PDA

View Full Version : I Quit.

King_Ghidra
20-11-2009, 15:11:16
I really did. As of 2010 i will be unemployed. And i cannot fucking wait.

Today was a great example of the astonishing, pervasive, and tremendously varied incompetence of many of my colleagues. It was the kind of day that makes you feel so fucking good to be leaving.

Amazingly, i'm not even quitting because of that, i'm quitting because i live in London now (and have done for some months), and paying £4k a year to ride the train to this terrific shitbucket of stupidity is not intelligent.

I have no job to go to and no particular idea of what i want to do. Luckily i'm solvent and have money in the bank and if i have a month or two off work (or perhaps even more) it's no big deal.

Here's to self-empowerment. And for what it's worth, FUCK YOU, MY RETARD COLLEAGUE SCUM :beer:

MDA
20-11-2009, 15:12:28
:beer: here's to leaving forever!

Scabrous Birdseed
20-11-2009, 15:13:17
:beer:

Greg W
20-11-2009, 15:13:50
Good on you. I did that (also with the no idea of what I wanted to do) and did some casual work for 6 months. Was very stress relieving. Maybe travel some if you have the desire.

Tizzy
20-11-2009, 15:15:58

Lurker
20-11-2009, 15:48:14
Lazy wanker.

Japher
20-11-2009, 17:42:34

Debaser
20-11-2009, 20:42:55
:beer: Nice work.

Top job leaving tip: Steal stationary on your second last day, 'cos they'll be watching you more on your last.

MOBIUS
20-11-2009, 22:36:46
Why not just start stealing it now?

Scabrous Birdseed
21-11-2009, 00:57:29
Yeah, I mean, WTF, what's work for except constantly pilfering stationery?

Provost Harrison
21-11-2009, 04:45:48

Today was a great example of the astonishing, pervasive, and tremendously varied incompetence of many of my colleagues. It was the kind of day that makes you feel so fucking good to be leaving.

Amazingly, i'm not even quitting because of that, i'm quitting because i live in London now (and have done for some months), and paying £4k a year to ride the train to this terrific shitbucket of stupidity is not intelligent.

I have no job to go to and no particular idea of what i want to do. Luckily i'm solvent and have money in the bank and if i have a month or two off work (or perhaps even more) it's no big deal.

Here's to self-empowerment. And for what it's worth, FUCK YOU, MY RETARD COLLEAGUE SCUM :beer:

I came within a hairs breadth of walking out of my previous job due to how the management treated me. I'd been doing a great job on the project, managed to single-handedly take care of all the more complex technical issues in my departments area and other bits of overlapped and was well acknowledged for that. Still, at the end of the project they put me back in my previous job. The thing was, that not only had my backfill been taken on permanently but had been promoted above my level. Oddly enough her father in law used to be a former site director.

I managed to wait it out for another couple of months where the experience from the project paid dividends and I simply got another job...their loss.

So yeah, if it wasn't for financial concerns, they wouldn't have seen my arse for a trail of dust. Good on ya man!

Oerdin
21-11-2009, 09:58:45

Koshko
21-11-2009, 23:11:21
Thankfully my taxes won't be paying for your welfare or food stamps or shelter.

mr_B
21-11-2009, 23:18:11
:beer: hello collegue

Funko
23-11-2009, 09:32:31

MOBIUS
23-11-2009, 15:22:34
You’re just in training to win the inaugural CGBBL, admit it!

mr_B
26-11-2009, 18:35:43

"When one door closes, another opens"

alexander bell

VetLegion_
30-11-2009, 20:55:01
£4k a year for the train tickets?

I disbelieve. That's a ridiculously high amount. Do they have a Shinkasen just for you?

devilmunchkin
30-11-2009, 21:04:20
I felt soooo happy when I quit working at the computer company. After I left, the company nose dived which made it even better.

Funko
01-12-2009, 08:47:07
£4k a year for the train tickets?

I disbelieve. That's a ridiculously high amount. Do they have a Shinkasen just for you?

Believe. And that's with the season ticket discounts.

If you buy them daily it's like £28 a day peak rate between Reading and London.

At least reverse commuting like K_G is you can probably get a seat, going from Reading to London you're likely to pay that much and have to stand up.

mr_B
01-12-2009, 09:56:29
train ticket prices are ridiculous in the UK, in Dutchland too tho.
I paid 4k euros last year for train tickets to amsterdam - rotterdam.
You can buy a plane for that.

King_Ghidra
01-12-2009, 12:05:10
http://cgi.ebay.de/Cartier-Motiv-Flugzeug-Weissgold-Charm-Anhaenger_W0QQitemZ350285890355QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ DE_Mode_Accessoires_Schmuck_Schmuck?hash=item518ea a8333

mr_B
01-12-2009, 12:12:09
see I'm right again

Provost Harrison
01-12-2009, 12:14:47
Train travel is prohibitively expensive. Why I never use it...although fuel around this place isn't too cheap either, but that is the case throughout Europe from what I can tell. I was depressed when I saw what fuel prices are in Mexico...

Venom
01-12-2009, 14:34:23
Flash forward 3 months and KG will be sucking dicks for cheeseburgers. And this time not just for a hobby.

Funko
01-12-2009, 14:57:48
Train travel is prohibitively expensive. Why I never use it...although fuel around this place isn't too cheap either, but that is the case throughout Europe from what I can tell. I was depressed when I saw what fuel prices are in Mexico...

I do the sums every year, it's still much cheaper for me to get the train than I would be running a car. It's only expensive using the train if you already need a car and have to pay the tax, insurance, depreciation etc. anyway.

Venom
01-12-2009, 15:26:35
People in Mexico also get paid about 17 cents an hour.

Greg W
01-12-2009, 15:28:10
Because I am too lazy to look it up...

How far from Reading to London? And how long on the train? Just trying to figure out how it compares to Australia...

My guesses:
- more expensive per km/mile
- much faster service per km/mile

Funko
01-12-2009, 15:36:14
45 miles
25 minutes (you have to go slow when you get to last bit in London because of noise in built up area)

King_Ghidra
01-12-2009, 15:36:28
reading - london is about 40 miles and it takes about half an hour

i actaully work in theale, which is a bit further on, but the impact in cost and time will not help your calculations so work with the above if you must work at all

King_Ghidra
01-12-2009, 15:37:36
Flash forward 3 months and KG will be sucking dicks for cheeseburgers. And this time not just for a hobby.

:lol: CG needs the old Venom back.

Greg W
01-12-2009, 15:49:07
Alright, so 72 kms. Seeing as Gosford is 76 kms, I'll use that as a comparison.

Yearly ticket: Gosford to Sydney - $2218 (about 1,240 pounds)
"Express" train time: 1 hour 22 mins.

So, for about 1/3 the cost it takes us about 3 times as long. Mind you, the train does take an awfully long way around, it doesn't even go vaguely close to a straight line to the City. Still, close enough for a vague comparison. And shows how shit our trains are!

Venom
01-12-2009, 15:54:20
That post was so gripping and informa....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Greg W
01-12-2009, 15:57:47
Well, it shows: never use Australian trains as a role model.

Hell, never use Australian anything as a role model.

Lurker
01-12-2009, 16:12:30
That's a quick train from Reading to London. Takes maybe 30 minutes to go around 15 miles (although with 3 stops) for me to NYC.

Funko
01-12-2009, 16:16:29
Non stop (except the ones that stop at slough).

VetLegion_
01-12-2009, 19:41:08
Believe. And that's with the season ticket discounts.

If you buy them daily it's like £28 a day peak rate between Reading and London.

That's waaaaaaaay too much. That's half the price of a monthly ticket for a same distance here and while UK is richer, it is not 15 times richer. You're being scammed.

MDA
02-12-2009, 00:57:52
Well, it shows: never use Australian trains as a roll model.

fixed! :gasmaske_puke:

Funko
02-12-2009, 08:49:38
That's waaaaaaaay too much. That's half the price of a monthly ticket for a same distance here and while UK is richer, it is not 15 times richer. You're being scammed.

Where is "here"?

And I don't think many people outside our train companies would defend our train prices, but Reading Station has about 15 million passengers pass through it a year, so we can obviously afford it.

Funko
02-12-2009, 08:51:32
"pass through" is wrong, technically 15 million people tickets are sold that start or end their journey in Reading, so doesn't count people who pass through on trains that stop here.

Venom
02-12-2009, 13:58:09
You know, we had a good thing going until you assholes started talking about the economics of train rides. ******SNORE*******

MOBIUS
03-12-2009, 03:04:12
Well, my commute to work costs precisely £0/yr and takes about 10 minutes, mostly through a nice park (where there used to be lots of squirrels)...:cute:

Funko
03-12-2009, 09:01:25
You aren't including all your costs. That walking takes food to fuel you, you'll need shoes, warm clothes for the winter and of course the biggest cost of all FUCK YOU!

Debaser
03-12-2009, 09:10:56
"pass through" is wrong, technically 15 million people tickets are sold that start or end their journey in Reading, so doesn't count people who pass through on trains that stop here.

Are you sure this stat's right? That's nearly 50,000 people a day. Seems like a lot.

Funko
03-12-2009, 09:20:00
Closer to 40,000 a day, but yeah it is based on ticket sales so pretty accurate. Obviously there will be some tickets purchased where people don't make the journey so it'll be a bit high, but also doesn't count anyone who doesn't pay.

Drekkus
03-12-2009, 11:42:36
reading - london is about 40 miles and it takes about half an hour

i actaully work in theale, ...

Karsten Theale?

MOBIUS
03-12-2009, 11:51:38
You aren't including all your costs. That walking takes food to fuel you, you'll need shoes, warm clothes for the winter and of course the biggest cost of all FUCK YOU!

Actually I cycle. If I walked it would be more like 25 minutes, which takes too long as far as I’m concerned…:D

Funko
03-12-2009, 12:36:44
So there's all the bike wear and tear, the helmet, probably get several nicked a year as well and of course still doesn't change the FUCK YOU aspect.

VetLegion_
03-12-2009, 23:19:22
Are you sure this stat's right? That's nearly 50,000 people a day. Seems like a lot.

Only seems so. There's a subway station in Tokyo used by 3 million passengers daily.

duke o' york
04-12-2009, 01:25:16
Now is the time to start 'adjusting' the content on the company's servers. Would they be interested in hosting CG for a while? Would they even notice?

Greg W
18-12-2009, 11:17:33
I wonder how much his anticipation is building now? And how little he's beginning to care how well things get done?

Compared to "normal" that is...

King_Ghidra
18-12-2009, 13:11:25
Even less, Greg.

I'm a bit of a spare part now. Handed over all my duties to my successor and basically twiddling my thumbs til wednesday, when i'm off.

Taking the time to finish various (non work related) pet projects and surfing a whole lot of web

Venom
18-12-2009, 14:35:29
And pissing in the coffee pots.

Greg W
18-12-2009, 15:07:18
Yeah, figured that might be the case. Any ideas what you're going to do?

Provost Harrison
18-12-2009, 16:10:21
Spend more time with his Jobcentre :D

King_Ghidra
18-12-2009, 16:47:21
I have a twofold aim Greg:

1) Take a break. I'm sick of being in work, sick of offices, office bullshit and office bullshitters.

So I want to have a holiday, act like a tourist in London for a month or two, catch up with some people i haven't seen in too long, etc.

2) Have a serious go at getting paid for my writing. I have a lot of finished and half-finished stories that i am going to properly collect and edit and try and pimp to whoever or whatever i can.
I also have a 95,000 word novel which needs a few thousand more words and a lot of editing and i am going to finish that and send it to a literary agent.

I have got maybe six months to make something happen here before i need to get nervous about working seriously again, so that's the time frame i'm looking at to see some signs of success.

If it turns out that this is all a mad dream i will have to suck it down and rejoin the rat race but i am going to do everything in my power to avoid it, because if nothing else, failing will be a massive blow to my self-esteem and self-perception.

Serious business i know. Call it an early mid-life crisis, but i can't go on coasting through this bullshit world and going slowly mad.

Japher
18-12-2009, 17:56:31
I also have a 95,000 word novel which needs a few thousand more words

Check the Word Association thread, there's some words in there

Greg W
19-12-2009, 01:46:19
So, about the end of the financial year. Cool. Good luck with all that, sounds like you're kind of chasing a dream there, hope it works out for you. I guess the main thing is to have a go while you have the opportunity, while you can afford to have 6 months off. And at least you won't grow old wondering what might have been. :beer:

mr_B
19-12-2009, 09:53:54
I have a twofold aim Greg:

1) Take a break. I'm sick of being in work, sick of offices, office bullshit and office bullshitters.

So I want to have a holiday, act like a tourist in London for a month or two, catch up with some people i haven't seen in too long, etc.

2) Have a serious go at getting paid for my writing. I have a lot of finished and half-finished stories that i am going to properly collect and edit and try and pimp to whoever or whatever i can.
I also have a 95,000 word novel which needs a few thousand more words and a lot of editing and i am going to finish that and send it to a literary agent.

I have got maybe six months to make something happen here before i need to get nervous about working seriously again, so that's the time frame i'm looking at to see some signs of success.

If it turns out that this is all a mad dream i will have to suck it down and rejoin the rat race but i am going to do everything in my power to avoid it, because if nothing else, failing will be a massive blow to my self-esteem and self-perception.

Serious business i know. Call it an early mid-life crisis, but i can't go on coasting through this bullshit world and going slowly mad.
:beer::beer:

paiktis
20-12-2009, 08:31:01
Call it an early mid-life crisis, but i can't go on coasting through this bullshit world and going slowly mad.

Amen to that...
I don't know if I am a good example on many things, but on work I have done some wandering arounds and the things I've found out is that nothing motivates you more than having no job in doing things and finding one (hopefully a better one). Also generally from my own experience if you shake the tree a bit, destroy everything and then come back you usually come back stronger.
But there is no guaranteed answer from all of that.
From what I've seen guys I was working with which were as fed up as I was with our job conditions and stayed there regardless, are still miserable and locked in dead end.
Those of us who took the big leap to the great job market uknown, I think all of us, have found something better, one way or another, sooner or later.

Andf it's true life is too short to be wasted on a rat race that could drive you crazy eventually or petrified. I quit jobs many times, fallen without parachute, but in general it's not something I would recommend doing again and again.