PDA

View Full Version : FM 2009 - Talk of the toon

King_Ghidra
11-03-2009, 09:39:20
I bought FM 09 last night. First footy manager game i've played since 03-04 i think.

For my first adventure I have taken on the challenge of solving the sphinx-like riddle that is Newcastle United. I shall be posting my tale in this thread.

As with all new clubs, the first task is to root out the dead wood. In Newcastle's case this means several players of debatable talent and massive salaries. Shola Ameobi and Geremi were quickly dispatched, and i'm doing whatever i can to offload Damien Duff. Nicky Butt could soon follow, i am sure that after i stripped him of the vice-captaincy and brought Alexei Smertin in on trial he has guessed his days are numbered. Fatty Viduka is currently overpaid, overweight and injured, but he has only one year on his contract so if it doesn't work out with him i won't be heartbroken.

The squad is really not bad too apart from that. It would be nice not to be paying Owen 125k a week (double the next best paid and four times the first team average) but i imagine when he's fit he will show some value. In fact one of the major problems is having several of the best players on the injured list.

In an early press conference my promises of a sensible attacking apporach were well-received, and given that probably 95% of the decent players are forwards there doesn't seem to be much other option in the short-term.

Final success of the pre-season has been off the pitch, where i was able to agreee the termination of Dennis Wise's contract by mutual consent. Little shit still took a million quid for the privilege. Bizarrely the club had about six scouts and only three coaches, so i've made some strides there too.

A couple of wins on tour against lower league opposition are boosting confidence, and so far is all rosy at St James'.

Funko
11-03-2009, 10:11:24
:beer:

Fistandantilus
11-03-2009, 10:20:04
Nice post :)

As an fm addict I'll follow this and laugh at you when you'll curse Owen for getting injured every couple of months :p

King_Ghidra
12-03-2009, 09:17:16
Post-season finished well. Managed to offload a couple more expensive players (bye bye alan smith) and bring in a couple of solid defenders and midfielders (bizarrely the fans have taken to alexei smertin more than anyone else, he seems to be one of the main factors the fans and board consider when evaluting my mnanagement skills...).

REALITY CHECK

First three league games of the season all lost. Two own goals scored during those games! :clueless:

Two subsequent 1-0 wins steadied the ship, but these were followed by further defeats, including a painful 2-0 home defeat to Middlesbrough that seeems to be burning long in the board and fans' memory. I locked the players in the dressing room after the game and gave them a piece of my mind.

Since then things have picked up a bit, and have won the last two. Morale seems a lot higher now, though some players still seem to doubt my ability, and language problems dog the team.

Advanced through two rounds of the league cup against weak opposition, but now face Liverpool in the round before the QF.

Oh and Fist, yes, Owen is constantly fucking injured. Can't wait for the season to end and offload his useless ass.

Currently: P11 W4 D1 L6
League position: 14th

Funko
12-03-2009, 09:41:06
Newcastle's actual results this season for 1st eleven games: dwlllllddlw

P11 W2 D3 L6

9 points to your 13

Fistandantilus
12-03-2009, 10:04:44
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
Oh and Fist, yes, Owen is constantly fucking injured. Can't wait for the season to end and offload his useless ass.

:D

I spoke from experience, the one time I managed Newcastle I had the same problem. I never check the editor but Owen hidden 'injury proneness' stat must be really high.

You're doing not bad for Newcastle, does Ashley still want to sell the team?

King_Ghidra
12-03-2009, 10:06:43
Man City are top of the table btw. They bought gareth barry and wagner love amongst others.

Funko
12-03-2009, 10:09:34
Possibly deserving of a different thread but is Wagner Love the best footballer name ever or what?

King_Ghidra
12-03-2009, 10:19:11
It's right up there. On that topic, in my searches for players yesterday i turned up a porto player called Hulk.

http://www.fcporto.pt/English/players.asp?lg=eng&idEpoca=363&idCompeticao=34&idJogador=28572

Funko
12-03-2009, 10:20:46
Incredible.

King_Ghidra
13-03-2009, 09:27:04
Half-way point of the season

P19 W7 D3 L9
League Position: 11th

Heading in the right direction. Sadly dumped out of the league cup by liverpool, but the more important league results have been heading in the right direction. Best result of the evening was a 2-0 defeat of arch-rival Sunderland. Massive kudos gained from that. A 2-2 draw with Chelsea (who are now joint top of the league with man city) was another big result.

Finally seem to have found a style that suits the majority of the team, playing a slow tempo, short passing game in a 4-4-2, with either a flat or diamond midfield depending on who is in the team.

The assistant manager feedback during the game is brilliant, love the way it helps you to target problem areas and make tactical tweaks.

Into the January transfer window now and have managed to offlaod a couple more malcontents as well as picking up andry kerzhakov from dinamo moscow and elano from man city (they are just buying everyone. last purchase arteta from everton) Sadly i now have some big names attempting to woo my argentines, with liverpool sniffing around colocinni and milan targetting gutierrez. milan have made a 13m bid but i think i'm going to turn it down. I'm trying to build something here.
owen and viduka will soon be on their way. when i signed kerzhakov, viduka came out saying he was worried he was being replaced. i said that was very definitely the case and he was no longer needed and viduka responded by saying great i'm happy here :clueless:

Originally posted by Fistandantilus
You're doing not bad for Newcastle, does Ashley still want to sell the team?

Not from what i can see. I am playing the 9.0.3 patch with all the latest data, so i don't know if that was one of the changes.

King_Ghidra
16-03-2009, 09:55:16
Oh boy.

After about two thirds of the season i was sitting happily in mid-table. Suddenly, inexplicably and unstoppably everything went to shit. We went 14 games without a win to the end of the season, dropping like a stone and finishing in 17th place, even being in the bottom 3 at one point on the final day.

I can't explain it. I tried everything, every tactical combination, player combination. There was no particular morale problem in the squad, no particular injury problems, the player ratings weren't bad, but it just wasn't happening for me.

Anyway, somehow i kept my job, mainly it seems because of my tremendous success with the wage bill.

So now into the close season and finally got rid of Viduka and Owen. Coloccini also went, Liverpool came with 17m and i couldn't say no. I replaced him with a very decent finnish centre back, Passanen. Also just signed the Golden Boot winnner, a french striker named gombis. He's my record buy and i've invested a lot of cash and hopes into him.

The squad is now younger, cheaper, better coached and less injury prone, so hopefully things will pick up again in 09-10. This season the board expects nothing more than avoiding relegation. Top half will be my aim.

Chelsea won the league, edging out Man City (still buying everyone).
Arsenal won the FA cup and european cup, beating Real Madrid in the final.

Funko
16-03-2009, 10:17:15
I can't explain it. I tried everything, every tactical combination, player combination. There was no particular morale problem in the squad, no particular injury problems, the player ratings weren't bad, but it just wasn't happening for me.

I wonder how many real Newcastle managers have felt like that.

Fistandantilus
16-03-2009, 22:24:58

Not from what i can see. I am playing the 9.0.3 patch with all the latest data, so i don't know if that was one of the changes.

It's pretty random but I saw him selling the club quite a lot in my games, maybe your way of managing kept him happy (seeing as you did good financial wise it's not difficult to believe :))

Sad to see Coloccini go, he's world class (unlike Owen :cough cough:) but I guess you can't keep him in a team fighting to avoid relegation.

Good luck in the rebuilding, time to bounce back from that spell of bad luck you had. Looking forward to it.

MattHiggs
18-03-2009, 16:51:11
Update?!??!?

Greg W
19-03-2009, 02:12:30
Interesting. Always been tempted to get into the series, but could just never bring myself to do it. I think I even bought a version back in '05 or so, but just couldn't get into it. Mainly I think cos I had no idea what I was doing, and I seem to remember people telling me that my tactics wouldn't work too well. Something about playing certain formations being necessary to win and I think that put me off it.

Makes for an interesting read though and almost tempts me to get into the game.

King_Ghidra
19-03-2009, 09:21:55
Originally posted by MattHiggs
Update?!??!?

On tenterhooks are we? :hmm:

Sorry, won't be getting back into it again til the weekend probably.

MattHiggs
19-03-2009, 16:00:57
Yes, I think it's more fun reading about a well told story of FM than actually playing it. It kind of removes the middle-man.

The Shaker
19-03-2009, 20:11:40
maybe we could do an Ebbsfleet.

We all vote for the players he buys, and KG does the playing the actual game and tactics (the bit that always goes wrong for me)

Funko
20-03-2009, 09:09:36
Doesn't sound much fun for K_G.

The Shaker
20-03-2009, 18:48:01
Who cares about that loser anyway?

King_Ghidra
23-03-2009, 21:40:45
*ahem*

SEASON 2009-10

I realised i forgot to mention relegation and promotion, so Stoke, Hull and Wigan went down, and Birmingham, Preston and the mighty Reading came up (Reading as champs of course).

Pre-season was an absolute flurry of transfer activity. All in all, i bought 41m of players and sold 55m. This included shifting Elano on to Barca for 6m more than i paid, only 6 months after he joined. Highlights inbound were bringing in Balotelli from Inter and Beckham from LA. I also added another coach or two, including Toon legend Peter Beardsley.

All this transfer activity caused some consternation and disruption but ultimately i feel like i have now moved on all the bad apples and have a squad of players who i can go forward with.

The wage bill is now 400k under the 985k a week budget, which is earning me tremendous kudos from the board.

Currently 5 games into the new season.

P5 W3 D0 L2
Position 10th.

It can only go wrong from here...

Greg W
24-03-2009, 00:52:09
Highlights inbound ... Beckham from LA ... but ultimately i feel like i have ... a squad of players who i can go forward with.

The wage bill is now 400k under the 985k a week budget, which is earning me tremendous kudos from the board.:eek:

I would have thought Beckham was somewhat past his best? Though to be honest, I haven't followed him at LA or Milan. Also would have thought his wage bill would have been astronomical... :confused:

Good start to the season though. :beer:

King_Ghidra
24-03-2009, 09:10:22
Yeah he is joint best paid player at 75k a week. He's 34 but his stats are still very good and crucially he's absolutely awesome from set pieces, which is something i really lacked. He's scored twice already this season and had an assist or two so the on-field contribution is definitely worth it.

Off-field of course he not only boosts shirt sales but keeps everyone at the club happy by being a prestige player that makes them feel good about where the club is going. So a good buy all round really.

King_Ghidra
24-03-2009, 09:20:58
Oh and he's a great captain too. Best buy evah!1!!11

Greg W
24-03-2009, 12:29:33
Fair enough then. Was more his skills I thought would have dropped a bit, but as I said, I haven't been following him, so if he's working, great. :beer:

Fistandantilus
25-03-2009, 12:10:50
Yeah he is joint best paid player at 75k a week. He's 34 but his stats are still very good and crucially he's absolutely awesome from set pieces, which is something i really lacked. He's scored twice already this season and had an assist or two so the on-field contribution is definitely worth it.

Off-field of course he not only boosts shirt sales but keeps everyone at the club happy by being a prestige player that makes them feel good about where the club is going. So a good buy all round really.

This thread was great.. then Ancelotti stole KG's login :(

King_Ghidra
13-04-2009, 08:36:33
:D

Season 09-10 is over, and another 17th place finish.

It seems the board know the game a lot better than i do, because that's two struggles against relegation predicted and two struggles against relegation achieved.

It was long hard season, with few bright spots. My transfer dealings remain my most significant achievement. My shining hope, golden boot winner Gombis, was offloaded to Man City mid-season after one goal from 16 games. I managed to make a 6m profit on the deal, but that's all the comfort i can take from that fiasco.

Amusingly City also bought our mutual ex player Elano back from Barcelona after he played 4 games all season for them. That gave him 23 games in two seasons with a 6.24 avg. Well worth 13.75m :clueless:

The main problem all season was the defence. I shipped a hell of a lot of goals, despite often playing two defensive midfielders in front of a back four. I guess it must come down to raw player quality, though i thought i had a pretty decent back line. Major target for the off-season will be a real defensive stud.

Joey Barton was the fans player of the year. Beckham acquitted himself very well, especially rallying the troops in the last few weeks of the relegation battle. He finished with 5 goals and 9 assists from 36 games. I'm happy with that.

My managerial relations with the media suffered several dips with my poor form. Also i somehow got into a war of words with Sunderland manager Terry Venables, but i've made friends with Steve Bruce :o

In general news, Chelsea did the league and cup double, retaining the title.
Arsenal retained the European cup.
England lost to Argentina in the World Cup QF.

King_Ghidra
13-04-2009, 17:28:52
Oh and Italy won the World Cup :D

I got two defensive studs. Ivan Ivanov and Simon Kjaer. 12m each, and both greeted rapturously by the fans and senior ex-players.

Funko
14-04-2009, 08:55:23

Funko
29-04-2009, 14:44:10
Wonder how this would go down:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(football)#2-3-5_.28The_Pyramid.29

Fistandantilus
30-04-2009, 12:12:49
It has been tried and failed miserably afaik :D

There was someone on the official forums who was able to employ a 2-4-4 formation with some success tho, but that's against the AI, it didn't survive the fm live challenge.

Greg W
17-06-2009, 06:43:32
Any updates? Or has the game gone on a break between seasons?

King_Ghidra
23-06-2009, 12:03:50
On a break. WoW, and as of this friday Blood Bowl have my attention.

King_Ghidra
10-08-2009, 06:30:04
Back!

Season 10-11 underway

My two defensive studs are doing the business, but somehow I am still leaking loads of goals. It is truly baffling.

So far:

15th place W3 D3 L9 F18 A25

King_Ghidra
10-08-2009, 07:09:46
I also racked up my 100th game for the club, which typically was a 1-0 defeat to Middlesbrough in the derby.

That said I have managed 3-3 and 1-1 draws with Liverpool and Chelsea respectively, so I know my guys are good enough to mix it. It's this kind of thing thy makes it difficult to understand why we lose to shit.

King_Ghidra
10-08-2009, 08:18:37
The weakest area of the team now seems to be the fullbacks. I haven't had a really good one who can support the attack in any of the 3 seasons. Elsewhere the team is as good as at any time under my management imho.

My off-season transferring saw a couple of underperformers and squad players moved on and the arrival of Cavenaghi from Bordeaux for 18m. He has been well worth it so far. A couple of other new players look very promising. Ghioane, a romanian midfielder has a good attacking flair, and Niki Zimerling, a Danish midfielder, has had amazing ratings whenever he's played. The midfield is packed with decent players though.

Apparently i have pretty much been exactly even in my transfer balance so far. c. 140m of players bought and the same amount sold. In fact the club finances are unequivocally my greatest managerial success so far.

Current first XI and backups:

Balotelli Cavenaghi
(Toivonen/Kerzakhov)

Gutierrez Collinson Cattermole Beckham
(Ghioane/Barton/Shirokov/Zimerling/R Taylor/K Lualua)

Pasanen Ivanov Kjaer McMahon
(Hreidarsson/Johnson/Murray)

Harper
(Soderberg)

King_Ghidra
10-08-2009, 09:59:07
Oh and one of the directors bought out Mike Ashley to take over the club. The deal was on and off for a bit but eventually went through, sadly with absolutely zero impact for me, as no new funds were made available or changes made of any kind.

Funko
10-08-2009, 10:01:41
That's quite a cool detail.

Interesting reading still.

Greg W
10-08-2009, 12:49:55
Out of curiosity, does there seem to be much impact on team stability through transferring what seems to be a large number of players (that could be a misconception of course)?

Can you tell where the goals against you are being scored? Analyse any kind of pattern perhaps?

King_Ghidra
10-08-2009, 13:10:54
There's been no impact in terms of morale. Generally whenever i've sold one player on i've been bringing a replacement in, so that seems to even any morale issues out. There haven't been any problems with cliques of players or anything.

It's a good point about the goals though, i haven't really checked too much on the detail to see if for instance, it's set pieces or whatever.

My feeling from the match text is that i'm just being carved up in open play. I've not been beaten in the air much or conceded from free kicks particularly that i recall.
I always make adjustments in the game as recommended by the asst. mgr. e.g. showing certain players on to their weaker foot, or closing down creative players etc.

Ultimately i think the premiership is just very strong :D My team is average to poor by prem standards, even with all my tinkering. The fact that every season i've been tipped for the drop, that every season the board have expected a relegation battle, suggests that the game (i.e. the internal engine) knows that my team is not relatively good by prem standards. I'm obviously just an optimist or self-deluded :D

Funko
10-08-2009, 13:24:31
You must fit in well at Newcastle then. :)

King_Ghidra
12-08-2009, 08:20:25
Just over halfway though the season now, and still holding steady in 15th place.

I had two almighty thrashings at the hands of Man U and Liverpool last night, 6-0 each time. Bizarrely, statistically, they were amongst my better games, with more or less equal numbers of chances etc. In the Man U game i even had an equalising goal disallowed at 1-0. Man U and Arsenal are running away with the league, i think Man U were P20 W19 D1 last time i checked.

Anyway other than that i've had some decent results against teams at my end of the table, putting me towards the top of a 'relegation pack' of about 6 teams that are a little way off the rest. I also delivered a 5-0 mauling of Doncaster in the FA Cup, the reward being an away day at the Emirates...

Man U came in for one of my aforementioned defensive studs, Ivanov, when the transfer window opened. They offered 25m, but in a structured deal with most of the money in subsequent seasons. I went back with an offer more cash heavy and they withdrew it. However since then Ferguson and Ivanov have been stroking each other off in the press and i'm actually hoping they come back with another offer. I will certainly take it.

I'm trying to sign the Argentinian under-20 captain, a good left back, to sort some of my own problems out, but i'm having work permit issues annoyingly.

In other amusing transfer news Juventus have bought Elano off Man City for 12.25m, which means since i sold him to Barca for 13.75m and they sold him back to man city for 13.75m that he has been the subject of nearly 40m of transfer fees despite playing only 4 games in 2 seasons (no injuries, just not selected).

The PC does have a fetish for hoarding players at rich clubs. I was recently in pursuit of an out of favour Berbatov at Man U but he naturally turned down my overtures for the delights of AC Milan. Only a few months later he is now pleading for first team football, having not played a single game yet.

King_Ghidra
14-08-2009, 08:32:01
We plough on.

25 games gone, 14th place. Some valuable wins against the teams i should be beating.

Arsenal dicked me 5-0 in the cup, and my two young lads who came in for the occasion have probably been put off football for life.

Man U came back, but not for Ivanov, for my other defensive stud, the one who gets significantly poorer ratings, Kjaer. 21m represents a 9m profit.

Bought Joe Ledley to be my new left back for 4m and about to spend 10m on Dortmund's Subotic as a replacement for Kjaer. Easily as good.

According to the overall stats for my game i'm the 3rd biggest spender on players among all active managers. And i'm way way way in front as the top seller. Over 150m of players sold in 2 1/2 seasons :lol: Next closest is about 90m.

Man City are hilarious in my game. They sacked Hughes some way into the first season and got Rijkaard in. He took them to 2nd place. They sacked him in my current season when they were languishing even below me at one point. They then brought in some mexican guy, Aguire, who lasted 61 days. Now Van Basten is in charge and his position is already precarious. They've just spent about 30m in this transfer window and have the top value transfer in every season since the game started.

fp
14-08-2009, 11:37:41
Apart from finishing second in the first year, that probably is exactly what will happen at Man City. :D

Thanks for the updates - v interesting :beer:

King_Ghidra
18-08-2009, 21:06:14
End of the 10/11 season. Life is good.

Finished 12th place.

W13 D6 L19 F45 A65

A marked improvement on previous seasons. Finally consistently beating the kind of teams i would expect to see us beat. Still conceding too many goals, but those mainly occur in matches against the big boys.

The board offered me a new contract with a 10k pay rise, which i gladly accepted. They also added over seven thousand new seats to the stadium.

Man U won the league, picking up 98 pts.
Chelsea retained the FA Cup
Real Madrid beat Inter in the CL final. No english club even made the Quarter Finals!
Man City won the UEFA cup

Arsene Wenger and i have become friends :lol:

AND I HAVE FINALLY GOTTEN RID OF THAT FILTHY FUCKING SPONGING GYPSY BASTARD DUFF

Greg W
19-08-2009, 01:49:55
:lol:

Good to see you finally doing ok. Was there anything you did that you think changed things, or just finally the football gods smiled on you?

King_Ghidra
19-08-2009, 08:04:37
Umm two things.

Better players. Better in the sense that some players i had bought in previous seasons finally came good. And better in that some that were bought in this season were ready-made good. The team is all in the early to mid twenties now so i suspect they will be even better next season.

More canny tactics. Specifically I changed my tactics more for away games and got some nice results scoring on the counter attack.

Fistandantilus
19-08-2009, 08:56:12
AND I HAVE FINALLY GOTTEN RID OF THAT FILTHY FUCKING SPONGING GYPSY BASTARD DUFF

:lol: damn salary eater

King_Ghidra
19-08-2009, 09:18:31
He was still the second best paid player in the squad at the end of my 3rd season.

65k a week. More than 10k more than the third best paid player. In fact his wage alone made up 10% of the whole fucking squad's weekly wage payments.

King_Ghidra
01-09-2009, 09:29:42
Season 11/12 underway

The watchwords are consistency and progress. The board expect mid-table safety.

First task, keep the team together. Finally some of the players seem to respect me and want to stay. Sadly there is one exception, my best player Balotelli. He owes it to himself to join a bigger club. I owe it to myself to slap a 20m price tag on him and reject all offers. No one has made a Godfather type bid yet, and deadline day approaches fast.

I picked up some good players for not much. Bendtner, languishing in Arsenal's reserves. A new starting goalie (whose name i have rather embarassingly forgtten). This was a key signing, i realised recently that Steve Harper had probably the worst average rating of my first XI. I got slightly sticthed up here as although the goalie i eventually signed was good, i earlier had a real world class guy lined up at a steal, but Arsenal came at the 11th hour and snatched him.

Beckham is heading into probably his final season as a pro. He and Barton are vice-captain and club captain respectively for the third season in a row now.

Three games into the new season so far:

2-3 vs man city
0-5 vs liverpool
3-0 vs portsmouth

Man City was a sickener, 3-0 down at half time. The other two games show pretty much where i'm at though.

A final sign of my immense stature in the footballing world - Bosnia & Herzigovina and Senegal both came hunting for me to manage them. Not yet boys, not yet.

Greg W
01-09-2009, 14:45:35
Funny re-reading your adventures at Newcastle and comparing them with mine at Blackburn. Your wage bill and transfer totals are waaaay above what I could afford, though I guess I haven't even looked at the values of some of my better players (such as Santa Cruz) cos I have no intention of selling them. ;)

But a 5 million transfer budget for me is hard to stretch too far. Especially when I barely know what I am doing, lol.

Diouf is unhappy with me as a manager though, thinking someone with as little experience as I have won't do well in the Premier League. Should offload him I think, hasn't done a lot. :p

King_Ghidra
01-09-2009, 15:12:31
yeah, on the wages subject - i got a new laptop recently and installed FM on that and started a game with real madrid just as a test. madrid's wage budget was just over 700k/week. that's 200k/w less than newcastle... The thing is, if i maxed that out, the club would be bankrupt. it is totally unsustainable.

re: the manager rep. ditto, i've seen the message a lot that 'x player seems to be struggling to motivate himself to play for a manager of your standing' or similar. But it's hard to know how much of an impact that really has. the players still have good morale etc. some of those personal intangibles are just impossible to gauge. perhaps there's a FM site out there that dishes the stats.

King_Ghidra
11-08-2010, 16:37:44
So a new football season, a new flush of excitement, and so I picked up the reins of the always interesting Newcastle United once more.

Oh Lord what a baptism of fire.

I don't think the team won in my first nine games. There were some serious thrashings.

This guy:

I picked up some good players for not much. [...] A new starting goalie (whose name i have rather embarassingly forgtten). This was a key signing.

turned out to be absolutely fucking dire. He shipped 18 goals in 6 games before it dawned on me that a 6.12 rating and the fans and board telling me he was a bad signing probably meant enough was enough. I replaced him with a kid who had been my 3rd goalie for years and who since then has already managed two Premiership young player of the month awards in about six months. I finally sold the original guy no for no loss other than to my reputation.

No on could score. Several players morale hit rock bottom. Many players were showing as unable to motivate themselves to play for me. Balotelli, by far my most talented player, was playing shit and not playing for me. He wanted out.

We got knocked out of both cups in the third round.

To cap it all, Cavenaghi, my best striker (not saying much at this point), got a broken leg.

The Toon had hit (almost) rock bottom, 18th in the prem and the media calling for my head.

Then somehow, something changed. We had a couple of wild games, including a 5-4 away win in which Kerzhakov and Bendtner suddenly exploded into life. Beckham's form appeared again, belying his 36 years. We beat rivals Middlesborough 3-0 in the league.

As 2012 dawned, i shipped Balotelli out for 20m and took the chance to move some other negative forces out too. In came more players who made a better fit with the squad's highly determined character. Falcao, from the Milan reserves, for 15m immediately appears to be my best striker, and will help while Cavenaghi recovers.

So now, with c. 22 games gone, the Toon sit in a fragile 14th place, with a decent buffer down to the relegation fodder. Mid-table safety is close.

King_Ghidra
12-08-2010, 13:52:47
In other amusing transfer news Juventus have bought Elano off Man City for 12.25m, which means since i sold him to Barca for 13.75m and they sold him back to man city for 13.75m that he has been the subject of nearly 40m of transfer fees despite playing only 4 games in 2 seasons (no injuries, just not selected).

Brilliantly since i wrote this, Barca bought him again, this time for 15m, and now, having only played 1 game for them in ten months, he has asked to be put on the transfer list and barca just offered him to me again :lol:

This means in four seasons he has been the subject now of over 60m worth of transfer fees for the sum total of 20 games of football :clueless:

King_Ghidra
12-08-2010, 16:51:24
The season is over. 14th place is more than a little disappointing, but the second half of the season was a marked improvement on the first. Either way, the board are pleased, probably not least because we made a profit of nearly 50m this season. This was also far and away the best attended season, with an average attendance of over 53000, nearly 6k higher than the previous average, and comfortably the 3rd best in the Prem League. Newcastle are now the 27th richest club in the world.

As a sign of my great worth the board just offered me a new two year deal at double my previous wages. 44k a week, thank you very much.

On the pitch:

Man U (Now managed by Roberto Mancini) narrowly won the league by 3 pts from Arsenal, who i actually beat 1-0 in the final few weeks, arguably the killer blow to their title hopes.

Reading, Fulham and Southampton were relegated. Southampton set a League record with 36 consecutive winless games.

Hull, Wigan and Stoke will be the lambs to the slaughter next season.

Man U won the League cup vs Liverpool
Arsenal won the FA cup vs Man City.
Man City retained their UEFA cup vs Roma
R Madrid retained the Champions League vs Juventus
England went out of the EC at the semi-final stage to eventual winners Spain

The season's overall record:

W13 D5 L20 F48 A70

The bottom line was a far too porous defence again. The early season goalkeeping nightmare was one factor, but even near the end of the season i took a 4-0 whipping away at Birmingham. Sometimes the game is a mystery to me.

One of the greatest highlights of the latter stages was a 5-1 demolition of arch-rival Sunderland. It was the kind of game you dream of in FM.

Falcao proved to be a monster purchase, with 8 goals in 13 games since he arrived.

Looking forward, Beckham will be moving on, and at 37, probably to retirement, but apart from that i hope to keep pretty much everyone. I already have Fabio (one of the Man U fullback twins), Reading defensive wunderkind Michael Martin, and a new backup keeper coming in, but apart from that, pretty happy with the team so it'll just be a case of upgrades where available.

Next season will be the watershed. I can only take so much of this simmering underachievement.

Oh finally, a special word for the Newcastle reserves, who lost every single one of their 18 games, scoring 3, and conceding 80. :lol:

King_Ghidra
18-02-2011, 15:18:18
Halfway into the 2012-2013 season and Newcastle sit comfortably in 10th place.

Some excellent results this season, including a 3-0 win over Chelsea, and at one point we managed the unheard-of feat of a six match unbeaten run.

Best move for ages was kicking the underwhelming assistant manager Chris Hughton (yeah, him) into touch and bringing in Graeme somebody or other who's stats are much better.

New keeper Alex Smithies has been absolutely amazing. Fabio continues to impress at left back. Falcao and Alexander Kerzhakov are still banging them in up front, and Kazenga Lua Lua has come on leaps and bounds at right wing.

I just picked up Darren Bent for a cut-price 2.5m, Liverpool taking a mighty loss on a 16.5m transfer after he fell out with the manager.

Team morale and togetherness is at an all time high, and eyes are focusing upward for the first time in, well...ever. We'll see what the second half of the season holds in store.

King_Ghidra
20-02-2011, 18:53:22
2012-13 season comes to an end and it is our best ever, with a 9th place finish

W12 D16 L10 F55 A61

Some great results in the latter half of the season (a 4-0 thrashing of Everton was a highlight) and a couple of nice unbeaten runs, and pretty consistent throughout. Clearly the defense is still a problem, but this is probably more down to my buccaneering style rather than being crap (although we set a new record with five clean sheets in a row this season).

Falcao and Kerzhakov both broke the previous record for goals scored in a season, and Darren Bent chipped in with some great goals too.

Pre-season signing Sisi has proven himself a top class winger (broke the club record for assists), and the emergence of Michael Martin (touted, terrifyingly as the new Wes Brown) in centre defence and particularly Alex Smithies (already a target for Barcelona) in goal made a big difference.

Gohkan Gonul has already joined on a free (to widespread adulation from the fans and Kevin Keegan) and will fill a troublesome right-back spot, and I have three other very good players lined up on free transfers for the off-season, and expect to keep everyone else (despite several players having their heads turned by transfer interest).

Financially it was a mammoth season, with revenues buoyed by our highest ever avg. attendance, 54,654 and our best place finish netting us a cool 12m. Also i didn't really splash the cash on transfers, with 20m left in the kitty at season end.

Around the World:

Prem Champs: Man U retained the League title by a good margin from Arsenal
Relegated: Stoke, Wigan, Hull (the 3 promoted clubs)
League Cup: Man City
FA Cup: Chelsea
Champion's League: Real Madrid made it 3 in a row, beating Man U
UEFA Cup: Villareal prevented Man City from making it 3 in a row with a win on penalties.

jsorense
23-02-2011, 22:12:36
King G,
Have you always loved talking to yourself soooo much? :cute:

Fistandantilus
24-02-2011, 15:01:12
Yer such a party pooper j.

novacane
15-03-2011, 20:38:52
Shrewsbury Town fans honour Reeves

Shrewsbury Town fans are absolutely ecstatic at winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, declaring immediately that they hoped Craig Reeves would remain in charge for the foreseeable future.

One delighted fan added that he would be naming his new-born child Reeves in memory of this incredible victory.

But only after he'd checked with his wife first...

Leyton Orient 1 -3 Shrewsbury Town
Wembley

Little do they know that this is merely the beginning.

Funko
16-03-2011, 08:22:42
:lol: