PDA

View Full Version : Book Suggestions?

BigGameHunter
13-06-2009, 20:34:00
I'm going to Montana for the second half of July and I'm going to be doing the following: drinking, sleeping, fishing, reading. Repeat.

Looking for one or two largeish books or consolidated series (i.e. the complete Narnia (read) or Amber chronicles (also read).)

Nothing with tons of foreign named characters, etc. that I have to backtrack to figure out what they are in the book for.

I'm a big sci-fi fan. Like hybrids (like Amber).

Anything I'm missing out there? Might have to get Wolfe's Executioner series back from an overambitious workmate I lent it to...I know he hasn't read it. Maybe the Riverworld series again...don't think its all under one cover though.

Thanks!

DaShi
14-06-2009, 08:38:05
The Harry Potter?

Greg W
14-06-2009, 09:00:31
The Chronicles of Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock is great. I haven't read them in years, but I also used to love Hawkmoon, Corum and a bunch of his other books/series. Most of his series I have found available in one volume these days.

If you can find the Stainless Steel rat books in one volume (Harry Harrison) they're a good read too.

The I Robot omnibus by Asimov, and the Foundation and Empire series if you can find them together as well.

BigGameHunter
17-06-2009, 06:48:46
I've read all of those...no real interest in Potter...I must be the only person on the planet who doesn't care for that series. The movies are fun though! Maybe I'll try Dune...I always resisted that one for some reason.

Greg W
17-06-2009, 07:24:25
The first Dune book was good. After that I got a little bored to be honest.

Could try the Chronicles of Morgaine by C.J. Cherryh? Wasn't my cup of tea, but a lot of people like it.

I did like Battlefield Earth by L Rob Hubbard (even if it isn't a series). Even if he did create that dopey religion.

Other than that I can't suggest a heck of a lot as I am more of a Fantasy reader than Sci-Fi. I did enjoy The Night's Dawn series by Peter F Hamilton, though that's somewhat hard core Sci-Fi. Also currently enjoying the Saga of the Seven Suns series by Kevin J Anderson.

Sir Penguin
21-06-2009, 16:20:10
The Dark Tower: blend of SF, fantasy, western, etc. It's a quality series, although I'm not a big Stephen King fan.

Anything by Neal Stephenson is great. His most accessible is Snow Crash, a 500-page send-up of the cyberpunk genre from the early 90s. Cryptonomicon (800 pages), The Baroque Cycle (3000 pages over 3 volumes) and Anathem (1000 pages) can be a little harder to get into if you're not into math and computers.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is an excellent fantasy book (700 pages), but it's the first novel of an unfinished series.

John Scalzi writes super-easy-to-read SF that's very entertaining, if not beautiful prose. The Android's Dream starts off with a 50-page fart joke.

China Mieville does fantasy/steampunk/horror that's very good if you can get through the first couple hundred pages.

SP

JM^3
21-06-2009, 16:46:04
Culture books by Ian Banks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_M._Banks

Book of the New Sun, Long Sun, Short sun by Gene Wolf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_wolf

Alliance/Union or Morgaine by CJ Cherryh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherryh

Miles or Curse of Challion and Paladin of Souls by Bujold. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lois_McMaster_Bujold

JM

Lazarus and the Gimp
21-06-2009, 17:12:31
The Mythago Wood books by Robert Holdstock.

Sir Penguin
21-06-2009, 21:05:43
I listed to the Vorkosigan Saga audiobooks, they were generally enjoyable. Some were much better than others.

SP

RedFred
03-07-2009, 03:18:57
Hey BGH - stay away from those dental floss tycoons.

Neal Stephenson is both an awesome science fiction writer and non-science fiction writer. His latest, a foray into the alternate universe genre of science fiction is not to be missed. Probably his best book ever. Read it! Honestly! ;)

MOBIUS
05-07-2009, 20:17:56
Neal Stephenson is indeed a God