PDA

View Full Version : Hej Scabby

Immortal Wombat
16-04-2009, 18:10:53
I'm going to Sweden for a couple of weeks this summer, have you any suggestions for interesting places?

Good places to stop on the Inlandsbanan, wonderful little-known restaurants, the best hiking trails, a convincing reason to see Göteborg? Is Tanumshede secretly really disappointing?

:beer:

Scabrous Birdseed
16-04-2009, 20:58:26
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
I'm going to Sweden for a couple of weeks this summer, have you any suggestions for interesting places?

Sure. What, specifically, would you be interested in? I see the places you've mentioned are mostly west-coast/inland. No Stockholm plans? Otherwise my home city is killer as a tourist spot, again depending on what you're after. Budget?

Good places to stop on the Inlandsbanan

Some of the places in Dalarna, like Mora are nice. Jokkmokk is pretty cool. Gällivare has a market you can hit if you like. Östersund is at least a proper town.

wonderful little-known restaurants

Mostly know Stockholm restaurants - cuisine, budget, style?

the best hiking trails

Kungsleden is meant to be wonderful, especially past Vindeln.

a convincing reason to see Göteborg

Chill atmosphere. Friendly people. Nice falafel. A couple of decent museums.

Is Tanumshede secretly really disappointing?

Probably. Never been, but Camilla Läckberg's fiction is dreadful.

---

I'll be in Falun and/or Stockholm all summer if you need a place to stay at some point.

Immortal Wombat
16-04-2009, 23:01:48
We're definitely spending time around Stockholm, and probably going to Gotland. I'm trying to figure out what else, so as to work out a transportation plan. I kinda want to get the train north, but that won't leave much time for anything else.

Budget is cautious rather than shoestring, but free/cheap things are good. In the past we have favoured wild scenery, museums, lake boats, quiet publike restaurants serving local food, and a sprinkling of interesting architecture.

Kungsleden looks amazing, but probably a bit hardcore for this one.

Turd
16-04-2009, 23:12:58
I poop on Sweden. Hmm, can a poop poop? Maybe I'll just chip a few nuggets off.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2009, 08:49:02
I can tell you my German friend who had no previous hiking experience and no equipment whatsoever comfortably (and spontaneously!) did a three-day hike on Kungsleden two summers ago. It's sprinkled with sleeping cabins and other walkers, especially at the southern end.

Gotland is probably a good choice, with some fine scenery (you might want to hit Fårö) and a pretty "medieval" city. Dalarna has some pretty nice areas (plus I'll be there) and I've always loved the scenery of inland Ångermanland, around Sollefteå. You'd probably need to rent a car to get the most out of that though. If you can make it to the mountains, in any form, that's easily the prettiest nature we have to offer.

Otherwise, I'd say devote a week or so to Stockholm and the Archipelago, which is another piece of wonderful Nordic scenery and Scandinavia's biggest. (The Baltic is pretty much a lake - the classic trip if you only have one day is to Sandhamn with Strömma Kanalbolaget.)

The town itself is great too and a real summer spot. Besides walking around Södermalm, Vasastan and Kungsholmen, you'd have to hit the Vasa Museum (obvious one) and Skogskyrkogården (less obvious one), the latter of which is a classic and true masterpiece of world architecture. Depending on the exhibitions on there's a bunch of occasionally great art museums as well. Old town is pretty but touristy, avoid Drottninggatan and Östermalm.

Swedish food is predictably not the easiest thing to find in a country obsessed with its Others. For publike I can heartily recommend Pelikan (http://www.pelikan.se/sidor/eng_index.htm) but that's notoriously un-quiet due to the acoustics. (There's a back room that's less atmospheric but mercifully noiseless.) Best value-for-money Swedish eat: the fried herring cart at Slussen. (Inside Östermalmshallen there's a pretty nice eatery too, if you want to sample a range of specialties.)

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2009, 08:52:11
Oh and honestly, do come stay at my apartment. I host strangers all the time through Couchsurfing (http://www.couchsurfing.com/).

MoSe
17-04-2009, 09:18:22
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
I'm going to Sweden for a couple of weeks this summer
:beer:

are you following England's football team?

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under21/fixturesresults/index.html

;)

Immortal Wombat
18-04-2009, 01:16:30
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
I can tell you my German friend who had no previous hiking experience and no equipment whatsoever comfortably (and spontaneously!) did a three-day hike on Kungsleden two summers ago. It's sprinkled with sleeping cabins and other walkers, especially at the southern end.

Gotland is probably a good choice, with some fine scenery (you might want to hit Fårö) and a pretty "medieval" city. Dalarna has some pretty nice areas (plus I'll be there) and I've always loved the scenery of inland Ångermanland, around Sollefteå. You'd probably need to rent a car to get the most out of that though. If you can make it to the mountains, in any form, that's easily the prettiest nature we have to offer.

Yeah. Northwestish through Dalarna might be a good start then. (Still every time I look at a map I'm amazed at how big Sweden is) If we can get to Kungsleden, then all the better.

Otherwise, I'd say devote a week or so to Stockholm and the Archipelago, which is another piece of wonderful Nordic scenery and Scandinavia's biggest. (The Baltic is pretty much a lake - the classic trip if you only have one day is to Sandhamn with Strömma Kanalbolaget.)

The town itself is great too and a real summer spot. Besides walking around Södermalm, Vasastan and Kungsholmen, you'd have to hit the Vasa Museum (obvious one) and Skogskyrkogården (less obvious one), the latter of which is a classic and true masterpiece of world architecture. Depending on the exhibitions on there's a bunch of occasionally great art museums as well. Old town is pretty but touristy, avoid Drottninggatan and Östermalm.

Archipelagos are great, I'd love to take a yacht round there (not as warm as the Dalmatian coast though, I suspect). The other trip we were planning was to Ytterby, as much for the geek points as anything else. Definitely gonna check the other things out; large cities aren't fun to wander round without places to aim for.

Swedish food is predictably not the easiest thing to find in a country obsessed with its Others. For publike I can heartily recommend Pelikan (http://www.pelikan.se/sidor/eng_index.htm) but that's notoriously un-quiet due to the acoustics. (There's a back room that's less atmospheric but mercifully noiseless.) Best value-for-money Swedish eat: the fried herring cart at Slussen. (Inside Östermalmshallen there's a pretty nice eatery too, if you want to sample a range of specialties.) Cool, adding them to the list of options.

Oh and honestly, do come stay at my apartment. I host strangers all the time through Couchsurfing. Thanks, that'd be good :) I shall confer...

Scabrous Birdseed
18-04-2009, 07:55:39
Oh, and supposedly Österlen in Skåne is meant to be beautiful as well. As another possibility. And Öland.

I'll stop now.