PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Siege Review by Shining1

Nav
15-05-2002, 23:24:57
Review can be accessed here:

http://www.counterglow.net/article.php?id=dungeonsiege

Want to do a review for cg? yes? go for it then! Send them here: submissions@counterglow.net

Mightytree
16-05-2002, 01:29:00
Shining and Rachel are the only people I've talked to that like this game.

Herman
16-05-2002, 01:35:14
I like the game, most of my friends like the game, my brother likes the game...

To be honest you're the only person I've talked to that did not.

It seems we have different crowds.

Mightytree
16-05-2002, 01:52:35
Yup, I guess.

The difference may be that I've almost exclusively talked to people who had played D2 before they bought DS. There wasn't a single one that liked it. There's also a thread on the Lurkerlounge (the forum for the mature D2 player) somewhere with a couple of reviews. Hardly any in favour of it. DS on its own might be a good game, but if you played D2 before you expect more.

Shining1
16-05-2002, 03:25:56
Somehow, it just don't surprise me that the hardcore Diablo2 crowd can't get into Dungeon Siege.

It's like the RTS split. Total Annihilation, Age of Kings, and Starcraft are essentially the same game, but most elite players belong to one camp or other.

Religion seems to work in a similar way:D.

Herman
16-05-2002, 03:55:59
My group of online friends played D2 and D2X for a LONG, LONG time and we all love DS...

We realized that DS wasn't Diablo II, so we actually viewed it as a different game and played it as such. :D Lo and behold, we have a blast with it.

Shining1
16-05-2002, 06:32:02
MT: I'm not terribly in favour of it at the moment, to be perfectly honest. But it is great fun to play with other people, more so than Diablo2 (which doesn't even have a workable healing spell).

Sean
16-05-2002, 16:38:45
"They're robots. They fight. The end." - attributed to Chris Taylor, about the storyline for Total Annihilation.

So saying Chris Taylor stepped out of anonymity and into gaming folklore with the 1997 real time strategy hit Total Annihiliation.

You have a redundancy in the first two sentences, congratulations! Apart from that, great review, although wasn’t Daggerfall 3D? And Ultima Underworld?

And how in the name of Westwood did you get from Warcaft II, a cutesy game with close combat and cartoony graphics, to Total Annihilation, a game with massive robots, explosions, maps, and Big Berthas? Surely that was following on more from something like Z.

I don’t think you need to mention a Blizzard game every other paragraph; does this game not stand on its own? Was Diablo the first dungeon crawl?

The Shaker
16-05-2002, 18:57:45
I know a couple of other people who are totally addicted to that game.
They just enjoy it for itself, not what game it isn't.

Sirius Black
16-05-2002, 21:27:25
I'll probably end up getting it when it falls to $20 :D.

I don't need a Diablo clone too badly. I want a story to my RPGs :D.

Venom
17-05-2002, 12:50:56
What a long review.

Shining1
17-05-2002, 14:56:48
Venom: I should revise it a lot, but I'm playing Disciple2 right now. Hopefully they'll fix all the crap bits and then I can reduce it down to 'Dungeon Siege. Good.'

Shakey: But do they like the Goblins level?

Sean: Like I said, excuse me for being paranoid:D. As for Diablo, yes it was the first dungeon crawl. At least, the first done in an isometric perspective, in real time, that sold a truckload of units. It makes it very easy for people to understand the game right off if they know they're dealing with a Diablo clone and not, say, a Baldur's Gate clone. Or something completely different.

And I said the first 'playable 3D RPG'. There were others, but between the bugs and the bad gameplay, I don't think they deserve that title at all - so Ultima IX and Daggerfall don't count.

Mightytree
17-05-2002, 15:50:15
'Dungeon Siege. Good'? That must never happen! ;)

Oh, and I disagree about Ultima IX. It was perfectly fine after the first patch. Great game.

Fistandantilus
17-05-2002, 16:01:07
Originally posted by Mightytree

Oh, and I disagree about Ultima IX. It was perfectly fine after the first patch. Great game.

Ditto.

Venom
17-05-2002, 16:56:57
I never took the time to get the patch. Fuck that piece of shit. I took that shit right back.

Sean
17-05-2002, 17:26:14
Erm, Ultima Underworld, not Ultima IX.

Sean
17-05-2002, 20:33:48
Edit: wrong thread.

BigGameHunter
02-07-2002, 18:38:39
Good review...I just installed it and have only made it as far as Stonebridge...a little confused on just how and when and how much I should level characters up, as my initial farmer is mainly a melee fighter but I've been having him kill a bunch with Fireshot, just so he has options.
However, I picked up some good weaponry in the crypts and would like to use it...don't know if I should abandon magic use to the rest of the party (have the 1st girl and Gyorn now) and just have him level up strength and melee like crazy or what.
Not knowing how long the game will be makes this difficult. I figured I'd just have each new basic character work on something different. But now I've got this great Puller Staff and the Heart Stopper bow, so I'm torn....argh.
I thought I made a mistake when I bought DS and then read some reviews (I know, bad idea) but I'm pretty happy so far. It is a very nice looking game--besides, I don't think some of these other massive RPG's would run on my system, which is just good enough for DS and Freedom Force, etc.

MDA
02-07-2002, 19:28:44
Eww. Ultima IX had potential, but they totally fucked it up. My version couldn't be PROPERLY patched without them sending an entirely new one. You could finish the game OK with the download patches (so long as you started a new game after the patch release), but there were other problems that could only be fixed by sending a whole new CD. Of course, I registered my copy of the game and NEVER did get a mail copy. So I sent an email to the address they put on their website, I got back an automated tech support response. I should have put "lawsuit" in the subject line and let the tech support bot chew on that for a bit.

Combat was a clickfest joke - the only worthwhile special attack was the staff attack - to flip over the sand crabs and get to the soft bits.

Very disappointing end to a great series of games.

Sean
02-07-2002, 19:59:57
Originally posted by MDA
Combat was a clickfest joke
Like Morrowind?