PDA

View Full Version : Terrybul behaviour!

Greg W
06-02-2010, 14:57:22
Just heard tonight that John Terry had lost the English captaincy after starring in a remake of the movie "A Bridge too far"!

What does the consensus seem to be from England? That he should have lost the captaincy as the position is an honoured one and he hasn't lived up to it? Or that what happens off the park stays off the park?

novacane
06-02-2010, 21:32:33
Had he killed somebody or committed a crime of some magnitude, I would agree with the decision to strip him of the captaincy. As it happens, he had it off with some loose tart who Wayne Brigde had been screwing. Who cares. Now we have Rio Ferdinand. What has been achieved here? We all feel better and congratulate ourselves upon seizing the opportunity to become a judge and jury on morals. This became a witch hunt because nobody had anything better to do.

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-02-2010, 23:39:16
some loose tart who Wayne Brigde had been screwing.

Interesting way to sum up a 4-year relationship with a kid involved.

And in any professional workplace, a team leader screwing one of his team's significant others can expect trouble, and probable a move off said team.

novacane
07-02-2010, 11:50:49
Well, she didn't seem to have much regard for it. I think we're being caught up in celebrity culture here. Why are we so concerned with the sex life of a footballer?

Greg W
07-02-2010, 13:54:37
Cos he's the England captain I guess. If he were just some Joe Schmoe I'd imagine it wouldn't be so big a fuss. But I guess that's partially why I asked, cos I wasn't sure.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-02-2010, 14:18:26
A captain's job is to motivate the team and keep it working together. Will cuckolding his team help that? And why shouldn't anyone who follows the Englad team voice an opinion on something likely to affect the team?

novacane
07-02-2010, 18:55:38
.....because it won't affect the team in the slightest. If anyone seriously thought that it would, Terry's place in the squad would also be called into question. Yet I have heard nothing to that effect. This is perhaps more about the England captain fulfilling a position as a role model, but looking to footballers to act as such has rarely been a good idea. Is Rio Ferdinand a better role model? Steven Gerrard? Wayne Rooney? All carry the stains of previous midemeanours at points in the careers. Chelsea seem happy for Terry to continue as their captain and why not. They are content to sweep it under the carpet and move on with minimal disruption. Had it not been for the tabloids and their readers baying for blood, England may well have chosen to do the same.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-02-2010, 19:14:40
.....because it won't affect the team in the slightest.

Fabio Capello disagreed, and I think I'd place more value on his opinion on this issue.

novacane
07-02-2010, 22:46:01
It would be naive for us to believe that this was Capello's decision.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-02-2010, 22:55:23
Really? He doesn't strike me as the sort of person willing to have selection choices forced onto him by anyone else. At the very least, I'm sure he'd bitch about that.

Greg W
08-02-2010, 00:13:32
.....because it won't affect the team in the slightest.Unless I am extremely out of touch, I dare say that it would effect Wayne Bridge at the very least. And things like that tend to have a way of galvanising people's opinions. Look at the Man City players wearing Team Bridge t-shirts. If you think that nobody in the England team will be effected I think you're being a little naive.

MOBIUS
08-02-2010, 12:46:53
Wasn't this Wayne Bridge's ex anyway?

Personally I am happy that this has happened as Terry shouldn't be allowed to get away with this sort of thing. No one should. And it is about setting a good example - or in football's case - not setting too many bad examples!

novacane
08-02-2010, 17:23:46
[QUOTE=Greg W;1007602]I dare say that it would effect Wayne Bridge at the very least. [QUOTE]

I would question whether Wayne Bridge even merits a place in the England squad these days. The likes of Stephen Warnock and Leighton Baines are (at least) equally good candidates for sitting on the bench until Ashley Cole gets injured.

I don't know if I'm playing this whole thing down too much, but can someone elaborate as to just how the England team will be affected by this affair?

It seems quite clear to me that Terry was not stripped of the captaincy because of football concerns i.e. effects on the team/squad. He was removed because he did something which just doesn't look good. Since when did being England captain begin to dictate who you can and can't sleep with. It's ludicrous.

I have no allegiances to Bridge or Terry. I don't feel sorry for either of them. As a neutral, I have found the whole episode quite amusing.

Lazarus and the Gimp
08-02-2010, 20:55:58
I don't know if I'm playing this whole thing down too much, but can someone elaborate as to just how the England team will be affected by this affair?

Short of claiming the powers of prophesy, or some utterly staggering application of theoretical physics, absolutely nobody can.

However I think it's simple common sense to suggest that someone in a senior position cuckolding his team is going to cause problems.

maroule
09-02-2010, 14:03:54
I wonder what's the moral ranking between Thierry's hand of god, and Terry fire in my loins

Funko
09-02-2010, 14:22:13
Well JT only fucked one woman, Thierry fucked the whole of Ireland!

Greg W
10-02-2010, 00:28:09
:lol:

Though I have heard rumors that this is far from the first time that Mr Terry has had an affair. I even listened to an English Journo explain on an Aussie show last night that Terry was "far from captain material" anyway. As a footballer and on field leader, they rated him as excellent, but they said morally he's far from being fit for the role.

Which made me wonder just what else he's gotten up to over the years as the journo didn't explain that part...

It also led to a long discussion about how the captains of the English Cricket, Rugby and Football teams are more than just being an on field leader, that they carry certain responsibilities as far as acting the part, being a good upstanding person and so on. Which then led to them questioning Rio's moral fibre, which they stated was perhaps not much better than Terry's...

Funko
10-02-2010, 08:57:20
Popbitch JT special:

>> John Terry: A mini special <<
A Popbitch tribute to the England captain

A sports magazine sent a couple of journalists
to interview John Terry, one male; one female.

At the end of the shoot JT and his
representative left. But then the agent came
back, to tell the girl that John wanted to
invite her to the upcoming Chelsea party.

In the time honoured tradition, she made
her excuses and left.

------------------------------------------------------
Did you know JT has scored 28 times at
the Bridge? Nah, nor did Wayne.

>> Team bonding <<
A grand don't come for free

Last autumn, one day after training, Chelsea
first-teamers were asked to stay behind for a
presentation. A man was brought in and talked to
them about a property investment offer overseas.
The players were then given a couple of grand
for listening, which left more than one of them
a little mystified.

It turned out that the property consultant
had arranged the talk through a man claiming
to be a representative of John Terry. And
he'd handed over a six-figure sum for the "in".

An anagram of Chelsea's John Terry is
Lecher Enjoys Trash.

>> Cashing in <<
It's all gold for Terry

Remember that email going round a few weeks ago
touting John Terry to brands and sponsors?
Well, it seems that Riviera marketing had given
Terry a wedge of cash to secure his image rights
and realised they needed to do something fast
to make back some money.

Add in Terry going to the Sun (the paper who
refused to keep quiet about his mum's
shoplifting) to secure another 300 grand for
writing columns, and he looks like a man who,
despite the 150k salary a week, is in need of
cash. As Kelvin Mackenzie said in the Sun
today "How much money does he need? Or are
those stories about his gambling debts true?"
Wouldn't it be funnier if it was for paying
off kiss and tell girls - Tiger Woods
style. Or like a recent foreign Premiership hero,
who has only managed to make sure his name is
not synonymous with cheating by being very
generous to girls and the media.
Or at least that was the case back then.

Any girls out there expecting a Terry-fuelled payday
should hurry to tabloids now. The first of Tiger
Woods' mistresses was offered 150k by NoTW. The
12th? Not much more than a fish supper and bus fare.

>> Reign of Terry <<
Chelsea managers put in place

John Terry is often blamed for hastening
Mourinho's departure but a club insider tells
us he could have played a part in Avram Grant's
demise too. Alleged Thai-fancier Avram was
attacked in the press by Chelsea defender Tal
Ben Haim. Grant was not amused and Ben Haim
found his first team opportunities somewhat
limited. However, Ben Haim was mates with
Terry who, we're told, made it clear to Grant
that he wouldn't take too kindly if Ben Haim was
dropped for long. It was not long after this
that stories started to appear in the sports
pages that Grant's number two, Steve Clarke,
was effectively running the team.

So JT was sleeping with Wayne Bridge's girl. Poor old
Wayne - he wasn't even first choice with his missus.

>> Once bitten <<
It's hard to be a football writer

It must be difficult for footballer writers
when they're put on the spot to take the
moral high-ground. News of the World writer
Rob Shepherd called for Terry to step down
as England captain last weekend,
"Terry did not break the law but he
committed a cardinal sin of the dressing room."

Rob Shepherd is, of course, himself no stranger
to breaking the law. He was given a prison
sentence in 2004 for biting someone's face after
an argument in a bar in Beckenham.

JT has signed up to star in a new TV show.
It's called Other Footballers' Wives.

>> Terry towelling <<
Once again, Germans get there first

The JT/Wayne Bridge England issue has a German
parallel. In the late 90s, controversial
midfielder Stefan Effenberg had an affair with
the wife of his Germany team-mate, Thomas Strunz.
Strunz found out about Claudia's affair when he
read a text message from Effenberg on his wife's
phone. Effenberg married Claudia and they moved
to the USA to get away from it all. Though not
before publishing an autobiography which
included some nice and mucky photographs of him
and his new bride.

*************** JT Special ends **********************

Funko
10-02-2010, 09:00:32
Of course his replacement Rio hardly has a spotless record. Nor does Gerrard, the other main candidate.

MOBIUS
11-02-2010, 13:39:20
I blame the FA.

Funko
11-02-2010, 17:28:47
They made him fuck Bridge's ex? Figures. Bastards.

Fistandantilus
11-02-2010, 18:09:50
Barry for captain!

Fistandantilus
11-02-2010, 18:29:18
I would question whether Wayne Bridge even merits a place in the England squad these days. The likes of Stephen Warnock and Leighton Baines are (at least) equally good candidates for sitting on the bench until Ashley Cole gets injured.

Btw, nice jinxing there.

novacane
11-02-2010, 22:15:07
Indeed. Good call on Gareth Barry. I would support that.

novacane
11-02-2010, 22:48:44
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/poll/2010/feb/11/left-back-england-world-cup

Funko
12-02-2010, 10:28:31
Hadn't thought of Gary Barry. Yeah. Good call.

MOBIUS
12-02-2010, 12:33:41
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/poll/2010/feb/11/left-back-england-world-cup

Vacancy for left-back.

Some experience required. No history of being shagged by teammates or having wife/partner/ shagged by same. Knowledge of Italian not necessary. Preferably left-footed. Must be free in June and July. Age no barrier. Understanding of the modern game desirable but not essential. Must be good with National Anthem. Strong forehead required for bandage.

Debaser
12-02-2010, 13:22:01
Apparently more Terry allegations to come in the papers this weekend. Rumored 7 figure gambling debts and bailouts from Roman Abramovich. He might do well to stay in Dubai for a while.

Funko
12-02-2010, 13:26:15
He's the new George Best.

*End Is Forever*
17-02-2010, 00:06:49
I think Rooney should be captain.

Ancient Person
17-02-2010, 13:22:51
Happy Birthday, Iaiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiain!:beer:

Fistandantilus
25-02-2010, 12:42:00
And now Bridge quits England? Wow.

King_Ghidra
25-02-2010, 14:20:57
soap opera eh, yeesh.

bizarrely we have a few capable candidates to fill in. baines deserves a chance. warnock too.

bridge is only solid anyway. cole (despite being a complete prick) is a genuine world class player and everything after him is quite a drop.

Funko
25-02-2010, 14:27:39
Totally.

Greg W
25-02-2010, 16:13:59
Has Bridge stated why he quit? Just curious how much it had to do with all this...

Funko
25-02-2010, 16:51:23

Yes, it's because of this.

Fistandantilus
25-02-2010, 20:29:03
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/25/wayne-bridge-quits-england-john-terry

Unreal

Greg W
26-02-2010, 01:45:49

Yes, it's because of this.Oh, I figured it was, but wasn't sure if he had stated it publicly or not, or just that he was quitting.

Interesting link to a reaction from former players on that article too. I'd love to be a fly on the wall though and know what the other England players think of all this, though I doubt any of that will come out until autobiography time rolls around, if then.

Greg W
26-02-2010, 02:47:22
And to show just how out of touch I am with all things English, I only just read that Cheryl has dumped Ashley (via txt message?) for having affairs! :eek:

Oh my. What next? Rio shags Steven Gerrard's missus? :clueless:

Fistandantilus
26-02-2010, 08:19:59
So you misssed Cole whining (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/23/ashley-cole-chelsea-fight-disciplinary) too?

It's an amazing soap opera, they look like a bunch of teenagers.

Greg W
26-02-2010, 08:47:35
Yes, I did miss that. He has a bit of a point though. John Terry got away with no punishment from Chelsea, so why does Ashley Cole get punished? Possibly to the tune of 700k. About the only difference I can see is maybe because he had a previous fine form the club.

Soap opera indeed. :violin:

Funko
26-02-2010, 09:12:39
It's world cup year, the press have to do their best to drag every England player through the gutter.

I think Cole got fined by the club because he was using club officials to bring women to his hotel room on tour. So fined for that aspect of bringing the club into disrepute rather than just generically shagging around.

novacane
26-02-2010, 14:07:29
...in normal life a company's human resources department would be too terrified of litigation even to consider demoting an employee over a personal issue.

It may be that Capello felt an ethical duty to punish Terry. While he is renowned as a disciplinarian in the football environment, it was never guessed that he would embark on a broader moral crusade.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/feb/26/fabio-capello-wayne-bridge-john-terry

I maintain that the fall-out over this issue has been further fuelled by Capello and the FA.

Funko
26-02-2010, 14:10:05
I think the media pushed them both into it. The press attention was ridiculous.

novacane
26-02-2010, 23:07:18
Certain sections yes. It became the weaker, easier option.

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-02-2010, 23:20:21
...in normal life a company's human resources department would be too terrified of litigation even to consider demoting an employee over a personal issue.

Want to bet? I've seen personnel moved off teams because of it.

What would Terry's legal claim be for losing the captainship? It carries no more pay.

King_Ghidra
27-02-2010, 12:53:36
i presume there are considerably more lucrative commercial opportunities and questions of professional renumeration based on the status of being england captain

Greg W
27-02-2010, 13:49:49
Out of curiosity, what has Wayne Bridge done to get booed so roundly by the Chelsea fans? Seems a bit rude to me. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't said anything to deserve it. Or did I miss something? Or are the Chelsea fans just that ridiculous in their support of John Terry?

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-02-2010, 13:58:14
i presume there are considerably more lucrative commercial opportunities and questions of professional renumeration based on the status of being england captain

To which the counter-argument is, wouldn't Terry's own conduct have harmed those far more whether he'd lost the captaincy or not? As with Tiger Woods?

He'd have to prove the opportunities came exclusively from his captaincy, and the damage wasn't caused by his wayward tackle to get anywhere.

Secondly he has no right to captain or play for England, and no contract to do so. It's a privilege that can be withdrawn at no notice, for no reason, and at any time.

And thirdly, does anyone really think Terry would attempt to sue the FA or Capello? If he wants to even wear an England shirt again, let alone captain the team, he'd be insane to attempt it.

The Shaker
27-02-2010, 14:56:18
He could start by trying to defend better.

Greg W
27-02-2010, 15:05:43
Ah, just heard that Bridge snubbed Terry when it came to shaking hands. Maybe that explains the boos...

Still, I think he will be the happier after the match. One of the few times I think United fans would have been wondering just who to barrack for! :cute:

*End Is Forever*
28-02-2010, 11:53:05
Oh we were all supporting City. It happens occasionally.

Funko
01-03-2010, 08:52:12
Out of curiosity, what has Wayne Bridge done to get booed so roundly by the Chelsea fans? Seems a bit rude to me. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't said anything to deserve it. Or did I miss something? Or are the Chelsea fans just that ridiculous in their support of John Terry?

Chelsea fans just that ridiculous in their support of John Terry. I don't think snubbing the handshake deserves it, and he got booed when he came out of the tunnel I think.

Was nice that the TV cameras did pick up some Chelsea fans applauding as he went off.

It was an absolutely amazing match.

Funko
01-03-2010, 08:52:41
Oh we were all supporting City. It happens occasionally.

If it wasn't against one of your main title rivals you might not have given a shit. :)

Greg W
01-03-2010, 12:30:14
So United fans are not quite so rabid in their hatred of City as City fans are of United... Sorry, just trying to keep up to speed, seeing as I am a United fan myself, I need to know how much to temper my hatred. :cute:

One of the good things about being a foreign supporter I think, I can like any team I want. :beer:Chelsea fans just that ridiculous in their support of John Terry. I don't think snubbing the handshake deserves it, and he got booed when he came out of the tunnel I think.

Was nice that the TV cameras did pick up some Chelsea fans applauding as he went off.

It was an absolutely amazing match.I thought that may have been the case. Fortunately it only seemed to be a smallish part of the crowd booing him.

Was a great match to watch though! :beer:

Funko
01-03-2010, 13:29:07
I dunno, this match was directly beneficial to United if City won. If the match had been a cup final or something, with nothing to gain for United out of a City win I'm sure they'd have been cheering on Chelsea. Wouldn't want to have to take the banner (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jan/27/manchester-city-united-34-years) down.

If, say, City were in a relegation battle and United had to beat someone to keep them up I'm sure City would all be United fans for the day.

Or indeed if they were in the hunt for the championship.

Greg W
01-03-2010, 14:59:40
:lol: @ the banner!

Fair enough on the rest too. Guess I do kind of wonder just how much they all hate each other, especially as when I went to a Champions League match between United and AEK Athens(? Some Greek side, anyway), United fans were still chanting anti-City chants (something about "Up - Down - Up - Down" in relation to City being relegated and promoted a lot).

novacane
01-03-2010, 15:04:31
It is even possible to support another team against your own. As I did when Arsenal needed to beat Leeds to keep the title race alive with Man Utd circa 2001 (typically, Leeds win 1-0), and I also remember Liverpool fans cheering Blackburn against their own team in 1995. Most cases of switched allegiances stem from a hatred of Man U.