PDA

View Full Version : Interesting chap

Drekkus
22-12-2009, 13:17:22
Rory Stewart. People with a life like that make you feel quite useless. Or even more useless.

Funko
22-12-2009, 13:19:47
Who?

Bossman
22-12-2009, 13:39:34
For a second I thought you'd written Rod Stewart! :funko:

Drekkus
22-12-2009, 13:58:46
Rory Stewart, OBE (born 3 January 1973), is the Executive Chairman of the British charity, the Turquoise Mountain Foundation, the Ryan Family Professor of the Practice of Human Rights and the Director of the Carr Center for Human Rights Policy at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. He formerly served in the British Army and in the British Foreign Service, where he worked in Indonesia and the Balkans and, most famously, as governor of a province of occupied Iraq in 2003-2004. He is known for his book about this experience, The Prince of the Marshes (also published under the title Occupational Hazards), his epic 2000-2002 walk across Afghanistan, which served as the basis for another book, The Places in Between, and his later cultural development work in Afghanistan.

- In August 2008, the UK media widely reported that Studio Canal and Brad Pitt's production company Plan B had bought the rights to a biopic of Stewart's life. The actor Orlando Bloom will apparently play Stewart.[7] That Brad Pitt had bought the rights was confirmed on Lateline, on Australia's ABC on the 29th of July.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Stewart

He was being interviewed on dutch tv yesterday.

mr_B
22-12-2009, 14:02:37
ow jj, wintertijd

love that man, the new UK prime minister

Drekkus
22-12-2009, 14:08:56
He looks like a british actor, don't know his name. Played in the Good Sheperd film with Matt Damon.

Funko
22-12-2009, 14:39:56
Maybe the new Dutch prime minister since you guys have actually heard of him?

Drekkus
22-12-2009, 14:52:27
Remember, when the blockbuster movie by Brad Pitt comes out, you will say 'Yes, of course, the guy Drekkus told me about.'

Venom
22-12-2009, 15:34:26
Do a google image search for chaps. Then you'll find some interesting stuff.

mr_B
22-12-2009, 15:38:24
http://www.texastwirler.com/OrangeChaps.JPG

mr_B
22-12-2009, 15:53:16
is that Katie?

MOBIUS
22-12-2009, 16:44:45
Why should we be thinking he’s so fantastic?

He’s just another independently wealthy toff with a gigantic silver spoon permanently stuck in his gob since the moment he was born, and the sort of contacts that goes with all that.

Consequently he’s freed of those terribly tiresome shackles called ‘real life’ and ‘having to work for a living’ that the rest of us poor mundane slobs have to endure.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s done some highly commendable stuff, however those achievements need to be put into perspective. Such as, what would you be able to do if you’d had the same benefits in life, Drekkus?

Indeed, one might even call him a selfish bastard for going off on a walk and spending a couple of years sponging off some of the poorest people in the world!

Oh, and he’s a Tory.:shoot:

Drekkus
22-12-2009, 20:53:14
:lol: Well, I called him interesting, not fantastic. As far as I can tell he did/does work for a living. Being in the foreign service seems like a proper job. And being governor of an Iraqi province (by the age of 30) seems like a tough job to me.
Doing a 6000 mile walk through afghanistan, nepal and whatnot also doesn't seem like a cushy job to me. I guess he has done more with the opportunities he has had since birth then 99% of the wealthy, silver spoon gobbling toffs.

And as for me, I'm pretty sure I would have thrown away the benefits and opportunities by being the same apathic, lazy ass idiot I'm today.

paiktis
25-12-2009, 03:21:59
I don't think there's anything more interesting than writing, booze and girls. All else is simply a waste of time.

paiktis
25-12-2009, 03:32:40
For example I'd like to write an essay about how both serene and arousing is watching a girl's right leg and foot as she tries to balance herself on top of you on the couch as you er.. take care of her hard. Or how the tiniest needle of perceived impending loss makes her neck scent like summertime vacations or a breeze on a beach.

I see people like him as plummers. Good for making the water keep running as you take care of the important stuff.

mr_B
25-12-2009, 13:53:58
I don't think there's anything more interesting than writing, booze and girls. All else is simply a waste of time.

and architecture o/c

mr_B
25-12-2009, 13:54:49
For example I'd like to write an essay about how both serene and arousing is watching a girl's right leg and foot as she tries to balance herself on top of you on the couch as you er.. take care of her hard. Or how the tiniest needle of perceived impending loss makes her neck scent like summertime vacations or a breeze on a beach.

I see people like him as plummers. Good for making the water keep running as you take care of the important stuff.

can't wait to read that book

Drekkus
16-01-2010, 20:09:42
This guy is now on BBC2 presenting a programme on Lawrence of Arabia

mr_B
17-01-2010, 14:09:42
you meant gay Lawrence

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-01-2010, 14:22:25
A British army officer in his gap year. As a student, tutored Princes. On the board of nearly everything. Standing in the next election in a Tory safe seat.

Can't bring myself to admire anyone who's never had to run for a bus, or wonder how to pay their gas bill.

Drekkus
17-01-2010, 20:18:27
Good to see the british class system still in place :lol:

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-01-2010, 21:31:34
His wiki entry reads like a satire of overly-privileged worthies. The brutal truth of the matter is that people who go to Comprehensive schools don't get to do the sort of things he does. He will have power because he was born into it. And I'm sure he's a noble bloke, but he's always going to have people like me muttering "What a cunt" we we hear of the latest instalment of his glittering career.

Stuff walking across Central Asia. He should have spent a couple of years living in Barrow-in-Furness on Income Support instead.

Drekkus
20-01-2010, 22:50:07
All I'm saying he's done interesting things. Wether or not he's been able to do so because he's a lucky rich bastard is not the point. I think 99 % of his rich overly-privileged schoolmates land some couchy powerfull job in England, but don't run a province of occupied Iraq at the age of 30. I like to read the book he wrote about it.

mr_B
20-01-2010, 23:42:38
His wiki entry reads like a satire of overly-privileged worthies. The brutal truth of the matter is that people who go to Comprehensive schools don't get to do the sort of things he does. He will have power because he was born into it. And I'm sure he's a noble bloke, but he's always going to have people like me muttering "What a cunt" we we hear of the latest instalment of his glittering career.

Stuff walking across Central Asia. He should have spent a couple of years living in Barrow-in-Furness on Income Support instead.

frustration
frustration
what a frustration

jj waf waf