PDA

View Full Version : The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Walrus Feeder
23-03-2010, 23:48:03
9/10 Wow, what a film.

Might not be mainstream enough to be at your nearest cinema for long but this is a must see. A Swedish film taken from the pages of a novel by a Stieg Larsson.

You don't know quite what you're getting at the start of the film as the two main characters are middle-aged journalist Mikael Blomkvist and a Goth-Punk computer hacker called Lisbeth Salander with a troubled past. Their stories intertwine to focus on a murder of a 16 year old girl going back 40 years.

Part old fashioned whodunnit where everyones a suspect, part thriller and with some brutal and frightening elements i found this a constantly intriguing film that keeps you thinking and gripped throughout the 2 1/2hrs with gradually more light been shed on the mysteries of the plot and the female character.

MOBIUS
24-03-2010, 15:45:40
Definitely looking forward to this – checked and it’s still on next week.:bounce:

MOBIUS
31-03-2010, 20:53:30
Saw this tonight! One word - intense!

Everyone must see this film as soon as possible!

9.9/10

Walrus Feeder
31-03-2010, 23:31:33
:beer:

Nills Lagerbaak
04-05-2010, 08:01:19
I have to concur with the general consensus. I really enjoyed this. The pace of the film was perfect, 2.5 hours sounded long but it didn't drag at all.Gripping!...9/10!

As an aside some of the actors also star in the series "Wallander" (the Swedish version) which is also great albeit a lot slower.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-05-2010, 08:09:32
I have concur with the general consensus. I really enjoyed this. The pace of the film was perfect, 2.5 hours sounded long but it didn't drag at all.Gripping!...9/10!

As an aside some of the actors also star in the series "Wallander" (the Swedish version) which is also great albeit a lot slower.

Cheshire Cat
04-05-2010, 10:53:16
isn't that Millennium Trilogy 1st chapter?
anyone read the book and cares to compare?

Nills Lagerbaak
04-05-2010, 11:38:27
It is indeed. Apparently (according to someone who read the book and saw it last night) it very closely follows the book with nothing toned-down or sweetened for a viewing audience.

MOBIUS
04-05-2010, 12:34:20
The Yanks have already decided to make a Hollywood version...:lol::rolleyes::bash:

MDA
04-05-2010, 14:56:19
Hollywood = toned down and sweetened, o/c :lol:

Fistandantilus
05-05-2010, 09:46:02
Maybe it's just me but I felt quite a few bits about Lisbeth past pretty unnecessary.

The parts with her tutor (sp?) in particular seemed to be put there just to 'shock' the viewer but add nothing to the actual story imo.

Good movie anyway, enjoyed it.

Nills Lagerbaak
05-05-2010, 10:00:21
I do agree some of it was gratuitous. A bit over the top too, but in a "Bourne" way rather than a Holywood way.

Cheshire Cat
10-08-2010, 13:48:32
haven't watched the movie yet but read the 1st book recently

I have to say that I was several times on the verge of chuking it in the first 50 pages. It was more boring than a financial newspaper (apologies to you economists there).
then it took off and lived up to the international praise it earned.

In the book the way she reacts to her tutor's violence seemed totally necessary to the development of her character.
I'm curious now to see how it got put onscreen

I object to the anglophone publishers choice to translate all 3 titles with the same "The Girl W..." pattern. Probably you need this lame marketing tricks to squeeze a few more bucks with "brand fidelizations" of the masses...
:rolleyes:
French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch translators (just to mention those you can check browsing languages in the wiki article)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Trilogy
were in general much more respectful of the original wording

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish title Män Som Hatar Kvinnor, literally Men Who Hate Women) had a cinema release on February 25, 2009.
The Girl Who Played with Fire (Flickan Som Lekte Med Elden) had a cinema release on September 18, 2009.
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (original Swedish title Luftslottet Som Sprängdes, literally The Air Castle That Exploded) had a cinema release on November 27, 2009

"Men who hate women" was much more pertinent to the essence of the story, as opposed to the merely descriptive dragon tattoo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_with_the_Dragon_Tattoo

DaShi
29-08-2010, 09:35:43
I disagree about the title. Men Who Hate Women would give me an entirely different impression of the book than The Girl title, especially since you would have to read more than halfway through the book for the title to begin becoming relevant. The Girl title tells me that this will be a thriller/mystery story with a little international intrigue. However, they could have translated it as "Men Behaving Badly," so be happy with what you've got. ;)

Now for the book itself. Not bad, but I'm not sure that it is worthy of all the praise it received. Yes, the first 50 pages were dull, but it was that section that really drew attention to the book in the States. It's discussion of financial fraud and the responsibility of the financial media was prescient. However, once it gets into the mystery, it really starts getting some steam. All the financial stuff becomes more than enough adequate background to establish the main non-"girl" character. The mystery reveals itself slowly but not frustratingly. The interaction of the characters is engaging enough to keep you occupied between new bits of information. However, it kind of drops the ball of mystery/thriller at the end. The reveal comes far too early and the rest of the book is a boring nearly 100 page denouement where everything works out for the good guys, who can do no wrong, and happy endings are handed out like flyers on the street.

I'm going to hold off on reading the 2nd book until I pick up the third because the description of the third tells me that the 2nd will end on a cliffhanger...

mr_B
31-08-2010, 07:46:03
brilliant movies brilliant books.
all the details in first one about the rape are totally necessary

MOBIUS
01-09-2010, 10:33:41
Off to see The Girl with the Fiery Crotch, or whatever it's called, tonight!

Fistandantilus
01-09-2010, 11:18:12
brilliant movies brilliant books.
all the details in first one about the rape are totally necessary

:lol:

devilmunchkin
29-09-2010, 07:41:25
I have to say I have 0 intention of seeing the English remake that is in production.

I really liked the current one - the Swedish one.

MOBIUS
29-09-2010, 09:25:03
I thought the same, but then I found out that David Fincher of Se7en fame is directing...

mr_B
03-10-2010, 17:14:10
so?

Scabrous Birdseed
04-10-2010, 05:36:51
Se7en was shit. David Fincher has killed every project he's ever laid his hands on, he doesn't know how to make a good-looking movie.

Not gonna see the Swedish one either, perhaps it's not so obvious to an outsider but every clip I've seen of it the dialogue is painfully stilted in the old theatrical tradition.

paiktis
05-10-2010, 09:21:09
Mediocre and complicated, unessential and a bit sick.

MOBIUS
05-10-2010, 11:09:01
Se7en was shit. David Fincher has killed every project he's ever laid his hands on, he doesn't know how to make a good-looking movie.

I seriously beg to differ.

Clearly you didn't enjoy Fight Club either, or Zodiac? Whilst Benjamin Button isn't really my cup of tea, I thought it was very well done as well.

Not gonna see the Swedish one either, perhaps it's not so obvious to an outsider but every clip I've seen of it the dialogue is painfully stilted in the old theatrical tradition.

I didn't think it was that stilted myself, but then I'm just a layman film watcher. I saw it and I enjoyed it greatly.

devilmunchkin
11-10-2010, 07:57:17
I just found out that the indi movie theatre in my town will not release the 2nd installment of the Swedish version. :( They put out the 1st movie (dragon tattoo), which I saw; but will go straight to Girl who kicked the hornet's nest.

:(

MOBIUS
11-10-2010, 11:50:01
Why!? :(

That's just idiotic. I didn't like the sequel as much as the first one, but that's like making you read a book with the middle taken out... :clueless: