PDA

View Full Version : 3rd vs 14th

Greg W
10-10-2009, 07:51:40
Friendly, Netherlands v Australia. Both teams already qualified for the World Cup. :beer: Was somewhat surprised that Australia had climbed another 2 places to now rank #14 in the world! :eek:

Should be a good match, though the pitch will be wet, been raining all day in Sydney.

Smiley wise it's...

:beer: :bounce: :beer:

vs

:tizzy: :cute: :tizzy:

Greg W
10-10-2009, 09:21:28
Somewhat dull first half, in that the Aussies are looking decidedly off their game and have barely offered a shot. Dutch look much better, much classier (as you'd expect), but from their 9 shots, only have one on goal.

Probably doesn't help that half of the pitch looks very heavy, and the entire pitch is wet and slippery. Interesting stat is that Australia is undefeated against the Netherlands with one win last year in Rotterdam (I think) and a draw just before the 2006 WC.

Greg W
10-10-2009, 10:29:13
Well, ended 0-0, so we keep our undefeated record against the Dutch alive. First time they have been kept scoreless in 27 matches, so that's a good sign for us. Though again in the 2nd half, they were the better side. We created one good chance which was blazed over from the edge of the 6 yard box by Brett Holman, but neither keeper was really challenged to any degree.

As Harry Kewell stated after the match, it was not a good day to be playing football with the heavy pitch. We'll take the result though. :beer:

Fistandantilus
12-10-2009, 21:33:06
So you parked the bus uh?

Greg W
13-10-2009, 03:34:09
Right in front of the goal mouth! Worked wonders! :beer:

Fistandantilus
13-10-2009, 12:40:35
:lol:

Fistandantilus
13-10-2009, 12:41:40
Expectations? Quarterfinals?

Greg W
14-10-2009, 06:08:18
Hmmm...

A lot depends on the fitness (and form) of our top line players. Kewell, Cahill, Viduka (maybe), Bresciano, Emerton, Neill, Grella, Culina (who's playing in the Australian A-League and may not have played a professional game for 3-4 months prior to the WC if he doesn't get a short term loan spell somewhere)... If too many of them are injured or out of form, we will struggle to replace them. Many of our top line players are very good players on their day, but we lack depth in replacements.

On our day, I'd say that we're capable of quarters and possibly even semis if results/opponents go our way. But so much depends...

Let's just say I'd be disappointed if we don't get out of the group stages, but again, that'll depend on the make-up of the group. Once I see the group, then I'll give a prediction. ;)

I don't think that we're really good enough to be ranked 14th in the world though, despite completely dominating Asian WC qualifying. Better than Portugal, Czech Republic, Mexico, Paraguay, Uruguay and every single African country? :hmm:

Heck, even Japan, the 2nd ranked Asian side is ranked 40th... :eek: