PDA

View Full Version : Wot, no Morrowind thread?

Sean
15-05-2002, 18:31:05
It’s out in the US and Canada, you lucky bastards. Buy it! Review it!

Coming out at the end of May in UK, hopefully.

Mightytree
16-05-2002, 01:23:00
I got it yesterday. :D

Cumber
16-05-2002, 05:46:09
I want it. :(

Herman
16-05-2002, 05:58:28
I played it for half an hour but haven't been motivated to go back.

I stopped playing once I fell through the solid ground into nothingness.

LadyRachel
16-05-2002, 08:35:28
MDA said he had it, so everyone turn and stare at him until he talks about it.

I WANT it. :cry:

Funkodrom
16-05-2002, 08:40:31
What is it?

Shining1
16-05-2002, 09:01:00
It's fucking a man!

Funkodrom
16-05-2002, 09:06:40
Oh, sounds like an interesting game.

Funkodrom
16-05-2002, 12:32:42
So, what is it really?

Funkodrom
16-05-2002, 15:15:10
I had to do a search.

Single player, schmingle player.

Sean
16-05-2002, 16:23:22
Championship Manager :hmm:?

MDA
16-05-2002, 18:25:00
:nervous:

Stop it!!!

I'll probably have a review to turn in this weekend, as my wife will be out of town.

It took some tweaking to get running without crashing to desktop, and the framerates aren't Quake-quality, but I love the game. I did manage to find ONE spot where I could fall through the floor of the dungeon a la Daggerfall, and got stuck in a fencepost twice, thankfully there's a console command that rescued me. Darkstar, do not even think of buying this game until they patch it.

Lv 13 Khajit thief at the moment (think Larry Niven's Kzin), I've been working more on advancing in the Thief Guild more than the main quest. The sheer amount of stuff to do and explore is staggering. I haven't even played with the editor/creation tools yet.

I've actually written about six pages of draft already, working on trimming it into something that doesn't look like stream-of-consciousness. I scored in the lowest 25th percentile on my MCATs in college, so be patient, or else. :)

Sean
16-05-2002, 18:32:27
It wouldn’t be the true sequel to Daggerfall unless you could fall through the floor.

MDA
16-05-2002, 18:36:14
Hint: update your drivers, and make sure ALL your system specs exceed those recommended for the game.

I'm currently running beta detonator drivers for my geforce 3, which I've never done before. I also had to upgrade my soundblaster live! value drivers to prevent crashes, which I've never had to do before. Finally, I may or may not have downloaded a safedisc-free version of the executable which cut down on some in-game video stutters, maybe. If I had downloaded a cracked executable, it would also have been the first time ever.

Anyway, the game has run bug-free for over a week, except for the time our power went out during an autosave(what are the fucking odds of that happening when it takes two seconds to save, and the power only goes out [for a heartbeat] once a month?). I had to delete the autosave file in order to load my other saved games (Why?). It took me longer to remember how to reset the clock on the VCR, though, so no biggie.

Ellipsis
16-05-2002, 19:02:16
Oh boy oh boy oh boy....

:bounce:

This is going to be expensive.

Mightytree
16-05-2002, 19:45:53
Probably the best thing about it are the plugins. Enables people to quickly fix bugs and balance issues themselves and add new features to the game, without having to rely on Bethesda. Awesome.

Funkodrom
17-05-2002, 09:35:29
Originally posted by Sean
Championship Manager :hmm:?

1.5 seasons play in 2 years.

Mightytree
17-05-2002, 12:43:11
IGN review, gives it 9.4 out of 10. :)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/359/359554p1.html

Mightytree
17-05-2002, 20:33:36
I'm in love with this game. :love: :love:

Sean
17-05-2002, 20:35:04
Mt: http://pc.ign.com/articles/162/162062p1.html

:p.

Mightytree
17-05-2002, 20:41:41
:eek:

:bash: :bash: :bash:

:nervous:

Sean
17-05-2002, 20:44:33
I would just like to say that this does not stop me wanting Morrowind.

Mightytree
17-05-2002, 20:46:34
It's great. I ordered it from the US a week ago and got it on Tuesday. :)

MDA
20-05-2002, 17:27:01
I found a cool Daedric Spear, ebony breastplate and greaves, perfect for my Redguard tank character!!

I think I'm going to start leaving imperial "uniforms" in all the forts so I don't have to carry one everywhere I go.

Heavy fighters, with a little utility and healing magic are extremely easy to play with. Fun for a while, but once you have the equipment... well, there's still tons of cool stuff to explore. I think I'm more challenged playing a lightweight, low endurance thief.

I've been trying to find someone who can use the books I've found to translate Dwemer airship designs. Can't find the guy, he's not where I was told I could find him. I'm also keeping my ears open for anything about a lost passwall spell. None of this has anything to do with the main quest, as far as I can tell. That's the best part.

Second best: I found another place I could fall through the floor.

I'm considering killing any and all Telvanni wizards that hide at the top of towers you must fly up, just for making me work so hard to get to them. Bastards.

So when am I going to work on that review?

Mightytree
20-05-2002, 17:40:48
Yep, fighters are really easy to play. I do not play one but there's a lot of complaining about that on the official forums. Seems like a lot of powergamers came over from D2 or similar games and are playing Morrowind the same style they're used to from hack'n'slash games. You won't have much fun if you approach the game like that. It's not a game for powergamers, it's for people that actually want to roleplay.

I'm playing a thief and after about 20 hours of playing I'm not even level 3. Still, I'm having a blast. Also, so far I haven't followed the main quest at all. The first Blades quest seems to be more for the fighters among us so I don't know if I can handle that at all with my weak thief.

Also, it hasn't yet crashed once, although some people said the game was extremely buggy. I haven't seen that yet.

MDA
20-05-2002, 19:23:03
I was level 14 or 15 thief before I could handle the "Bloodbath" quest. Turned out to be a matter of choosing a chokepoint that let me fight one on one (and plentiful use of taunts). I haven't tried as a fighter, but I think with heavy armor and a halberd I could have handled them all at once at level one. Particularly with that Redguard adrenalin(e) rush power. +50 to your combat related attributes for 60 seconds is just too much. They should make the weight of your armor count into how long it takes you to get back up from a knockdown, maybe make knockdowns a little easier on heavier armored characters. That could help balance them a bit with the lightweights.

Easiest way around the problem is to not play a tank. When my wife gets back from her conference, we'll break the thief back out and head back to the main quest. I'm forbidden to advance the story until she returns :)

I had a couple of crash to desktops over the weekend, but that was in MANY hours of playing. Once I tweaked my system, things started to run much better. Defragging helped most of all, I'd guess. My drive was an absolute mess. Raid has posted that framerate issues will be one of the main things addressed in the first patch. No expected date, but they're working on one.

Damn fine game, though.