PDA

View Full Version : LWP - comments thread

protein
13-03-2009, 02:57:58
my drunken review.

decomposing serenity - hillarious. it's what a metal band would sound like in the star wars universe. weird little gremlin-like aliens playing for the pleasure of jabba the hut. the novelty makes me like it. i won't ever chose to listen to it again though.

flock of seagulls - i like this track. it's sort of where i am musically at the moment. bleak sounds, pre-90s synth psychadelia, purposely "bad" drumming, naive sounds and catchy hooks. everything about this song is a hook.

nancy sinatra and lee hazlewood - this is my track. i think it's fucking marvellous. you can't argue with it really. i can't think of any other song like it. the song sucks you into its world. there's a good juxtaposition going on. the production sounds, tempo, rhythm, panning and feel change under each vocal. it's like a cowboy tripping on dmt dueting with an imaginary angel. it's different, really strong and memorable. also, the sound of it is absolutely gorgeous.

workhouse movement - this sounds very dated to me. it also sounds like the sort of music they play when wrestlers/ufc fighters enter the ring. i like the main riff but it's nothing special for me. the production is alright, if a little 1992. i don't hate it, it's just not keeping my attention. if i was making an action film based in the early 90s i'd consider this for a slowmotion action sequence.

luke haines/auteurs - love the main riff, strings and feeling. great keyboard hook. i do start getting annoyed by the whispering vocal style after a bit. when that stops i really, really love the riff and hook again, then the whispery vocal carries on and i get bored. imagine if bowie sang on this song at full pelt. it would be amazing.

yes - my tune. i chose this very last minute, mainly for the production and general feel of the song because it's the kind of thing i'm into this month. from what i can make out, apart from the percussion, the entire song is performed on bass guitars. bass guitars through wahwahs, harmonised high basses, low grinding basses. great stuff. i don't even know it all that well to be honest. listen to that fucking bass though! it's a song that breaks all the rules about keeping a listener's interest so anyone who isn't sad and anal enough to enjoy the intricacies of the bass playing they will probably be very bored after a minute.

jacob miller - this is an example of reggae music. the reggae vocals, the reggae bass, the reggae drums, the reggae percussion... yeah, this is a very good example of reggae music. it's exactly what you'd expect of reggae. if someone was to pay me to go into a studio and produce a reggae song, it would sound exactly like this. i guess it's like haiku. some people like to hear their music within strict parameters. personally i'd probably enjoy it if it was on a humungous bass heavy soundsystem rattling my eyeballs while i was stoned on superskunk eating ackee and saltfish. bob marley on the other hand, now he could write songs!

john legend - awful. i mean genuinely fucking dreadful in every way. soulless, unimaginative, boring, hi fidelity music to be played in hairdressing salons, chav clothes shops or in suped-up ford fiestas. the production is abhorrent. it makes me feel physically nauseous. really, really awful. the people who recorded this have no soul or spirit of adventure.

jk - this is my tune. i hate jamiraquai, he's a little twerp and on the whole the music sucks ass. but this is an odd exception. after me slagging off the last song i look like an utter prat now, but nobody can argue that this is a pretty bad-ass head-nodding riff. i added it because i was surprised at how great it was when i heard it again the other day. if i wasn't so lazy i'd have picked a better song.

apocalyptica - sounds like a very long intro to a film noir influenced action adventure computer game. probably the music to a black and white cgi cut scene with lots of shadows, slow motion raindrops falling on cobble stones, men in trenchcoats running with guns while the lightning flashes above. it's what happens when psuedo-classical cello, euro-trance and doom metal meet. actually, german people would love that combo. did any germans contribute to this? i know hardly anything about writing music but i'm sure i could write a better cello piece than this with one arm behind my back and the other being knawed off by a flaming crocodile. and i wouldnt resort to adding lame drum machines and chugging guitars.

ultra vivid scene - i like this. i feel that it's a grower song. one that i could have happy memories to. like a combination of they might be giants, early shoegaze, pixies, stone roses, velvet underground and joy division production. it's got a euphoric teenage mdma morning after sunrise sort of feel. this would have been perfect comedown music for me when i was a bit of a tragic junkie.

mark lanegan isobel campbell - i shared a dressing room with mark lanegan in chicago once. i had no idea who he was, he was just this tattooed dude. he was the most unresponsive unfriendly git i've ever met. he seemed to just want to sit and be miserable. probably thinking about whisky, the open road, snakes, full moons, heroin, suicide and all that sort of deep stuff. then i saw him in a queens of the stone age video and realised i actually really look up to him. i have huge respect for what the chap has done. however i find this song boring and very forgetable. of all the songs on the compilation, this is the one i can't recall at all after three listens.

pendulum - duh du du duuuh in-spec-tor gad-get. pendulum used to be fucking heavy. they still have great bass sounds and stuff but now they are so well mixed, so perfectly put together, so straight down the line and broad appeal that they are kind of boring. especially as they've become a kind of d'n'b poppy version of underworld. they sound dated to me. maybe in ten years it will be interesting again. fair play to them though. they've done very well considering. i'm sure rob is in demand as a pop mixer because his mixes are so absolutely dynamically and frequency perfect.

death in vegas/iggy pop - this is a great tune. i think i might have submitted it myself in one of the previous lwps. it's a teeny bit dated but i still like it. grinding and relentless and a bit trippy.

streisand - this is magical. genuinely magical. bittersweet, dramatic, broadway, atmospheric. some of the string arrangements reminds me of the original willy wonka movie. which really get's hold of me deep inside. james' dad fucked her in the 70s. interesting factoid. does liking this make you gay?

the passions - this is fucking excellent. never heard of the song or the band before. if i'd have heard this when i was fourteen i'd have wet myself. this fits right in with my inbuilt fondness of bands like slowdive, sundays, cure, cranes, cocteaus etc. man, this is really genuinely fucking ace. it makes me actually feel some interesting esoteric emotion. which is exactly what i want from music. tragic and pretentious teenagery as that sounds.

ben marwood - i know ben marwood pretty well and really like him, i produced the demo for this song. which should make me fond of it by default. but i'm really not. it feels like a protest song with nothing really particularly interesting to protest about. ben hates digital reverb but this recording is drenched in it. i wonder if he likes this version? i think ben should ditch the acoustic and get more ballsy.

daf - this is pretty awful. no, it's crap. the sounds are all cool but it's dull. it doesn't help that a picture of a sweaty german bloke pops up on spotify when i play this. can't think of much else to say apart from it sounding like one of the songs we wrote and then ditched for the new album. maybe its a grower or something. or maybe you had to be there at the time.

mavado - this is a masterclass in high fidelity audio production. ultra-stereo autotuned vocals, polite delays and expensive reverbs, orchestral samples, everything going through audio-exciters and perfectly balanced, sharp and clean. unfortunately the song is a pile of shit and the production massively gets on my nerves. it sounds like an awful keyboard demo with loads of money thrown at it and the song is retarded pish. the vocalist can't sing and the autotune is flailing all over the place to try and correct him. boring!!!

hate me! - this is like a doomier version of iron maiden with a bit of metallica thrown in. unoriginal and entirely predictable but like all metal of this sort, it's hillariously naive and stupid and almost enjoyable for two minutes. sometimes i need to be reminded that people make this sort of music without any tongue-in-cheek comedy sentiment. i wonder if the sheer predictability of it is what draws metal fans to this sort of thing? after two minutes it's shit isn't it?

echo and the bunnymen - fucking great track! love the kind of digital arabian keyboard sound. love the 80s reverb. love the dancing bassline and minimal guitar. but this song is all about the vocal take. really passionate. i think i might have submitted this song on a previous lwp. it's great though. it's the sort of song that makes me think i missed something special by being too young and too southern in the late 80s, early 90s.

great compilation!!! :beer:

Funko
13-03-2009, 12:50:33
Decomposing Serenity: What a great choice of start song, make an impact. Any longer than 1:12 and it'd be boring, but it made me smile as an opener.

Flock of Seagulls: I quite like this. Poptastic, even the verse is a catchy chorus. No wonder it did so well.

Nancy Sinatra: This is a proper song. Great voices too. I never used to appreciate stuff like this when I was younger, but now I really do. Sounds so simple but the there's nothing out of place.

Workhorse Movement: Yeah, almost everything is wrong with it, it sounds like it was made 10 years before it actually was (2000), the lyrics are totally retarded, the riffs and bass lines are derivative or plain ripped off but I still really like it. It's fun, bouncy. I probably mainly like it 'cause it reminds me of listening to stuff like this in indy clubs 10 years before it came out. My song. If I hadn't been so busy it might not have made the cut. Sorry.

Luke Haines: Starts off really well, lots of interesting stuff going on. I thought I was going to really like it, but nothing really happens and I zoned out.

Yes: This is actually ok. As it's Yes I was expecting it to be a pretentious wankathon. Well it is a bit, but it's a short one and there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. I don't think I'd ever say "Oooh must listen to that again" But yeah, interesting to hear it once. Lots of bass.

Jacob Miller: I don't know much about Reggae. This is ok, bit repetitive. I dunno, it's very, very reggae but it doesn't grab me.

ADVERT!

John Legend/Brandy: Fuck. 30 seconds in and I want to skip it. I hate it. Utterly Depressingly Boring. Could be sung by any boy band/girl band/solo artist in any year since 1990. Nothing interesting going on at all. Maybe the last minute is amazing, dunno, skipped it.

Jamiroquai: I basically think JK is a twat and mostly don't like his stuff but this song I do actually quite like. I imagine if they got him to make a Bond Theme the production would be very similar to this. That throbbing buzzy bassline is cool, the riff's good. Shame about his whiney vocal.

Apocolyptica: I didn't realise these guys wrote their own stuff, thought it was just Metallica covers. Or is this a cover of someone else I don't know? And they have a drummer now? I like it. Second half sounds like it should be over the closing credits of XXX4 or something.

Ultra Vivid Scene: Never heard of these guys. Are they original Shoegazer or part of this Shoegazer revival I keep reading about? I like it. It's amazingly positive for such a slow meloncholy song, I think it's 'cause his voice is just so cheerful. Yeah, cool. Will probably check more out by these guys.

Isobel Campbell + Mark Lanegan: Well I normally love Mark Lanegan but never heard this. Yeah. Cool. Great song. Almost nothing going on just two nice voices singing live. Love it.

Pendulum: Possibly my most memorable gig moment ever was when they played this at Reading last year. I've never seen the whole Radio1/NME tent from front to back pogoing like maniacs, it was much heavier live though. I would probably have chosen an earlier single (which still sent the crowd mental) but they didn't have any on Spotify. This is my 2nd song.

Death in Vegas: This is fantastic. Reminds me of all those bands like Orbital/The Orb from the late 80s/early 90s. That main riff is really familiar. Did someone else sample it or is it a sample of something? Maybe I just recognise it from this.

Barbara Streisand: This is just a bit too slow. I'm bored. Sorry Babs.

The Passions: Holy shit. It's Sleeper. I had to look up who was in the band. It doesn't really sound like them musically but the voice is Louise Wener. Yeah, I like it.

Ben Marwood: My 3rd choice. Most singer songwriters are shit. Ben's good. I love the emotion he gets into his songs. I thought this was going to be the stripped down demo version which is much better. D'oh. I've never actually heard this one before. What's with the bells and bad drums? Urk. My song choices have been basically a fail. Teach me to rush.

D.A.F: hahahahaha. This is genius. I hope it was submitted 'cause it's funny though? For non German speakers he's saying get up, shake your hips, clap your hands and dance the mussolini, dance the adolf hitler, move your arse and dance the jesus christ. At the very start I thought the singer was Rob doing a silly euro accent. :lol: I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been him and Nills making a sequel to acorn member. :o

Mavado: I'm sorry Scabby, I just don't get it. Can barely hear the vocal 'cause of the autotune bounce either.

Children of Bodum: Haha Ridiculous Euro Power Metal FTW. Actually really love the guitar hook. The only reason someone like Maiden/Metallica/Megadeth are better than this is 'cause they've got better vocal melodies. I like the musical side of it, even the ridiculous solo made me smile.

Echo and the Bunnymen: Yeah, really good. I thought I didn't like Echo and the Bunnymen for ages, but turned out I did, I just didn't associate the songs I liked on the radio with the ridiculous band name.

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-03-2009, 18:35:09
Track 1- Clearly recorded inside someone's colon during a particularly violent bout of amoebic dysentry. Desperately silly, and mercifully brief.

Track 2- I'm sure it's well-known that I am a huge fan of early Industrial music, and the early Industrial scene was in quite a large way a reaction against stuff like this. I don't like this slick synth-pop, and I think that antiseptic 80's production has aged really badly. It's all so desperately bloodless- I'm reminded why I ran screaming away from this straight into the sea of blood and spunk that was Industrial/EBM.

Track 3- Well, it's a classic standard, isn't it? Yes, it's great- though I actually prefer the cover done by Roland S Howard and Lydia Lunch which is dirtier and more sleazy.

Track 4- Walks a very fine line between great and godawful, but just about carries it off. I think this might grow on me. Yes, I'm rather enjoying this.

Track 5- Mine. I'm a huge Luke Haines/Auteurs fan, especially of Haines's way of marrying beautiful hooks to incredibly sinister vocals.

Track 6- Oh dear God almighty. The thunderous onslaught of overblown dry-wank that is Yes. I can't stand Prog Rock.

Track 7- This is the obligatory LWP identikit Reggae track that I find myself forgetting even at the very instant that it hits my ears.

Track 8- Hateful. I've wandered into a mid-80's wine bar here, and I'm making a panicked break for the exits.

Track 9- OFF!

Track 10- The problem I have with this track is that I'm a huge fan of the Kronos Quartet, and what is described on the label here as "reinventing the Cello" is pretty damned conservative compared to what the KQ have been doing for donkey's years. So don't get all "reinventive" with me, Sunny Jim.
Once I'm past that hurdle, it's rather good. The melding of strings with grinding guitars reminds me of Miranda Sex Garden, and that's a good thing. I like.

Track 11- Mine. To be quite honest, I can take or leave most of Ultra Vivid Scene's work, but this song is an absolute belter. It never fails to put me in a good mood.

Track 12- Can't really comment much on this one seeing as I love everything Mark Lanegan has ever done. Love it, love it, love it.

Track 13- Ahahahahahahahaha. This is great. I'm going to buy everything they've released. Well done, whoever put this on.

Track 14- I very, very nearly put "Dirge" from the same album on this LWP. Incidentally the album version of this song is better- it's less rushed. This is still fun, though.

Track 15- Promising start, but it all gets a little too saccharine for my tastes.

Track 16- I'm sure I remember seeing this on "Top of the Pops". It's a great track. I can see myself playing it a lot for that late 70's/early 80's smoky post-punk vibe.

Track 17- I want to like this, I really do. I love singers who put that level of emotion in, but it's just not working for me. American Music Club would have done this much better.

Track 18- Mine. DAF were the band that took early experimental Industrial and stripped it down into the dancefloor-filler that became known as EBM. It's a deliberately-ridiculous take on fascism, by turning it into a stupid dance routine, but it's brilliant song to dance to. Takes me back to being 13 again, and bouncing around my bedroom while John Peel played it.

Track 19- Performs the staggering feat of being even worse than the Jamiroquai and Yes tracks. Well done, or something. Wonder what it sounded like before the producer went mad?

Track 20- This would probably sound brilliant to me if I was 12. However I like to think I'm a little more sophisticated than that now. It's all a bit silly, isn't it? They're taking it sooooooo seriously.

Track 21- A classic from my youth. It's great.

Nills Lagerbaak
13-03-2009, 18:37:36
decomposing serenity – would you believe me if I said this wasn’t my choice?

Thought not. Anyway, discovered these lot whilst surfing spotify. I love their song titles …‘Explain the screams and buckets of blood’ Also they are all no longer than 50s. Yep, Goblins and trolls - Excellent!

flock of seagulls. Sounds like the guy who produced this could have worked on the Top Gun soundtrack. Reminds me of a folk-y Billy Idol. Like it.

nancy sinatra and lee hazlewood. Great collage of sounds, I don’t think I’d ever sit down and listen to it though – don’t know why.

workhouse movement – Not bad but I think there are much better examples of this genre out there. Kyuss springs to mind.

luke haines/auteurs – Interesting tune with a good mix of instruments / sounds, but seems to meander a bit meaninglessly.

Yes – This tune would definitely entice me to explore the album further. I imagine it sits in the middle of the album, I’d like to hear a track with vocals. Also imagine it sits on a ‘concept’ album! Vould imagine some cool concepts – reminds me a little of the prisoner

Jacob Miller – This is my favourite tune from the film ‘rockers’ which is awesome. Like all reggae I think the story of the tune is as important as the sound and this fitted very satisfactorily in the film.

John Legend Ft. Brandy – I find the production on this quite lavish and it is a lot less offensive than a lot of ‘RnB’ I could mention, but it really isn’t something I’d ever listen to.

Jamiroquai – I love the intro to this song and then am always disappointed by the song itself cos it’s a bit too happy (I feel exactly the same way about the beach boys – good vibrations). That said if you can ignore his fucking annoying ‘scatting’ or whatever you call it, it is quite PHat.

Apocaliptica – I really like the plonky double bass vs. the chello lead. Interesting tune but I doubt I’d listen to it unless it was backing to a computer game or something.

Ultra Vivid Scene – I like this song, vocals could easily be ‘build a little bird house in your soul…’ I couldn’t listen to more than about 20seconds of it though that fuzzy guitar sound is horrible. Actually it’s come to the end and nothing’s really happened, tad boring.

Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan. – I would like to hear this live, maybe at a festival for about 10 mins. then I’d probably be asleep or looking for Children of Bodom. Also don’t you hate it when people whoop in the middle of acoustic songs? So pointless. Recorded in the US methinks.

Advert – do I have a lousy broadband connection? Yes, but only because it isn’t as fast as they said it’d be…

Pendulum – Ah pendulum. I thought their first album was genius as each song seemed to have layers of tuneage to keep me interested.. I think everything they’ve done since sounds a bit samey no? Pulsating bass with the same lead synth over the top. Consider ‘Omen’ by the prodigy that could have been written by Pendulum, but that tune has more to keep me interested. Also think they should now be known as pioneers of chav n’bass.

Death in Vegas – Like this tune, reminds me a little of Apollo 440. I could imagine mashing this up or possibly cranking up the RPM. Good stuff.

Barbara Streisland – Anyone else see similarities with Kate Bush? Really too young and heterosexual to listen to this, but I appreciate that it’s a good song. One again, mash it up or speed it up :D

The passions – I like the guitars on this, but I find the delay OTT, it begins to pulse, sounds cheap. The song starts off quite well, but doesn’t really go anywhere for me.

Ben Marwood – I think Ben has a voice that could almost be unique, but isn’t quite, which is pretty critical in his style.….Also what’s going on with the bells?? Apart from that I really like the song.

D.A.F – Brilliant, I am dancing like Adolf Hitler right now.

Mavado – Not a genre I know a great deal about, it’s what I’d expect to hear at an ‘urban’ night…I heard a lot of good stuff in Kenya that I believe sounded ‘real-er’ that this!

Children of Bodom – Hmm, I think Metallica etc. comparisons are a little unfair, as keyboards are at least as important here as the guitar, I’d say comparisons with Dragon force would be more accurate. Anyway I chose this basically on the back of the live video. All I can say, if we say Pendulum are like a Dance act doing a bit of metal then these guys are a little like the opposite - metal doing rave, their fans certainly behave so.

Echo and the Bunnymen – Think this may grow on me, sounded a bit gimmicky at first what with the Indian music sample, but yeah, it’s growing on me.!

Debaser
13-03-2009, 23:26:22
Decomposing Serenity - Stupid, just stupid. And the picture that comes up on Spotify looks like the kind of artwork that Protein used to make for Sonic Undermind, which doesn't help me take it seriously.

A Flock of Seagulls - My song. Recently at work we've been listening to an awesome early-80s broadly new-wave internet radio station, pretty much 'cos they play lots of The Cure. This was one I first heard on there.

Some Velvet Morning - A classic. Seedy and sexy.

The Workhorse Movement - Sounds like St Anger era Metallica covering The Fun Lovin' Criminals, ie: unfathomably bad.

Luke Haines - Sounds very melodramatic, and those strings sound very 90s. Hard to tell if there's a good song underneath, I don't think there is. Wouldn't go out of my way to hear again.

Yes - I quite like a bit of Yes, though I'd not heard this before. It's a good track, though gets a bit "Santana" towards the end. Sound like it's from the soundtrack to a forgotten sub-Dirty Harry film from the 70s. A good thing.

Jacob Miller - While I'd agree Rockers is a good film, this track is unremarkable to my ears, though granted it's a genre I know nothing about and have no real interest in. Pleasant enough, certainly not particularly offensive.

John Legend feat Brandy - There isn't enough brandy in the world to make this enjoyable.

Jamoriquai - Ok, that squelchy synth riff is quite good, but this is essentially the sound of cocaine. Was this the theme song for that Godzilla film? Good film.

Apocalyptica - Weird. Why would anyone want to listen to that? What occasion would that soundtrack? Not enjoyable in any way. Can't see any merit to it at all really.

Ultra Vivid Scene - Kind of reminded me of Eels at first, then it didn't, then I just sort of stopped paying attention. Not bad, not anything really.

Isobel Cambell & Mark Lanegan - I like Isobel Cambell's solo albums and all the Belle & Sebastian records she made, and I like Mark Lanegan in QotSA and Screaming Trees, but together they just sound like a hollow empty version of Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood, ripping off the style without the songs to back it up.

Pendulum - Computer game music. All Pendulum songs sound the same. Horrible album covers too. And that keytar they use live annoys me. I skipped it after about 10 seconds.

Death in Vegas - Good song, not heard it for a while. Seems like it came out a long time ago now, and perhaps hasn't dated too well. Horrible guitar sounds.

Barbara Streisand - Does her surname really have no L in it? Crazy. And I hope that is the real album cover that comes up on Spotify. Worth listening to for the Martin Rushent fucking story, but awful in every other way. Grim mawkish broadway shit.

The Passions - Mine. Another cut from the 80s internet radio station. I just like that 80s, tons of compression, tons of reverb, sparkly and optimistic sound. This could be on the soundtrack to any great John Hughes. It probably is actually.

Ben Marwood - I also know Ben Marwood, and can't really listen to him. I just don't think he's as good as he thinks he is. It's all a bit cringy. Don't tell him I said.

D.A.F - I like this. My girlfriend seems less impressed. Reminds me of Electric 6. Probably has a good video. Could be from any time between about 1981 and now. I'm getting bored now and not writing in proper sentences.

Mavado - I reckon this is what footballers listen to in their massive cars.

Children of Bodom - Stupid, but makes me want to watch skateboarding vidoes on youtube.

Echo and the Bunnymen - Mine. A great band, so many good songs. Everyone who likes this should get their best of, it's really great.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-03-2009, 16:04:40
Decomposing - This sits a bit uncomfortably between zany math-grind-death-whatever and something more repetetive, scaled down and avantgarde. It's too restrained for the former and not gratingly hypnotic enough for the latter, so I think I'd rather listen to some Ocrilim or something.

Flock - One of my favourite synth-pop bands of the eighties because they always managed to keep that little hint of dystopia tucked below their shiny, whiny surface. Other songs of theirs are a bit more tarnished but this hit works too.

Nancy and Lee - Nancy's 3/4 sections are really annoyingly chirpy. Lee's crazy meter experimentation kinda saves it but I like his Swedish material better.

Workhorse - Anonymously straddling dead nineties genres of puerile nothing-rock.

Haines - More college radio fodder, this time with a goth-whispering wannabe, hipster-growling his way up his own personal rock'n'roll arse.

Yes - I'm actually growing increasingly fond of the daft jazz-funk end of prog. This could run in the background without me getting up and punching the DJ.

Miller - An oft-covered classic of the Rockers era (which I've always found a bit lacking consdiering its immediate successor, Dancehall). This particular example clearly needs more snare.

Legend - Mine. The only genre that's really adapted to the new social climate of the recession is, in my mind, R&B. When I couldn't find any of my top five choices on Spotify I settled for this, which explicitly spells out the worried zeitgeist. And, brilliantly, turns it into a plea for sex.

Jamiroquai - Sigh. Jay Kay gives us seventies soul fans such a bad name. The synth sound is nice, I guess, but the way it's all put together makes me cry from weariness.

Finnish dudes with cellos - Straight off the latest muzak-manipulative Hans Zimmer soundtrack. I can imagine Christian Bale doing fascist things to this.

Scene - I love the earnest droning quality to this, the home-brew chord (non-)progression in the verses included. If only they'd kept it up for the chorus and the (blech!) bridge.

Isobel & Mark - Not one of Lanegan's brightest moments, is it? House of the Rising Sun + Some Velvet Morning.

Pendulum - This sounds like a run-down version of The Presets covering something written in 1992. Once it kicks in it's not bad, but there's plenty better and more up-to-date chiptune-meets-rock than this. Hate the Doctor Who references.

Babs - Mine. Rupert Holmes is an insane, acid-dropping pop-musical tinkerer with a weird sense of rhythm and texture. The album he recorded with Streisand is easily her best material.

Marwood - Sticky, shiny, fly-attracting retro indie. I may have to go take a shower.

DAF - Utter classic, obviously. Any combo of teutonic fascism and subversive androgynous disco is alright with me.

Mavado - Mine. Only the combination of gangster preacher Mavado and 17-year-old producer Stephen "DiGenius" McGregor can produce something this huge. Possibly the best new track off the brand new album, it's got earnest gospel, militaristic fantasies, hollywood glory and deep levels of atmosphere. What it hasn't got is a song structure, but hell.

Bodoms - Er, I like the clean C64-style riff and the ending is nice. Otherwise, meh.

Bunnies - I can't say this is actively bad but I really have a hard time penetrating mid-eighties rock like this. It's like mediocre new wave with saxophones, and I've not been able to pick up the positive qualities that no doubt are there.

Immortal Wombat
15-03-2009, 04:35:26
1. Decomposing Serenity - Given the band name, I assume this is music written by Reavers. And presumably for Reavers, because I can't imagine anyone who hasn't surrendered their humanity actually enjoying it. I'm not entirely against the use of undead jibbering in music, but I would suggest that this track takes it a bit too far.

2. A Flock of Seagulls - This sounds like it comes off the soundtrack of The Breakfast Club. I would normally join the anti-80s-synth-pop team, but I actually like this.

3. Nancy Sinatra - I'm sure I've heard a different version of this somewhere, but I can't recall by whom. It was more aggressive and less subtle than this. I like this one. Great duet.

4. Workhouse Movement - Well, it rocks. It rocks in a fairly generic way, and the vocals weren't really thought through musically or lyrically, but it's still ok.

5. Luke Haines - This, however, rocks in an interesting way, and I'm a sucker for anything with a decent riff and some strings. Like it.

6. Yes - I can never get over the feeling that prog rock would actually be pretty interesting if it wasn't always twenty minutes of rambling too long. This song almost persuaded me that even that wasn't true, but as it sounds very much like the first two minutes of a twenty minute epic, I don't think it would be fair to judge. So basically what I mean is: Yes, there is an interesting idea, but instead of making a track, they just played the same two bars eighty times. It's not that I don't like this, but it disappoints me.

7. Jacob Miller - Nothing in this song catches my interest in any way. What does it do?

8. John Legend - And this is the music that my generation ran screaming from. I've tried, but I don't see the appeal. On preview: turning it into a plea for sex would be more impressive if RnB songs weren't already overwhelming pleas for sex.

9. Jamiroquai - The main appeal of Jamiroquai is now kitch value, and this doesn't have any.

10. Apocalyptica - This is mine. It's the only track from "Reflections" on Spotify. As I may have mentioned, I'm a sucker for some strings, and yes, it makes a good soundtrack to computer games.

11. Ultra Vivid Scene - I quite like this. It's a shame they went the Jesus and Mary Chain route of putting constant feedback over everything - that crap gives me a headache.

12. Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - I didn't mean to submit a live version. Still, I love this album: it's very pretty.

13. Pendulum - a rare example of DnB I can actually tolerate. Again, prefer the earlier stuff, but still better than most.

14. Death in Vegas - This was my third. Guess everyone is familiar with it. It grinds so good.

Advert - hehe "The Script" sounded like "The Squits"

15. Barbra Streisand - This is clearly good music, and in the right mood, I'd certainly like to hear it again. But I can't imagine ever being in that mood while still possessing testicles.

16. The Passions - The opening minute and the album art had me thinking A-Ha. Then the lyrics kicked in, and I began to think I'd prefer A-Ha. Lacks passion. Alternatively, I've got to that point in an LWP review where the cynicism starts winning.

17. Ben Marwood - My sister would like this. I was bored and confused. What was this song about? Who stole his sound? Does using the word "I" 18 times in two minutes make you a bit of a twat?

18. D.A.F. - Dancing Adolf Hitler? This song is a bit silly. That doesn't generally stop me listening to song though, and it's in German, which usually adds to the amusement level of any song. I'm not sure it holds my interest though.

19. Mavado - I so nearly skipped this, but after the overblown production starts, it starts to appeal to the same part of my brain that makes me listen to E Nomine banging out a German techno testament. It's all over the place, and if this were in a language I don't understand, I'd probably love it. Worryingly, it may yet grow on me.

20. Children of Bodom - This is the kind of stupid generic power metal that I've spent the last eight years trying to get internet recommendation engines not to recommend me. Nothing in this really stands out.

21. Echo and the Bunnymen - 80s rock I can either love or hate as the mood takes me. I've not heard much by these guys, and I can't say this really inspires me to hear more, but for what it is, it's a pretty good tune. Good ending.