PDA

View Full Version : Burghfield?

Resource Consumer
03-04-2010, 08:56:22
Hi twats,

Just when someone reappears on here, you can guess that they are asking for help.

I don't believe I am saying this, but moving to Reading is a distinct possibility these days. We were looking at buying a larger house round here but have to face that West London costs are just stratospheric. Since my job is opposite Paddington station then anything on the western mainline is interesting.

Anyway, there is something interesting at Burghfield and before we head off and have a look I thought I'd get a sounding off Reading-ites.

What sort of area is it? Good? What about local amenities? Train stations?

Provost Harrison
03-04-2010, 11:39:33
Chris de Burghfield?

Yeah, London property prices get on my tits too. I'm looking to buy somewhere, and I have quite a good bit of money to do so, but the cost...wow. I could get a mansion in the north for the same money.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
03-04-2010, 12:56:13
Tried google street view?

Looks like the average suburban hell.

Funko
05-04-2010, 11:25:55
Quite a nice area generally, a few new build suburban estates which Dyl has probably seen, also some nice older houses. It's really nice countryside around there.

Commuter wise you can get trains from Theale direct to Paddington, which is handy. They aren't that frequent though. More likely you'll have to change at Reading. Buses to Reading are every hour or so, more at peak times on the strangely named Vitality 2 (http://www.reading-buses.co.uk/april09/002MF25.html)!

It is quite in the countryside, some friends who live in Mortimer (just to the south) found the change from living in the middle of town to living in the sticks a bit of a shock, although Burghfield has a bit more going on than where they live.

Primary schools are apparently decent but not sure there's a good secondary school. Big supermarket at M4 J12, with a few other shops, Next, Boots, a Garden Centre and all that kind of crap, Theale has a small high street and a few pubs, no idea what that's like these days. K_G might have more insight..

No idea what pubs and things are out that way. We hired the old bus for the wedding from a man in Burghfield and passed a few decent looking country pubs on the way to his.

Provost Harrison
05-04-2010, 12:01:54
Middle of bleeding nowhere then?

Resource Consumer
06-04-2010, 09:26:07
Quite a nice area generally, a few new build suburban estates which Dyl has probably seen, also some nice older houses. It's really nice countryside around there.

Commuter wise you can get trains from Theale direct to Paddington, which is handy. They aren't that frequent though. More likely you'll have to change at Reading. Buses to Reading are every hour or so, more at peak times on the strangely named Vitality 2 (http://www.reading-buses.co.uk/april09/002MF25.html)!

It is quite in the countryside, some friends who live in Mortimer (just to the south) found the change from living in the middle of town to living in the sticks a bit of a shock, although Burghfield has a bit more going on than where they live.

Primary schools are apparently decent but not sure there's a good secondary school. Big supermarket at M4 J12, with a few other shops, Next, Boots, a Garden Centre and all that kind of crap, Theale has a small high street and a few pubs, no idea what that's like these days. K_G might have more insight..

No idea what pubs and things are out that way. We hired the old bus for the wedding from a man in Burghfield and passed a few decent looking country pubs on the way to his.

Thanks Funko. Much appreciated. Yes, it is the isolation that is the downside on this one. Still looks nice, though, but it has oil-fired heating (I hate that). Will need to think some more.

MOBIUS
06-04-2010, 09:33:08
Isn't oil-fired heating for when you're living in the wilderness, 100 miles from anywhere...?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
06-04-2010, 10:25:47

Is there some kind of old village center? The map was a bit confusing, burghfields all over the place....

Dyl Ulenspiegel
06-04-2010, 10:26:09
And oil-fired heating can be replaced, or?

Funko
06-04-2010, 10:39:54
Is there some kind of old village center? The map was a bit confusing, burghfields all over the place....

Sort of, I think where the two pubs are opposite each other on the main road, and yes. :)

Funko
06-04-2010, 10:40:41
And oil-fired heating can be replaced, or?

I guess the reason it's oil fired is that they aren't connected to the gas mains which would make it expensive.

mr_B
06-04-2010, 10:40:44
Yaaa Laz can fix that

King_Ghidra
06-04-2010, 10:58:04
K_G might have more insight..

Theale is just a small village with a giant business park bolted on.

I've been down to Burghfield to play football at the school down there (The Willink school iirc) but that's about all i know of it. My impression was that it was as pretty, quiet and middle-class as any other part of non-Reading leafy Berkshire.

For family life i'm sure it ticks all the boxes, but it would certainly favour driving, i 'm not sure how much fun the train service would be.

MDA
06-04-2010, 12:19:48
Yaaa Laz can fix that

:lol:

I hope he tries!

Funko
06-04-2010, 13:05:37
Burghfield, soon.

http://msrb.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/mushroom-cloud-hb.jpg

MOBIUS
06-04-2010, 13:20:36
It sounds like it should be a battle from the Civil War...

Dyl Ulenspiegel
06-04-2010, 13:38:27
A propos, from wiki:

"An Atomic Weapons Establishment is located in the parish. Known as AWE Burghfield, it is responsible for the final assembly of Trident mounted nuclear warheads, their in-service maintenance and their eventual decommissioning."

Go for it, Laz! Nuclear heating for RC...

MOBIUS
06-04-2010, 13:42:31
AWEsome!:bounce:

Now I remember why this all sounds so familiar as a friend got married at a country house round there - had to drive past Aldermaston.

Funko
06-04-2010, 14:03:29
A propos, from wiki:

"An Atomic Weapons Establishment is located in the parish. Known as AWE Burghfield, it is responsible for the final assembly of Trident mounted nuclear warheads, their in-service maintenance and their eventual decommissioning."

Go for it, Laz! Nuclear heating for RC...
Exactly.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
06-04-2010, 14:39:14
oh.