PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play the old SSI AD&D Gold Box games?

Oerdin
29-09-2009, 20:08:22
I recently found an abandonware site which has these old games and I decided to give them another shot as I really enjoyed them back in the late 80's to early 90's. It really brings back the old memories too. Has anyone else played these old role playing game classics?

Greg W
30-09-2009, 02:42:15
Not the gold box games, no, for some reason I never got around to playing them.

I still occasionally drag out the Ultimas, Darklands, and I even played all the way through Wizardry 1 again a while ago. Was a blast!

Still remember fondly games like Eye of the Beholder and the like though.

MDA
30-09-2009, 10:51:31
I think I played all of them. I still remember strafing around a little 2x2 room so the dragon couldn't breathe on me in one of the EotB games.

Don't make the mistake of picking up Pool of Radiance 2, though! Not good.

Most recently played Wasteland and Might and Magic 6 (which now works for me on XP, I think there was either a fan-made patch or a specific windows update I had to install).

Fistandantilus
30-09-2009, 10:59:03
I think I played all of them. I still remember strafing around a little 2x2 room so the dragon couldn't breathe on me in one of the EotB games.

:D Memories.

King_Ghidra
30-09-2009, 11:48:11
A few months back i did very similarly and had a bash on Champions of Krynn and a couple of others, Death Knights of Krynn, i think.

I completed the original CoK on the Amiga as a lad. It was fucking hard and immensely frustrating as i recall, but i did love it. My main recollection was grossly abusing Stinking Cloud and then getting ranged insta kills on affected monsters.

I did grab some others but didn't get going on them. I'd love to play through Eye of the Beholder again some time. I had a bugged pirate copy on my amiga, and after spending ages getting a party strong enough to get to the drow levels it all went corrupt.

Greg W
30-09-2009, 12:59:40
Jeese, now you got me thinking... EotB was the 2nd colour semi-3D (well, it was cubes) first person dungeon crawl, now I am trying to remember the game that came before it.

Dungeon... something springs to mind. Buggered if I can remember what it was called though...

Oerdin
30-09-2009, 13:22:02

Don't make the mistake of picking up Pool of Radiance 2, though! Not good.

Most recently played Wasteland and Might and Magic 6 (which now works for me on XP, I think there was either a fan-made patch or a specific windows update I had to install).

With the gold box games you have to install a program called dos box to slow the movement down other wise everything moves super fast. I think it has something to do with how slow computer clock speeds were back in the day.

Oerdin
30-09-2009, 13:24:05
A few months back i did very similarly and had a bash on Champions of Krynn and a couple of others, Death Knights of Krynn, i think.

I completed the original CoK on the Amiga as a lad. It was fucking hard and immensely frustrating as i recall, but i did love it. My main recollection was grossly abusing Stinking Cloud and then getting ranged insta kills on affected monsters.

I did grab some others but didn't get going on them. I'd love to play through Eye of the Beholder again some time. I had a bugged pirate copy on my amiga, and after spending ages getting a party strong enough to get to the drow levels it all went corrupt.

I never played the SSI Dragon Lance games so maybe they will be next. I used to do the same trick with stinking cloud in Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure bonds. You'd just shoot it off right in front of your characters and then wait for the monsters to stupidly walk into the cloud and get immobilized. That no longer worked by the time Pools of Darkness came out. No one walks into my blade barrier spells and the monsters are actually smart enough to try to get out of it as soon as they can rather then sit there taking 40 HP damage per round.

King_Ghidra
30-09-2009, 14:20:50
Jeese, now you got me thinking... EotB was the 2nd colour semi-3D (well, it was cubes) first person dungeon crawl, now I am trying to remember the game that came before it.

Dungeon... something springs to mind. Buggered if I can remember what it was called though...

Dungeon Master

I has a similar one called Bloodwyche that i played quite a lot too.

MDA
30-09-2009, 15:25:44
there was a TI game called Tunnels of Doom too

Greg W
30-09-2009, 16:30:25
Dungeon Master

I has a similar one called Bloodwyche that i played quite a lot too.That's it. Finished EotB (I think all the way through to EotB3), but never managed to get far in Dungeon Master from memory.

Jeese, am getting very tempted to drag out EotB now. :D

Oerdin
01-10-2009, 09:31:38
I never actually played EothB. Is it worth it?

Fistandantilus
01-10-2009, 09:50:30
You'll find it very dated, IIRC there wasn't even automapping before the third chapter... it's a pain.

Greg W
01-10-2009, 09:51:37
I remember liking them at the time. Here's Home of the Underdogs view on them:Westwood's Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 remain today two of the best real-time RPGs ever produced. They feature great graphics for their time, tons of cool weapons and devious real-time puzzles that mysteriously make you come back for more traps and pressure plates to push. The plots are typical kill-the-big-foozle fare, but the games are so well implemented that you'll be glued to the screen for hours on end. The graphics and animations are both top-notch, and excellent sound effects add to the incredible "you are there" atmosphere that is rarely achieved in RPGs of that time.

Although EOB 2 feels at times like a poor rehash of its predecessor due to awfully similar graphics and monsters, it does feature more expansive and varied outdoor levels, as well as less frustrating endgame boss (defeating the Beholder in EOB 1 is nearly impossible if your party is not at maximum levels). They're both very challenging games that are definite must-play for dungeon-adventurers, especially fans of book-based AD&D. Too bad SSI's own EOB 3 doesn't measure up to these classics.Rated as a top dog...

Greg W
01-10-2009, 09:53:18
You'll find it very dated, IIRC there wasn't even automapping before the third chapter... it's a pain.Automapping? Pffft, what's wrong with grabbing some graph paper and mapping the game out? Or just remembering it as you go? Automapping? Sheesh, we should have been so spoiled back then...:violin:

Greg W
01-10-2009, 10:02:23
Or, hell, if you're desperate, google the maps. :p

Fistandantilus
01-10-2009, 10:08:38
Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved EoB, and played it several times with different parties mapping it all on paper sheets (which I think was necessary due to the amount of invisible teleporters an such). I still consider it one of the best RPG of all times (EoB2 expecially).

BUT, there are things in the interface and such in modern games I cannot live without now. Writing all the maps on paper it's time consuming as hell and imo, not so much entertaining.

It's just like Dune2. I tried picking it up again recently cause I remembered it as one of the best RTS I've played only to discover you couldn't select and give orders to multiple units.. I mean, 20 units? 20 clicks to select them + another 20 clicks to move them individually. It was just UGH.