PDA

View Full Version : Euro U21s

Funko
23-06-2009, 08:04:49
England looking very good in this tournament so far, shockingly they appear to be the best team on display. The only team to qualify with a game to spare, they effectively knocked out Spain and their second string broadly outplayed fancied Germans in a 1-1 draw list night (although the Germans only needed a draw).

This competition allows only one knockout round in which to get knocked out on penalties, so I guess that's what'll happen next.

Fistandantilus
23-06-2009, 16:36:00
We're getting good coverage of this and i'm enjoying it a lot :beer:

Funko
24-06-2009, 07:59:00
Two really good looking semi-finals.

I fancy an England vs Italy final but Sweden have been quite impressive and they are at home (although I do think that was the weaker group) so I think it'll be a tough game. Germany looked very beatable against England maybe they'll raise their game... who knows!

Funko
29-06-2009, 11:49:13
England Germany final tonight. Both teams hit with injuries/suspensions. England possibly a bit harder.

The semi-final against Sweden was amazing, 3-0 up then Sweden come back with some brilliant football. And England win on penalties, with the goalie taking and scoring the second kick having missed the first one.

Italy will be disappointed to go out against the Germans I'm sure. The Italians looked much better technically, but the germans ground out a result as always! The German defence is great. Only conceded that one goal in the tournament so far against England-B.

Fistandantilus
29-06-2009, 12:18:59
Germany had 1 decent shot 1 goal, it was entertaining nevertheless.

I think England will easily win.

fp
30-06-2009, 05:32:20
Oh shit ..... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8122457.stm

:(

fp
30-06-2009, 06:35:33
Interestingly, the Germans are now European champions at under-17, under-19 and under-21 level!!

Funko
30-06-2009, 07:56:12
Was a bit like the Italy game, England dominated possession, looked the more skilful team, created more decent attacking positions in the first half, but the Germans defended brilliantly, were extremely disciplinedm, took advantage of every mistake and scored excellent goals at crucial times. The last two were on the break as England threw everyone forward and make the score look bad, but a well deserved victory.

England having no strikers available really did cause them problems. Walcott probably had his best game but he drifted wide too often there was no focus to the attacks.

Fistandantilus
30-06-2009, 10:54:45
Interestingly, the Germans are now European champions at under-17, under-19 and under-21 level!!

Yet they suck. Amazing.

Funko
30-06-2009, 15:01:49
They are the same as the senior team

Walrus Feeder
01-07-2009, 17:25:19
It's true what some commentaot on the radio said the ither night. We have decent 'engine room' type physical players and good athletes but luck any real players with great technique, skill and creativity.

Funko
02-07-2009, 07:54:23
I think that's unfair on our U21s, their technique was pretty good. Lots of long periods of posession, lots of good passes into players in tight situations and those players were dealing well with it. Lots of players prepared to run at a man and try and beat him. I was pleasantly surprised with how good they were technically.

They certainly kept the ball better than most teams. The Italians were probably the best technically but England weren't far behind.