PDA

View Full Version : I've Been Applying for Jobs

Japher
18-09-2009, 17:54:53
And I'm not qualified for them, but I've been getting a few nibbles. Strange really, I thought the economy was bad. I'm going to sign up for The Ladders, which apparently only advertises jobs but doesn't hire for them, and see what happens. Anyone know any good open CEO positions? Preferably ones with good golden parachutes, because I'm going to tank the company.

Oerdin
18-09-2009, 20:36:16
Didn't you just switch jobs like a year ago? You don't want your resume to look like a job hopper's.

Provost Harrison
18-09-2009, 20:50:53
Yeah, job slut!

Caligastia
18-09-2009, 21:27:20
Get as many jobs as you can, then sell them.

Japher
21-09-2009, 14:53:51
I got the job a year ago because I was laid off from the one I had, and had to do something while I finished school.

I will be getting my MBA in December, and am not in a position that would utilize it. Apparently, an engineer going for an MBA can't get a job that requires an MBA until they have the MBA, nor can they get an engineering job because if you are getting an MBA that says you don't want to be an engineer. Especially difficult to do when the economy is crashing as well, and you can't move because of school.

So, since school is ending I would like to find something that will utilize my new education. If that means having to take another job after only being in my current one for 1.5 years than so be it. I was only in my last one for 1.5 years because they laid me off, it wasn't my choice to leave.

Caligastia
21-09-2009, 14:58:05
I wouldn't worry too much about being perceived as a "job-hopper". If you're the person they are looking for it won't matter. And 1.5 years isn't bad. Previous to my current job I had never stayed anywhere for longer than 2.5 years, and I don't think it hurt me.

Japher
21-09-2009, 15:26:32
1.5 years in first job, left because they won't consider me for engineering job and left to take an engineering job

4.5 years in second job, left because pay wasn't increasing with cost of living, moved to Ohio

1.3 years in third job, left because the boss was an ass and a liar, and the work sucked monkey balls. Boss lied about job duties, and the ones I got were horrible.

1.5 years in fourth job, was effected by downsizing.

1.1 years with current job, won't leave until January which will be 1.3 years with the company. It's a small start up, no room for movement and we aren't planning on expanding, so that doesn't really help my job prospects.

JM^3
21-09-2009, 18:43:50
You are a go getter.

JM

Caligastia
21-09-2009, 21:41:46
http://grammartips.homestead.com/affect.html

Provost Harrison
22-09-2009, 03:04:29
Yeah, I stayed with my last job for 5 years. If it wasn't for the fact I was on a project for the last 1.5 of that I think I'd have left before I did.