PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek

Funko
11-05-2009, 12:52:53
Anyone seen it yet? My little brother gave it a massively good recommendation.

King_Ghidra
11-05-2009, 13:02:11
trekkie at work liked it

protein
11-05-2009, 13:14:14
the trailers make it look crap. maybe i should go and see it with low expectations.

Funko
11-05-2009, 13:25:20
Pete suggested it was as new Doctor Who was to old Doctor Who, except much better.

MoSe
11-05-2009, 13:27:58
I was about to go when it came out friday, but got late

maybe tomorrow

MOBIUS
11-05-2009, 13:45:04
Half really liked it and half really hated it...

I do like how they've fucked with the original timeline so as to create an 'alternate reality' and a clean slate in the Star Trek realm and avoid all the continuity issues...:beer:

protein
11-05-2009, 13:45:22
i don't like the new dr who.

my only worry is that it's going to be a cross between dawsons creek, spiderman and xmen

Asher
11-05-2009, 13:51:22
It's a really, really good action flick. It breathes new life into a stale franchise.

Very entertaining, top-notch effects, great casting, spot of humour in there. The only thing I didn't like were the few seconds of screentime the ST versions of Ewoks got (but I'm told this was an intentional homage to the actual Ewoks...)

People at the theatre clapped at the end. It's been YEARS since that's happened to a movie I've been to here...

Funko
11-05-2009, 13:51:38
Originally posted by protein
i don't like the new dr who. :eek: :eek:

MOBIUS
11-05-2009, 13:53:38
I loathe and detest all the alternate reality plots as it is basically lazy storytelling ST stylee. Paradoxically, after being initially pissed off with 'here we go with another alternate reality plot':rolleyes:, I was quite impressed with the outcome...

New series in the offing at all? I'd hit it!:D

Asher
11-05-2009, 13:54:38
Article on how ILM did the special effects: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10237193-52.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1

Asher
11-05-2009, 13:55:36
Originally posted by MOBIUS
I loathe and detest all the alternate reality plots as it is basically lazy storytelling ST stylee. Paradoxically, after being initially pissed off with 'here we go with another alternate reality plot':rolleyes:, I was quite impressed with the outcome...

I was hesitant at first, but it was very much necessary. Otherwise we already know what happens. :) There's a lot of fuckups in the original canon ST timeline, mostly relating to lazy writing in the Voyager/Enterprise shit (though I guess Enterprise is still canon)...

Asher
11-05-2009, 13:56:55
And I wouldn't be surprised if this renews interest in another series. It could be very successful if done right. Not with the same cast, but another ship in a similar timeline.

The problem with the later Treks was technology was too advanced. It made it boring.

MOBIUS
11-05-2009, 14:00:54
Still, one mustn't forget that there was a massive amount of really improbable to downright impossible plot devices in this film that, once you step back and review what you've just seen - no amount of amazing CGI could compensate for.

The story itself sucks donkey balls apart from the reboot and the major shafting of a central ST race...

Effects: 9/10

Story: 3/10

Film: 6/10

Asher
11-05-2009, 14:13:26
I didn't see anything too impossible in it. Did you forget you were seeing a sci-fi movie?

We're talking about a universe where transporters and warp drives exist, I mean...

protein
11-05-2009, 14:27:10
Originally posted by Funko
:eek: :eek:
it's really, really gay. it's like hollyoaks with cgi. there's nothing remotely sinister about it. doctor 1 was a young heartthrob period drama actor. doctor 2 was a one dimensional over the top childrens tv presenter. all the outside shots have weird purple lights that make it look like a top of the pops outside broadcast and its all shot in wales.

and there's cgi on everything!!! i'd rather see shit miniatures than xbox standard graphics. the production values can't compete with star trek, so why bother? why not use creativity instead of computer graphics?

if they get a really good doctor and a new look i might be interested. a stephen fry or a brian blessed or a rowan atkinson. the doctor is meant to have bad teeth and comic timing. like a crazy uncle. not like some bloke who's stepped off the set of a period drama.

rant rant rant... :lol:

protein
11-05-2009, 14:28:09
i refused to watch the hitchhikers guide movie because it dared to recreate the magic of the original.

Asher
11-05-2009, 14:37:22
Just read the Slashdot.org comments on this movie.

There's a lot of really pissed off Trekkies. :D "HE MURDERED IT!!!!!!! "

Funko
11-05-2009, 14:43:36
i refused to watch the hitchhikers guide movie because it dared to recreate the magic of the original.

Good choice in that case, it was dreadful.

Funko
11-05-2009, 14:45:02
it's really, really gay. it's like hollyoaks with cgi. there's nothing remotely sinister about it.

There have been some sinister episodes like blink or the one they are stuck on that tourist bus thingy.

But Dr. Who was never really scary unless you were 8. Watching old ones back now it's shocking how unscary they are.

MDA
11-05-2009, 14:56:24
So, is "The Fast and the Furious: In Space" accurate, because that's what I was afraid of getting. Reviews have been good though, so I'm tempted to go.

Asher
11-05-2009, 14:57:54
It's definitely glossy, shiny, and more action-oriented. But "Fast and the Furious in space" is not accurate.

MOBIUS
11-05-2009, 15:15:46
Originally posted by Asher
I didn't see anything too impossible in it. Did you forget you were seeing a sci-fi movie?

We're talking about a universe where transporters and warp drives exist, I mean...

I cannot riposte without spoilering this thread to kingdom come, but I'm not talking about Sci-Fi impossible, just the real life bits being impossible, not to mention staggering coincidences and some totally lame 'comedy' moments. But then you've been hypnotised by all the shiny bulges thrusting themselves provocatively like so much eye candy...

Asher
11-05-2009, 15:22:41
test

Asher
11-05-2009, 15:23:05
This forum sucks. We'll talk on Poly about how you are wrong.

MOBIUS
11-05-2009, 15:32:33
Enjoy the next few hours, as they are your last before significant takedown pwnage is meted out on your shiny new movie...:shoot:

Translation: Finishing work, off for a meal and won't be home for a few hours.

King_Ghidra
12-05-2009, 08:06:42
doctor 1 was a young heartthrob period drama actor.

that's certainly one of the more original bio's of christopher eccleston i've seen

alsieboo
12-05-2009, 09:45:33
I've heard about these impressive bulges.

MoSe
15-05-2009, 10:04:38
Half really liked it and half really hated it...

I do like how they've fucked with the original timeline so as to create an 'alternate reality' and a clean slate in the Star Trek realm and avoid all the continuity issues...:beer: Originally posted by MOBIUS

I commend you for your non-spoling hints.

Despite having read the above before, till the end I was like all expecting "I wonder now HOW they'll manage to backtrack all this" and in the end I was left like "...WOW..."

:D

I watched the movie as if it was ABOUT alternate reality, and instead that's almost merely a narrative kick-off

what I have instead a little issues with:
- did I got it wrong, or the movie claims that's the first Enterprise they built?
- I miss the foreheads! :lol:
- some characters are superbly casted imo, others are ludicrous. does Chechov have that pathetic Russian accent in the original version too?
- was that REALLY Winona? I still can't convince myself
- some new effects are nice (i.e. warp start) others lost all the magic (i.e. the teleporting)
- at the beginning, it does relly felt more in a SW style than ST. bleurgh.

I have to go to lunh now.
will update you in the appropriate lunch thread

Asher
15-05-2009, 12:38:08
Chechov did have the overblown accent in the original.

Fact: The original Checkov was born in Chicago.
The new Checkov was actually born in what was then the USSR...

MDA
15-05-2009, 14:11:39
there was no letter painted after the number on the hull, so you'd think it was the first, but I could have just missed seeing it (but it looked nothing like the Bakulaprise)

who the hell was Winona? the Orion roomate?

I liked the movie. I can see how the die hard ST canon fans would be pissed, but it had a lot of the same action of the old ST, much less emphasis on the preachy morality play. I thought it was right on target for casual fans, which is probably their biggest market anyway. If I'd never seen Star Trek, it may have been just another forgettable summer action movie.

Spock having a girlfriend was the only thing that really left me feeling weird.

I'm definitely curious to see what happens next.

Oh, the third skydiver had a red suit. :lol:

MOBIUS
15-05-2009, 14:41:42
Originally posted by MDA
there was no letter painted after the number on the hull, so you'd think it was the first, but I could have just missed seeing it (but it looked nothing like the Bakulaprise)

Bakulaprise came before Kirkprise, therefore it is still, unfortunately, 'canon' (seeing as we're all using this word, I shall continue...). There is a mention of Scotty disappearing 'Admiral Archer's Beagle', hence his being marooned on Delta Vega as punishment.

who the hell was Winona? the Orion roomate?

Kirk's mum, I think.

I liked the movie. I can see how the die hard ST canon fans would be pissed, but it had a lot of the same action of the old ST, much less emphasis on the preachy morality play. I thought it was right on target for casual fans, which is probably their biggest market anyway. If I'd never seen Star Trek, it may have been just another forgettable summer action movie.

I don't care they've 'wiped the slate clean', I actually think that's a great idea. My main problem is that the story writing is too lazy - right from having no imagination about the villain's name to, well, basically everything else... Not to mention the stupid comedy crap like Chekov's accent, or Scotty stuck in the water pipe...:rolleyes:

Spock having a girlfriend was the only thing that really left me feeling weird.

Obviously to show he had more emotions back then...:lol:

I'm definitely curious to see what happens next.

It seems to me set up for a series - a remake of the original 5 year mission...

Oh, the third skydiver had a red suit. :lol:

Yeah, you just knew he was going to die...:lol:

King_Ghidra
15-05-2009, 14:44:01
Spock has a girlfriend? Oh lord, vulcans having sex, what terribly underwhelming images that evokes

MoSe
15-05-2009, 15:06:49
I checked wiki and found out that Archer's was NX-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Enterprise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_timeline

2245-2250 The USS Enterprise, a Constitution class vessel is launched under the command of Robert April, on a five-year mission of exploration
2250 After a refit, the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) is launched on a second five-year mission under Captain Christopher Pike

2258 The events of Star Trek (2009) take place

2264-2269 James T. Kirk is captain of the starship Enterprise on a historic five-year mission
2269 The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) returns from its five-year mission under the command of Captain James T. Kirk and enters major refit while Kirk is promoted to Admiral at Starfleet Command
2271 V'ger movie
2271-2276 The upgraded USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) embarks on a five-year mission under the command of Admiral James T. Kirk
2277 Around this time the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) is retired from active duty and assigned as a training vessel in orbit of Earth
2285 The Wrath of Khan & The Search for Spock: The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) is destroyed to prevent it from falling into Klingon hands

2286 The Voyage Home. The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-A) is launched

so, I never actually considered that until the whales movie they were all just refits of the same ship/version

MoSe
15-05-2009, 15:11:28
Kirk's mum, I think.

incredibily, that was Kirk's mum *character* name.

I was commenting that I still have troubles recognising Winona Ryder as the actress playing Spock's mom

Funko
18-05-2009, 08:00:06
I thought it was great. Asher = right, MOBIUS = wrong.

Although I do normally agree with the point about alternative reality plots being lazy, in this case I can't see how they could have restarted the series like this without it either implicitly or explicitly.

I liked most of the little jokes. *shrug* It was great fun. The only good Star Trek movie other than Wrath of Kahn.

MoSe
18-05-2009, 08:16:27
according to the canon timeline, Scotty should have been 35
I thought he looked a bit too young

but then hey, it's 250 years in the future....

Funko
18-05-2009, 08:25:57
Simon Pegg who played him is actually 39, I'm sure he'd be pleased.

MoSe
18-05-2009, 10:57:55
OTOH I don't have objections about Zoe Saldana who's 31 and plays a supposedly 18 Uhura
:)

I didn't know Chris Pine, I found he's the real Kirk, I always wanted Shatner to be more like him

Zachary Quinto had perhaps still a bit too much fire burning inside that he could have managed to conceal a bit more, maybe that was wanted. Did he have time to complete Kolinar before the mission? Can't recall right now.
I kept thinking where did I see him, then I ralised: Sylar from Heroes. I see on imdb that's his first movie, only TV series for him so far.

Karl Urban as Bones McCoy is imho extraordinary

Ben Cross has a Sarek-face in real-life too, finally they made a part for his face
:D

Chekov made me regret there wasn't Wesely Crusher in his place instead, says it all.

Kirk's mom had a very familiar face, I only now realize she's Cameron from House M.D.
I like her much better here albeit the small part.

MOBIUS
18-05-2009, 11:19:59
Originally posted by Funko
I thought it was great. Asher = right, MOBIUS = wrong.

:p

Greg W
25-05-2009, 04:09:09
I thought it was a good movie, as did my SO, who was annoyed before the movie, cos she wanted to see the Wolverine movie instead, but came out very happy that she had seen it. :beer:

BigGameHunter
13-06-2009, 20:39:45
Bad guy wasn't bad enough. How do you top Khan and the Borg? (Hmmmm...possible band name?)