PDA

View Full Version : Future Nostalgia

Japher
29-10-2009, 19:54:40
I'm not going to say I like working, I'm more the kind of guy who works to live, and not the other way around. Still, I will probably work until the day I die, and I'm alright with that, but I've only been in the job market 10 years, so that might change.

While I haven't necessarily liked every minute of every job there have been few circumstances when I haven't liked those I have worked with. We accomplished many things to be happy of, you get those opportunities when you work in drug manufacturing, but the times I remember being happiest were times when we weren't doing anything.

My best memory of work was when I was working 3rd shift in S. San Francisco, 12 hour graves. It was hard work, the kind that makes you sweat, and makes you enjoy the brisk, foggy, bay air licking off your steaming head as you break for a smoke. It was 0330 or maybe 0400, you could tell because the aroma of the nearby doughnut shop had taken over the muskiness of the sloughs; it was a thick smell, the kind you can almost taste. Dave the skater punk with more piercings than most could care to count was attempting some stupid trick on his skate board in the desolate parking lot, and Yolanda, how had counted Dave's piercings, chain-smoked and looked forward to quitting time. We sipped on free drinks from the broken vending machine and chatted till our bodies ached from the work we had performed that night.

As the sun came up and the fog began to brake we resided back into our windowless lair to prepare for first shift's arrival, our tasks more than adequately accomplished. We would survey our 3 floors of cancer curing goodness and than tirelessly adsorb the sarcasm at shift change from bright-eyed and well rested counterparts, knowing we will begin at 1900, exactly where we left off.

I don't eat doughnuts, but I like the smell and where it takes me.

I'm to young for nostalgic moments, but when I'm old, that will be one.

Cheshire Cat
30-10-2009, 12:09:06
Madeleinette doughnuts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_Lost_Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_(cake)