PDA

View Full Version : What are your perfect albums

Funkodrom
17-05-2002, 11:11:27
This comes from a conversation I was having last night. I'm talking about albums where every second of every song is good, the production is perfect, you can't really think of any way to improve what is on the record.

For me:

Rage Against the Machine by Rage Against the Machine

Edgy, intense, constantly on the edge of losing control, brilliantly produced, great musicianship, innovative guitar work and sound, every song a classic and still sounds a lot fresher today than any other rap/rock band out there.

Snapcase
17-05-2002, 11:14:43
Oooh, tricky. Most of my favourite albums are inconsistent and volatile.

Innervisions by Stevie Wonder? It's the only album I've ever heard where no songs are below par.

Funkodrom
17-05-2002, 11:19:22
Yeah, I could only think of that one really. It's a very tough thing to say.

Guy
17-05-2002, 12:16:51
I can think of lots of perfect songs, but not too many perfect albums. Most every album I own has at least one song on it that I don't care for.

Casting about at random, I can come up with some contenders but I'm going to have to think a bit before truly bestowing "perfect" honors on anyone.

Birdland by Birdland presents an excellent, constantly building arc but contains a Janis Joplin cover that I usually skip.

Listen like Thieves by INXS holds lots of great memories for me that make this a perfect album for me to listen to, but I would have a hard time labelling as musical perfection.

Stone Roses first US release comes very close, this might be my pick, actually.

Achtung Baby by U2 is very solid all the way through, but doesn't quite carry me over the top.

Hmmm, I think in order to get a perfect album, I would have to take all my perfect songs and put them together on a compilation disk, probably.

Funkodrom
17-05-2002, 12:23:06
Is the first stone Roses US release the eponymous album? If so that's a good contender. Great album.

Guy
17-05-2002, 12:27:23
Yes, the self-named one is the one I'm speaking of. Excellent, excellent stuff.

Funkodrom
17-05-2002, 12:29:22
Yeah. I think I'd second that.

Vincent Fandango
17-05-2002, 12:59:15
"Ting" by the Nits.
"Erewhon" by David Thomas and two pale boys
"Monarchie und Alltag" by Fehlfarben
"Skylarking" by XTC

MattHiggs
17-05-2002, 13:34:17
Morning Glory - Oasis
The Great Escape - Blur
Mosely Shoals - Ocean Colour Scene

PosterBoy
17-05-2002, 14:48:09
OCS creating a perfect album?

Patti Smith - Horses
Richard Buckner - Bloomed

FunkyFingers
17-05-2002, 15:42:44
Leftfield - Leftism

Absoloutely embodies excellent tracks, fantastic sound quality and very well produced, plus it was a complete genre-defining album that I can still listen to 8 years later and it still excites.

Funkodrom
17-05-2002, 16:01:47
Yeah. I think that in some ways it has to be a relatively old album so you can see how it ages.

walruskkkch
17-05-2002, 16:37:42
Greatest Hits - Dave Edmunds
Bat out of Hell - Meatloaf
Desire - Bob Dylan

Noisy
17-05-2002, 18:07:01
'Kimono My House' - Sparks
'The Roaring Silence' - Manfred Mann's Earthband
'Presence' - Led Zeppelin
'The Yes Album' - Yes
'Who's Next' - The Who
'Wish You Were Here' - Pink Floyd

Sean
17-05-2002, 18:13:09
The closest are OK Computer (Radiohead), the aforementioned Leftism, and Doolittle (the Pixies).

Adam Bomb
17-05-2002, 18:24:08
Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
A Storm in Heaven - Verve
OK Computer - Radiohead
liberator
Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa
DJ Shadow's first album
Nirvana - Nevermind
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
and many many more I probably shouldn't have forgotten
:gotit:

Adam Bomb
17-05-2002, 18:25:42
Oh yeah...
Dark side of the moon
Unfogettable Fire
The Top...
etc etc

Vincent Fandango
17-05-2002, 19:17:09
Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa That's a good album, but it sounds horrible. Some remastering would be nice. It sounds so powerless ...

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-05-2002, 19:48:06
Originally posted by Sean
and Doolittle (the Pixies).

Even "La, La, Love you"?

Funkodrom
17-05-2002, 20:00:59
Siamese Dream is awesome too.

Sean
17-05-2002, 20:31:22
Laz: strangely, yes. Only ‘Dead’ irks me on that album. LLLY is just a fun(ny) diversion.

Snapcase
17-05-2002, 21:25:19
I suppose The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society comes pretty close too. Or, to sound cliché, Pet Sounds.

Fun House isn't bad either, come to think of it. Heart of the Congos is pretty interesting, too...

Foetus
18-05-2002, 00:01:22
AC/DC - Back in Black
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel - Nail
Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist

Sean
18-05-2002, 00:09:09
Originally posted by Snapcase
Or, to sound cliché, Pet Sounds.
Completely forgot about that. Who needs the Beatles?

PosterBoy
20-05-2002, 11:17:40
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Even "La, La, Love you"?

I forgot Doolittle, that's definately in there. It was the soundtrack to my life at the time.

The uk surf mix of Wave of mutilation from the Pump up the Volume soundtrack should have been a hidden track though

Sean
20-05-2002, 16:22:32
That’s on the B-Sides CD.

RedFred
22-05-2002, 06:02:06
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Morcheeba - Big Calm
File - La Vie Maron
Najma - Qareeb
Queen - Queen I
Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
Black Uhuru - Anthem
Shriekback - Oil & Gold
Enya - Watermark
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Beck - Odelay
B52s - Wild Planet

OldWarrior_42
22-05-2002, 06:21:12
Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of The Moon, Animals and The Wall... Pink Floyd

Aqualung ... Jethro Tull

Black Sabbath's first album... with the witch bitch on the front cover.

Achtung Baby... U2

I might think of more at a later date.

:)

OldWarrior_42
22-05-2002, 06:35:13
B52's and Talking Heads... excellent selections. Matter of fact, I pretty much like and have all of the B52's stuff and The Talking heads ... Speaking in Tongues... and Little Creatures(?) cassettes, as well.

There are actually quite many albums I like from front to back.

Snapcase
22-05-2002, 12:27:10
If I had to pick a Talking Heads album it would have to be Talking Heads 77... But then I'm like that.

MattHiggs
23-05-2002, 10:38:00
Wow, I've never seen so much obscure music.

Noisy
23-05-2002, 14:31:08
Obscure, schmobscure.

Noisy
23-05-2002, 14:33:02
And that reminds me ...

OW prompts me to add 'Thick as a Brick' - Jethro Tull.
And I can't believe that I missed 'The Magician's Birthday' - Uriah Heep!

Debaser
24-05-2002, 09:43:36
Loads of good albums have been mentioned, but I'd add...

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Elastica - Elastica
Phoenix - United
Pearl Jam - Ten

Probably more.....

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 09:45:13
Hey Mikey!

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 09:45:53
Even if I didn't recognise the name I'd recognise those albums. :D

Debaser
24-05-2002, 09:46:43
Hi Mike,

How do I add a little picture thing to my profile?

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 09:48:03
Go to settings (top right hand side), then click the link to options, at the bottom it says Change Avatar.

Debaser
24-05-2002, 09:56:54
Can you see a monkey?

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 09:57:16
No.

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 10:00:32
What size is the picture? Has to be 60 pixels by 60 pixels maximum.

Try this link:

http://www.counterglow.net/forum/member.php?s=&action=editavatar

Then click the Browse button (next to choose an image from your computer) choose the image and then click submit button.

Debaser
24-05-2002, 10:05:28
That's what I've been trying. My picture keeps getting rejected on the grounds that it is not a Jpeg or GIF
despite the fact that it is obviously a Jpeg?????

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 10:33:56
I got your e-mail, I forgot you were on a Mac, I think it's a general problem the uploads only seem to work on Internet Explorer on windows, Opera doesn't work either.

Debaser
24-05-2002, 11:10:56
Opera? Sorry Mike, don't know what you're on about.

Other flawless albums:-

Doggystyle - Snoop Doggy Dogg

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 11:12:33
I tried, didn't work so I saved the image on my PC and then uploaded it and it worked. You can change your password back now if you want.

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 11:24:49
Back to perfect albums, it's not a real album in the US but the Jurassic 5 self titled album they released here which was a combination of their 2 US EPs is perfect.

Debaser
24-05-2002, 11:53:22
I nearly mentioned J5, but wasn't sure if it was good enough. What about Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)?

Thanks for sorting the monkey.

Funkodrom
24-05-2002, 12:14:58
Enter the Wu-Tang is a great album.

There isn't a bad track on J5 and it sounds great.

mr.G
07-10-2005, 13:48:30
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Hey Mikey! you are so fine you blow my mind Hey Mikey

hehehehehe

MattHiggs
07-10-2005, 14:04:52
Ocean Colour Scene - Mosely Shoals
Oasis - What's The Story
Oasis - Defintely Maybe
Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (?)

MattHiggs
07-10-2005, 14:06:04
Oops - I already answered this thread :D

Ah well, I added two more.

novacane
07-10-2005, 14:51:40
but your taste hasn't changed too much

For me..............

Patti Smith - Horses (seconded)
Super Furry Animals - Lovekraft

Its a crime to interrupt either.

King_Ghidra
07-10-2005, 14:58:37
ooh lovekraft, bit soon to say eh, don't want to think about it for a while? what about one of the other older sfa albums?

and i clearly need to hear horses by patti smith, never heard a bit of it

novacane
07-10-2005, 15:09:19
Lovekraft IS the best SFA album in my opinion. That won't change. I've heard it enough times now to know that isn't a knee-jerk reaction.

Get Horses. Even if you don't like it - you should know about it.

Mr. Bas
07-10-2005, 23:56:08
There's very few I can think of that really have no weak moments at all. The albums that come closest are:

Husker Du - Zen Arcade
Tool - Aenima
Nirvana - Nevermind
Radiohead - OK Computer
Converge - Jane Doe

But even though the above cd's are brilliant, they still contain some songs that I'd never put on separately. They fit in the flow of the album though.

Greg W
08-10-2005, 01:35:52
Led Zeppelin - IV (or Runes/Symbols/whatever)
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
Cold Chisel - East
Jimmy Barnes - For the Working Class Man
Foreigner - Inside Information

Provost Harrison
08-10-2005, 02:00:00
Originally posted by MattHiggs
Ocean Colour Scene - Mosely Shoals

Now there's a blast from the past, I haven't listened to that album for some time now...

Lazarus and the Gimp
08-10-2005, 08:17:09
There's not one album I'd describe as "perfect". I can think of something I could see improved in every one, even if it's just the odd note.

The ones that come closest are...

"Astral weeks"- Van Morrison
"Five leaves left"- Nick Drake
"Loveless"- My Bloody Valentine
"All the pretty little horses"- Current 93
"Mezzanine"- Massive Attack
"The Velvet Underground and Nico"

Fergus & The Brazen Car
08-10-2005, 10:26:31
Brian Eno: On Land

The Associates: Sulk

Marvin Gaye: What's Going On

David Bowie: Station To Station

Portishead: Dummy

Patti Smith: Horses

Dusty Springfield: Dusty In Memphis

Kraftwerk: Radio Aktivitat

Aretha Franklin: Live At Fillmore West

Isaac Hayes: Hot Buttered Soul

Janis Joplin & Big Brother & The Holding Company: Live At Winterland

Roxy Music: For Your Pleasure

Grace Jones: Nightclubbing

P. J. Harvey: To Bring You My Love & B-Sides

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan: Mustt Mustt

Chaba Zahouania: Nights Without Sleeping

The Velvet Underground: Live 1969, I & II

Siouxsie & The Banshees: The Scream

Mari Boine: Gula Gula

U. Srinivas & Michael Brook: Dream

The Penguin Cafe Orchestra: Signs Of Life

Harold Budd: The Pavilion Of Dreams

Cabaret Voltaire: Micro Phonies

Shirley Brown: Woman To Woman

Mr. Bas
08-10-2005, 12:24:07
"The Velvet Underground and Nico"

That one comes close if it weren't for the three songs Nico did.

novacane
10-10-2005, 09:56:36
They're all "perfect" albums?

You must be easily pleased...........

Fergus & The Brazen Car
10-10-2005, 10:10:10
Originally posted by novacane
They're all "perfect" albums?

You must be easily pleased...........

I'm certainly not easily pleased, and my taste changes over time.

However, given the unlikely scenario of anyone anytime ever releasing a 'perfect' album, whatever strange beast that may be, then what I do is take some of my favourite artists and groups, look at their output, reflect upon the hours of pleasure certain releases have given me, and compare them with the mass of dross produced day after day after month after year after decade.
Certain albums hardly left the turntable or tape recorder after the day they were bought- 'Horses', 'Station To Station', 'Roxy Music', 'Marquee Moon', 'Music For Films', et cetera.

In comparison with some of the pap dribbled out of the shrivelled poisoned dugs of the music industry, then yes, these are some of MY 'perfect' albums, within those parameters.

And I forgot to mention:

D. J. Shadow: Endtroducing

Miles Davis: Sketches Of Spain

Sly And The Family Stone: There's A Riot Goin' On

Magazine: Real Life

novacane
10-10-2005, 11:13:16
As always, its a question of definition then.

I'm a huge Smiths fan but don't consider any of their albums to be perfect, despite playing them all to death. My 2 entries were albums which I consider to be "perfect" as a whole. Best and perhaps only to be enjoyed from start to finish. Perfect means perfect. Horses is perfect. I can't imagine anybody classing more than a handful of albums as "perfect". Its very high praise. Thats why I questioned so many nominations. Like you, there are countless albums which have given me immense pleasure but I would consider very few to be perfect. I think you're maybe lowering the bar of "perfect".

Fergus & The Brazen Car
10-10-2005, 11:45:07
As always, its a question of definition then.

I think you're maybe lowering the bar of "perfect".

No, I'm allowing for different tastes, and the utter unlikelihood of anything ever being perfect- whatever that is meant to mean.

Not everyone likes jazz, or ambient music, or electronic music, or funk, or soul, or disco or agit prop.

I have thousands of albums- and although I too listed 'Horses' I don't think it is actually perfect- Cale's production lets it down somewhat, and I still don't think 'Break It Up' quite fits in with the rest of the album, and the reggae lite of 'Redondo Beach' doesn't wholly work.

The cover by Mapplethorpe though, is very good indeed.

novacane
10-10-2005, 11:58:52
So why post it on a "What are your perfect albums" thread?

Thats my point. I wrongly but understandably assumed that you thought all your recommendations were "perfect" IYO. You misrepresented yourself. Thats all.

I share your reservations about "Break It Up" (sometimes I like it, sometimes not) but I disagree strongly about "Redondo Beach". I think its beautiful and all the better that its not in keeping with the album. I think Horses would be less diverse and interesting without it.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
10-10-2005, 12:20:31
So why post it on a "What are your perfect albums" thread?

Thats my point. I wrongly but understandably assumed that you thought all your recommendations were "perfect" IYO. You misrepresented yourself. Thats all.

No I didn't, since I set out afterwards the parameters for my interpretation of 'perfection'- what exactly is 'perfect' meant to mean in this context, or any other ?

Perfect production ?

Perfect cover art ?

Perfect lyrics ?

Perfect album length ?

Perfect personnel ?

I'm sure we could all compile lists of how much better album 'x' might sound if only guitar player 'y' or keyboard player 'z' had been able to play on it, and if only the record company hadn't chosen to release it in such a god-awful sleeve.

Bowie's 'Young Americans' would have been markedly improved had he left off the ghastly cover of 'Across The Universe', but to do so he might have had not to have met Lennon at the recording studios, and missed out on writing 'Fame'.

How does one compare 'Dummy' with Thin Lizzy's 'Live And Dangerous' in terms of perfection ? Or Chic's 'Risque' with Fairport Convention's 'Liege and Lief' ?

I can't see many heavy metal fans describing Eno's 'On Land' as perfect, for instance.

Debaser
10-10-2005, 12:26:02
I think you're over-analyzing a little... The thread means "What albums wouldn't you change a thing about", not what album's fulfil some abstract concept of perfection.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
10-10-2005, 12:32:09
Originally posted by Debaser
I think you're over-analyzing a little... The thread means "What albums wouldn't you change a thing about", not what album's fulfil some abstract concept of perfection.

Well this is the first post:

I'm talking about albums where every second of every song is good, the production is perfect, you can't really think of any way to improve what is on the record.

Every second of every song ?

Now come on, let's be serious. Not every artist, as Eno did, takes time to consider the interval between tracks on an album.

So that means not only the seconds of the songs have to be perfect, so would the timing of the gaps between them ....

I could wish that all Westlife albums were gaps and intervals. Now they'd be perfect for me then.

novacane
10-10-2005, 12:32:11
If you like music too much, the fun gets lost. I see evidence of that here. A lesson to us all.

I think you should go listen to ABBA and dance around your bedroom until you realise that music is better when you don't study it too much.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
10-10-2005, 12:39:03
If you like music too much, the fun gets lost. I see evidence of that here. A lesson to us all.

I think you should go listen to ABBA and dance around your bedroom until you realise that music is better when you don't study it too much.

Oh, don't be so bloody patronising.

I think you shouldn't assume people don't possess ABBA albums or the boxed set of their singles on c.d. , when in fact they do.

And what exactly do you imagine people 'do' to Aretha Franklin or Grace Jones ?

Read Kant's 'Critique of Pure Reason' before whipping themselves with bicycle chains ?

Not quite what I did to either 'Think' or 'Pull Up To The Bumper' .

novacane
10-10-2005, 12:51:24
Did I assume you didn't own ABBA?

The only point I make here is my original one. My initial surprise at your many entries to this thread has been kind of resolved by your new and murky definition of "perfect". I mean, even you don't consider your entries on this thread to be perfect, so why you chose to enter them on this thread is all that baffles me. Along with your new and murky definition of "perfect".

Fergus & The Brazen Car
10-10-2005, 13:02:34
Did I assume you didn't own ABBA?

Oh don't add being obtuse in addition to being patronising.

You certainly 'assumed' quite a lot- perhaps owing to your 'murky' interpretation of my perfectly standard English.

I don't need tiresome instructions on how to 'enjoy' or get the most out of music, or what music is 'for', thanks.

I mean, even you don't consider your entries on this thread to be perfect, so why you chose to enter them on this thread is all that baffles me.

Then judging by the parameters of perfection set out by the first post in this thread, by your own statements neither do you:

I share your reservations about "Break It Up" (sometimes I like it, sometimes not) but I disagree strongly about "Redondo Beach.

and yet you still listed 'Horses' as being one of your 'perfect' albums.

Perfect like:

...where every second of every song is good,

Evidently not.

novacane
10-10-2005, 13:16:54
Yep, fair enough. Let me explain.

Admittedly, I struggled to think of any "perfect" albums but Horses and Lovekraft make the cut IMO. I admitted occassional reservations about "Break It Up" and thats all. I still consider the album perfect. Just to make that clear.

Loving the labels you're giving me after only reading a handful of posts. Patronising, obtuse etc. Only when I want to be though, you'll understand. Today it feels right.

Still a bit unclear on what I have assumed here.

I can see quite clearly that you know how to enjoy music. You may have more entries on this thread than everybody else put together. It was merely your follow-up posts which gave the impression that you took it all far too seriously (as Debaser pointed out).

And that "perfectly standard English" stuff sounds like fun. If only we all had such wisdom. And humility.

Gramercy Riffs
10-10-2005, 13:23:09
Jesus Christ

Funko
10-10-2005, 13:37:40
Superstar? Is that your nomination?

Fergus & The Brazen Car
10-10-2005, 13:41:58

And that "perfectly standard English" stuff sounds like fun. If only we all had such wisdom. And humility.

Well golly gee. I'd imagined that 'Standard English' was fairly self-explanatory:

Publishers, writers, educators, and others have over the years developed a consensus of what standard English consists of. It includes word choice, word order, punctuation, and spelling.

As for humility- I leave it for those who have been humbled.

Loving the labels you're giving me after only reading a handful of posts. Patronising, obtuse etc. Only when I want to be though, you'll understand. Today it feels right.

Well if the Dutch cap fits. Perhaps you just can't help being patronising and obtuse.

Are you a Tory voter, by any chance ?

Now how did you put it ?

If only we all had such wisdom.

Why yes, oh guru, how sage, how knowing, how very 'humble' of you to offer such pearls of wisdom to us.

As a penance I'll try to listen to a Spice Girls album and see if I can get back in touch with the 'fun' I evidently lost out on listening to James Brown and The O'Jays.

novacane
10-10-2005, 14:01:42
I didn't mean to put your back up.

But how.

novacane
10-10-2005, 14:19:09
I like you though Fergus.

You show a passion I crave in others.

But the Tory stuff. Leave it out. No-one cares.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-10-2005, 19:47:42
If you spent all your teenage years with Thatcher as PM, you'd understand.

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-10-2005, 19:49:45
Originally posted by Mr. Bas
That one comes close if it weren't for the three songs Nico did.

Well one of the three is "All tomorrow's parties" which is my favourite Velvet's song, and in my top three of greatest songs ever.

I like the other two as well. I'd sooner listen to "I'll be your mirror" than "Black Angel's death song".

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-10-2005, 19:52:12
I'm a huge Smiths fan but don't consider any of their albums to be perfect, despite playing them all to death.

"Hatfull of Hollow" comes closest. It's brilliant.

The Norks
10-10-2005, 23:05:44
The only album I can listen to over and over again is Madonna- Ray of Light. I also love Blur- Parklife and Mozart's Requiem Mass and Chet Baker, and I listened to Neneh Cherry- Raw Like Sushi again recently and was loving it all over again.

novacane
11-10-2005, 09:49:53
"Hatful of Hollow" comes closest. It's brilliant.

Joint closest with Meat is Murder IMO, but amen to that.

Mr. Bas
11-10-2005, 12:25:31
Well one of the three is "All tomorrow's parties" which is my favourite Velvet's song, and in my top three of greatest songs ever.

I like the other two as well. I'd sooner listen to "I'll be your mirror" than "Black Angel's death song".

Well, to each his own I guess. I don't like her voice, her accent, her intonation, or anything about the way she sings. The actual songs are not that bad. But I would have thought that the 'Black angel's death song' is the kind of abrasive noisy song you'd like.

Eklektikos
11-10-2005, 14:36:16
If we're talking consistently brilliant with no duff bits, then I'd reckon that in my opinion these are about the most "perfect" albums I've heard thus far:

Naked City - Naked City

Fantômas - Fantômas

Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime

Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out

paiktis22
11-10-2005, 18:57:25
From the "rock" albums there aren't really albums.
But without question

Jesus and Mary Chain - The Singles.
The Ramones - Loco Live.

So one is a compilation and the other is a live album.

Kitsuki
12-10-2005, 10:45:06
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity.

Nills Lagerbaak
12-10-2005, 10:49:18
I probably wouldn't change much about appetite for destruction.

Greg W
12-10-2005, 10:50:34
True, that is a kick arse album.

Tizzy
12-10-2005, 10:53:50
Oh yeah, good call.

PosterBoy
12-10-2005, 21:47:42
Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac

Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Son Volt - Trace

Wilco - Being There

King_Ghidra
13-10-2005, 10:11:41
i'd love to say Nevermind, but i hate 'Polly' with some intensity

i was listening to elastica yesterday, i think that album has a good shout

let's say parklife by blur, can't think of anything i don't like on that

dark side of the moon by pink floyd, definitely

wu-tang clan, enter the 36 chambers

the doors, the doors

dr octagon - some of the tracks aren't so great musically, but i wouldn't have them any other way

Nills Lagerbaak
13-10-2005, 10:17:52
Oooh, definitely wu-tang, although there's a slower "love" song on there that is wack in comparison to the others.

A modern album that definitely makes the grade of pretty much perfect is pendulm's hold your colour.

I think eazy does it by eazy-e doesn't put a foot wrong.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-10-2005, 17:18:40
Originally posted by King_Ghidra

let's say parklife by blur, can't think of anything i don't like on that

Not even Damon Albarn?

King_Ghidra
13-10-2005, 17:27:59
:p

i don't much like justine frischman either, yet she has also managed to be involved in one of my 'perfect' albms, must be some horrible connection

devilmunchkin
13-10-2005, 20:54:32
Mer de Noms - A Perfect Circle
Antichrist Superstar - Marilyn Manson
The Fragile - NIN

Funko
14-10-2005, 09:19:51
Oooh. Mer de Noms, possibly.

Greg W
14-10-2005, 10:16:26
Actually, I am going to add to my list. Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet. Still love that album.

devilmunchkin
15-10-2005, 08:42:33
forgot some:
both Lateralus and Aenima by Tool

Mr. Bas
15-10-2005, 14:52:54
I listened to Weezer's first album again last week, it's still great from start to finish. Two other albums that deserve a mention are Madonna and Source Tags & Codes, both by ...And you will know us by the trail of dead. Consistently brilliant stuff, both of them.

Resource Consumer
28-10-2005, 14:31:23
Hmmmm. Missed this the first time round. Well, I suppose I would add some oldies to it.

Talking Heads - Fear of Music (not one of my real fave bands but a triffik album)
Marianne Fathfull - Broken English
Mano Negra - King of Bongo
Bettie Serveert - Palomine

These are all albums that when track one goes on then they stay on until the end of the last track

novacane
28-10-2005, 15:43:51
Originally posted by Resource Consumer
Talking Heads - Fear of Music (not one of my real fave bands but a triffik album)

Good call.

Gotta love the lyrics to I Zimbra. Well.............

Resource Consumer
28-10-2005, 15:56:14
I put them into my handheld translator........no luck

Walrus Feeder
04-11-2005, 22:27:04
Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins. Great variations of rock songs with cracking drumming by Chamberlain and some exhilarating guitar playing by Corgan and Iha, including a bit of noodling which sounds great now, even though it was all but out of fashion at the albums release in 1993.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
05-11-2005, 12:48:11
I put them into my handheld translator........no luck

Possibly because they're a made up language.

Like the lyrics to 'Kurt's Rejoinder' on Eno's 'Before And After Science'.

Do a search on the Dadaist poet/artiste Hugo Ball. Other poems of his have been recorded and set to music too.

novacane
08-11-2005, 18:28:11
You forgot to turn on your sarcasm detector Fergus. ;)

Resource Consumer
09-11-2005, 16:57:12
Damn, I was going to post much the same thing.......

HelloKitty
09-11-2005, 20:29:40
Indigo Girls - 1200 Curfews [LIVE]

I can't stand listening to the indigo girls studio albums, this one is all live tracks and you get to see what makes them so popular. It is a 2 CD set and every single track is amazing. Tons of covers, which I usually dislike, but these ruined some of the originals for me.

Picaresque -- Decemberists

Except track 6. I just don't like that track. So you can ignore this, but the rest of the album is great.

Boys for Pele -Tori Amos

The album that was the pinnacle of her sound, that she will never regain as she moves into a Neil Diamond/Elton Johnish old age. :(

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

Or you can get Add it up, the best of collection which has all those songs and some more, but a few crap ones.

novacane
10-11-2005, 20:17:39
Originally posted by Fergus & The Brazen Car
Like the lyrics to 'Kurt's Rejoinder' on Eno's 'Before And After Science'.

Do a search on the Dadaist poet/artiste Hugo Ball. Other poems of his have been recorded and set to music too.

I've never known such an encyclopedia of music in human form (if thats what you are!!). Its very admirable. Honestly.

But don't overdo it

Fergus & The Brazen Car
11-11-2005, 09:54:57
I've never known such an encyclopedia of music in human form (if thats what you are!!). Its very admirable. Honestly.

But don't overdo it

Go lick a dog's arse until it bleeds.

But don't overdo it.

novacane
11-11-2005, 13:56:46
Originally posted by Fergus & The Brazen Car
Go lick a dog's arse until it bleeds.

But don't overdo it.

Fergus, Fergus. If only you were able to take what I say as a compliment. Your knowledge of music is exceptional and something I admire. I have looked up a couple of your references which were unfamiliar to me and appreciate your sharing of your knowledge.

I just get the impression that you're trying to prove something with every post that you make. There's really no need. There seems to be a lack of emotion for the music itself and instead, your posts just come across as some kind of degree level essay quote. Like the quote I highlighted in my last post. I'd prefer to read your more emotive opinions. I hope you understand what I'm saying and don't take personal offence.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
11-11-2005, 14:20:41

I just get the impression that you're trying to prove something with every post that you make.

I'm sorry, the trains to Patronising and Sadly Mistaken left five hours ago.

If you want an accurate Impression, listen to Curtis Mayfield.

Chin chin.

novacane
11-11-2005, 14:37:41
Thats spooky. How did you know I got the train today? Its the first time I've got the train to work in about 6 months. You have a prowess beyond music it seems Fergus & The Brazen Car.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-11-2005, 14:46:41
People get ready, there's a train arriving

Nills Lagerbaak
11-11-2005, 14:48:44
don't need money.

Don't need no fame....

Resource Consumer
14-11-2005, 09:46:27
don't need no credit card?

novacane
14-11-2005, 10:16:43
........to ride this train!

to Patronising and sadly Mistaken (wherever they are?)

King_Ghidra
14-11-2005, 11:21:23
somewhere near Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, i bet

Resource Consumer
15-11-2005, 11:45:15
I think that's actually in Texas

Greg W
15-11-2005, 11:57:31
Feel the Love...

King_Ghidra
15-11-2005, 12:49:20
I think that's actually in Texas

no way, i watched too much wrestling to get that wrong. Mick foley's alter ego Mankind was from there.

Surprising story behind the name though:

http://www.desertusa.com/Cities/nm/Truth_orC.html

novacane
15-11-2005, 14:05:07
:lol: Fair play to them.

Lurker the Second
15-11-2005, 21:57:19
This week is the 30th anniversary of the release of the #1 album on my list -- Springsteen's Born to Run

Zopperoni
16-11-2005, 02:55:05
Personally, I like "Darkness on the Edge of Town" better.

Other personal favorites:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Bob Dylan - Desire
Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
Live - Secret Samadhi
Queen - A Night at the Opera
The Police - Reggatta de Blanc
Carlos Santana - Supernatural
U2 - Achtung Baby

Some good live albums:
The Rolling Stones - Stripped
Dire Straits - Alchemy
Golden Earring - The Naked Truth

I probably forgot a load of good stuff :)

novacane
16-11-2005, 14:32:39
Found out today that Horses was recently re-released with an additional cd containing the live performance of Horses at Royal Festival Hall last summer. I've only been completely spellbound a couple of times but this was one such occassion.

The original Horses has also been remastered, heeding the words of Fergus & The Brazen Car.

King_Ghidra
16-11-2005, 14:45:04
I've only been completely spellbound a couple of times but this was one such occassion.

i can guess the other time, it involved me and a copy of pes4

still, a good opportunity to pick up horses, off to amazon i go

novacane
16-11-2005, 15:10:50
No, it was you (correct), a karaoke machine and R Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly".

King_Ghidra
16-11-2005, 15:16:47
:lol: