PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering

Drekkus
07-01-2010, 09:04:30
If you are really depressed with your life, how hard it is and all, and you go see a movie like say, the Piano Player or Schindler's List, do you walk out of the cinema feeling even worse, or a bit enlightened knowing that your problems are relatively small?

MOBIUS
07-01-2010, 15:04:05
Yes.

mr_B
07-01-2010, 15:31:23
it depends
I really enjoyed The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in one of my down periods
thought it was funny

paiktis
14-01-2010, 14:12:41
I don't go to see such films when in severe depression.
Whenever I have done so the result is the presumptuous whiny one again.

Aka if I were a jewish prisoner on aousvitch I'd had fear for my life and that would have re-energized me and would have felt alive. So I'd be in a better state than I am now.

There is no end to how whiny a depressed person can be. (partial truth always hides inside though)

So i guess the end result would have been the same. apathy.

paiktis
14-01-2010, 14:34:09
Also I think if depression is accompagneid with lots of anxiety your empathy receptors close down. In other words, you feel nothing for the other person.

Venom
14-01-2010, 17:54:47
If you're depressed you should be out drinking and/or banging whores. Not watching stupid movies.

mr_B
14-01-2010, 20:45:35
hear hear

Japher
18-01-2010, 17:28:45
the best movie to watch when depressed is Office Space - FACT!

mr_B
18-01-2010, 19:03:06
japhertje japhertje japhertje
not all of us have a similar boring office life like you.

Japher
18-01-2010, 21:17:51
I'm unemployed, I don't have a life

King_Ghidra
19-01-2010, 13:22:51
a bit enlightened knowing that your problems are relatively small?

this answer seems tempting, but i would guess that the problem is that all you are doing is creating a mental culture of depressing stuff. so your world starts to look like an amalgamation of holocausts, terrorist attacks, high-school shootings, etc.

this might be better than your own problems, but it nevertheless creates a lopsided world picture ignoring all the good things about life, and so your enemies (the agents of depression) are still the closest thing to your thoughts

ofc the problem is depression doesn't seek fun by its nature, but i certainly think the opposite is even less helpful

Funko
19-01-2010, 13:57:18
I don't think humans are really very good at using "well there are people a lot worse off than me!" as a rationalisation that they shouldn't be depressed, or worrying about shit. Someone being a victim of a holocaust or whatever is, for most westerners, an extremely abstract concept. You can only deal with what problems and worries are in your own realm of experience. Which is why charities are always trying to personalise their appeals in the form of a single person or story that you can in some way relate to.

It's much more useful looking at the issues which are bothering you and either doing something about them, if there's something practical that can be done, or looking rationally at why it's not something you should be focussing your attention on.

In an extreme case of depression, getting killed would seem like a welcome and helpful release. I suspect watching something like Schindler's List when really depressed might make you think "well they are getting executed but at least they aren't as miserable as I am".

It is not a rational illness.

jsorense
21-01-2010, 06:15:15
Mr. D.,
Please PM me. I know all. :mr_b:

Drekkus
21-01-2010, 11:41:14
J., I'm not really in mental need (not more then usual that is). I'm too lazy/apathic/easy going to get depressed. But for some very unknown reason this question just popped into my mind.

But if you like I can still pm you :D

Tizzy
21-01-2010, 11:48:40
Don't do it Drek! It's impossible to tell what might happen if you pm him!

Drekkus
21-01-2010, 12:44:01
I can't say I'm not tempted. I haven't sent one in a long time, and my pm'o'meter has still not passed the mythical number of 125.

Tizzy
21-01-2010, 12:59:07
I have lots of pms

Drekkus
21-01-2010, 13:02:22
:nervous:

MDA
21-01-2010, 16:48:12
Drekkus needs a helpertje

Lurker
21-01-2010, 17:00:35
mr B please teach MDA the plural of helpertje.

paiktis
21-01-2010, 18:33:50
J., I'm not really in mental need (not more then usual that is). I'm too lazy/apathic/easy going to get depressed.

I wish I could do that. It's like I'm always running I don't know from where or where to.

Nothing keeps me satisfied (for long), I always fear others will leave me, I become too demanding, I feel like I'm missing something... (body part, soul part, self respect, security, whatever). It's like if I don't have a goal, life isn't worth it. And when I accomplish it, it means nothing and I want more. So I'm always on the run and never settling down.
It's tiresome. Very much so.
I wish I could apathetic. I've seen people like that (my ex was like that tottally) and I really envy them hugely.
I don't know how they/you do it.

It must come from an abysmal aptitude at writing the whole world to YOUR BALLS! It's awesome, fearsome, god-like!

paiktis
21-01-2010, 18:39:44
I remember when I was 14 and they said I need to wear glasses, I was like "when I gt older and be able to weaar contact lenses, then I'll get a girlfriend".
And I'm like that ever since. I first 'need' to do something in order to then do something else. But instead I'm always finding myself doing something and something and something and never the something else.
(hard to deciefer but makes sense).