PDA

View Full Version : The circus comes to town

RedFred
10-02-2010, 04:45:00
I am suddenly seeing a lot of people... people who throw trash on the streets... people who smoke in public... people who don't know where to stand and where to walk, people wearing fur-lined winter parkas instead of rain jackets - in short, tourists.

Due to the strange overlap on the 14th of the Olympics, Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year I am also seeing a lot of red. Most businesses and quite a few homes have given at least a token nod to the olympics, but I saw an excellent window display this morning with a mixed Year of the Tiger/Olympics theme.

Speaking of red, I am also hearing a lot of Russian spoken. With the next games in Sochi, they must have sent over a massive delagation.

My wife is taking two weeks off to volunteer for the Olympics. She must have been issued at least $600 of official volunteer clothing. The curling rink is only about 20 blocks away so her commute will be small. I have less flexibility with holidays this time of year but I still managed to take a week off, not to volunteer, but take in some of the events instead.

Not sure if anyone cares, but two days to go.:bounce:

Lurker
10-02-2010, 06:16:48
curling is the bestest sport ever. FACT!

Funko
10-02-2010, 09:07:32
Russia normally have the largest team after the USA even without them hosting the next one you'd expect there to be a lot of them.

Drekkus
10-02-2010, 11:21:28
I have never had so little interest in the Olympics as now

Greg W
10-02-2010, 11:31:03
No idea how the winter Olympics compares to the summer ones, but Sydney 2000 was awesome! Such a great atmosphere,e specially in the Olympic precinct. :beer:

Funko
10-02-2010, 12:59:44
Winter Olympics is mostly shit, a load of niche sports played by a handful of countries.

There are some good ones though. Curling obviously.

Debaser
10-02-2010, 14:29:11
After the World Cup, the Winter Olympics is planet earth's greatest festival of sport!

Evidence:
• Picturesque snow
• Foxy Scandinavian/Eastern European chicks
• Excessive cowbell

mr_B
10-02-2010, 14:32:57

listen to the knower!!

RedFred
10-02-2010, 14:36:40
A few years back I ran a marathon in Vancouver that had finisher shirts with a "runner in the rain" theme. The shirts were black and the "rain" was white. This was tempting fate. Not only was it a very rainy race, the poor back of the packers (4+ hours) got pelted with hail.

Similarly, VANOC has been telling everyone that this would be the greenest olympics ever. Again - tempting fate. Its green all right, but not in the way they intended. Cherry blossoms came out in January and I can now hike up to about 500 m in elevation. The local mountains are moving snow around to make sure that they have enough for the games.

Curling rocks. In some spots it is dubious if it is even a true sport. But in Canada it is a religion.

Cheshire Cat
10-02-2010, 14:39:58
No idea how the winter Olympics compares to the summer ones, but Sydney 2000 was awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Summer_Olympics

an international multi-sport event which was celebrated between 16 September and 1 October 2000 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
It was the second time that the Summer Olympics were held in the Southern Hemisphere, [...] and as a result of this location and the dates, took place in early spring

actually, the vernal equinox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernal_equinox) (the September one in Southern hemisphere) occurs mostly on Sep 22nd (or on the 23rd)
thus, 2000 "summer" olympics began in late winter (astronomically), and took place in the last week of winter and in the first week of spring

although Sydney's at the same latitude (33) of Baghdad, Phoenix, Long Beach, Atlanta (in the norhern hemi)
so albeit not being inside the tropics, its winters are not all that harsh anyway

Asher
10-02-2010, 14:43:13
Will Vancouver top Calgary?

Doubtful. The massive etiquette guide they provided to the locals says it all about Vancouver...

Asher
10-02-2010, 14:45:17
Excerpts from the manual that brings Vancouver up to speed with the rest of the world:

It is important to wear clothing that fits properly. Never dress in clothes that are too tight, they may make a slim person look gaunt and a large person look heavier.

Avoid wearing short socks. If they are too short, they may show bare leg when you sit down. Wear knee-high socks or stockings that reach above the calf. Socks should match pant colour.

A smile denotes warmth, openness, and friendliness. Smile "gently" and with sincerity. Be careful not to overdo it. False smiles can look artificial, and never-ending smiles may invite suspicion.

Looking into the other person's eyes shows your interest in the conversation. Do not however, stare too intently. Staring can be perceived as threatening

The whole thing is incredibly awesome:

http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Agf4rmsQNIj1u6m8cextu5gOlgY6/SIG=11sog7g1j/**http%3A//vancouver.ca/mediaroom/pdf/CoVProtocalManual.pdf

Yes, 137 pages of that stuff. Diagrams and photos included.

mr_B
10-02-2010, 14:47:03
A smile denotes warmth, openness, and friendliness. Smile "gently" and with sincerity.
:lol:

mr_B
10-02-2010, 14:48:18

even better than lawn bowles - FACT

Lurker
10-02-2010, 15:23:38
What does that vancouver guide have to say about scratching one's balls?

Greg W
10-02-2010, 15:28:39
thus, 2000 "summer" olympics began in late winter (astronomically), and took place in the last week of winter and in the first week of springThat's because if we held them in our summer the Brits would die of heat stroke!

mr_B
10-02-2010, 23:19:03
is it polite to punch a wife gently on the left tit?

Greg W
11-02-2010, 00:49:04
Is it polite to sleep with someone else's wife?

Asher
11-02-2010, 01:36:32
In Vancouver, it's standard practice.

King_Ghidra
12-02-2010, 15:23:13
keep us updated fred. i like to hear the insider track on organisational hilarity

RedFred
12-02-2010, 16:25:35
God. My wife got up at 3:30 AM to organize BC Place for the opening ceremonies. Feel like I never got a wink of sleep. Ah well... I should head off to work I guess.

Greg W
12-02-2010, 16:28:49
I am suddenly seeing a lot of people... people who smoke in public...I just realised - people don't normally smoke in public? WTF? :confused:

RedFred
13-02-2010, 14:06:59
is it legal in australia? seems very inconsiderate

mr_B
13-02-2010, 16:24:46
you are sooooo Vancouverish

Greg W
14-02-2010, 01:46:36
is it legal in australia? seems very inconsiderateYeah, it is banned in most indoor places, but outdoors is pretty much carte blanche. Can't smoke on public transport either. And we only just (last 6 months) introduced legislation that bans smoking in cars with children in them.

Back!
15-02-2010, 08:11:29
I can see teh point of it, but then:

if you smoke in your own house in the same room with your children, are you just a bad and inconsiderate parent, or is it also illegal?
How would it be different from doing it in your own car with your own children?

:hmm: