Mobius' Orcs, with several identifying Basterds star-maimer Boris Blackdeath as their number one target. One confided, 'The Keep's not had an Orc head on a pole outside for a few years now, it could do with some redecoration.'

Funko
05-07-2010, 08:35:15
:beer:

Fist, you on for tonight still?

Fistandantilus
05-07-2010, 08:43:27
yessir

Funko
05-07-2010, 08:44:33
What time is good for you?

Fistandantilus
05-07-2010, 08:45:34
8 pm?

Funko
05-07-2010, 08:55:39
I'll be there!

I'm actually going to be able to buy stuff, I'm so far behind in TV!

Funko
05-07-2010, 08:55:51
Mercenary Witch Elf maybe?

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 10:45:07
Raging Storms 0 -2 Karak-Drak Frostbeards
Ghidra's players were already looking forward to their match against Mobius' Orcs, with several identifying Basterds star-maimer Boris Blackdeath as their number one target. One confided, 'The Keep's not had an Orc head on a pole outside for a few years now, it could do with some redecoration.'

The Basterds are looking forward to putting the trash talking stunties in their place and are especially keen to increase their casualty tally with broken Dwarf bodies!

Boris Blackdeath himself said: "I's lukkin' forwad to Kneekappin' dat Blast'ammer git, but I'ul problee miss an' rip 'is 'ead off insted cuz 'e's such a shortass stunty git - I can lives wiv dat...!":D

Coach MOBIUS also stated that there's an outside chance that the clash could take place this evening from 8:30 - 9pm...?

...Assuming de Dwarfs is 'ard enuff...?:cute:

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 10:58:53
Definitely possible. 9pm would work for me.

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 11:18:12
Cool. I'll make the necessary arrangements...

Funko
05-07-2010, 11:58:19
So if I win I can go top, but it might only be for an hour? :)

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 12:37:02
I kinda hope you do, simply because if fist and i win all our remaining games, i'll lose the league on TD diff. If you win, i can at least control my own destiny.

Lots of ifs there of course :) but in that scenario there would be a final week title decider mega showdown between us, which would be cool.

But realistically, all the top 4 have a good shout to win the league still.

Fistandantilus
05-07-2010, 12:39:01
No worries, I'll try and play as slow as possible to reduce that time as much as I can. Happy? :D

Funko
05-07-2010, 12:41:05
And of course, if I win I could control my destiny too, and I have a slightly better TD difference than you. :)

Funko
05-07-2010, 12:41:20
x-post!

Funko
05-07-2010, 12:42:17
Fist - You've picked some annoying skills for all your upgrades, you wanker. :beer:

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 12:43:07
And of course, if I win I could control my destiny too, and I have a slightly better TD difference than you. :)

Yeah but i'm going to beat you :hmm:

Funko
05-07-2010, 12:44:14
If results go the right way I could win it with a draw (except Fist will probably win tonight). :cry:

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 12:46:11
An interesting skillset i saw for gutter runners on fumbbl was dauntless and horns. that means they can get a 2d blitz on any str opponent. with ma9 that makes for a rather amazing prospect.

Funko
05-07-2010, 12:56:35
Wow. Great idea.

Fistandantilus
05-07-2010, 12:57:44
I don't think it works??
Horns add strength before dauntless kicks in I believe. I'll have to check.

Funko
05-07-2010, 13:00:22
3rd promotion Frenzy? ;)

Funko
05-07-2010, 13:02:15
Fist's right, from Dauntless:

"The strength of both players is calculated before any defensive or
offensive assists are added but after all other modifiers."

But this is in section marked as a changes in LRB5, if FUMBBL is still on LRB4 it might work differently there.

Fistandantilus
05-07-2010, 13:02:26
A quick search gave me this:

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6765&p=92059

Not sure it is to trust but still... it seems those skills don't stack this way.

Fistandantilus
05-07-2010, 13:02:49
Ahhh ok, sry. And xpost too :p

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 13:03:12
I don't think it works??
Horns add strength before dauntless kicks in I believe. I'll have to check.

ah you're right, they changed the way those skills worked between LRB4 and 5

Funko
05-07-2010, 13:03:45
We all got there at the same time. :D

Funko
05-07-2010, 13:04:11
Beta's first beastman to get Frenzy is always a bitch.

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 13:13:16
frenzy is certainly delicious for surfing those players one square from the sideline. i surfed a couple of ric's players yesterday with my troll slayers but no deadly results unfortunately. not sure if it's the same in lrb 5 but on fumbbl you can't use apoth on crowd surf injuries. i lost an amazing orc blitzer that way, 6 games, 3 TDs, 5 cas. crowd surfed to death. nasty.

speaking of beta, he'll have a mino on board for his last two matches. should make short work of the skaven and elves he'll be facing :D

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 13:17:19
I'm wondering if it's still mathematically possible for me to win the league if all the results go my way...?:cute:

Funko
05-07-2010, 13:18:57
:lol: Just logged in to BBD to check and I see most of our league is online right now. :D

Funko
05-07-2010, 13:20:57
Quick answer, I don't think it's theoretically possible. KG, Fist, Beta and I all play at least 1 of each other. If they are all draws a couple of people end up on 10 points with better TD difference than you, if some people win we get at least 2 people on 11 or 12 points.

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 13:22:19
Damn!:(

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 13:23:37
:lol: Just logged in to BBD to check and I see most of our league is online right now. :D

Highly ironic considering how we're all supposed to be working now and how notoriously difficult it is to get people to organise matches during their supposed free time!:lol:

Er, PHd...

Funko
05-07-2010, 13:24:11
If we could play at work it'd be fine!

Funko
05-07-2010, 13:24:38
But I think Shakey has mondays off and K_G doesn't work so actually it's only me and you. :D

Beta1
05-07-2010, 17:02:34
Beta's first beastman to get Frenzy is always a bitch.

Only if you keep sticking your players near the side of the pitch!

generally put frenzy, block, mighty blow on BM who are there to annoy but to be honest not many survive to the third skill!

off line i did get a frenzy/str 4 BM, with horns thats a STR 5 block. Also had STR5 CW. Like having an extra big guy in the line.

Funko
05-07-2010, 18:46:40
Not many blood bowl players of any type survive to 3 skills I don't think.

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 20:05:14
LOL, the usual technical issues before a game...

At least Phil's shown me how to put the game in windowed mode.:beer:

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 20:06:10
what you can post here but not reconnect?!

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 20:07:45
Huh, it says you're offline!:confused:

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 20:08:33
it says you're connecting...

restart hamachi, i think you disappeared not me

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 20:09:45
It says I'm ready and you're connecting to me

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 20:10:27
how very perplexing. i restarted hamachi and it said the same as before

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 20:10:27
Exited and reopened!

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 20:10:50
first time you were blue rather than green, then you were flashing green, now blue again

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 20:11:27
Powered off, restored and currently resolving...

The Shaker
05-07-2010, 20:12:01
It's like watching the chuckle brothers.

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 20:12:03
You were the same. Now 'probing'...:brwncard:

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 20:16:18
It's like watching the chuckle brothers.

Shut up you.:p

Funko
05-07-2010, 20:46:28
X-Rats 2-1 Clar Karond Ravens.

A tough match... I really felt the difference with all his levelled players. Although I did buy a witch elf mercenary which made a huge difference (she ended up scoring my TD after a couple of unlucky blocks kind of forced me into it. D'oh.).

This just took me totally back to last season, and pretty much every game I played! 2-1 loss after going 1 up and sustaining massive casualties.

Both times he scored on the last turn of the half. Once again attrition took it's toll. 3 injuries and 2 KOs during the game (1 apothecary saved death, down to fractured leg. grr)

I got an amazing number of 2+ failures, after mocking Fist's attempt in the first half to make a 2+ pass, with his player with pass. He was deep in his own half after picking up the ball for the SPP. I don't think I made a 2+ after pointing out they fail 1/6 times! 3 GFI out of 5 failed. :cry: And my luck against Beta in blocking was evened out in this game too. :D

Good game. :beer:

Funko
05-07-2010, 20:47:52
Needless to say I didn't earn the 30k I needed to buy my own witch elf.

Illi, I can play Thursday/Friday this week or any evening next week I think.

King_Ghidra
05-07-2010, 20:51:35
lost conn on turn 4. why does this game not have a save/load feature again?

waste of time.

Funko
05-07-2010, 20:53:30
:(

MOBIUS
05-07-2010, 20:56:01
Gah! I think my connection dropped for... just over a minute!!!:(

K_G was just over the halfway line grinding inexorably forward for a TD when it tanked!

One funny moment was Boris Blackdeath getting stunned on virtually the first play of the game - clearly he was being targeted after all...;)

Hopefully will replay tomorrow.

Fistandantilus
06-07-2010, 10:29:45
This just took me totally back to last season, and pretty much every game I played! 2-1 loss after going 1 up and sustaining massive casualties.

Yeah, that happens to me a lot too. Playing fragile teams often means you end up being outnumbered in the endgame.
I started, when I can, to kick first against bashy teams for that reason. I want to be even in numbers in defense as that is the most difficult part.

In the game lost vs K_G I was down to 5 players vs 10 and still managed to have a chance of scoring in the last turn (which failed cause the pass was intercepted but..)

Dodging/ball handling/speed advantage ensure you have a chance even heavily outnumbered but don't help much in defense.
In a 5 vs 10 players game I'd pick a 0-1 ball in hand situation over a 1-1 ball to the opponent one. The latter one is doomed. You can't break the cage when outnumbered.

Kicking first helps as defending with 11 players gives you a good chance of breaking the cage or forcing the opponent to score earlier than he wanted to giving you a few turns to try and tie the game before halftime. Of course sometimes you get crushed in the first turn but so far my experience is positive.

Random thougths on yesterday game.

Bench
I was unsure if it was a good idea to buy an extra linerat (already had 12 players) prior to the match as I didn't want to inflate my TV too much but I'm glad I did. Suffered three cas (one on the very first turn) and a ko and being able to replace injured rats was crucial. Of course the recently hired Mystique stayed on the pitch a whole lot of 2 rounds before a little red cross popped up her head but still.. :p

Strange rolls.
Professor X is as inconsistent as he can be. The match before this one he proved to be a sure passer, now this accuracy, pass thower failed pretty much every pass attempt. A 3+ medium pass (rerolled) that would have probably resulted in a td was misfired horribly. Lucky enough the Ravens picked the ball up just to fumble it again in the very same turn :D Another 2+ rerolled... another incompletion. Had it been the catch roll to fail I could understand but this.. I'm glad Funko was gracious enough to miss his fair share of easy rolls too.

MVP
Without doubts the dark elf witch. She was involved in pretty much all critical plays. Catched a pass to score a td, caused an injury pushing out of bounds a gutter runner, was the last hope Funko had to stop me from scoring on last turn and had an amazing moment when surrounded by rats survived 3 blocks in a single turn dodging out of the way every single time. She seemed to be all over the place and a constant threat, as Funko said during the game when these things get block they truly shine.

Funko
06-07-2010, 11:07:52
only downside was that I'd had some fairly successful play, using a more cagey, bashy style and she encouraged me to try some risky plays that didn't really have much chance of success.

King_Ghidra
06-07-2010, 22:53:23
Da Inglourious Basterds 1 - 2 Karak-Drak Frostbeards

A fourth win in a row for the Dwarves keeps them vying for the title, but much of the discussion of this match will revolve around the naive Orc defending that allowed the winning touchdown.

The Frostbeards won the toss and elected to receive the kick, and when the ball came down into the hands of Blitzer Lokli, he wasted no time in setting off for the Basterds line. Some good early blocking made a path down the sideline, including sending Boris Blackdeath into the KO box. Ultimately the Dwarves found a smooth passage to the endzone, and Lokli trotted in for the opener.

There was still plenty of time left in the first half, and the Basterds came out looking for an immediate response. Sadly they hadn't counted on the travelling Frostbeards fans, who were fully tanked up on Norscan lager, and who stormed the pitch en masse, setting off a mass brawl across the stadium. When the dust settled, over half the Basterds were face down in it, and they had to restrict their ambitions to resisting Dwarven pressure as the half ended.

With the Dwarven fans now under the watchful eye of an Orc military detachment, they received the second half kick-off without further impediment. Following a heavy mid-field melee, a Basterds Blitzer received a short pass from Boomer Esiasun and sprinted clear of the line. Only Runner Burlak Blasthammer stood between him and the endzone, and he duly delivered a perfect piece of safety play, knocking the Orc down and the ball out of play. The coaches held their breath as the ball was knocked back onto the field, and it landed in an empty patch in the centre of the Frostbeards half, within reach of both teams. The Frostbeards gamely attempted to shut down the free orc players, but they had reckoned without the agility of Lineman Kriss Krocker, who showed a hitherto unseen elegance in evading one tackle, picking up the ball, and then dodging past two further desperate Dwarven tackles to equalise the scores.

With half of the second half remaining, the Orcs now knew a sturdy defence would be required to hold out for the draw. Burlak Blasthammer took the kick-off and some good Dwarven blocking left most of the Basterds on their backs once more. At this point the Orcs made a mistake at precisely the wrong time. Three players on the opposite side of the pitch to Blasthammer, either at the coach's instructions, or from a simple rush of blood to the head, decided to try and flank the dwarven line. Sadly they had neglected a huge sideline hole on the near side of the field, and Burlak and his blockers ruthlessly exploited it, leaving the over-enthusiastic Orcs standing in acres of space and now way behind the play. The Orcs on the line desperately tried to sure up the defence, but they were outnumbered, outblocked, and out of position, and as the final whistle sounded, Blasthammer crossed the line untouched for the simplest of scores to win the match.

Basterds coach Mobius was reported to be furious after the match, and no reporters were brave enough to ask him for his opinion on the final moments. Frostbeards coach 'King' Ghidra, meanwhile, was simply pleased for the win:
'The season is full of small moments like that, whether it's mistakes in tactics or technique, you have to overcome them or deal with them. I can't worry about that now though, we have one game remaining and we have a chance to win the title. If you'd offered me that before the season I would have been happy with it.'

When asked if he thought the X-Rats v Blockers game was the pivotal remaining fixture, Ghidra broadly agreed:
'Well that is going to be a big match, and I know the Blockers will give those Rats a hell of a game, firstly because they're a hell of a team, as my lads know all too well, but also because they are chasing that title themselves. I'm sure it'll be an incredibly tight finish, and that's as it should be, because it's been a very closely contested league. However, my boys won't be taking anything for granted - our priority is to beat the Ravens, or it won't matter what happens anywhere else.'

Fistandantilus
06-07-2010, 23:12:53
Grat piece of narrative K_G :beer:

Funko
07-07-2010, 07:48:51
:beer: It's really shaping up to be an exciting end to the season.

MOBIUS
07-07-2010, 21:51:20
Yes, what an appalling end to a promising game - defeat snatched from the jaws of, er, a draw - just when the Basterds thought they had a famous result in the bag...:bash::bash::bash:

The game started off fairly predictably with the Frostbeards marching with purpose into the Basterds' endzone within about 5 turns. Cunningly the Basterds had kicked to someone other than the Frostbeards' star running back - only for another Dwarf to guide it into the endzone via an efficient use of the cage and some devastating blocking and knocking Boris Blackdeath out in the first turn...

The Basterds had several turns to try to score for themselves, however a highly effective pitch invasion snuffed out any hopes of that by stunning an incredible 7 out of 11 players including the entire backfield - damage limitation and a cheeky 1SPP pass was all that could be done under the circumstances.

In the second half the Basterds received the kick off and loaded the right hand side of the field with an offensive wedge. After trying to break down the extremely stubborn Frostbeard guards, the Basterds spotted and were able to exploit a weakness in the Dwarven line and were able to create a hole via some neat cross-blocking play.

A quick shovel pass from Boomer Esiasun to J.P. Fascist allowed him to break deep into the Frostbeards' backfield with only Burlak Blasthammer playing in the safety role to beat, who was able to execute a desperate tackle, spilling the ball out of bounds...

The ball was recycled back into play in the middle of the Dwarven backfield where Kriss Krocker was able to pounce on it and scamper to within touching distance of the endzone as two Dwarven defenders sought to track back and sandwich him in a frenzy of bearded stuntiness! Somehow Krocker was able to dodge free for an impressive Touchdown from broken play!

At this point Coach MOBIUS felt sure that his team was virtually guaranteed to hold on for a famous draw, but he hadn't counted on a couple of things...

Firstly the exuberance of a rookie Takeo Spikz and another Blitzer who's managed to escape without being recognised in the ensuing melee as they let their inexperience carry them far into the Dwarven backfield - but alas, also far away from the action!!!

This impetuous play, coupled with a risk averse anti-surfing defence employed by Coach MOBIUS, allowed the Frostbeards to storm down the Basterd's right touchline at full speed and untouched for Burlak Blasthammer to literally walk in his 5th TD of the season!

Naturally, Coach MOBIUS pointed the finger of blame at the players instead of the coaching staff and has categorically denied reports that he'd been overheard admitting to the Frostbeards coach 'King' Ghidra that he'd ****ed up and that it was all his fault, and instead mumbled something about taking solace from the fact that they're only one of two teams to score against the Frostbeards this season!

MOBIUS
07-07-2010, 22:02:04
BTW, Shakey, whenever you're ready for the last game...:beer:

Funko
08-07-2010, 07:45:19
:beer:

Is Illi around do you know?

Fistandantilus
08-07-2010, 08:21:28
I wonder when allo those Jims and Bobs will be available to play too :p

illi
08-07-2010, 12:56:01
Hey funkster, Bring it on! the lowly muggers may yet prevent your passage into Middle Europe! Free most evenings for bringing on.

Funko
08-07-2010, 13:03:38

Monday or Tuesday next week probably best for me I think?

illi
08-07-2010, 13:55:25
ok let's aim for Monday.

Funko
08-07-2010, 14:06:11
Cool, 8pm ok?

illi
08-07-2010, 14:52:51
8pm start great.

Funko
08-07-2010, 14:55:12
Excellent. :beer:

Beta1
08-07-2010, 17:20:35
I wonder when allo those Jims and Bobs will be available to play too :p

Will ask my manager and let you know.

Beta1
08-07-2010, 20:10:51
apparrently I'm free saturday evening, otherwise its looking like next week

Fistandantilus
08-07-2010, 21:20:19
Can't play on week-ends :(

Monday or tuesday maybe?

Beta1
11-07-2010, 07:34:18
Lets say tuesday 9pm and I'll try and bribe the boss.

Fistandantilus
11-07-2010, 19:19:41
Ok :)

Funko
12-07-2010, 19:08:21
And we're off! He has 170k to spend, wonder what on...

Funko
12-07-2010, 19:08:48
Nothing really costs less than 100k, ah ok, an extra re-roll.

Funko
12-07-2010, 19:15:11
Ah connection hell.

Funko
12-07-2010, 19:48:39
After 46 mins the ball hasn't even landed yet from the kick off. We call it a night.

Fistandantilus
12-07-2010, 19:59:10
That's a helluva lot high kick!

MOBIUS
12-07-2010, 20:54:51
Bummer :(

Funko
13-07-2010, 07:49:34
We tried 3 restarts. Was just hell. We'll try again on Weds evening.

BTW MOBIUS, Illi, worth reading through a couple of these troubleshooting things to see if they might make any difference:

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15763
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14131&start=50

Funko
13-07-2010, 07:52:12
Also this is interesting about the config file:

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?p=216959#p216959

I definitely think turning the UDP flood protection off on my router helped things (from one of the first two links). That's maybe worth a go.

MOBIUS
13-07-2010, 11:01:07
Well I’m mostly OK now – but will be changing ISP provider soon!

My only problem now after the big issues I had at the beginning, which seem to be fixed, esp as I also take it off wifi when I’m playing, is that every so often my connection has been broken for a minute or so. Though this doesn’t seem to have happened for the last few days…

Funko
13-07-2010, 11:47:54
Ports, router make, Wifi, Udp flooding seem to be the major culprits, in order.

illi
13-07-2010, 12:01:43
most of the info on those discussions is whooshing over my head I'm afraid, but will have a look at my Antivirus and perhaps the port thing we could go through if similar probs on Weds.

Funko
13-07-2010, 12:03:20

Funko
13-07-2010, 12:03:50
It's ridiculous that we should have to consider a lot of that stuff at all.

MOBIUS
13-07-2010, 15:39:33
I blame the French!:gasmaske:

Funko
13-07-2010, 15:40:41
Quite rightly.

Beta1
13-07-2010, 21:40:41
Beta 1-1 Fist

another bloody draw

Quick summary, Fist recieves, gets mugged, minotaur goes bonkers and flattens half of the rats, I score

Second half, I recieve, head up pitch, need 1 defender down on a 2d block with reroll to score. Of course I fail, then fail 4 more 2d blocks (some with rerolls), Fist gets ball and scores.

I KOed a lot of his, he hurt some of mine, I nearly killed his thrower but for an apoc, he put out one of my CWs for a game. and of course my MVP goes to one of only 2 players on my team who can't level up. 47 SPP now with only 2 players levelled.

Don't get too happy about that CW Illi - I have a minotaur to replace him

Funko
14-07-2010, 08:17:29
Double post!

Funko
14-07-2010, 08:17:44
Fascinating, we need MoSe to do the analysis of what the potential results are!

So with most players having only a game to play, and me and Illi with 2 the situation is as follows.

If the Frostbeards beat the Ravens they win the league. If the Frostbeards draw with the Ravens the X-Rats win the league.

The Ravens can theoretically win the league but they'd need to win both their last two games with a TD difference of +6. Which seems highly unlikely. On the other end of the scale they need a point to guarantee 4th place.

The tree muggers have 2 games against top 4 opponents but could theoretically finish as high as 4th, as could Da Basterds. The Raging Storms can't get any higher than 5th, and have a huge 6 pointer vs the Basterds to avoid the wooden spoon.

Team TP MaxP CurP TD High Low
X-Rats 0 13 13 8 1 2
Frostbeards 1 15 12 2 1 4
Blockers 1 12 9 4 2 4
Ravens 2 13 7 3 1*2 6*5
Basterds 1 7 4 -2 4 7*6
Muggers 2 7 1 -10 4*5 7
Storms 1 4 1 -7 5*6 7

TP = Number of games left To Play
MaxP = Maximum available points
CurP = Current Points = minimum points available
TD = Current TD difference
High = Highest position they can finish in the league
Low = Lowest position they can finish in the league
x*y only possible with massive TD difference change
y represents the lowest/highest position that's likely without freak results

MOBIUS
14-07-2010, 11:15:13
An uncannily MoSe-like statistical analysis there! He would be proud of you if only he still posted here...:cute:

Funko
14-07-2010, 11:36:00
He would have had a match by match analysis, probably a graph...

King_Ghidra
14-07-2010, 12:23:33
47 SPP now with only 2 players levelled.

wow :eek:

Fistandantilus
14-07-2010, 12:40:39
Not to mention the journeyman mino yesterday got 6 SPP himself :o

Funko
14-07-2010, 12:45:18
:lol:

Beta1
14-07-2010, 18:16:53
yeah. I'm waiting for season 3 - if things go right in my last match I could start the season with a lot of L2 players. The way I play I really need a ball carrier, a couple of defensive BM (with things like tackle/tentacles or similar to tie up runners) and a couple of attacking BM (block or frenzy).

so far I have a ball carrier and a attacking BM, but I have a lot of players 1 point off L2.

Funko
14-07-2010, 18:44:29
Here we go again... fingers crossed

Funko
14-07-2010, 18:52:52
Aw shit, I won the toss and chose to receive, I meant to kick.

Funko
14-07-2010, 18:54:12
And of course it's a blitz result.

Funko
14-07-2010, 19:08:44
Turn one the goodie goodie wood elves get a man sent off!

Funko
14-07-2010, 19:25:47
Turn 4, Ravens score. Ravens down to 10 due to a KO, Muggers have a man sent off and one badly hurt.

Ouch, the muggers are brutalised off the kick off due to a pitch invasion.

Funko
14-07-2010, 19:31:48
5 players down out of 9 on the pitch.. their thrower ends Ravens turn 6 surrounded by 4 dark elves.

Funko
14-07-2010, 19:39:18
End of Raven turn 7, we've got the ball back and they only have 4 men standing

Funko
14-07-2010, 19:40:17
he blitzes the ball carrier (who was the journeyman who it bounced into after the last scatter), but it goes to my blitzer, the one I wanted to score!

Funko
14-07-2010, 19:45:11
ARGH! I'm such a twat

In trying to get a 3D blitz to get the ball carrier into the end zone I blocked off where the man woul dhave to run with his thrower. ARGH. Left to try a ridiculous 4 dodge move with no re-rolls. He can't score so worth the risk but ARGH.

Funko
14-07-2010, 19:47:43
2nd half starts, 7 muggers vs 10. Me to kick. 1-0, should have been 2.

Funko
14-07-2010, 19:48:19
Forgot to mention his dancer got KOed on the last turn dodging in to try and pick up the ball. D'oh.

Fistandantilus
14-07-2010, 19:56:53
Go muggers!

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:02:27
No mistake this time, 2-0 his turn 11

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:04:02
one of his KOs comes back, and my guy is still out after 3 rolls to wake up! 10 vs 8, I did gouge an eye but he apoced that guy and he's back on.

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:16:16
3-0!

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:18:08
My KOed guy still doesn't wake up. I get an extra re-roll. His 13, my 12.

My KOed guy is Iceroy Snaketracer, what's the betting he gets MOTM being KOed the entire match?

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:18:57
It should be 4-0 and I should be in with a shot of equalling the record. :(

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:25:25
I killed his thrower! And no apothecary left. Ouch. And to make matters worse (for him), I got the ball.

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:27:25
He's got it back.

Funko
14-07-2010, 20:29:42
Another kill!