PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Memo

Asher
13-05-2009, 18:46:32
Just got a memo with hilarious PR spin.

In an effort to continue to be one of the best employers in Canada, they're offering management staff an "exciting opportunity" to take Fridays off from June 15th to Sept 18th. Fine print is you have a 20% salary reduction during this period.

You can't just do it for one weekend or so, it needs to be every single one.

EXCITING.

KrazyHorse
13-05-2009, 18:47:50
Uh.....sounds like they're really desperate to reduce payroll.

Japher
13-05-2009, 18:49:12
If you quit your job now we won't have to fire you! Isn't that awesome!

Asher
13-05-2009, 18:52:36
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Uh.....sounds like they're really desperate to reduce payroll.
Yeah. Problem with the company is apparently a good 90% of the workforce is unionized. Management, of course, is not. It's far easier to cut costs with management than with the unionites.

And I'm in a position that is not a direct revenue generator, though we keep getting assurances from the CIO level and higher that we're okay because we're the direction the company is heading (away from paper, into IT).

Asher
13-05-2009, 18:55:37
Mind you starting next month I report directly to the CIO, which may help out in keeping employment.

Japher
13-05-2009, 18:57:31
Now is not a good time to be looking for a job. I realized today that I should be making about 50% more than I do based on experience. I took this job out of desperation, and got the short end. Still, it's tough out there. I e-mailed a couple people this morning about getting placed after I get my MBA in January and they told me it might take that long to find something.

How's your hubby's hunt going? I know we're both ChemEs

Asher
13-05-2009, 19:01:43
Originally posted by Japher
Now is not a good time to be looking for a job. I realized today that I should be making about 50% more than I do based on experience. I took this job out of desperation, and got the short end. Still, it's tough out there. I e-mailed a couple people this morning about getting placed after I get my MBA in January and they told me it might take that long to find something.
I got laid off in February and landed this job (my 1st interview) just a week later. The market is rough but not too bad for me.

How's your hubby's hunt going? I know we're both ChemEs
He was very sick for a few weeks, until last week, which inhibited the search...but it's on now, but looking grim. He's a new grad with ~2 years co-op student experience from the best engineering school in the country, but that doesn't seem to help.

Japher
13-05-2009, 19:04:13
Suks. Guess I'd rather be making something than nothing. Good luck to you both.

Asher
13-05-2009, 19:08:01
We'll survive. I got a sizable effective bonus since I got a nice package from my last firm and started work at the new place so quickly (with a raise). Covered all my moving costs in addition to adding to the rainy day fund.

self biased
13-05-2009, 19:13:31
i have all but landed another kitchen job. i wish he was willing to pay me under the table so i can milk the unemployment for a few weeks, but alas, he can't. i've all but got the job; i just don't want to give up my 4 weeks severance pay.

Sirius Black
13-05-2009, 19:16:57
I think its a trap. Find out which management is dumb enough not to read the fine print and then can their asses!

Asher
13-05-2009, 19:17:24
My team got told directly right after that even though we "can" do it, we can't...

MOBIUS
13-05-2009, 22:15:34
Work for yourself - you can't fire yourself!:)

Koshko
13-05-2009, 23:55:09
They just gave a 5% pay reduction across the board here.

self biased
14-05-2009, 00:47:59
and i keep reading the title as "corprate MEEMO."

Koshko
14-05-2009, 01:10:58
Originally posted by self biased
and i keep reading the title as "corprate MEEMO."

They would have no idea who Meemo is.

KrazyHorse
14-05-2009, 02:50:42
Originally posted by Koshko
They just gave a 5% pay reduction across the board here.

They forced everybody at my wife's work to take 5% unpaid furlough every paycheque (4 hours every two weeks) for a period of 4 months. But they also gave her a 16% pay increase. :lol:

Oerdin
14-05-2009, 04:51:30
Good for her. They eliminated all over time at my work which kind of sucks as when I got hired I negotiated a base salary plus extra pay if I work over time (but only at the standard rate instead of time and a half). I was relaying on that extra money to buy those nice little extras we all like to have like trips and what not. I can't wait for this recession to end.

notyoueither
14-05-2009, 05:24:08
Originally posted by Asher
Yeah. Problem with the company is apparently a good 90% of the workforce is unionized. Management, of course, is not. It's far easier to cut costs with management than with the unionites.

And I'm in a position that is not a direct revenue generator, though we keep getting assurances from the CIO level and higher that we're okay because we're the direction the company is heading (away from paper, into IT).

You are working for a dinosaur.

It may last a while, but keeping the resume brushed up and out there for something better could hardly be bad for the career.

Funko
14-05-2009, 07:56:17
Originally posted by Asher
Mind you starting next month I report directly to the CIO, which may help out in keeping employment.

As long as you don't cock anything up. :beer:

Asher
14-05-2009, 12:32:29
Originally posted by notyoueither
You are working for a dinosaur.

It may last a while, but keeping the resume brushed up and out there for something better could hardly be bad for the career.
Yes, I'm quite aware. For now the job is pretty good, the benefits are great, the pay is good, and the location is perfect for me. It's not intended to be a long-term thing, more of a wait out a recession and find a better job out west.

Drekkus
14-05-2009, 12:55:14
what dinosaur is it?

Asher
14-05-2009, 13:30:35
It's a Canadian company you probably don't know. They're the biggest phone book company in the world, though they're getting away from phone books/directories and into an info-services company.

Basically using the same database as what they used for the phone book and providing it to Google (google maps uses it in Canada) and other companies, as well as hosting our own website (which is a top-10 website in Canada). Current focus is on building out tech to access this data from everywhere. We're building websites, mobile apps (iPhone, blackberry, android, nokia/symbian, windows mobile), and soon to be working with auto manufacturers as well.

I'm part of the very, very small team that actually prototypes and builds these apps.

But the point remains that the company itself is a dinosaur. A very profitable one currently, but the future is far from certain.

KrazyHorse
14-05-2009, 18:11:05
canada411.com?

KrazyHorse
14-05-2009, 18:20:58
If so, then I have a complaint for you: you misspelled my sister's first name.

:shoot:

Asher
14-05-2009, 18:31:17
Bell supplies that to us

Canada411 is one of many properties. Yellowpages, PagesJaunes, torontoplus/montrealplus/calgaryplus/etc, autotrader, hometrader, etc also

Asher
14-05-2009, 18:32:41

If you really want it changed, I can make it happen...

Lurker
14-05-2009, 18:44:22

:lol:

Asher
19-05-2009, 18:47:42
Update: Middle-aged guy who sat next to me (and stuttered all the time, and I thought had no purpose) was laid off.

My manager has resigned for a bunch of reasons (mostly personal, his baby is due in June).

As a result, I just got a de facto promotion and became a helluva lot more valuable. Sometimes life just works out.

Asher
19-05-2009, 19:05:03
I'm hoping to get an underground parking spot out of this.

[/vulture]

The Mad Monk
20-05-2009, 05:36:24
Still on 32 hour weeks, but orders are picking up. My hourly rate is such that this is merely annoying and not catastrophic.

Japher
20-05-2009, 13:53:57
Our work flow is slowing.

The bosses are nice guys, but not nice/stupid enough to pay me if they aren't getting paid themselves.

I only need another 6 months out of this job. Once I have my MBA I'll be overqualified... sort of. At least I'll be qualified for other positions.

Still, I'm starting to look now for the right job. With the limited supply out there it may take 6 months, and if the jobs that are being lined up at my current place fall through I may be on the street again (metaphorically). I know they don't want to get rid of me, but that choice may not be up to them.