PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated band of all time

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-06-2009, 19:13:38
I go for Kraftwerk. The least gifted of the Krautrock bands proving that the right image can reap success. Then you just spend the next 25 years releasing rehashed versions of old stuff, over and over again.

Lazarus and the Gimp
24-06-2009, 19:15:50
I'm listening to "Autobahn" right now. It's really boring.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
25-06-2009, 16:09:23
I'm listening to "Autobahn" right now. It's really boring.

I think you're missing out the wit involved in people writing a paean to a motorway- and what amounts to a love song to the automobile.

And Side 2 is quite varied- although the ambient/soundscape aspects of Mitternacht and Morgenspaziergang sound somewhat unpolished compared with the lush tropical vistas conjured up buy the Hassell/Eno collaoration or Michael Brook's 'Aquarium' for the time they were fun and advanced.

I feel that 'Kometenmelodie I & II' are also feel-good songs- and given the contemporary background in West Germany at the time, why not write a couple of songs that sound like distant ancestors of 'V-2 Schneider' ?

Given that Kraftwerk and Neu initially came from the same place, and that both groups place a great emphasis on repetition and cumulative patterns of sound, there's inevitably going to be what appears to some as history repeating itself.

Having said that, in no way do I find 'Radio Acitivity' to be in any way like 'Trans Europe Express', which equally, I find is quite different to 'The Man Machine'.

But then, I'm a fan...

Now I've never found 20 minute guitar solos in the slightest bit interesting, so there's a fair few prog rock and metal bands I find either unlistenable, achingly dull or vastly overrated.

And don't get me started on what is laughingly referred to today as R'n'B... or the likes of Usher.

Scabrous Birdseed
26-06-2009, 17:44:13
I'll continue passing the baton.

Modern R&B is currently (in my mind) the most interesting and deeply musical genre in the world right now. The level of songwriting by masters like The-Dream and James Faultneroy is unparalelled - the pure craftsmanship of the production, the clever, well-wrought lyrical content, the sensitively balanced lyrical delivery - this sort of professional quality has not been heard in black music since the Gambler-Huff stuff of the seventies.

It's also socially sensitive beyond most pop - it picked up on the recession way before any other genre. And it makes me soar with delight at its high points - it's really fulfilled the promise of euphoric euphony that dance music had but squandered, now that its sheer landscapes are coupled with all the structure and harmony tricks of western music history. The best R&B is utterly, utterly beautiful.

The most overrated band in the world is De La Soul.

Walrus Feeder
26-06-2009, 19:49:20
Pink Floyd. Never saw what all the fuss was about. Find them very underwhelming and dreary. Their music all seems to drift along aimlessly at at the same tempo and never really seems to soar to any peaks or takes you anywhere really special when you listen to it.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
01-07-2009, 11:00:31
I'll continue passing the baton.

Modern R&B is currently (in my mind) the most interesting and deeply musical genre in the world right now. .

Yes, all other musical genres are hampered by their lack of music, musical instruments and musicians. Oh, and lack of musicianship.

It's also socially sensitive beyond most pop - it picked up on the recession way before any other genre

Oh really ? So, no folk, folk rock, nu-folk (ghastly term) or indie groups had any social awareness of the recession ?

Do you have a precise date for this dawning of social sensitivity- presumably it occurred at the same time as a general championing of women's rights in the workplace, a call for action on climate change and an exploration of the rights of people with disabilities- all of which could be found on an Usher album, or a P. Diddy disc, I'm sure....

King_Ghidra
01-07-2009, 11:09:01
Pink Floyd. Never saw what all the fuss was about. Find them very underwhelming and dreary. Their music all seems to drift along aimlessly at at the same tempo and never really seems to soar to any peaks or takes you anywhere really special when you listen to it.

I have an almost entirely opposite view.

Walrus Feeder
01-07-2009, 17:22:59
I don't dislike them altogether or consider them bad. Comfortably Numb is a fine tune but i've never felt i've experience anything special once i've given albums of theirs a full listen.

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-07-2009, 17:28:15
I thought I was experiencing something special when listening to them once, but it turned out to be the early symptoms of food poisoning.

Walrus Feeder
01-07-2009, 21:36:14
Wasn't that Keith Floyd?

Funko
02-07-2009, 07:58:10
He did often look rather pink.