PDA

View Full Version : LWP October 2009 comments

Scabrous Birdseed
29-10-2009, 12:22:13
Track list is:

1. Architeq - Sleeping Bear Lament (James Pants remix)
2. Iron Maiden - Murders in the Rue Morgue
3. Apoptygma Berzerk - In This Together
4. The Very Best feat. Ezra Keonig of Vampire Weekend - Warm Heart of Africa
5. Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
6. Circlesquare - Dancers
7. GNG BNG - Flying Lotus
8. Black Coffee - Turn Me On
9. Nitzer Ebb - Lightning Man
10. Gotye - Learnalilgivinanlovin

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-10-2009, 19:46:12
I'm curious. Do people really think "Ooooooo! Oooooooo! If I submit an Iron Maiden track someone might discover they are seeing qualities in their music that they never previously considered possible, and love them unconditionally from that point onwards!"

Naturally, I've not heard it yet, and I'm writing from a position of pure, blinkered prejudice.

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-10-2009, 19:52:35
Heard it now. It sounds like Maiden.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-10-2009, 20:28:58
Says the man who fell for a Megadeth tracks two rounds ago.

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-10-2009, 08:20:41
It's the exception that proves the rule.

It's kind of charming how the MAIDEN have forged a career from Steve Harris immediately writing a metal song about the book he's just read. I can't wait for him to discover Barbara Cartland or Enid Blyton.

lightblue
30-10-2009, 08:33:22
Doesn't there always have to be some "ironic" metal track. It's not the worst metal track either looking back at the last few rounds.

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-10-2009, 09:00:25

Bloopy, gloopy and farty. Too slow to fill dancefloors, and too tedious to hold attention on the stereo. Tried listening to this while running, and it made me look like a dick.

Sounds like Iron Maiden, but with a less irritating singer. Starts off fairly inoffensive, but then the guitars kick in and Maiden it up. Speed it up, repeatedly name-drop the title of the book Steve's just read, and the job's done. Didn't like it 28 years ago, and don't like it now.

One of mine. AB are a Norwegian Futurepop group, but on this album they dropped all the industrial-derived stuff and went all-out 80's pop (hell, they even covered Kim Wilde's "Cambodia"). Sure, it's a bit cliched, but with pop hooks like that who really cares?

Scabby track number 1. This is a sprightly little thing, isn't it? The collection is on the way up. Upbeat and fun.

Sounds like Paul Simon's 1980's output, and that's not a good start. I used to hear this sort of thing cropping up on compilation tapes given to me by hippyish girls in flowery dresses who really would have preferred it if I'd been a bit more like that nice Michael Stipe. To be quite honest, that just makes in confusing because it brings up memories that are a mixture of 10% erotic and 90% knuckle-gnawing embarassment. Didn't like the song, but thanks for the nostalgia anyway.

This opens a lot like Swell, only with glitchy electronic stuff in the place of moody guitars. Keep waiting for it to go somewhere. In the end it does start to briefly perk up, but then it just ends. Could have been good if it had more menace or drama in it.

Another bloopy, gloopy one. This one's actually trying to go somewhere, though- after a pretty dull start it works up a bit of a groove. I'd be interested in hearing more.

Dull 1996 dinner party soundtrack played by the sort of person who found Portishead a bit too raucous and edgy for comfort. And it goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on. Worst track on the compilation.

My second track. This is a classic late-80's slice of EBM from the moody masters of the scene. Nitzer Ebb were pretty much ignored in Britain at the time, but are now worshipped by the US/European rivethead clubs.

Scabby track No. 2. Sounds like what Soul would sound like if it had been created by middle-class white Mormons before they settled down to get proper jobs as dentists. Pointless.

Nills Lagerbaak
30-10-2009, 09:41:27
I have to own up to the maiden, no I didn't think it would change anyone's mind, but it was on my playlist and I really couldn't think of anything else. Oh and not enough people fill records with songs about what they've just read. One song on each album please, preferably over 8 minutes long.

Comments to follow.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-10-2009, 14:02:33
I'm happy Laz misidentified both my tracks, at least.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-10-2009, 15:11:42
Quick reviews, I'm off to a party in a couple of hours.

Excellent, I was about to put on a few tracks in a similar vein before changing my mind. Unlike Laz, I think this would work great on the dancefloor, in a slow-grinding, crunk-shout-whispering, synth-chord-smoothing kind of way.

Yeah well, it's a fairly pleasant and innocuous piece of pop-rock, silly theme though.

Ahh, rely on Laz to post the most conventional, formulaic radio rock imaginable. This would have fit perfectly into last year's Eurovision. In other words it's great.

4. The Very Best feat. Ezra Keonig of Vampire Weekend - Warm Heart of Africa [off Youtube]

Without prejudice, Johan. Deep breath. *sigh* Ehrm. Yeees...This is quite a... pleasant piece of vaguely East-African-sounding pop. There's some Paul Simon influence in there too, if I'm not mistaken. *Weeps quiet tears of blood at the ironic return of neocolonial worldbeat that he cannot be allowed to verbalise*

5. Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man [off Youtube]

I find myself quite liking this little piece of folksy Americana, except the horrid chorus. You guys should be happy you don't have to see the video though, struggling against the impression of the visual presentation is a bit of a challenge.

Mine! I originally found this in a full-on lyrical house remix, which was great, so the starkly pared-down original was certainly a surprise. I love the continual haphazard construction of the song in time, and how you can feel it's a dance song musically and thematically when it isn't. Kind of.

Not really feeling fake-acoustic sample-based breakbeatish tracks these days, and the electronics don't really help.

Mine! I've started to get into deep house in a major way after loathing the genre for years, mainly because of the great South African scene this is from. It's understated, cleverly constructed, timeless and a little bit trippy. No wonder the Funky scene is falling for it in the UK!

I've always wondered about the idea of jazziness, never really heard any good actual jazz that's "jazzy" in the innocuous bouncy way this track is at heart, underneath the posturing. I like the drums though, very Roxette.

Oh god not the fucking be my baby drums again. Horrid cod-retro monstrosity. Not as deeply ethically shit as the Very Best track, but almost.

lightblue
30-10-2009, 15:21:04

I can see this as a background tune in some post-clubbing chill out bar, but there's not really much substance to it. It's innocuous enough, but not something I'll come back to or would consciously listen to.

Well it's Maiden isn't it. As metal goes (and comparing to some of the previous metal tracks on these compilations) it's not that bad. It's formulaic, but then if you've written the formula I guess you can do these things.

When I read the name I assumed some Norwegian death metal, turns out I was right on the Norwegian part :) It sounds like some 80's hair metal/stadium rock, think Bon Jovi/Van Halen and the like, but sung by a weaker singer. It's ok and quite catchy.

Mine. The last few rounds Scabby's been rather derogatory about my choices so I decided to mix it up a bit and look at which tunes in my collection might appeal to him. Judging by Laz's comments I got it right. As for the song itself, it's one of the most catchy, happy sounding songs I have heard in awhile. It takes me back to my early music listening days when my command of English was only good enough to understand 1/2 of every song. I love it.

I heard this on Radio 1 a few weeks back, and thought it was alright. It develops nicely throughout the song and I quite like the anthemic approach for the last minute or so.

Hmm, not for me. I can see that there's some thought behind it as well as some skill, but it just sits there, not doing an awful lot. When would you listen to it?

I have lost track of the correct terminology at my age, this is some kind of electronic drum 'n bass isn't it? It has a more direct appeal than the previous track in that I can see that if you're mashed up out of your skull this might appeal on a heavy night out. That said, sitting at 3pm in front of my PC, with no chemical enhancements, it's not particularly easy listening.

Kind of a post-trip hop dancey tune. Possibly from the same person who listed track 1? Similar kind of chill out dance tune. Again not offensive, but not grabbing me either.

I just never really got into the industrial music scene at any point in my life, which makes it hard for me to judge if this is any good or not. I don't like it much and wouldn't listen to it again.

Mine as well ;) I like the arrangement on this, though it might have done with a more powerful soul singer to really raise it up there as a truly great song.

Lazarus and the Gimp
30-10-2009, 15:21:58
I can't believe you've spent years slating Trip-Hop and then submit that Black Coffee travesty. It's like Trip-hop on valium.

lightblue
30-10-2009, 15:23:13
Cripes, that was a bad crosspost. Turns out Scabby just hates anything I put up :p

Scabrous Birdseed
30-10-2009, 15:26:14
I know! Consistently, last few rounds as well! It's strange - can't be a coincidence. ;)

lightblue
30-10-2009, 15:29:39
I really thought I'd managed this time... Must be some matter-antimatter thing; the moment you like one of my songs the universe will come to a sticky end. Maybe I should stick to metal that everyone can go "Meh" to :)

Funko
30-10-2009, 15:30:30
Cripes, that was a bad crosspost. Turns out Scabby just hates anything I put up :p

just means you're normal.

Scabrous Birdseed
30-10-2009, 15:32:45
I can't believe you've spent years slating Trip-Hop and then submit that Black Coffee travesty. It's like Trip-hop on valium.

You mean it takes everything good about trip-hop (the floaty bits) and removes the horrible pretentiousness, the samplemania, the boombap and the oh-so-annoying drum sounds?

Or maybe I've evolved. Oh look, Unfinished Sympathy (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11aq_massive-attack-unfinished-sympathy), maybe that's not so bad after all! :)

Scabrous Birdseed
30-10-2009, 15:34:27
I really thought I'd managed this time... Must be some matter-antimatter thing; the moment you like one of my songs the universe will come to a sticky end. Maybe I should stick to metal that everyone can go "Meh" to :)

We should make that a round theme. LWP: Meh Metal.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-11-2009, 14:01:03
Any more of these forthcoming?

Debaser
05-11-2009, 19:22:40
Oh yeah. Will do in a bit.

Nills Lagerbaak
05-11-2009, 22:08:36

Very strange, kind of late 90's deep house sound but almost dub-stepped up. not sure of what kind of purpose it'd serve though.

Mine. there isn't really much of the modern stuff I listen to on spotify, but if you can find an american band called Tragedy check them out...they rock

slightly pompus, but catchy gitar pop. what's with the cannons though. Only AC/DC can pull that off.

Annoying faux african pop, didn't work for Paul Simon, not now either.

mine- upon firther listening can see how thei is annoying! Maybe not theior best example.

Like it, feels like it wants to kick into Adamski killer though... a song that let's face it packs a bit more punch. Missing a bit of conviction.

Quit like this too but does suffer from breakbeat fatigue after a little bit. nothing to make it stand out from the crowd.

Quite laid back track, too laid back for a dance track for me, but it's true charm might be exhumed after a few biftas

Was enjoying this until the vocals, like an industrial goa trance tune. I love the (fake?) clarinet, but I think maybe a few samples instead of the annoying singing might have worked better.

don;t know what it is but it needs to be turned off!

Quite a dancy compilation...

good night!

Debaser
06-11-2009, 20:47:30
Sleeping Bear Lament - Architeq
Mine. I really wanted the Take mix, but it wasn't on Spotify so this one had to do. This one's probably a bit more tuneful, a bit less abstract. The version I really like is from a compilation album called Wild Angels, which is sort of glitchy futuristic dubstep I suppose.

Murders In The Rue Morgue - Iron Maiden
As Iron Maiden go this isn't too bad. The "not Bruce" singer helps, makes it sound more generic and less shit.

In This Together - Apoptygma Berzerk
There's always one Goth/dance/A-Ha type song on an LWP, and it's literally the only place I ever hear this kind of thing. Bless Laz, he tries, but it's probably time he gave up the long leather trench coat and kicked back with some Daniel Merriweather or something.

Warm Heart of Africa - The Very Best
This is awful. Hard to believe that for the briefest of moments in 2007 Afrobeat looked like a viable popular music option.

Little Lion Man - Mumford & Sons
Fuckin' hippies. Middle bit briefly sounds like the Cantina Band from Star Wars. That's the best bit.

Dancers - Circlesquare
Sounds like it should be from a mid-90s/millenium era film soundtrack, something like Spun or Natural Born Killers. Not too bad. Has something about it I like, but I'm not really sure what. Maybe an LCD Soundsystem kind of repetitive relentlessness.

GNG BNG - Flying Lotus
Mine. I picked this pretty randomly as basically the whole album 'Los Angeles' is a work of genius. Sketchy abstract Hip Hop. Amazing. Best album Warp have put out for ages. This record has pretty much singlehandedly stopped me listening to pussy whiney indie bands for the last 6 months. They don't really compare.

Turn Me On - Black Coffee
Turn me off.

Lightning Man - Nitzer Ebb
Sexy squelchy Depeche Mode synths. Stupid vocals though. Probably the theme tune to an awesomely cheesy 80s film. Best song on the compilation after mine and Iron Maiden. Not sure why this is considered Industrial, doesn't sound a million miles away from Oh Yeah by Yello.

Learnalilgivinanlovin - Gotye
I was hoping Gotye was a Black Metal band, and didn't really look at the song title too closely until it came on. Turns out it's a poor Four Tops tribute act. There are worse things in the world I suppose, but this is decidedly unremarkable.

Funko
11-11-2009, 09:49:57
Track list is:

I know the link is in the other thread, but handy if it's here too!